People's United Bank Employee Reviews

Decent Position
Banker (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTJanuary 2, 2019
My favorite aspect of People's was the staff. This naturally varies branch to branch but I had a positive experience with my managers and co-workers. At the heart of the job is sales and they do a good job at preparing you to engage with customers. Some goals are stretches, especially given so many variables that can really add unneeded stress. Either you're comfortable with sales or you're not. If you are and that's what you enjoy, the opportunity and growth is amazing. If that's not up your ally then look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible hours, Strong coaching, Opportunity for movement
Cons
Working every other weekend, Hard to get time off at times
Fun job if you enjoy selling
Banker III (Former Employee) –  VermontJanuary 3, 2019
When I started this job I absolutely loved it. I loved the people I worked with and helping customers. But it has become a selling game on how many credit cards you can push down peoples' throats. For those who like selling it is a great job and you can get bonuses for it. However, make sure you are good at it because if you are not hitting your goals managers are constantly on you and it is stressful.
Pros
Great people to work with, good vacation time
Cons
mircro-managment, stressful sales goals
Worked with some wonderful people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 13, 2018
My co-workers were the best thing about this job. Vermont is a very socialistic state, and $14 per hour can't hope to pay rent, car payments and grocery bills . . . It is so expensive to live there and so i had to leave because I couldn't pay for basic necessities that were easy to pay for in the other States in which I have lived.
Pros
Co-workers - wonderful people just drudging it out
Cons
Low Pay in a High Rent state
Great place to work!
HR (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 28, 2018
The company values their employees and this is demonstrated through development opportunities as well as incentives for performance. Management is approachable and works with employees to meet professional goals. Collaboration between lines of business allows employees to succeed together, one of our guiding principles. The company as a whole is committed to giving back to our communities and employees are encouraged to volunteer locally. Overall, People's United Bank is a great place to work!
Avoid this bank even if you need a job
Relationship Manager / VP (Former Employee) –  Danvers MassachusettsNovember 1, 2018
Incredibly high turnover of employees as well as mid & senior management. Primary concern is for stockholders and management positions. Constant change in systems. Crisis management style,
Pros
A check. A place to perch before you find the right job.
Cons
Health care is poor. Poor management. Constant change in management and processes.
Fine company and okay culture
Back Office - Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  New EnglandSeptember 20, 2018
People's United Bank is a fine company to work for, but the technology is dated and career advancement options tend to be a bit limited and slow to come to come around (depending on your division). The culture is definitely positive, with a consultative sales approach in retail banking, and they have recently started to embrace the idea of coaching versus a traditional and strict 'command and control' Overall, worth taking a look as a future employer.
Great Career Advancement with Reasonable Goals.
Sales and Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 5, 2018
People's United Bank is a unique financial institution that offers employees the option of working in a traditional 'brick and mortar' building with guaranteed Sundays off, or the more flexible 7 day a week Stop and Shop locations. The traditional branch are great for people who need Sundays off and enjoy working earlier in the day. The Stop and Shop locations are full service branches that generally offer faster career development and days off during the week as well as rotating weekends. I have had a great experience working for People's United Bank and have received much support from Senior Officers who take the time to know the name of their employees. The goals are tiered and achievable.
Pros
Quick Advancement, and Great Reward and Incentive Program
Cons
Short Lunches (30 mins)
Fine but nothing great
Securities and Income Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTSeptember 4, 2018
Work can move between overly stressful and fast paced to mundane and slow over the course of the month, week, or even individual work day. Would not recommend for individuals who have a tough time dealing with stress.

Management is relatively easy to work for and approach on most issues albeit slightly out of touch with worker morale on a day to day basis.

Benefits and job security are the main reasons to stick around as both factors are enough incentive to weather the stress storm if high paced work is something you handle well
Enjoyable when technical support, teller was not
Sr. Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoyed the job 80% of the time before I moved to Concord and was a teller. The expectations were unrealistic and stressful. You didn't meet the quota, you received not increase end of year.
Pros
Great co-workers, benefits other than pay were good.
Cons
Pay was lousy.
Wonderful company to work for in regards to managment and job culture.
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTAugust 30, 2018
I loved working for People's United Bank when it was just People's Bank. Excellent customer service and wonderful opportunities for growth. The only thing I struggled with was the job work/life balance. The bank later on expanded and started to become bigger and that is when things started to slow down in regards to customer services, and pay.

Want to know more about People's United Bank?

Ask a question
Great Career
Financial Servies Professional (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 22, 2018
Earlier in my career as an individual contributor I developed strengths in sales and relationship management as a financial advisor. When promoted to management, I gained expertise with operations, budgeting, strategy formulation, finance, human resource management, product management, and project management. All these experiences have been foundational to all of my career efforts.
Pros
I always had a great boss for 14 years, but not the last year.
Cons
The last boss due to a bank merger.
Lead Sorter
Leader Sorter and Operator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 5, 2018
Supervision of sorter room operations; execution of computer programs; operation of check sort equipment; sorting; packaging and courier services for cleared checks; distribution of sorted material as necessary for Business and Personal accounts.
Great place to start career in banking.
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTOctober 18, 2018
This is by far a great bank to work for when you are starting out your banking career. The training is A1 and they definitely get you prepared before sending you to the branch. The only thing I can say needs improvement is the pay.
Rewarding work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stowe, VTAugust 1, 2018
Problem solving , people relations, cash handling, sales, fun place to work. Meet all kinds of people. I learned people skills, problem solving, cash management, finding needs. The sales for different products and telemarketing were the hardest part. Management was was very good. The most enjoyable was fulling customers needs
Pros
Benifits
Flexibility with work schedule
Banker I (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 23, 2018
Having a good team makes all the difference as in any job. Upper management seems to create an unmotivated work environment. Although there is opportunity to grow, there is a thought of whether or not it is worth it due to lack of compensation among competing banks and receiving all the blame with no kind of realistic help
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Upper management
great job for advancement and good pay
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 20, 2018
I work with a great team. We are constantly working in fast pace manner. But support each other which makes work fun and pleasant.
Management is very considerate of our personal lives and helps with accommodating for shift alterations or days off.
Great place to work.
Residential Investor Delivery Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTAugust 27, 2018
Great place to work. Opportunities for advancement. An overall good working environment. There is continuous training and opportunities to enhance you ability. Great benefits...retirement, health care, flexible PTO, etc.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits
Cons
productive and fun place to work
Customer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 14, 2018
met a lot of great business oriented people. Fun place to work and make lasting friendships. very fast paced and always learning something new. training program is very detailed and easy to adapt to.
wonderful coworkers and environment-impossible to survive on wages and expensive benefits
Trust Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Williston, VermontDecember 25, 2018
The coworkers I had at People’s were by far the best thing about this company. The team attitude this company has is great. We were always doing lunch’s and pot lucks. The PTO was great. The dental and vision were great. The 401(k), IRA, FSA/HSA matching were all great. However the cost of the health insurance benefits was ridiculously high. $100 for a single person, who didn’t smoke, bi-weekly. Getting paid bi-weekly also sucked. The pay was ok for a single College kid, but not survivable for Vermont beyond that. Training was spotty, inconsistent, and unreliable. Management was new to the bank and department which added additional challenges.
Overall I would recommend it for anyone just starting out but not for people with families. Maybe for upper management it’s worth it.
Pros
Great co workers, Great atmosphere, Team work, Great matching, Fast paced
Cons
Stressful, Disconnected management, Expensive health insurance benefits, Unlivable wages, Bi weekly pay
Productive works environment
Banker II (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYNovember 15, 2018
People's United bank was a good work environment because they motive you when you change your position but they don't have a good salary. I'm trying to change my career.
Pros
Good vacation time
Cons
Low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at People's United Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight