Pet Food Express Employee Reviews

One of the worst managers I have ever seen
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2019
I worked at the Market st location for over a year. PFE does not encourage individualism or strong sense of self. They want you to be a cashier robot that talks about how great PFE is and nothing else. They provide a lot of extensive training about their products, and a lot about pet health, which is nice, up until it feels like they're pushing the knowledge down your throat just to help them sell. EVERY day was about sales and sales goals here. Every day my manager encouraged unhealthy competition between the associates and make them feel like the customer was nothing more than a wallet.
Personally, I like getting to know people and encouraging to buy products that will ENRICH their lives, not just find a way to conform our promotional product to meet their needs. Still a better job than Petco, but STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF, or PFE will try to sweep your personality under the rug!
Pros
Don't sell live animals, holistic food options
Cons
sales based, high demands, unfair compensation for amount of work.
Typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 31, 2018
Discounts was the best part
But the team and management was the worst part , they just want you to be car salesmen , I tried to be helpful and would get shut down by management , they need to work on there policy and a lot of employees and management were very lazy when it came to restocking the store . They would leave load on the floor and would not touch it for days
Exciting, educational, inspiring
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pacifica, CADecember 22, 2018
Pet Food Express is a great place to work. This place is educational and inspiring. The business is great to be a part of. The sales team truly values their customers.
Pros
keeps busy
It's fun only if you can focus on helping animals and block out the nonsense.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 14, 2018
I worked at PFE for almost 3 years and it was great until they started making changes. Despite constantly getting nothing but amazing reviews on Yelp, they decided they needed to switch things up! They now require you to wear a walkie-talkie with a headset on all day with which they constantly interrupt you when trying to speak with customers, nag you if you didn't bring up one of the sales endcaps (because managers get bonuses for that) and give you verbal gold-stars if you have an above-average conversation with a customer. Most customers either think you are listening to music or have walkie talkies on to communicate weather or not you think people are stealing things. You always have to do worksheets on products to build knowledge, which is fine, but now you also have to fill out worksheets about conversations you had with customers. Doesn't matter if you were so busy with customers that you didn't have time to fill out the stupid worksheet. They want you to be the best sales-people in the world while only paying an *acceptable* rate. The higher-ups will come by and stand there and watch over you, making you feel anxious and nervous and cause you to go up to a customer that has already been helped a thousand times, who will then become annoyed. Many long time employees who were always loved by customers have left because of all the changes.
Pros
Dogs. Some cool coworkers. Acceptable pay.
Cons
Upper management, ridiculous expectations
great place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CANovember 13, 2018
I loved working here but there was no advancement. When you made the smallest of mistakes the COO and upper management held it against you the rest of your days at that company. it didnt matter if you moved it haunted you till the end of time
Pros
excellent discounts
Cons
low pay for the area
Great company to work for.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 8, 2018
I absolutely love working for Pet Food Express. I love the mission behind the company. You constantly are learning something new when it comes to the products, everyone is always willing to help you succeed. I love seeing the animals come into the store with their owners, it makes the job even better, While the company is changing with how they want things done I still think it's the place to be and I'm excited to see what happens in the future.
Pros
Great discount, management is always willing to help. Excellent benefits.
productive educational workspace
SALES ASSOCIATE, ANIMAL NUTRITIONIST (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2018
While working at pet food express it was company policy to learn all the information on the products we carried, including basic dog and cat nutrition so that we would be able to make the best referrals. Some of the highlights for working at pet food express was that I was able to interact with animals and people all day, the only times I was not on the sales floor I was breaking down a pallet in the ware house so that we could stock the shelves or just receiving the shipment initially.
Pros
got to see dogs all day
Cons
requirements from the job were not always easy obtainable or fully thought out.
Fun,fast paced
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Danville, CAOctober 4, 2018
I have been working at PFE for three years now. A lot has changed but I still enjoy working there. I have learned so much over the past few years and made many friendships. It is a very rewarding place to work at.
they allow some managers to ruin the whole company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, CASeptember 24, 2018
great company to work for, amazing people, great feeling of pride when helping animal owners, just over all great place. only problem is they allow some managers to sneak around and completely destroy their brand by spreading lies and making a harsh work environment and being lazy.
loved to see animals come in during work
Helper (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CASeptember 14, 2018
It is a great place to work because you get to see so many different types of dog breeds during each day that you worked. They have a part of the store to come wash your dog. and you get to see all the new items that are added into the store and to see how each customer acts about a problem they get in or about how happy they are because their animal is feeling better because of the changes they have made to their diet.
Pros
snacks, meeting new people, talking to other people that work there.
Cons
The dog wash has to much wet hair because people dont clean up after washing their dog.

Want to know more about Pet Food Express?

Ask a question
Amazing Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CASeptember 4, 2018
I love Pet Food Express. I started working there when I was in high school. The owners visit the various locations every now and then, and know a majority of the employees on a first name basis. I learned more about pet food than I will ever need to know, but I loved every single moment of my training. Pet Food Express helped me with my personal growth. I care about this company deeply.
A truly great company.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 29, 2018
I learned so much in my time at Pet Food Express, and blended into the team seamlessly. The products that the company carries and its employees are superb and well chosen. I appreciate everything they did for me as well as the knowledge they gave me. I'm a better pet owner since working for the Pet Food Express company.
not the place for me
Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 14, 2018
people either love it or hate it. I think that working in the stores is better. It wasn't till i went to work at corporate office that i began to dislike my experience.
It would be a better place to work if the upper management wasn’t so petty.
Assistant Manager 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 11, 2018
The company is growing faster than they can keep up with. It’s not necessarily about the pets anymore. It’s all about selling, up selling and numbers. You’re watched 24/7 on cameras and gets micromanaged all day regardless of your position. It kinda sucks!
Pros
You can take your pets to work, lots of awesome pet parents, discounts
Cons
Short lunches, everyone is a jack of all trades, micromanagement, the late policy
Wonderful Work Environment
Store Manager - April 2018 (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 8, 2018
Typical day is fast paced and very customer centric.
Helped teach me a greater skill-set for developing people, and for driving significant Volume growth through both a cohesive sales model and through Outreach events.
Working here is like walking on nails
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rolling Hills Estates, CAAugust 8, 2018
Where do I start. The company is great if you’d like to work with animals. You get to help customers with their pets and really build a relationship or bond with that customer and it’s very rewarding to see them leave happy and to come back for you or your store in general. The job isn’t the problem. It’s the management. The store manager, negative co workers, ground manager, everything and up. There is so much favoritism at this store it’s ridiculous. Some people get away with things other people wouldn’t. You get written up for everything. Not trained properly and then get in trouble for asking questions. Company is going through changes and is now getting way more pushy with sales and pushing certain brands onto customers even if it’s not best for their pet. You can clearly see from the reviews here that all the good ones are from years ago, but now it’s a whole other thing and they want people who are good with “change.” I see on indeed that they are hiring all the time, and that’s because no one wants to stay there. I don’t see this company lasting too much longer. And be careful, because while they are nice to your face, they are also in the process of firing you. Or in my case, set you up to fail and then blame you for it all. Then fire you.
Pros
Great discount, pay is pretty decent
Cons
Management, no flexibile schedule, write ups, negativity from co workers, very negative store manager, upper management harass you to the point of wanting to quit
Excellent learning opportunities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 7, 2018
Daily and weekly encouragement and resources to further your product knowledge. Each employee usually takes 10-20 minutes out of each shift to complete product sheets and turns them in weekly for added bonus to paycheck (if store goals are met). Inclusive and interactive work environment.
Pros
monthly food allowance from corporate
Cons
constant miscommunication between management
amazing place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 30, 2018
This is an amazing company to work for. They are open minded, fun and full of unique ideas that educate and create a diverse learning environment. Highly recommend
The best job I ever had.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 7, 2018
I truly loved working for this company. There is not a day that goes by where I do not miss it. Our regular customers were dogs who enjoyed getting to know you. There are people who I worked with that are now life-time friends. The management team knew how to keep you challenged yet happy. I wish I can still work for this company but the pay made it tough to survive in the bay area.
Pros
The employees, customers, and work culture.
Cons
Pay and work-life balance.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJuly 7, 2018
You learn a lot about diet and health for mostly cats and dogs, you can bring your pet to work, discounts are great, work culture is great. It's a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Food Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight