Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

The company is a mess...
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 17, 2018
Corporate rules are changing constantly. Weekly, we are told things are changing. There is no consistency whatsoever. Nobody in management ever seems to know what is going on let alone what will be happening soon. The company has often threatened its workers with their jobs due to simple things like gathering customers e-mail addresses. The company is up for sale as I write this which is a reason why everything is so confusing and bouncy. Customers are fine. (Other than your weekly crazy cat people) You tend to deal with pet lovers which are commonly good, well mannered people.
fun work environment
Receiving Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INSeptember 10, 2018
had the best supervisor. fun work environment. fast paced when hit your target. good training in all areas. family oriented, does alot for our community.
Pets
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 9, 2018
If you like animals this is a fun place to work and learn. However, the management picks and chooses who they are nice to, and if they decide they do not like you then they do not treat you the best.
calm working environment/ team member drama
SHIFT SUPERVISOR, CASHIER, ANIMAL CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Valrico, FLSeptember 8, 2018
In the beginning I enjoyed it very much. There was a lot of drama and still to this day more drama from what I've heard since shopping in the store, it took away the calming factor and started to stress me out. However, I loved the customers, most of the employees, and I loved what I did day to day for the store caring for animals and providing customer service. Overall it was a great learning experience.
Pros
50% off store brand dog or cat food, 10% off all purchases, being paid to be around animals
Cons
15 minute breaks unless management, no benefits
Bad hours, stressful environment, low pay
Stocker (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 8, 2018
Hours here are terrible. Most stockers and cashiers will make out per week $150 or less. Typical given hours are 16-24 hours per week. If you are a stocker there in no room for progression, and pay rates increase from a dime to a quarter more per hour each year. Cashiers are stressed on stock days, as are stockers. Pays minimum wage and Trust me that is in no way enough for all the work you will be putting in when you are here. Would not recommend this if you are looking for a first job. Training is poor as it is done by other stockers or cashiers which may or may not know what they are doing themselves. This job comes loaded with drama and two faced people who act like your best friend, and then sit and complain about you to other workers. If you are unlucky enough to be under the age of 18, and work more than 4 hours, you are required to take a half hour lunch break that is not paid and not optional. If you do want to work he be prepared to clean up a lot of dog urine in the isles, especially on busy days, be ready to lift heavy bags all day, have inconsistent amounts of stock, and be exhausted at the end of every shift, also say goodbye to, “TGIF” because Friday’s are the most stressful because they are our stock days, meaning we get anywhere from 5-10 pallets and it’s left for 2 stockers to do, 1 if you’re unlucky enough.
Fun and interactive work place
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 8, 2018
A typical workday involves helping clients and cleaning with projects that come up occasionally. I learned a lot about client service and reasonability from working here. Managers try there best to keep thing fun and varied while getting projects completed in a timely manner. everyone at the store is nice and friendly and very jovial. The hardest part of this job is stopping a project to assist clients. If someone is in the zone it can be hard to stop the flow and change gears. The most enjoyable part of the job is people you get to work with.
Pros
flexible hours, good start pay, fun work environment
Cons
A lot of quick shifts from projects to people, can be hard for people who don't like people
Fun place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MISeptember 7, 2018
It was fun and lot of team work we had our weekly goals we had to reach and we worked together to make it to our goal. We each had a list of things that needed to get done and the around time they should get done by.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Minimum of 50 we have to spend for discount
Decent Starting Job for College Students
Customer Service, Cashiering, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 7, 2018
Maintained a roughly 30 hour work week while also attending classes full time for college. The best part of the job involved the people who I was working with, who made the whole experience enjoyable, and provided some lasting friendships. Actual work was not intense, but required commitment.
Terrible management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Store manager continuously talked down on new employees if they weren't "getting it" fast enough. Everytime new employees would request help she would tell them to figure it out themselves within the first week of being employed.
It is kind of a mess
Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHSeptember 6, 2018
When I worked there, per supplies plus was a mess and working to increase your quality of life there was an uphill battle. The pay rate was abysmal a d the work conditions were tough.
Pros
Fixed hours, good store manager
Cons
Everything else
Fun and interesting work environment
Stock/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 4, 2018
It is a very fun place to work and you definitely hear of some interesting story’s here and there. The people who come in are usually very nice and come in often so you soon start to recognize people and so therefore it makes it a lot easier on them when they come in to find what they need.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Certain management
Pet supplies
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 4, 2018
Honestly they need a lot of changes. Inside and out. The district manager needs to be changed. And the store could probably be ran better they are losing customers.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Great place to work, low pay
Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 2, 2018
I’m full time and I really love working here or any other pet store but the pay barely covers cost of living or not enough at all. Not including insurance. As of right now this would not be a job for long term living unless you don’t have a lot of bills to pay or unless you plan on advancing with the company.
Pros
Animals, Community
Cons
Low Pay, Set hours per week
As a former Shift Manager I was applied
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYSeptember 1, 2018
So sad. I was very poorly trained. Pretty much learned the more important things last, I had a medical emergency and I was ONLY 2 minutes late from my 30 minute break. I am truy so disappointed. I loved working with all the "neighbors" and all of the animals! That was a pleasure!
Good teenage job
Animal caretaker, retail associate (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILAugust 28, 2018
It gave me a way to feel wanted and useful, all while introducing myself to some of the most amazing people I have ever met. The pay isn't great but I was in high school so it as okay.
September 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It sounds like you had a great experience with us and we wish you the best in the future!

I like PSP
Team member (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAAugust 28, 2018
I have no ill will towards PSP, I am just looking for a job that I can advance on and be able to support my family on. Though it does have a high school feel with some he said she said drama.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
High school feel drama, lack of pay, lack of advancement
September 7, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We'd like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Fun but Stressful
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 28, 2018
Its fun to play with the pets and all but if you are anthing other than a team member, it becomes very stressful. The environment is fun and the team is very kind but it can become difficult to get things done without constant pressure.
Pros
Fun enviroment, Good People
Cons
Work life balance, Stressful
September 7, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and all your work to make Pet Supplies Plus a great environment for our neighbors and our animals. We'd like to learn more about your experience so that we can improve our working environment for team members. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

A wonderful place to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNAugust 24, 2018
Pet Supplies Plus was perhaps my favorite retail job I've ever worked at. Between coworkers I could joke with, friendly customers and their pets, and relatively easy stocking work I was almost always happy there.

I was let go due to budget cuts from the company's CEO, from what my managers made it sound like he blew so much on advertising he couldn't afford to keep a bunch of people hired and needed to cut jobs.

To the main points, a typical day consisted of arriving, seeing what chores I needed to do and usually stocking or ordering the shelves. Depending on if I was working closing or not, I or another would tend and feed the store pets.

Managers would have almost been like part of the family if I had worked there longer, all of them are friendly and open to talking and joking around, keeping things lighthearted and casual while being open to any complaints or issues. Workplace culture, on that note, was wonderful, all of the employees loved their jobs and you could see their smiles were sincere.

The hardest part was probably stocking days, mostly because it involved picking up, moving, and shuffling to properly date bags of pet products that could lean towards 50lbs.

Most enjoyable part was every bit of it though. As I said in the opening, this has been my favorite retail job ever and I was let go due to outside influences. If I catch them hiring again I'm likely to try to apply to get re-hired immediately.
Pros
Amazing managers and coworkers, relaxed and friendly atmosphere, wonderful sense of the local community and enough to keep the nights busy.
Cons
Low-ish pay for what the job was, CEO doesn't seem to think of the employees when he makes decisions, so it can trickle down negatively
September 7, 2018

Thanks for your review and for the time you spent with us. We're so glad you had such a great experience with our team members, neighbors and their pets! We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 20, 2018
it was a very fun work place overall, but wasnt enough work hours and the managers couldve been better attitude wise. i would recommend this job to somebody who does love pets though.
Pros
discounts and free pet washes
Cons
no benefits or paid vacations or sick dayz
September 7, 2018

Thanks for your feedback on your time with us. We appreciate your hard work and wish you the best!

Fun co-workers but terrible lead managers
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Odenton, MDAugust 17, 2018
Working with most of the people here is a blast, but the company and a few managers decided to look away from 50+ mistakes a team member made for no real reason.
September 7, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're concerned with your feedback related to management and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number? Thanks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supplies Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight