PEORIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

It was a typical school district for the state of Arizona.
Junior High Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 5, 2018
It was a typical school district for the state of Arizona. It had about the same demographics of students, teachers, administration, and staff. The work was the same as any other district, as well as the pay.
Great place but low pay
Preschool Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZOctober 4, 2018
great place to work but very low pay. The environment is relaxed and comfortable. I enjoy the job but as a single mom with 3 kids, I can barely afford my cost of living.
Not for the faint of heart
Library Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZSeptember 24, 2018
Too few employees for the day-to-day operation makes for a chaotic environment. Student behavior issues go unchecked or are only dealt with on a temporary basis.
Challenging work with intrinsic rewards.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 14, 2018
I love teaching kids. Where else can you act like a kid and get paid for it? Seriously, working for the Peoria Unified School District for the past 30 years has been rewarding and challenging. After all the years of teaching, I can't think of one time I was ever disgruntled enough to think of leaving. Okay, yes, things crop up that you wish were different. However, looking back, most can be chalked up to learning experiences. The district has protocols in place to help survive serious issues and advocate for change. The faculty, students, and parents make up a large school community that feels like family. Even now, I really enjoy watching my grown high school students play football or perform in the high school play. I've been invited to weddings and baby showers all because of the emotional ties created at work. Great comradery, but lousy pay for the amount of work you do and things you put up with. It all comes down to why you teach. It is a profession where the rewards are intrinsic. I believe that PUSD does the best they can with what they have.
Pros
Professional and friendly staff, training, and environment.
Cons
Pay and benifits don't match the job requirements.
Nice place, not so great pay
Peoria - Kidzone Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 2, 2018
For an entry level job, not bad, management is just okay. Pay is hard for most- they live paycheck to paycheck. The director of the program is just okay.
Pros
nice people
Cons
Pay
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZAugust 4, 2018
Doing my job that is needed to be done each day but changes day to day. And what I learned about my job is knowing how to do my job such as deadlines, challenges. And management is really serious in what they do and need and expect from their co-workers. And the work culture is fair like any employer job. The hardest part of the job is not knowing what you need to do on a daily basis. But the most enjoyable part of the job is staying busy doing your job task each day and every day.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches
Cons
Eliminated the free lunches
Nice place to work.
Part-Time/Substitute School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJuly 5, 2018
Great place to work as a second job.
Managment is helpful and encouraging.
Employees are helpful to each other.
I enjoy working here.

The hardest part of the job is working with children.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with children. Watching the children learning to interact with others.
Pros
Environment; Location
Cons
Low pay
A great place to work
English And Literature Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJuly 2, 2018
I really like working for Peoria. It's a good thing, too, because pay is the pits. But that's getting better. I have the freedom to teach my kids in the way I see fit, the kids are awesome, my co-workers are fantastic, and my campus leadership team is top notch. I love working at my campus.
Pros
teamwork, flexibility, family feel
Cons
low pay
Na
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 22, 2018
The autistic program at PUSD is AMAZING, they have a strong love of this population and a desire to help. They provided a great deal of training to ALL staff, not just the staff directly working with the students in the program.
Productive and a good place to grow
Paraprofessional ISS Educator (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 10, 2018
Productive and a very team oriented place to work. I learn more about being an In School Suspension Teacher. the principal worked side by side with me to improve upon our team efforts with In School Suspension. We emailed teachers first thing in the morning to request students rather than interrupt classes all day. Teachers worked with me sending assignments along with students. We all worked as a team to do whatever we had to do to keep students from getting suspended from school and we allowed each student to work their way back into the classroom. The hardest part of my job would be how many students I may have in one day sometimes thirty, but this was based on what that student did, sometime 10 would go right back to class as soon as lunch was over, another group may leave with the next thirty minutes. We all knew based on what a student did how long they would be staying in In School (e.g. fighting if student didn't start the fight required two full days of In School, eating in class, student may do two periods, talking without profanity student can go back the very next class period, fighting and the student started it will received three day home suspension, using profanity with a teacher is a requirement of two to three day suspension) all the decision is comes from the principal first and foremost. A student can't walk into In School on his/her own accord, they have to go directly to the office and the principal will decide if he/ she should be in In School. My typical day would be to see if I have any students waiting on me upon my arrival of school, sometimes they  more... would be and they would follow me to In School classroom, hopefully they already have their assignments. I assign seats to each student and let them know this will be their assigned seating until whatever time they leave In School be it an hour or two days, some of my seats face the wall , I know each student well enough to know where to place each one. Talkers face the wall that way they can stay out of trouble and not get anyone else in trouble as well. Students who usually need help with their assignments I sit close to my desk. I have assignments in my classroom for all grades just in case they can't get to their teachers for their assignments. I usually keep in close contact with all teachers to keep up with students classroom activities, we also have library books for students to read and we have a computer for students to do online activities for their classroom assignments as well. The most enjoyable part of this job is I offer my kids incentives to stay out of In School and this actually worked, especially for my repeat offenders as we sometimes call them. They are so happy to report that they've been good and they havent been to see me in a while , they love reporting to me how their grades are coming up and to see their smiles is worth whatever we had to go through to get them to that point.  less
Pros
Room to grow as an employee
Cons
I would have worked 40 hours per week if offered
A good district full of good people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 4, 2018
Leadership is top heavy at the district level and there is a severe lack of vision. The people are great and very supportive and the culture is great especially for new teachers.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Lack of vision
It's more than a job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 3, 2018
I love my job, just hate the politics that go with it, my student is my first priority and I want to make sure all his needs are taken care of. For the most part the staff is very supportive.
Pros
School schedule
Cons
Pay
Great district
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria Unified School DistrictMay 29, 2018
I very much enjoyed working for Peoria Unified School District. The District's training and development was bar none. The school in which I worked had excellent management and my co-workers were friendly, helpful and a joy to work with. I loved the children and the curriculum. I left Peoria Unified School District to pursue what I thought was a better opportunity in another district.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Nice & helpful co-workers. Very nice manager.
Cafeteria Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 10, 2018
prepare all the cleaning tools for the day-buckets,mops,cleaning soaps. set-up & maintain salad bar. then after lunch remove & count all leftover foods, wash & disinfect salad bar,help the other ladies with sweeping & mopping.Help to wash & dry all pans & utensils used,store condiments.
Productive fun place
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 29, 2018
A fun environment to learn and enjoy your time at work. Get involved with the kids and the community. There is definitely a diversity of culture there. Many different clubs to get involved in. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to all the graduating students at the end of the year.
Wonderful
Special Education Teacher 5-8 Grade Resource (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 24, 2018
I love my job. The kids are great to work with and I love my administration. There could definitely be better compensation, but overall I love my job.
Great supportive school district
Teacher - Frontier Elementary (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 21, 2018
I am a second year teacher who chose to switch careers after 30 years in operations management for restaurants, retail, and lending companies. I have felt very supported from the beginning by my fellow teachers, administrators, and district coordinators. After a successful career in competitive environments where results were the be all end all, I have found teaching to be incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.
okay place
Kidzone Associate | Glendale (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 10, 2018
job is super easy just been here a bit and can get a bit frustrating, sometimes you wont be aloud to call out or get time off.but other times you might, like I said the job is easy to an extent.
Pros
split shift
Cons
split shift
underpaid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 9, 2018
As far as teaching goes, this district is like many others. There are pros and cons everywhere. The pay is one of the lowest in the state I believe, and I had to move due to the low pay.
Pros
90 min classes
Cons
low pay
Okay
SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 4, 2018
There is not a lot of room for growth, but it is a good beginning place. You will learn about Arizona laws and have a large caseload. It is manageable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PEORIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss