Pepperdine University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Student Worker
Theatre Technician (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAMarch 21, 2018
As a student worker, they were flexible with my schedule and willing to make it manageable for me. Management is great and understanding, as well as the work environment being healthy.
Good place to work for worklife balance. few opportunities for advancement
Operations (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2018
Pepperdine University is a great place to work in terms of work life balance. The management is generally supportive of their staff but the workplace culture does not contribute towards a feeling of community.

They are working on building a better community and have new leadership that is taking the school in a new direction.
Pros
standard business hours, good work life balance
Cons
few opportunites for advancement, difficult culture to thrive but that is changing
Diverse, friendly, fun, and empowering work environment with flexible hours
Outdoor Trip Leader (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAMarch 3, 2018
Working for Pepperdine University as a student worker in their Campus Recreation department has enhanced my knowledge and skills of working with different groups of people and collaborating and communicating effectively with co-workers. It has enhanced my organizational, planning, critical thinking, and leadership skills in having to organize, plan, advertise, and lead groups of students on a variety of outdoor excursions while having to manage different variables such as group size and diversity, individual needs/constraints, environment, task and trip difficulty variability. I loved the flexible hours and having a lot of autonomy in being able to choose and plan which trips to do which really has empowered me to develop my leadership skills. My favorite part of the job was being able to interact with and connect to different students of all different backgrounds and age groups while on in the wilderness.
Pros
enhancement of leadership, communication, organizational, interpersonal, and outdoor recreation skills.
Cons
Too flexible hours so didn't guarantee steady pay every week.
Great work life balance
Industry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAMarch 1, 2018
It is hard considering to work elsewhere when you work for a team that believes in work-life balance. The company culture is very nurturing and the campus is absolutely beautiful. The University has a great caliber of students to work with and the staff is passionate and committed to the students.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Low salary
Teachers Assistantship experience depenent on professor
Student / Teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAFebruary 8, 2018
Teachers assistantship experience is dependent on the professor one is working for. Some professors are relaxed and won't have their TA's do much whereas others pile on the work.
Excellent learning opportunity
Strategic Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 24, 2018
I worked here for 5 months during my MBA program and developed a comprehensive marketing and implementation plan for the CEO of a global company. It was a great learning experience and provided the platform for me to choose from numerous different career paths.
Relaxing and Engaging.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2017
This is a friendly workspace. They help build your character professionally and personally. A typical day would include a variety of projects raging from student assistance to office administration.
New Student Advisor
New Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 20, 2017
Greeting students. Homesick and often afraid, these kids are usually away from home for the first time. They don't know the area, and they feel alone. Helping them acclimate was nice.
Outstanding and satisfying mission
Director (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 17, 2017
No workday is the same. There are a vareity of ways to meet with and engage alumni, and no alum is the same. The University sells itself. It is necessary to determine what area is of the most interest to a particular individual. Researching what is happening in a particular area and sharing how giving back can make a difference is one of the most enjoyable part of the job. Introducing the donors and the students is very satisfying. The hardest part of the job is making calls when you are not feeling motivated or supported. I have learned that it is important to do that which is least comfortable first. When I do, I do, I find the result is very worth the effort.
Pros
Mission, and flexibility
Cons
Lack of support
Great Scenery Long Drive for me
University Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Encino, CANovember 6, 2017
I left Pepperdine because was cheated out of a 3 dollar raise from the CFO. I worked on the main campus for 5 years and was followed by the police when I drove on campus almost every morning.
Pros
Great Scenery
Cons
Low Pay
Advancement Research Assistant
Advancement Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CANovember 2, 2017
This was a great summer job where I learned basic computer skills such as excel, acrobat, and computer research programs. I would definitely recommend any pepperdine student to work in research advancement.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
slow paced
good
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAOctober 29, 2017
good place to work. worked there as student employee. bosses were very nice and understood work and student life balance. fun place to work and good environment.
New student greeter
New Student Greeter (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAOctober 16, 2017
This was a temporary job. There was a lot of stress at this place because they were having difficulties as to who was going to run the fine arts division. They were choosing the acting dean, and many changes were happening at this time, so there was competition, stress, and very difficult work environment.
I would not recommend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAOctober 12, 2017
In short, lack of growth, poor management, and lower than average pay due to poor business model. Most employees are former students of Pepperdine, which in turn causes outcasting of employees who did not attend Pepperdine. Very similar to the concept of "keeping it within the family." Unfortunately, Pepperdine is archaic in their business practices in regards to both technology and employee relations. I would not recommend working here. For those who are seeking to take advantage of a graduate degree, Pepperdine will not pay for you as it must be taxed due to IRS regulations. They do provide a discount (the longer you work here, the better the discount), but since the University is funded solely off donations (some of which are tied to contracts and will not take effect for many years to come) the degrees are priced extremely high. In other words, the discount provided will not take you very far and there are other schools with the same credentials that are more affordable due to a better business model.
A great place to work
Media Facilities Manager - Communication Division (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CASeptember 28, 2017
I worked for Pepperdine after graduating and it was the perfect career transition. It allowed me a place to learn and grow with my pertinent skills. While I have now grown larger than the position I hold the job offered me lifelong friendships and a great sense of purpose.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible time off, great environment, good co-workers
Cons
A lot of egos, no place to really advance without getting a doctorate.
Not a fun place to work if you do not fit in with the team.
Procurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CASeptember 12, 2017
University is run by higher management. Unaware of real work that needs to be done. Departments are understaffed. Always cutting corners wherever possible.
Pros
no pros here
Cons
beware you are always being watched
IT wa ok
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CASeptember 4, 2017
It was alright. The management needs improvement. The culture has a lot of room for improvement. Learned a lot working there. They don't pay much and there are not a lot of advancement opportunities.
I was not a paid employee at Pepperdine University
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Malibu, CAJuly 31, 2017
I was not a paid employee at Pepperdine University.
I was a guest lecturer at Pepperdine University.
Therefore, I did not have a typical day at work.
I did not learn any work philosophies at Pepperdine
I cannot tell you about the workplace culture.
There was no hardest part of the job.
There was no most enjoyable part of the job.
Best work environmenet
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJuly 4, 2017
Pepperdine University is not just a place of employment, it is the best place for personal growth and cross cultural interaction that can only enhance a persons perception of themselves and the people around them.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world.
Cons
No covered car ports.
Excellent workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJune 27, 2017
They really care about your success in your role and will take action to give you the tools you need to be successful. If you need help, just ask and they will help you.
Pros
Great view

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pepperdine University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight