Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

fun environment
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCMay 24, 2018
If you enjoy being around animals and the public then this is the job for you. A typical day is usually slow but there is always plenty to do around the store.
Pros
Knowledge about various types of animals.
Cons
Customers
Decent Work
Sales/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 22, 2018
Was hired on right before a change in management. New management preferred having staff they had personally hired and were slowly phasing out existing employees. However they have changed management since then.
Pros
10% employee discount
Cons
no other benefits
I felt like there was not enough training provided for a safe working atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYMay 20, 2018
I was put into unsafe situations from the get go. I always worked in the grooming department alone. There was no one else on site that had more than an hour worth of nail trimming on small puppies.
Pros
Discounts on products. Friendly working environment
Cons
Poor training and support. No help when needed with pets in grooming department.
Good Stepping Stone Job
Store Team Leader (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 16, 2018
Lots of heavy lifting Management is ok Learned a lot about dog food and the different types. Learned about how to take care of other animals. Got to see a lot of puppies but always get stuck tasking with hours consistently being cut even though the store was hitting sales goals.
Dont work here
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAMay 15, 2018
My job was super repetitive and boring the managers would slack off and force work upon the Green shirt employers. Overall the job its self was very pointless
Pros
Cons
all
Do NOT work for a franchised Pet Supplies Plus
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chester, NJ 07930May 11, 2018
Working at Pet Supplies Plus was a blast! While is lasted. The franchises are not so tightly overseen by corporate and so, the location I worked for shut down very suddenly, only a month after hiring me. Unfortunately, all employees at said location were laid off without severance. The best part of the job was the customers and dogs coming in, the environment was so lighthearted and fun. But the manager had no idea how to run a business, and in doing so lost money and could not afford the store any more. I'm upset corporate did not take over and advertise more, or offer opportunities at another location.
Pros
Laid back, fun, average pay ($9/h)
Cons
No job security at a franchise
May 18, 2018

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are grateful for the time you spent with us and, and appreciate your notes so that we're able to continuously improve. Best wishes.

Productive Work Days
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 10, 2018
There is always something to do. There is a lot of cleaning involved and a lot of neighbor engagement. You get a lot of animal care questions so it helps if you have a lot of experience with animal maintenance and knowledge of products.
Pros
Boss provides food a lot
Cons
High turn overs
May 18, 2018

It sounds like there's never a dull moment at your Pet Supplies Plus! Thanks for putting in the elbow grease to make sure our neighbors and their pets always have the best time when they're with us.

awesome
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTMay 9, 2018
overall loved everything about this place. job, management and customers. never really had a bad shift. friendly environment. no complaints at all. overall great place
May 18, 2018

This is wonderful to hear! Thanks for taking the time to make our day. We hope you're doing well!

Best pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMay 9, 2018
I have worked at two different locations in 2 different states and had the best time. PSP is great at employing knowledgeable people and upbeat people willing to help anyone that needs it. overall I would say that the company is great to work for with lots of opportunity or advancement.
May 18, 2018

You sound like just the kind of team member we love to work with! Thank you for being a part of the Pet Supplies Plus family.

Good workplace with kind people
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Adrian, MIMay 7, 2018
I have few complaints about my time at PSP and would recommend the job to someone currently in school or for a quality part time job. People are friendly and the work day goes by fairly quick.
Pros
good culture, lots of dogs, good people
Cons
not a lot of hours available, wages are near minimum wage
May 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your notes, and to hear that we're a good match.

Gone Downhill
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 5, 2018
This place used to be an amazing company to work for. Employees were appreciated and it felt like a family. When I came back to work for this company I was happy to work my way up and be able to promote that same atmosphere that made me fall in love with this company. However, over the last year I've seen huge changes and none of them good. What little employee benefits we had are going away. That family and friendly atmosphere is hanging by a string. Unless you're one of the higher ups or a customer you're pretty much out of luck. Management doesn't care about their employees anymore and forgets their roots working the floor. It's all about the bottom line now. Employees aren't as happy and assistant managers are caught in the middle. It's so sad to see my favorite neighborhood store turn into a big box retailer. More corporate driven and far less special now. So disappointing.
Cons
no breaks unless scheduled, few benefits even as management, few hours, discounts aren't as good, management needs improvement.
May 18, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review. We'd like to set you up to speak with the franchise owner to talk further. If you're open to it, can you please send an email with your name and phone number to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com?

Engaging and a Fun Place to be
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, NYMay 4, 2018
There are not many companies that focus on the happiness of the employees and seek to make sure that “fun” is a word they use to describe working for them. Pet Supplies Plus (PSP) does. They not only strive to make sure the neighbors (customers) are happy, but all the employees as well. Feeling friendly and personal is what the company wants every shopper to experience when visiting any PSP location. I love the personal connections with my team and my neighbors that I’ve achieved. This is not like any job I’ve ever had. We are a family.
May 18, 2018

Wow, you have us tearing up over here! Thank you for the kind words. We're happy that, together, we make a great team for our neighbors and their pets.

fun and relaxed workplace, good for entry level employees
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Park, FLMay 4, 2018
Easy workplace, good for entry level employees. Good atmosphere, but very low wages, not meant to be a career unless you apply directly for management.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low wages
May 18, 2018

We're grateful to have had the opportunity to work together. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

fun workplace and lean a lot of new things about animals.
Stocker and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILMay 3, 2018
Pet Supple plus is a great first time job for someone that never been in retail. They take their time the train u right and make you feel like family. Also i great at working around your life and school schedule.
Pros
small business family feel and great first time job
Cons
no benefit and low pay
May 18, 2018

We're glad we could kick off your career on the right foot. Thank you for working hard for our neighbors.

Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLMay 3, 2018
This is truly a great place to work, management cares about the employees and are always open to ideas. You get to learn everything you could ever want about almost every pet you could imagine.
May 18, 2018

It sounds like the franchise owner has done an excellent job providing you with the environment you need to succeed. We're glad to hear that pets and people alike are having a great time at Pet Supplies Plus!

Good Entry Level Job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 2, 2018
If you're looking for a place to gain some experience, this job is pretty good for that. They pay more starting out for associates than most retail places. But it's not a career place in my opinion. Once you get higher up the food chain it's more about politics and numbers and less about the people.
May 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear we're a good fit at this stage of your professional development.

It’s ok if you like animals and unsanitary environments
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 30, 2018
Work hours were amazing, a good balance of hours between employees. The employees and managers were not welcoming at all. While being taught, well briefed on how to ring things up the manager skipped over many things that were mandatory and should’ve been mentioned before I touched the register. They only focus on the products shelves, not the animals, or the cleanliness of the store. The bathrooms, front end, grooming (self and groomer) area, floors, and animals cages were disgusting. I asked how often was the store and bathrooms were being mopped and swept the store manager got very hostile and walked away. There’s more grasshopper on the floor than there is being sold.
Pros
Seeing different animals and learning new things about them
May 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review. We'd like to connect you with the franchise owner to discuss your feedback. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name, pet center location and phone number?

Fun and easy job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greece, NYApril 29, 2018
The team member position is easy and fun, but the compensation and pay is not equal to the amount of work they want you to do. Management is not good, but the pay in management positions is.
May 11, 2018

Thank you for making our team the best it can be. So that we can improve, we'd like to talk with you to learn more about team leadership. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com?

ok.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAApril 26, 2018
With the right leadership. it can prosper.I dont know what else to say. Met some cool pets and seen some cool animals. Didnt like the management but it is what it is.
May 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If you have any additional comments you'd like to share, we'd love to connect. You can reach us by sending an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com.

Fun yet surprisingly stressful place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2018
Typical day at work starts with uploading the deposit record, counting petty cash, and putting the drawer in the register. Then we start cleaning fish tanks, feeding/ misting the reptiles and changing the small animal bedding. Depending on what day it is, the truck will come early, around 9 AM or so. I assign a cashier, stocker, and animal care giver for the day, then I'll write an order or start a planogram. Customer service is always our number one focus, so it's important that I'm always on the floor. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing our regulars bring in their dogs, and meeting all of the new dogs. It's cool seeing different breeds and watching how happy the new puppies are to see the store. The hardest part of the job is getting everyone to stay focused on their task for the day. It's very easy to get distracted at a pet store, so it's important that we always have a job list ready in case the day is a little slow. The work place is usually fast pace, especially on truck days. But you definitely have days that are more calm and relaxed, where you can really focus on training and teaching associates new things about pet care.
Pros
Very good discount, see animals every day
Cons
Paid time off is very slim, takes awhile to get to a pay you're comfortable with
May 11, 2018

Thank you for all of your hard work to make our pet center the best around! We are lucky to have an assistant team leader that is so invested in the development of staff and the neighbor experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supplies Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight