Peralta Community College District

Peralta Community College District Employee Reviews

Relaxed workplace
I would go into work, get seated at my desk and work on homework until a student came to me with questions. If a student asked me for help, or seemed like they needed help, I would assist in any way that I could. Be it printer troubles or Microsoft office troubles, I would help any way I could.
Peralta Community College is a great place to work.
There is much to learn when working at Peralta Community District Office. Everyone is very helpful and the workplace culture is diverse. Love this pl
Great student population, toxic company culture
Geat compensation, but talented people end up doing at least two jobs. There are departments that there are extremely understaffed. They are key positions that take over a year to fill. You get offered over time or compensation time, but often to do somebody else job or do work that is not even from your department. You get to work with a great student population, but people often forget the real reason we are working there.
Pros
The impact that your work makes to students and to the community the colleges serve, Salary and Befits
Cons
There is no transparency or trust. Lack of accountability, processes, and procedures. Takes to long to get things done. Toxic culture. Poor management. HIGH turn over.
District is corrupt, poorly run and wasting taxpayer money at a feverish pace.
Enrollment keeps falling yet teachers’ unions keep hiring.HR is corrupt + incompetent- keeper of secrets re: “project manager” jobs that award unqualified friends and cronies with raises and/or $100k roles. Unions have negotiated great salaries and benefits which take the majority of the budget leaving little for PR/marketing spending. Board of Directors are controlled by unions, too, so waste is rampant and student issues and competent running of the District is not a priority.
Job expectations were met
Worked there after obtaining my doctorate.. interviewed for a permanent position but did not get the position. Very discouraging. I now live in another city and will not pursue any more
Dedicated staff with somewhat chaotic administration
Most people are pleasant to work with and care about their work and how it impacts students; work environments can be challenging due to periodic turnover in administration.
Not a fair place to work
I give one star because staff at HR are mean. They are hiring the language and someone they know or A person to be place for. If you do not speak English, Cantonese or Spanish , you might not the one get hiring. I was a student there and left looking place to work and learn and earn experience. No one like to share information to me. One day a person came to my country and told me. Now, I know why they do not like us. It because we do not speak and our country does not being part their national. We have less people came from our country. Therefore, we get treated different. And I never forget what they told me. “Why should I hire you?” I answer ! I were a student here. I know that they are not nice. I know that they are going to be mean to our people because their manager is poor. They think you are here to give them a promble. If a good school, they should have good management and attitude. Not given other hard time because they were tired to help me. This is usa. Why so many people not able to find a job.
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor management
Important in my career but didn't see myself advancing
I learned a great deal working at Peralta but didn't see myself growing into a better person. I decided to quit my job and go back to school to focus on something I'm passionate about.
Student ambassdor jobs
Receptionist duties at the Jerry Adams Learning Resources Center
• Served as a resource for all school related information including educational programs and services within the district

• Assisted in the overall recruitment and retention of students on and off campus. Specialized in assisting at-risk students and non-declared majors

• Represented Berkeley City College at high school college fairs and other local recruiting venues
Fun workplace, very caring people
I love working at Peralta Community College District. A very friendly, diverse, and fun work environment. The hours are flexible. You are able to learn a lot working with many departments and able to grow within the company.
Pros
Caring people to work with, diverse workplace
Cons
paid monthly
Productive fun to work at Peralta
The most enjoyable part of my vocation is working with the students and giving back. I've learn so much working at Peralta District. I started as a student and worked my way in,
Best job ever.
Had to be the most rewarding experience in my life. Working with children. Providing nutrition and love. Caring staff. And the employers are very interested in feelings of the employees.
Pros
Working with children and a wonderful staff.
Cons
Always very hot conditions.
not the private sector environment
Peralta is govern by a board of trustees. So things don't always go in the best interest with the employees that are trying to make the best for the student population and in lots of cases makes the jobs at all level throughout very stressful
Pros
have met and made life long friends
Cons
very difficult to get things processed
review
Great place for people who are interested in working with educators, school administrators, and students
Great team of workers, fun, caring, busy place, excellent pay!
A typical day included lots of assisting people visiting the office, lots of emails to reply to and phone calls. Busy and productive day multitasking and prioritizing tasks and sudden changes.

I learned the duties of providing/creating employee workers' compensation claims and communicating insurance policies and guidelines to assist the injured employee. I learned to do the duties and tasks of providing Haze Mat claims and disposals of medical waste and dangerous materials. I learned many new tasks. I greet each customer with top rated services and managed to solve their problems in a timely manner.

My co-workers were great in training me and directing me to resources and people to contact. We had employee activities and holiday party.

I enjoyed ever aspect of the job and it was hard to leave after the temporary assignment ended.
Pros
Free lunch during training meetings
Cons
Getting paid one time a month. Its a long wait!
15+ years of experience in analysis, design, development and implementation of Higher Education ERP system and Commercial applications with SQL Server, PeopleSoft 8.9 & 9.0 and Datatel Colleague system will add value to the efficient way of development, support of application software’s with maintaining the technical and user documentation.
Great Place
If your interesting in working with people and shaping their lives, a career in education or educational services is a great place to start.
Customer service
Very good company to retire with. Great benefit and investment plans. Can be seasonal..Community College system so you will meet all kinds of people.
Culture of the campus
On a typical day it is enjoyable, working with students and assisting them with navigating the college environment. I am a transformational leader in my mind, and i manage from a collective team approach and shared governance. I learned that we have to recognize and celebrate small wins with staff and with students. It is important to role model behavior of positive reinforcement. My co-workers are majority women from diverse cultural back grounds, each of them with unique personalities. This is a strength that contributes to the department. We do not alway see eye- to -eye but we manage to always walk away in a positive manner.

The hardest part of my job is having to disqualify a student from receiving financial aid, students need resources to be successful in college so this effects me on a personal level sometimes because i know how it feels to not have enough resources to help you while you are in school.

What is the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students and assisting them through the college scene. Seeing students accomplish what they started in addition looking for solutions on a regular basis that will improve the services we offer.
Pros
We offer a variety of program services and degrees.
Cons
The high turn over in administration.
Great public institution
The culture must be changed in order to attract great people to commit to the college.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
the organizations culture
Fun place to teach if education is your passion.
A typical day at work consisted of sitting in a classroom during a regularly scheduled class session & aiding the teacher with organization, teaching, language barriers, presentations, and in class assignments. I learned to be very well rounded and patient through the understanding that not all people learn the same way. Management was very easy to work with and fun to talk to. My co-workers always had fun teaching and nothing was ever to hard for any of us to do.
Pros
Fun Learning Environments. Easy schedules. Great for students.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peralta Community College District. Our community is ready to answer.
Peralta Community College District Reviews by Location