Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Loved the invioment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, GAJuly 17, 2018
I love the people that I worked with , love the animal's, the job was easy and fun , very laid back , as long as you knew what you were doing the day just went smoothly.
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Upland, CAJuly 16, 2018
The staff and management are pretty chill, the hardest part of the job is dealing with upset customers. The managers try to make everyone feel like family, and do their best to work around schedules. The best part of the job is that you get to play with dogs all day!
Pros
10 percent discount, and a lot of training.
Cons
minimum wage for a small business, no benefits.
Empty Promises and Poor Management
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 16, 2018
Pet Supplies Plus will tell you anything you want to hear for you to accept a job offer. They make far too many promises and can never keep them. They will promise 30-35 hours a week and then they will tell you not to come in on your shifts because the store is too slow. Most likely you’ll get 15 or less scheduled hours after the first week or so, but you’ll only work maybe 5 of those scheduled hours since you’re told simply not to come in. They don’t know how to care for their animals, therefore, majority of the animals get sick or die. Sometimes for no apparent reason other than poor care. The management is by far the worst I’ve dealt with. The assistant manager can be so aggressive and “in your face” that people are scared to go into work. They lack the ability to communicate properly which then causes employees to be punished before they are talked to. Hours are cut due to personal differences and opinions instead of work related complications. They’ll happily give employees 0 hours for weeks at a time. I loved my job, but quit due to very very poor management and it broke my heart. The managers are digging this company a grave.
Pros
Learn animal care skills, learn customer service skills, decent pay, new store
Cons
No breaks, no hours, poor communication, managers lack ability to separate personal issues from professional issues, poor management
Loved it till
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Saint Clair Shores, MIJuly 15, 2018
I loved it till something happen to me an i was unable to call in myself so had my son go in and let them know I'd be out for few days. Came in when was able like 5 days after an they fired me saying i was a no call no show because they didn't take other people calling in for me.
Pros
Loved the ppl i worked with
Cons
Corporate
Overall poor company leadership.
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 14, 2018
Corporate management poorly communicates, takes credit for successes not previously involved with and quickly blames individuals for perceived failures without gaining correct information. Simply put, substandard and two faced corporate, regional and district leadership.
Pros
Experiences help with professional growth
Cons
Leadership not worth working for. Untrustworthy
Great overrall environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elmwood Park, ILJuly 12, 2018
Enjoyed working there. Hours were good, and I didn’t have trouble balancing my life and work. The managers were always super kind and helpful. I would recommend this job to someone
A good start but not there yet
Operations (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 9, 2018
In a transitional period, so things are improving but Very few promotional opportunities. No career development / mentoring programs. Segmented leadership with a follow orders mentality
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Benefits substandard deduct 10, 000 from your salary
Good temporary job
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  CTJune 28, 2018
The only good parts about working here are seeing all the animals and the willingness to work with your schedule. There are also some great regular customers that know how to brighten up my shifts. However, this place is full of unnecessary drama and stress, every employee is unappreciated, there are no raises, the management is awful, there is a lack of professionalism among employees and if you are part-time, don't expect to move up ever no matter how long you've been with the company. To add, breaks during 8-4 shifts aren't given until almost 3, so it's pointless. I would not recommend working at this store ever.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
July 9, 2018

Thank you for providing this feedback. We always want to make sure we're providing our team members with a great working environment, so we’d like to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number and number of the store where you work? Thanks.

Great first job, little to no room for improvement
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJune 28, 2018
It’s a great place to work, teaches you valuable customer service skills and helps you learn skills on stocking, dealing with the rare stubborn customer, how to work collaboratively with others, and the knowledge on pet supplies gained is very helpful.
The main downside is the severe lack of pay improvement. The ONLY way to get a pay raise is every six months, hours of painful work can be done to give you a measly 25 cent raise, six months later.

TL;DR Great first job, teaches great skills, not recommended as a long term job
Pros
30 breaks for every 5 hours work scheduled, great skills taught, fun coworkers, kittens
Cons
Little to no pay raises, no overtime allowed, no extra pay on holidays
July 9, 2018

Thank you for your review. If you have any more feedback or would like to provide more detail related to your experience, please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number and we we would be happy to connect you with the franchise owner.

Great Place To Work
Cashier/Pet Care Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49544June 27, 2018
Working at Pet Supplies Plus has been an amazing learning experience for me. It has taught me great communication skills, problem solving skills, and leadership skills. This is a job I truly enjoyed.
July 9, 2018

Thanks for leaving this review and your feedback. We're glad to have you on our team and it means a lot to know we are helping our team members grow and develop professionally. Thanks again!

Productive exciting place
Cashier/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAJune 27, 2018
i loved working at pet supplies the hours were great and the work environment was amazing. i gained so much animal knowledge and customer service knowledge. i also met a lot of puppies along the
way and i got my first 2 kittens working here! I loved who my co workers were but i felt like the management needed some help.
Pros
discounts on food, amazing hours, great pay
Cons
poor management
July 10, 2018

Thanks for leaving this review and providing your feedback. We appreciate all your hard work as part of our team and wish you the best of luck in the future. Thanks again!

Fun job bad managers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 26, 2018
The job is nice and the animals are wonderful. There's a great employee discount but the managers are unprofessional and rude. The animals needs are often not met resulting in a few deaths and injuries.
Pros
Animals, discount
Cons
Managment
July 9, 2018

Thank you for leaving this review. We're concerned by your feedback related to management and would like to connect you with the franchise owner so we can learn more about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number? Thanks.

Fun environment, rude and poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, NYJune 25, 2018
I love working with animals, however the management team sucked! Spiteful work environment, jealousy, accusations, yelling, fighting, just toxic. Had to leave.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear that this was your experience with us and we would like to connect you with the franchise owner so we can learn more. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number? Thanks.

Meh.
Store Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 25, 2018
It was an overall good experience. I learned new things about products and pets. Just had some problems with management. there was a lot of inconsistent and unorganized planning with schedules, etc.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for your review. We would like to speak with you in order to learn more about your experience with management. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Management was not good
Store Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fairport, NYJune 24, 2018
It was a nice job but even though it was part time position i was working almost full time hours. The manager was not an easy person to be around. I left when the other managers quit. There felt like there was a lot of pressure to preform well so the store had good numbers. I also felt like i wasn't trained as properly in some areas of the store as i should have been. most of the training was independent on your own time and was all online. As much as i loved my job and wanted to stay i mentally couldn't handle it.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
bad management
July 10, 2018

Thank you for providing this feedback. We always want to make sure we're providing our team members with a great working environment, so we’d like to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Acworth, GAJune 22, 2018
Very fun to work here with the kind people around. Working with animals is my number 1 favorite thing to do. The whole team is finally nd energetic all the way around.
Not a fair and honest Co.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYJune 21, 2018
Unfair upper management. Favortism. District manager lies to his store teams to make himself look good. So does the store manager. Store Manager sits in the office and yells orders to the team members right in front of the customers. District manager calls team members names to other team members.
Pros
Working with pets. Great customers.
Cons
Everything else.
July 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're concerned by your feedback related to management and would like to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Day to day work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJune 21, 2018
You go to work everyday knowing what needs to be done and by when. The work was easy going and not too hard of labor. Everyone was assigned their own jobs and the managers were always there to help. Everyone enjoyed working with others and enjoyed seeing all the animals that came in to walk around the store. Working at Pet Supplies Plus makes everyone very knowledgeable about the pros and cons to certain foods for guest's pets along with any toys or treats that would work best for them. Pet Supplies Plus teaches their workers valuable and useful information.
Pros
working with animals and being able to give people advice
Cons
only getting 1 break a day
July 9, 2018

High school all over again....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 18, 2018
If you don't fit in with the cool kids then you aren't apart of anything happening at the store. Management is very unprofessional and disrespectful. There was no concept of a positive work environment. I've been in retail for a long time and have never come across a more disorganized manager ever. I would never recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Almost everything else about the place.

A pleasant first job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJune 16, 2018
I loved my time at Pet Supplies Plus. The customers are nice, the animals are fun and the employees are nice! I wish the management was better though, once a new person gets hired they cut your time. Also never tell you when you call off you need a note. This is a job for people who don't have bills to pay.
Pros
Environment is nice
Cons
Management, poor hours, pay
July 9, 2018

Thank you for the time you spent with us. We appreciate your feedback and would like to connect you with the franchise owner so we can learn more about your experience. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number? Thanks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supplies Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight