People's United Bank Employee Reviews

Productive, busy fast paced environment
Banker III (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 20, 2019
Busy days filled with a lot of multi tasking and customer service. I've learned great time management and efficiency working with team members along with meticulous transaction processing however not much help from supervisors and management when needed during operational aspects of the job.
Strong teamwork ethics
Banker III (Former Employee) –  Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua NH 03060June 17, 2019
I enjoy working with the public and creating a rapport with customers. I enjoyed being part of financial problem solving for customers. Peoples offered online and instructor driven courses.
great team low pay
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTJune 6, 2019
Worked in busy branch and opened accounts on the line. The pay was low for what you had to do and the hours were late. Other than that the team was great and work place too.
Pros
team
Cons
pay
Its okay
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  New EnglandJune 4, 2019
There is nothing inherently wrong with People's United Bank, but they are also not doing anything exceptionally well.
The pay is fair, there is some opportunity to explore career paths, and the benefits are middle-of-the-road.
Its a good place to get some experience and then move on when you're ready for the next step.
Standard financial environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 2, 2019
There are some good points and bad points. The good points are that they seem interested in improving their products and services, have a professional environment, and they provide good benefits. On the other hand, there are too many meetings, the workload is heavy, and there are a lot of bureaucratic tie-ups that get in your way.
Pros
Bonus, stock options
Cons
Heavy work load, spotty guidance
Enjoyed working there
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CTMay 29, 2019
Received regular promotions delivers great customer service values customers . Worked there for 7 years grew a lot during that time. Recieved mortgage as well as other certificatifications
Poor upper management
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMay 28, 2019
Had a horrible experience from my first day. My supervisor was absolutely terrible. She was rude and talked about everyone behind their backs. When brought to hr and upper management they didnt care clearly. Went threw months of trying to have a better experience for nothing they refused to believe their new supervisor was absolutely rotten to her employees not to mention all the ethics issue that they turned a blind eye to.. such a shame. I went into the company looning for a career only to find out how shady things really are on the inside.
Pros
Cons
Had to pay to park to work. Horrible management. Goals unreasonable. Unhealthy environment.
Great to work,, However
Senior Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Southport, CTMay 25, 2019
Peoples United Bank is a great place to work for if you want to continue your education. They have tuition reimbursement and the is a people-friendly work environment. However, People's United Bank tell you there is room to grow but they never live up to their word
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
No room to grow
Fast paced banking environment
AVP, Financial Service Manager (Former Employee) –  MaineMay 18, 2019
Worked there for several years as a branch manager. Small staff at the bank which made it difficult to schedule people without going overtime. Many weekends and later days due to the paperwork that would pile up for loans or new accounts. Great training and regular staff meetings to help improve your skills. Higher sales goals for mortgage and investment goals which made it tough to reach but while I was there i made some decent bonuses and was able to win a few awards.

Peoples is very focused on sales and service and the environment is best suited for those with a lot of energy drive and focus.
Pros
Great training and salary
Cons
Long hours and high sales goals
Mercenary and Deceptive
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  VTMay 10, 2019
Began with very strict background check, drug tests and fingerprinting. A demeaning process, especially if you have nothing to hide. Management piles on extra work cold calling to sell to current customers after business hours for which no overtime is paid.
Pros
Weekends off, except when you rotate into a Saturday at another branch!
Cons
Management is about the bottom line, NOTHING else.
Unorganized local Bank with poor management and technology looking to grow
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 7, 2019
Be forewarned !!!
Taking a opportunity with People's United Bank will be more of a punishment than a career path.
The organization does not invest in their "people" with training and development. Everything you learn will be on the job, and your skill set will no longer be applicable to anything outside of retail banking. And to be clear, their retail banking system is from the stone age. You will be learning how to bank with systems and methods that are 10-20 years behind competitors. People's has not made any major investments in technology at their branch locations or technology advancements such as Apps for their customers. They have a repeat strategy year over year, with failing track records.

As a branch manager at People's United Bank be ready for a hectic seven day work week with 10+ hour workdays. Several challenges in your role responsibilities such as: untrained staff with no skill set and lack of resources to get them up to speed. Unattainable sales goals which you are accountable and underdeveloped co-managers (if you are lucky enough to have one at your branch). Also, be ready for broken promises from leadership with no transparency.

For customers of the bank, please know that you should anticipate a very broken service process. What would normally take 3-5 business days at any other bank, will take up to one month to complete at Peoples. Take your money elsewhere! Unless of course, you'd like to open a low paying CD account so that the bank can lend it out at a much higher rate to the same customer base.

Recommendation to People's: INVEST in your
  more... PEOPLE! STOP hiring big wings that cannot push for innovative change throughout the organization. Perhaps that will help with the retention of talent at your local branches. INCREASE your pay rates for branch level employees so that you can actually compete with your competitors. Good talent is hard to come by and People's has not yet realized that (oh wait... that is still downloading).  less
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
No work life balance, Bad compensation, long hours, horrible technology, high turnover of employees, upper management unwilling to help, unwilling to change
Banker IV (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTApril 24, 2019
In the beginning I felt overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge that was thrown at me so quickly compared to others. In the the end, I have noticed the gradual learning of the products services that Peoples United Bank offers and I have been a real asset to my branches accomplishments. I have opened business, checking, saving and CD accounts with knowledge that I did not possess prior to being employed at PUB.
Pros
Gained knowledge
Cons
Do not like working on Sunday and I need FT hours not PT
Rewarding and Challenging
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 21, 2019
I loved working with a team of highly skilled individuals. Conducting weekly coaching meeting to improve sales was a highlighting point of my position.
High School all over again
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 19, 2019
Terrible work environment. Very negative management. More focused on what you do wrong, then what you are doing right. Management encourages backstabbing and juvenile behavior.
Pros
Cafeteria in building
Cons
poor management, nasty co-workers
Too much stress, not enough reward
Senior Member Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport, MEApril 13, 2019
High stress environment geared towards sales incentives and quarterly earnings for the bank. Personally would not work for company again as they are not very understanding about family dynamics
Great opportunity
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTApril 9, 2019
Got to learn more about data entry and analysis which should help me a lot in future employment. All my coworkers were very helpful and answered any questions, there was no time at which I couldn't get help from someone
Pros
Amazing work staff
Cons
I couldn't work there longer
Very friendly and family oriented company
Senior Commercial Lending Representative (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 5, 2019
People's United is a great place to work. They treat the employees very respectfully. They have great training for excelling in your career and they believe in all of their employees.
Pros
Family like atmosphere
Cons
The pay is less than other banks but advancement is perfect
Cubicle life
Loan Maintenance Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 4, 2019
Simple, easy, boring work. Office setting. Nice desk and good computers. Clean. Good break room. Nice location. Just had difficulty getting promotions. Hiring managers didn't see your education or potential, just your current job duties. Made good relationships with other departments and people came to me directly for help. I just wasn't intellectually stimulated and couldn't see myself sitting in a cubicle for the rest of my life
Pros
Stable, predictable, easy to get time off
Cons
Promotion, pay
A Quiet and (semi) Rewarding Grind
BSA/AML analysist ̴ Intern (full time) (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTApril 1, 2019
As an Intern at People's United Bank you should expect two major work traits; those being consistency and repetition. In my experience the managers would explain the basics of the work they'd expect from you and then essentially leave you to be. For the majority of my time there the manner of my work could basically be considered a complex matching game. The work is very tedious at times! The managers do not easily allow you to work on more complex and important projects. The culture at this job is at sometimes enjoyable but mainly employees stay within there small groups and don't socialize. You will learn a how to operate and manipulate a healthy amount of relevant computer programs; which I'm hoping will prove useful in future position within the field. Overall, this job is perfect for those who are looking to make an entrance into the field.
Pros
Semi-liberal phone policy; Great managers!
Cons
Expensive company lunches
Bait and switch
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 1, 2019
If you enjoy working 60 hours a week on salary pay, never seeing your family, and receiving nothing but grief after putting everything you have into servicing your customers, this is the job for you. Sales are all that matter and the payout system is a joke. $160/quarter after taxes if you're able to meet your rediculous goals on skeleton crews. If you can't make your goals be ready to feel the wrath. They promise the world to get you in but don't deliver and have you driving all over creation for your first 6 months but set your "home branch" far from home so that they don't have to pay you mileage.
Pros
Cons
Stress, no work-life balance, poor incentive plan.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at People's United Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight