Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

Fun and relaxed place to work
Cashier/Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Telford, PAJanuary 24, 2019
Pet Supplies Plus was a nice place to work at. Weekends were busier but most night shifts were very relaxed. Even with a lot of customers in the store it was manageable. There are a lot of tasks you may be given. Training was a bit bad. I remember during my employment I would train new employees versus a manager. However, that gave me good experience. I left because I was not receiving raises because the way you received raises at PSP was not being put into action. I was not helped in trying to receive a raise and in the end after being there for so long I was ready to move on. However, PSP was a good job. Besides management issues, it is a very relaxed and fun environment to work. I would recommend having a good amount of animal knowledge going into it. Coworkers I worked with who didn't know anything about products made the job a bit more difficult, but it only made me work harder to learn more about products myself.
February 6, 2019

Thanks for sharing this review and your feedback. We appreciate all your hard work during your time with us and wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Fantastic, as long as the management is solid
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 4, 2019
I love working in my store, I think it's wonderful, that being said, it wasn't always like that. The old management was horrible, didn't respect owners, the supervisors were lazy, a bunch of people left. I stuck it out because I saw opportunity to move up, and so I took it, and they noticed. I made sure to do my job well, and it got me a raise and promotion, as long as you work hard and ask questions, its a pretty solid place to work. Unless it's the one in Manchester CT, that place is a train wreck.
Pros
Great People, good work enviornment
Cons
raises are inconsistent, customers are hit or miss, it's retail
Over Worked, Underpaid, Poor Management
Stock Member (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 8, 2019
Too many responsibilities for the pay you are given. I was treated as a worker monkey expected to get everything done ahead of schedule no matter how busy we got or how often I needed to help customers. To have the chance to earn a raise you need to take a series of test and finish training.
It is the manager's job to complete training but they choose to never do it. I have been working for over a year and my "training" is still not done and when I ask to complete it so I can get a raise they deny me the chance. This company seems to care more about money than their employees.
Pros
Interact with animals and a good work out
Cons
Underpaid, poor management, treated poorly
January 25, 2019

Thank you for leaving this review. We're very concerned about your feedback and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Collaborative environment where common sense reigns supreme
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 3, 2019
Do I love working at PSP? Yes. Is this job for everyone? I don’t think so. If you’re capable and willing to learn and grow, this environment is probably one you can thrive in. As you work here, you’ll learn a lot more product knowledge which will make your life easier. Daily tasks include checking people out at the register, customer service, and putting items in their home spot. Management is super nice and easy to work with. If you have common sense and perform well then you’ll definitely get on their good side. The owner isn’t my favorite person but it’s manageable. If you show up and do what you’re told to to the best of your ability, you’ll be fine.

P.S. If you’re on the schedule, you better show up and or you will be yesterday’s news
Pros
Great coworkers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Compensation could be better
January 25, 2019

Thank you for this feedback and all your hard work to make sure our neighbors and their pets receive great service. We're happy to have you on our team!

Been with the company for to long
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Salem, VANovember 27, 2018
typical day: animal care, cashiering, helping neighbors
learned: conversational skills
management: unwilling to listen, condescending
culture: stressful, argumentative, accusatory,
hardest part: losing animals, being treated with disrespect
enjoyable: meeting new people, helping neighbors, teaching
I've been with the company for a year now, and haven't received any kind of raise even though entitled to one. The store I work at is sub-par, and the district manager is sexist and unwilling to listen. I am putting in my two-week notice soon, due to the fact that my job was given to an inexperienced team member.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
everything
December 11, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're concerned about your feedback and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Fun place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Gladstone, MOFebruary 13, 2019
Pet Supplies plus is a good place to work but only if you’re a teenager with no bills or financial responsibilities. I started this job with the hopes of saving my money but it’s almost impossible to do. I’m a teenager living at home and I live paycheck to paycheck just paying for gas and food for my pets and food for myself while I’m working. The original manager at my store was not a nice lady, she’d make fun of employees and talk bad about other employees to the employees just to start drama. However, this was brought up to a higher authority and dealt with properly. The new manager was previously one of our store leads and knew the staff very well. The employees become a family here, making it a comfortable work place. Worst thing about it is, sometimes hours get cut because the store isn’t placed in a very wealthy area so we aren’t able to sell enough, which really holds back some of the employees when they can only get 8 hours a week.
Pros
Flexible with hours, good management, great employees
Cons
Low hours, bad pay, no raises, no benefits
I have only worked at one PSP Store and had an unpleasant experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  305 Sidney Baker St S Suite 400February 9, 2019
The owner of the store I worked at was not a good one. She employed her children, picked favorites and had a clique that got extra benefits that other employees did not. She also underpaid teenagers. I made a point to share my starting hourly wage to newcomers to encourage them to demand fair pay. When it became apparent that I disapproved of the clique and biased treatment, she lowered my hours to try to get me to quit (and I knew this was the case because she had told me before that that was her tactic to remove workers she did not want). I enjoyed working at the store itself. The work was fun, I enjoyed taking care of the animals, and I loved talking with the customers and helping them find the best products for their pets.
Pros
Fun work environment and get to see a lot of unique and interesting pets
Cons
Biased management
Not a fan of anything
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYNovember 6, 2018
Worked here as my first job for almost two years. Consistently attempted to try to work on “Pet-Degrees” to earn a raise, was never allowed to work on it, per my manager. Lots of inconsistencies in management. Management had little to no training and were too childish to run a store. Petty games between associates and GM. Sees team members as a dime a dozen to be honest. Could not pay any bills making slightly above minimum wage. I hoped going into the job, to advance and grow with the store/company. You will never advance in this place. You are also only given one free t shirt no matter how long you are employed there, the rest you must buy.
Pros
Friendly neighbors, playing with pets that come in, building bonds with coworkers
Cons
Everything else
November 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing this review with us. We appreciate your feedback and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Terrible place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  IowaDecember 7, 2018
When I applied for this job, I was eager to get started right away. My first few weeks were great and the managers were awesome. A month and a half after I started, I began to see the true side of my managers and what the company was really after. My managers were great during the interview and assured me that I would work 15+ hours a week. They lied. I get maybe 6 hours a week and the managers are rude, back stabbing, and grouchy. I would not recommend working here. There are no benefits and you do not get paid enough for the jobs you do. All the company is after is money and they do not care for you. Don't waste your time, this place is awful to work for. Try to find someplace that will respect you and pay you the right amount of money for the job you do!
Pros
10% discount
Cons
rude management, short breaks.
December 18, 2018

Thanks for your review. We're concerned about your feedback and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name, phone number and the number of the store where you work?

A good first job
Head of Animal Care (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 27, 2018
Was one of the best employees if not the best, always to work on time, and covered shifts of no shows. Never got a raise, but that's just the corporate nature of the store. Fun to work with the people and animals, but they expect a LOT for a minimum wage part time position. As a person in animal care, I had to cashier and cover breaks, stock shelves, deal with trash and run a floor scrubbing machine on top of caring for all the animals. I basically knew how to do my job, as well as every other job in the store other than manger. They expected you to care for the animals run register, stock shelves, clean up spills, clean the floor, fix messy shelves and have all this done on a 4 hour shift at minimum wage.
Pros
fun to work with pet loving customers
Cons
amount of working hours and effort to pay ratio
December 11, 2018

Low pay job solely for students
Stocker/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  WIOctober 4, 2018
You might get lucky and have a franchisee that hires you at a decent wage, but expect something barely over minimum. You can only get raises through some pathetic training system every six months that managers will rarely have time for you to do. Asking for a raise outside of that needs an exception, which you probably won't get. The only room for advancement in position is if a manager or store lead leaves. Practically the only full time workers are managers, everyone else is 30 hours for tax reasons. Find a job that values you at least a bit on paper.
Pros
Relaxed and fun work environment, variable schedules, not too hard to RTO
Cons
No full time, bad pay, no raises, no advancement, inconsistent management, very little consideration for employees
October 22, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're concerned about your feedback and would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name, phone number and the number of the store where you work?

Could be better
Store Associate/animal care (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXOctober 23, 2018
I took this job hoping that I could advance with it, and be successful there. They held everyone down at part-time, and refused to offer anyone benefits. The starting pay was sadly not a living wage in the area I lived in. Then there was an issue within the team. Certain coworkers created a hostile work environment, and seemed to enjoy doing so. I would get stuck doing my job and other people’s jobs, so they could just sit back and take it easy. Not okay, but management never did anything about it. All around a disappointing experience. I don’t think the management cared about retaining hard working, knowledgeable staff.
Pros
Small discount
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, lot of animosity on the team
November 12, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to connect you with the franchise owner. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Cool place to work, no opportunity for advancement
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVJanuary 1, 2019
My typical workday was fun and productive. Unfortunately after 7 years with the company advancement and compensation weren't where they should have been. My coworkers and management were great. I wouldn't have left if I could have gotten more compensation and a higher position in the company.
Pros
Coworkers, Management, Environment
Cons
Lack of Advancement
January 25, 2019

Thank you for your review. We would like to speak with you to learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Good people, bad pay.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIAugust 9, 2018
Fast paced and almost always had a few tasks planned for your day of work. They really care about the animals they have in store and make sure the people adopting them will take care of them. Employees are encouraged to become a groomer, which is increased pay but you have to work for them for the next two years to repay them. I learned many transferable skills and my managers really cared about me, but there is a high turnover rate because the pay is minimum wage and hard to get a raise. They make sure you work just under 40 hours so you are considered part time and not full time so you don't get benefits besides a 10% discount on products in the store. I stayed because of the great people I worked with, but the job is not an ideal long term job, there's no money to save with minimum wage.
Pros
Good coworkers and good motive to help customers.
Cons
No health benefits and no advancement.
August 28, 2018

It's important that our team members are motivated to do their best to take care of our neighbors and our animals, so we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We wish you the best in the future!

calm working environment/ team member drama
SHIFT SUPERVISOR, CASHIER, ANIMAL CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Valrico, FLSeptember 8, 2018
In the beginning I enjoyed it very much. There was a lot of drama and still to this day more drama from what I've heard since shopping in the store, it took away the calming factor and started to stress me out. However, I loved the customers, most of the employees, and I loved what I did day to day for the store caring for animals and providing customer service. Overall it was a great learning experience.
Pros
50% off store brand dog or cat food, 10% off all purchases, being paid to be around animals
Cons
15 minute breaks unless management, no benefits
October 1, 2018

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We appreciate the time you spent with us and wish you the best of luck in the future!

Fun job, great coworkers and great boss. animal care is lacking
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 15, 2019
I loved my boss and coworkers, I always had fun at work. the only thing I would change would be the animal care. at the fault of the CEO I felt they were not taken care of as much as they should have
Pros
fun, relaxed work environment
Cons
lack of opportunities, raises, and insufficient animal care
Great company bad pay
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 5, 2018
It was very hard for an associate to get a raise. I worked for about two years here and did not receive and pay raise or anything like that. I absolutely loved the job and if the would have given me even a ten cent raise I would have stayed. Absolutely would recommend if not needing to live off of it
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
Short breaks and hard to make any advancement
December 18, 2018

Thanks for your feedback and all your hard work to make sure our neighbors and their pets received great service. Best of luck to you in the future!

Horrible place
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Seymour IndianaAugust 7, 2018
Absolutely the worst place to work. Ever. Management does not care about you or your family. Production is all that matters. Safety is preached about only after someone gets hurt. Training at best is sub par. After years of working there they FINALLY gave raises to the little people. And god only knows if it will happen again, yet the owner continues to get richer. Full of cliques in management that still screw over each other just to advance their own careers and egos. Pathetic. My prayers are enough people use chewy dot com enough that it shuts the place down.
Pros
Cons
It is all bad.
August 28, 2018

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to learn more about your experience, so that we can improve our working environment for our team members. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Not a good place for animal lovers.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INAugust 5, 2018
Decent pay but no benefits such as sick time, insurance or 401k. When hired you are told they are a different pet store and they care about animals. This was highly inaccurate, after the first week you are taught to neglect animals and if they are sick let them die and put them in the freezer. Employees are told the animals aren't worth the vet bill. Top priority is pushing their brand of pet food regardless of what the customer is looking for. We had a good district manager but the store manager and owner would override his decisions and talk bad about him to other employees.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No benefits, bad management
August 28, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are concerned with your feedback and would like to connect you with the franchise owner so we can speak with you about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Alright job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 30, 2019
I truly enjoyed my time here. It could be stressful at times but wasn’t too bad. Made a lot of friends and had a lot of good times there. My only beef is the lack of raises
Pros
Discounts, good management, animals, coworkers, flexible schedule, good hours
Cons
Pay
February 6, 2019

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the time you spent with us and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supplies Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight