People's United Bank Employee Reviews

Decent Position
Banker (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTJanuary 2, 2019
My favorite aspect of People's was the staff. This naturally varies branch to branch but I had a positive experience with my managers and co-workers. At the heart of the job is sales and they do a good job at preparing you to engage with customers. Some goals are stretches, especially given so many variables that can really add unneeded stress. Either you're comfortable with sales or you're not. If you are and that's what you enjoy, the opportunity and growth is amazing. If that's not up your ally then look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible hours, Strong coaching, Opportunity for movement
Cons
Working every other weekend, Hard to get time off at times
worked more than 5 years
Banker II (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTDecember 26, 2018
good team work, excellent coaching, friendly culture, lot of work duties, learn all banking skills at one place, under one title, more scope to grow,
wonderful coworkers and environment-impossible to survive on wages and expensive benefits
Trust Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Williston, VermontDecember 25, 2018
The coworkers I had at People’s were by far the best thing about this company. The team attitude this company has is great. We were always doing lunch’s and pot lucks. The PTO was great. The dental and vision were great. The 401(k), IRA, FSA/HSA matching were all great. However the cost of the health insurance benefits was ridiculously high. $100 for a single person, who didn’t smoke, bi-weekly. Getting paid bi-weekly also sucked. The pay was ok for a single College kid, but not survivable for Vermont beyond that. Training was spotty, inconsistent, and unreliable. Management was new to the bank and department which added additional challenges.
Overall I would recommend it for anyone just starting out but not for people with families. Maybe for upper management it’s worth it.
Pros
Great co workers, Great atmosphere, Team work, Great matching, Fast paced
Cons
Stressful, Disconnected management, Expensive health insurance benefits, Unlivable wages, Bi weekly pay
Terrible job
Banker IV (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTDecember 22, 2018
Disrespectful to employees
Big on favoritism
Terrible management
Childish employees
Childish tasks
Not big on career development
No work/life balance
Worked with some wonderful people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 13, 2018
My co-workers were the best thing about this job. Vermont is a very socialistic state, and $14 per hour can't hope to pay rent, car payments and grocery bills . . . It is so expensive to live there and so i had to leave because I couldn't pay for basic necessities that were easy to pay for in the other States in which I have lived.
Pros
Co-workers - wonderful people just drudging it out
Cons
Low Pay in a High Rent state
Fast-paced business environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTDecember 11, 2018
The bank is definitely a great place to begin your working career. I worked here for 2.5 years and I'm thankful for the managers and coworkers that I had along the way.
Great place to work!
HR (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 28, 2018
The company values their employees and this is demonstrated through development opportunities as well as incentives for performance. Management is approachable and works with employees to meet professional goals. Collaboration between lines of business allows employees to succeed together, one of our guiding principles. The company as a whole is committed to giving back to our communities and employees are encouraged to volunteer locally. Overall, People's United Bank is a great place to work!
Productive works environment
Banker II (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYNovember 15, 2018
People's United bank was a good work environment because they motive you when you change your position but they don't have a good salary. I'm trying to change my career.
Pros
Good vacation time
Cons
Low salary
The Most Enjoyable Job
Teller 1 (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTNovember 7, 2018
This has been one of the best places I have worked for and will love to work for once again if it came down to it as the treat everyone in the work place like family.
Lead Sorter
Leader Sorter and Operator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 5, 2018
Supervision of sorter room operations; execution of computer programs; operation of check sort equipment; sorting; packaging and courier services for cleared checks; distribution of sorted material as necessary for Business and Personal accounts.
Avoid this bank even if you need a job
Relationship Manager / VP (Former Employee) –  Danvers MassachusettsNovember 1, 2018
Incredibly high turnover of employees as well as mid & senior management. Primary concern is for stockholders and management positions. Constant change in systems. Crisis management style,
Pros
A check. A place to perch before you find the right job.
Cons
Health care is poor. Poor management. Constant change in management and processes.
Great place to start career in banking.
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTOctober 18, 2018
This is by far a great bank to work for when you are starting out your banking career. The training is A1 and they definitely get you prepared before sending you to the branch. The only thing I can say needs improvement is the pay.
productive and fun place to work
Customer Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 14, 2018
met a lot of great business oriented people. Fun place to work and make lasting friendships. very fast paced and always learning something new. training program is very detailed and easy to adapt to.
Could do a lot better
Banker III (Current Employee) –  West Haverstraw, NYOctober 12, 2018
I cannot speak for other markets, but the Westchester/ Rockland market needs work. The turnover rate is too high because outside hiring is encouraged more than hiring from within; and even when they do hire from within, it is usually based on favoritism and not who really deserves it. There are unnecessary meetings and conferences held weekly by upper management, claiming that it is to "help" branches attain their goals, when really it is only a waste of time. The goals themselves are unrealistic, as they do not seem to coincide with demographics. How am I supposed to sell a certain amount of credit cards or loans of any kind to an area that is not particularly affluent? This company has no financial advisors that are bilingual in an area that is 90% Hispanic, and then hold YOU directly accountable for not reaching branch goals.
Not to mention the technology is incredibly outdated, and that makes selling this bank even more difficult. Customers prefer a faster, more efficient way to do their banking these days. Meanwhile, almost all of these ATMs still require ENVELOPES for a simple deposit and even CASH deposits are not made available immediately.
Also, because of the increased in-store approach to banking, "bankers hours" are a thing of the past. Be prepared to work 9am-7pm shifts consecutively (especially if you're short staffed, which is ALWAYS in this market), and still only have a 30 min break. In-stores are also allowed to have only ONE employee running the entire branch if you're an "Advantage Center" because of the money counting machine available in certain branches.
  more... While transactions are handled more quickly, it inhibits actual customer interaction. I cannot cross sell as efficiently or better help a customer with a serious issue, all because I am left alone... all because the company deems this acceptable.
They're making it more obvious that WE are expendable, and it is only a matter of time until we are, and all of banking will be done solely online.
Your branch coworkers will be the highlight of your days while working here, and that's about it.
Pros
Expensed travel, flexible hours if you're in an in-store branch, OT available almost always, lots of training available
Cons
Everything I wrote.
good
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYOctober 12, 2018
typical banking policies . management tends to get stressed over the team meeting goals. hardest part of the job is rowdy customers who come in and make a scene.
relaxed
Teller (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAOctober 8, 2018
Along with having to handle cutomers it is not fast pace and you really get to encounter the whole feel of having the one on one experience with a customer.
Great Career Advancement with Reasonable Goals.
Sales and Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 5, 2018
People's United Bank is a unique financial institution that offers employees the option of working in a traditional 'brick and mortar' building with guaranteed Sundays off, or the more flexible 7 day a week Stop and Shop locations. The traditional branch are great for people who need Sundays off and enjoy working earlier in the day. The Stop and Shop locations are full service branches that generally offer faster career development and days off during the week as well as rotating weekends. I have had a great experience working for People's United Bank and have received much support from Senior Officers who take the time to know the name of their employees. The goals are tiered and achievable.
Pros
Quick Advancement, and Great Reward and Incentive Program
Cons
Short Lunches (30 mins)
great job for advancement and good pay
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 20, 2018
I work with a great team. We are constantly working in fast pace manner. But support each other which makes work fun and pleasant.
Management is very considerate of our personal lives and helps with accommodating for shift alterations or days off.
Fine company and okay culture
Back Office - Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  New EnglandSeptember 20, 2018
People's United Bank is a fine company to work for, but the technology is dated and career advancement options tend to be a bit limited and slow to come to come around (depending on your division). The culture is definitely positive, with a consultative sales approach in retail banking, and they have recently started to embrace the idea of coaching versus a traditional and strict 'command and control' Overall, worth taking a look as a future employer.
Fast paced and everchanging
Branch Manager / Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTSeptember 11, 2018
People's United is a growing company with a great culture. Things are always changing and management does a good job coaching to change. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement. Good company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at People's United Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at People's United Bank.

Powered by Comparably