Perry's Ice Cream Employee Reviews

Great Products
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYJune 12, 2018
I enjoyed the team and only left for what I thought was a stepping stone to something bigger. I made a mistake leaving and never should have left. But, you cant go back.
Pros
Lots of Ice Cream
Cons
Ownership indecisiveness
Face paced, brain numbing work.
Production Packer (Current Employee) –  Akron, NYApril 20, 2018
If you have good hand eye coordination and can multi task watching the line, machine your standing at, the job is very easy. It can be very boring if everything is running great or everything is shut down. It’s very stressful when things go wrong with jams, kickoffs and packaging problems. Drama between staff because we trade line every half hour is annoying, sometimes the line is stressful and you need a break. Two breaks a day, usually 3 hours a part, one 20min and a 30min. Lately with the new union contract there have been way more hard feeling because there is more responsibilities being pushed on operators without any pay increase. There’s no tome to do extra work, hire ups just don’t understand because aren’t in the position dealing with day to day production.
Pros
Hard to lose your job if you come to work everyday
Cons
Union, hard to advance, some drama in between workers
They say upto 12 hour work day what a joke.. no work home balance. they pride themselves on family comes first yeah if you are in Akron.
DSD (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 15, 2018
If you want to work over your D.O.T. hours. Not take a mandatory 30 minute break chance losing your cdl I say go for it. Upper management will never answer thier phones even if you have an emergency. They also will keep adding to your route and not even tell you. One of thier mottos is family saftey first. Yes thier family comes first and as for safety you go over your allotted 14 hour on numerous occasions. If you send product back you are questioned as to why. Are verbally told that you need to make sure that nothing gets sent back. By management in NY. They will promise you the world to get you to work there then once your there everything is out the window they just need bodies
Pros
Cons
they are worried about money not you.
Decent Job
Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYMarch 6, 2018
2nd shift is very slow going and can be very boring. Management was not in the picture much. Pay wasn't good for sitting in a freezer for hours on end. There is a lot of options for advancing through the plant even though pay doesn't change all that drastic.
Pros
Fun people to work with, Able to have a life outside of work
Cons
Pay, cold in the freezer, can be very boring at times
Money
Packaging Operator (Current Employee) –  Akron, NYJanuary 14, 2018
It's all about the money - bottom line - they run their people into the ground - the best part is going home - they don't give, just keep expecting more for less. more responsibility for no more money. Their union that we pay into every month by a percentage of our wage, is not there to help the hardworking and honest. their there to keep the lazy and complainers in there jobs.and if you don't pay your dues you don't have a job. so most people keep their mouth shut like mushrooms. no bonuses, no employee incentives, nothing. It was NOT always like this. GREED.
Cons
They don't give, just keep expecting more for less.
you are on your own
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2017
you are just a body they only care about you if you work yourself to death. lack of route knowledge. the stops are not in order and the lack of communication with management
Its perrys
Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, NYSeptember 11, 2017
They are mismanaged and dont care a bout there employees. They change hours and shifts at there concerns. They also have a union who promotes laziness.
Pros
Limited free ice cream
Cons
Management forced Overtime, most summer there is no weekends
Lots of Ice cream samples
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYJanuary 23, 2017
You get to try the new flavors before anyone else! Great bunch of people to work with and the Perry's were an awesome family to work for. Awesome customers too!
No Direction
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYOctober 23, 2016
I was in the IT Department. This place offers no training or direction in how you perform your job. It's basically a throw you to the wolves mentality. If you do make a mistake you are offered no guidance on what to do to correct it.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
On call 24/7/365
A day of an Order Confirmation Clerk summary
Order Confirmation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Akron, NYMarch 25, 2015
A typical day at Perry's Ice Cream is to gather all paperwork and confirm all truck driver's paperwork from the day before. Call any customers/drivers if any paperwork is missing. Research any pricing problems with the invoice and apply credits After all paperwork is confirmed run all reports for the day including Inventory Control. If any trucks are off in inventory research the problem and fix inventory once the problem was resolved. The problems could come from fixing the invoices, main warehouse, IT, etc. If time allowed audit and record all the Expense reports for the week into a spreadsheet. I learned so much at Perry's Ice Cream. I learned how to confirm all orders that were going out of the building and recognize which ones were priced differently such as employee purchases and sales purchasing. Once a week I would receive credits and debits from the headquarters of Wal-Mart and apply the credit to their account. I also at month end would keep track of deliveries and invoices that have not been delivered. At month end I would call customers, distribution centers to get confirmation on the invoices that I have not received so the finance department could close their books by a certain date. On Mondays I would come in early so I could confirm the driver's paperwork that were working on commission so the payroll could be done by 10 am that morning. I would plan out my Monday a head of time by running reports and calculating how much I would have to do and adjust my time accordingly. The management was incredible. It was a family orientated and understood that I was a single  more... mom. The most enjoyable part of my job was making friends with my truck drivers and helping them as needed. The hardest part of my job was adjusting my time on Monday morning especially in July. Sometimes the reports weren't 100% accurate especially in the mid summer. People had until the day before at 5pm to place their orders.  less
Good Company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYDecember 1, 2014
Good company to work for especially in the upstate new york area. they are very well known in the community and have a good reputation and care about keeping it that way. Seem to really care about family so the work life balance is pretty good. You will have some long days but for the most part 8-9hour shifts are the norm.
Perry's Ice Cream is a wonderful company to work,with amazing people to work with.
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Akron, NYNovember 4, 2014
Traveling from store to store to place orders for the accounts. Management at the New York location are wonderful to work with and keep things very upbeat . My co-workers are great and always available to help. The hardiest part of the job is dealing with the freezers and the cold environment. The best part of the job is working with all the people .
Pros
Great Company Environment
Cons
Frezing Temps
No Communication
DSD RELIEF DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaOctober 30, 2014
You are basically on your own. There is hardly any communication from the Management team who is based in Akron, NY. There is no management presence in Pittsburgh, PA. If you have an issue or a question, you cannot get a hold of anyone in NY. I would leave phone messages, texts, and emails for someone to call me and would not receive a response, and if I did, it would be days later.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No communication
was a mechanic on the line that makes ice cream
Technician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYAugust 2, 2014
it was a real nice place to work I enjoyed making a product that customers would rave about.
Very Positive and supportive atmosphere
Regional Manager / Driver - Pittsburgh, PA (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Oversaw the complete operations of the Pittsburgh market.
Including but not limited to;
Routing, hiring, training, scheduling, evaluations, customer/vendor relations, truck service, etc.... Pretty much if it happened in the Pittsburgh Market, and it dealt with Ice Cream, I knew about it. Or at least was supposed to!
Pros
Flexability
Cons
wages, communication
Troubled distance, Happy worker!
Distribution Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, NYJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day at Perry's would be 16 hours of hard working workers in a freezer. I've learned new techniques, how to work equipment, & how to better with my team work skills. The hardest part of the job was to be in such cold temperatures for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had a good staff working with me & to teach me more as I moved up.
Pros
free ice cream, benefits, pay rate
Cons
late hours, distance, tempature