Pet Supplies Plus Employee Reviews

good first job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAJune 14, 2019
Pretty quick paced on weekends and evenings. Comforting when common customers come in with their pets. Some employees ignore tasks and give attitude often.
Pros
animals, flexible hours
Cons
poor pay
Fun and interesting
Cashier/ Closing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 13, 2019
Really enjoyed this job. The co-workers were great, management okay, and enjoyed working with the animals. The only drawback is that the former owner was kind of useless
Pros
Good people, fun with the animals
Cons
Store owner was a little ridiculous
A friendly and understanding place to work
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTJune 13, 2019
Everyone who works at PSP is friendly and willing to help out not only the customers but our co-workers as well. The management is extremely understanding when it comes to scheduling.
It was a very relaxed and productive environment.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2019
A typical day consisted of making sure all the products were faced front so customers were able to see them clearly and all in all making sure all customers left satisfied. Through out months at pet supplies plus I got to learn many food brands that were good for specific dog breeds and which ones were bad too. Furthermore, the workplace culture was very relaxed and productive. I would say the hardest part at PSP was getting to know where each product goes where in the store when restocking. Lastly, the most enjoyable part was getting to see so many different animals and interacting with them. If you are an animal lover than this would be a perfect job for you.
i dont get paid enough
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Telford, PA 18969June 12, 2019
i am getting yelled at by mangemant or im not doing good enough for them when i try my hardest to please them i love working with the aniaqmls and seeing all the pets that come in
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 11, 2019
This was a very fun place to work. Besides dealing with some unruly customers sometimes, the atmosphere was friendly between coworkers and most managers. Although we didn't have the best teaching when it came to showing new employees the correct ways to take care of the animals or correctly use the register, most people tried their best to do the work.
Good second job, poor wages
Sales associate/stocker (Former Employee) –  NE OhioJune 11, 2019
I would recommend this job for anybody looking for a second job or a student in high school/college. They worked well with my hours with my primary job. Expectations and priorities are not focused on what you would think they should be on (getting yelled at for email captures when your customers are Amish, for example). The raise system is horrendous. Completing Pet degrees is fine and dandy, when you actually have permitted time to do them. After completing two, the minimum wage increased shortly after, but my wage stayed the same. It is what it is.
Pros
Pets, pets, and more pets
Cons
Poor incentives
Great job for animal lovers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canton, MIJune 11, 2019
The day to day is generally very repetitive with your daily tasks. One of the things I have enjoyed the most is that I have been able to expand my animal knowledge and care for them, as well as learned new information regarding different foods, house breaking, etc. Management is generally really laid back and very helpful. Always encourages the employees to ask questions and offer suggestions. Everyone is very laid back and it is a very "family" style atmosphere. There really is no hard part to the job, and the most enjoyable part is interacting with all your regular Neighbors and their fur-kids.
Usual Corporate Control
Manager (Current Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHJune 9, 2019
The quality of pets the company has gone with its terrible resulting in poor store performance and empty habitats, but the corporate offices blame the workers in the store. Corporate has ridiculous expectations and favors certain managers over others.
Pros
Flexible and work with pets
Cons
Terrible Pay, stressful, unreachable goals
Good people worked there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJune 7, 2019
I loved this job. Only problem was that the manager of the store cut her hard working employee hours for her grand daughter every summer. The manager didn't care about her employee and their life but the store and other employees was there best people I ever met in my life.
Great until it changed
Manager/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 6, 2019
This was my absolute favorite retail job. They really cared about their employees, they ran the company like a family business, and you felt comfortable being yourself and speaking up. Once the CEO was changed, everything else changed. I know companies need to grow, but you don't have to change how you treat your employees.
It was a place of business that sold pet products.
PetCo/PetSmart (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJune 4, 2019
It was hard work but i enjoyed working with the public and teaching the public what they needed to know so they could understand better how to take better care of their animal.
Pros
It was a job that paid money
Cons
the managers were not nice at all.
New Management
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 3, 2019
I worked at Pet Supplies Plus for four year and loved it before they got new management. The new management made life very difficult and the work environment unfun.
Insulting poor treatment by corporate
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Northeast ohioJune 2, 2019
Anonymous surveys which hold a store teams work or job security in the balance, are actionable. When someone litigates this it will be changed. Devaluing loyalty is a dangerous policy.
When there are no ways to validate the statements, identify the truths from the targeting, it demoralizes a team, or encourages personal campaigns of lies. We lose great managers - the stress is very bad. If a Psp staff works with the public is politically active, especially in their stores community, there is backlash, especially in animal rights issues. Most of us are.
My mgr works her tail off, is sincere, not fake, and a strong advocate for r his team, she will not allow verbal abuse by rude “neighbors but that also gets him in trouble. Holding a team/store hostage via anonymous or generic names and a totally unsubstantiated star ratings system is insulting to both a hard working team, and the regular people who shop the store.
The manipulation of surveys is company wide, always has been, and visiting team members from other stores hint that a struggling store can fix all Surveys with boosts from friends and families? Which proves just how wrong the surveys are as a measuring of anything valid. If your a honest person you will get screwed - and if anyone tries to defend or explain the real system, you are considered to be making excuses.
What is the difference between the reasons why something happens, and the excuse FOR what happens? The corporate people don’t listen, and won’t talk about it with a lowly shift or cashier. Not sure they even talk to my store manager!
The
  more... lack of meaningful support is discouraging - no training, just blame on a super young manager who has the best attitude and does everything asked of them. If all retail jobs are like this, that explains why mgrs dont stay very long. And why shifts don’t want to be promoted!  less
Pros
The idea of what a pet store SHOULD be, and could be LOve my day in neighbors and their pets .
Cons
Misconduct of upper mgmt for promotion consideration, sexism heavy, poor working environment, training nonexistent, culture of threats for performance, and bullying by corporate staff not in the stores, lack of reality of the created problems
Wasn’t that bad. Was very taxing on my body, I was dealing with recovering from a car accident that shattered my ankle
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INMay 31, 2019
Wasn’t a bad place to work. Management was poor I didn’t even know my supervisor last name. Team leader was very nice and helpful. Very tiring hours, would maybe work there again though. My ankle has healed and feels a lot better
Pros
Worked 4 days a week
Cons
Busy busy busy
June 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and for the time you spent with us. We wish you the best of luck in the future.

Fun and Informative
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTMay 31, 2019
My two years at this company were outstanding. My boss was understanding and effective at getting her job done, as well as training her employees. I learned a lot about the products and animals here, as well as developed crucial skills for helping customers,
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Corporate is too harsh on it's employees.
June 5, 2019

Thank you for providing this feedback. It sounds like you had a very rewarding experience and we appreciate the time you spent with us. Best of luck to you in the future!

Pretty good place to start out
Stocker, Cashier, Supervisor, Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 31, 2019
If you need a solid retail job and don't mind dealing with horrible people, PSP isn't a bad place to start. Just don't think that the pay is going to go up anytime soon, it won't.
June 5, 2019

Thank you for leaving this review. We would like to connect you with the franchise owner. Can you please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name and phone number?

Easy and fun work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 30, 2019
Great environment and customers. See puppies all day. It’s a family environment and easy work. You get discounts and you gain great knowledge about dog and cat nutrition.
Pros
Steady pace, team work, see cute animals, gratifying
Cons
Short breaks, customers can be rude, hours can get cut easily
June 5, 2019

We appreciate your feedback and the time you spent with us. Thank you for providing our neighbors and their pets with great service and we wish you the best!

Very education oriented
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 30, 2019
everything I know about animals and the care for animals is because of the classes they want you to take as an employee and as a manager. The management at the time sucked though.
June 5, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and for the time you spent with us. We wish you the best of luck in the future.

For Animal Lovers
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Saint Clair Shores, MIMay 29, 2019
Working at Pet Supplies Plus is a pretty laid back job at first. Once you are promoted, there is a lot more on your shoulders and if you don't have enough staff, welp, good luck. All in all, it is a very good store.
June 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. If you would like to provide further feedback, please send an email to onlineservice@petsuppliesplus.com with your name, phone number and the number of the store where you work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Supplies Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight