People's United Bank Employee Reviews for Banker

Productive, busy fast paced environment
Banker III (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 20, 2019
Busy days filled with a lot of multi tasking and customer service. I've learned great time management and efficiency working with team members along with meticulous transaction processing however not much help from supervisors and management when needed during operational aspects of the job.
Poor upper management
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMay 28, 2019
Had a horrible experience from my first day. My supervisor was absolutely terrible. She was rude and talked about everyone behind their backs. When brought to hr and upper management they didnt care clearly. Went threw months of trying to have a better experience for nothing they refused to believe their new supervisor was absolutely rotten to her employees not to mention all the ethics issue that they turned a blind eye to.. such a shame. I went into the company looning for a career only to find out how shady things really are on the inside.
Pros
Cons
Had to pay to park to work. Horrible management. Goals unreasonable. Unhealthy environment.
Banker IV (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTApril 24, 2019
In the beginning I felt overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge that was thrown at me so quickly compared to others. In the the end, I have noticed the gradual learning of the products services that Peoples United Bank offers and I have been a real asset to my branches accomplishments. I have opened business, checking, saving and CD accounts with knowledge that I did not possess prior to being employed at PUB.
Pros
Gained knowledge
Cons
Do not like working on Sunday and I need FT hours not PT
Bad culture and no benefits
Banker (Former Employee) –  New City, NYMarch 11, 2019
Working here was just a transition phase for me as id previously lost thr startup opportunity. The people were not happy and i was working there whilst looking for other work
just a number
Banker III (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTFebruary 5, 2019
This company is a numbers driven company. They only care about sales and $$. They don't care about their employees , only what the employees bring to the tables and how much you can sell
Pros
hours
Good Job To Get Business Experience
Banker III (Former Employee) –  Jaffrey, NHJanuary 24, 2019
This job requires an extremely high amount of precision and accuracy since money-handling and data entry are the primary functions. Benefits are good, but like all banks the pay for tellers is not enough for the amount of perfection you are expected to maintain.
Pros
Good benefits and experience
Cons
Like all banks, not enough pay for tellers
Fun job if you enjoy selling
Banker III (Former Employee) –  VermontJanuary 3, 2019
When I started this job I absolutely loved it. I loved the people I worked with and helping customers. But it has become a selling game on how many credit cards you can push down peoples' throats. For those who like selling it is a great job and you can get bonuses for it. However, make sure you are good at it because if you are not hitting your goals managers are constantly on you and it is stressful.
Pros
Great people to work with, good vacation time
Cons
mircro-managment, stressful sales goals
Decent Position
Banker (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTJanuary 2, 2019
My favorite aspect of People's was the staff. This naturally varies branch to branch but I had a positive experience with my managers and co-workers. At the heart of the job is sales and they do a good job at preparing you to engage with customers. Some goals are stretches, especially given so many variables that can really add unneeded stress. Either you're comfortable with sales or you're not. If you are and that's what you enjoy, the opportunity and growth is amazing. If that's not up your ally then look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible hours, Strong coaching, Opportunity for movement
Cons
Working every other weekend, Hard to get time off at times
Terrible job
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTDecember 22, 2018
Disrespectful to employees
Big on favoritism
Terrible management
Childish employees
Childish tasks
Not big on career development
No work/life balance
Could do a lot better
Banker III (Current Employee) –  West Haverstraw, NYOctober 12, 2018
I cannot speak for other markets, but the Westchester/ Rockland market needs work. The turnover rate is too high because outside hiring is encouraged more than hiring from within; and even when they do hire from within, it is usually based on favoritism and not who really deserves it. There are unnecessary meetings and conferences held weekly by upper management, claiming that it is to "help" branches attain their goals, when really it is only a waste of time. The goals themselves are unrealistic, as they do not seem to coincide with demographics. How am I supposed to sell a certain amount of credit cards or loans of any kind to an area that is not particularly affluent? This company has no financial advisors that are bilingual in an area that is 90% Hispanic, and then hold YOU directly accountable for not reaching branch goals.
Not to mention the technology is incredibly outdated, and that makes selling this bank even more difficult. Customers prefer a faster, more efficient way to do their banking these days. Meanwhile, almost all of these ATMs still require ENVELOPES for a simple deposit and even CASH deposits are not made available immediately.
Also, because of the increased in-store approach to banking, "bankers hours" are a thing of the past. Be prepared to work 9am-7pm shifts consecutively (especially if you're short staffed, which is ALWAYS in this market), and still only have a 30 min break. In-stores are also allowed to have only ONE employee running the entire branch if you're an "Advantage Center" because of the money counting machine available in certain branches.
  more... While transactions are handled more quickly, it inhibits actual customer interaction. I cannot cross sell as efficiently or better help a customer with a serious issue, all because I am left alone... all because the company deems this acceptable.
They're making it more obvious that WE are expendable, and it is only a matter of time until we are, and all of banking will be done solely online.
Your branch coworkers will be the highlight of your days while working here, and that's about it.
Pros
Expensed travel, flexible hours if you're in an in-store branch, OT available almost always, lots of training available
Cons
Everything I wrote.
Banker IV (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 7, 2018
Great place to work. Many of the same customers come in daily so its nice to see friendly faces. Always a fun atmosphere and not a job that you dread going to every day.
Flexibility with work schedule
Banker I (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 23, 2018
Having a good team makes all the difference as in any job. Upper management seems to create an unmotivated work environment. Although there is opportunity to grow, there is a thought of whether or not it is worth it due to lack of compensation among competing banks and receiving all the blame with no kind of realistic help
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Upper management
productive
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYJune 20, 2018
I work at Peoples and it was a productive environment. . I work with really great people. i was also taught leadership skills. I knew a lot about leadership skills. i also met the CEO and the customer experience leader they all with promote you into what is really needed.
Good job
Banker III (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 5, 2018
I enjoyed my coworkers and the managers at my branch helped create a very positive team dynamic.

Working in a customer facing role always has its challenges and that may have been both the most difficult and most rewarding part of it.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Not the most competitive salary
Fun work environment, though more sales oriented than service
Banker IV (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 3, 2018
The focus is on sales while still a service industry which feels like a failing choice, but the employees and management are nice and understanding. You have to speak with about 100 people a day, many are very nice and enjoyable, some customers can be difficult. The job can be pressuring, but most of the time it is easy going as long as everything is filed correctly. Management is understanding about learning new procedures, so you don't feel like you have to learn something new over night.
Pros
Medical Benefits, corporate discounts, tuition reimbursement, potential overtime, vacation pay
Cons
unpaid lunch, some hours are non-flexible, difficult customers
very demanding
Banker III (Former Employee) –  CTMarch 22, 2018
This is a very sales heavy job. Don't even bother applying if you can't handle it. There is a pressure to be perfect all the time because of constant surveys and fake shoppers assessing your customer service performance.They expect you to do everything under the sun. From being a teller, to a personal banker, to having responsibilities similar to a supervisor without the pay to back it up. It's a good place to gain the experience but that's about it. Nothing is ever good enough, They always demand more with very little appreciation of their employees and what you've done. My advice is if you're looking to advance in banking learn as much as you can at People's and then leave to another bank that treats their employees better and has higher pay.
Pros
Hours, holidays off, Pto
Cons
Short breaks, stressful sales pressure
easy to move up
Banker IV (Current Employee) –  Winsted, CTMarch 21, 2018
easy to advance working for this company. huge focus on customer satisfaction, typical bank very sales oriented. if you do what youre supposed to youll be ok.
Good experience
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAFebruary 20, 2018
I learned a lot while working there. would be good for students. coworkers were friendly. was a busy branch and could use updated equipment. convenient hours.
Banker III (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 24, 2018
Management changes quickly here, do not get to attached to your manager because it will change. High sales goals for small branches make it impossible for pay outs. You are expected to many things that are not a part of your job titles and then will not be paid for it either.
workplace culture
Banker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
For the most part i like my co-workers and i love the kind of job i do since i love to interact with my customers. That company do micromanagement. They do not give the employee good pay increase just few cents every increase.
Pros
they match 4% on the 401k
Cons
Micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at People's United Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

People's United Bank Reviews by Location