Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Cashier- Decent job working with animals
Sales Associate- Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 20, 2019
The training is rushed, and they rush you to get you key and make a huge deal out of being a keyholder. My managers don't care about anything but the time they get off, and they're always pushing you to get customers to buy more than they need. The culture is almost too relaxed, and most employees don't care about the job. I asked to work a certain amount of hours per week and they keep cutting my hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing dogs.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
not enough pay, poor management
Overworked and Underpaid
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jenkintown, PAFebruary 19, 2019
Everyone is over worked and underpaid, manager is never in the store and when you need questions answered you’re made to feel stupid. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else
Stressful for a Pet store
Certified Pet Nutritionist & Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Richboro, PAFebruary 17, 2019
The company based the stores on the number of sales that they would get and it was never enough for them. They would remain open during horrible winter storms and icy conditions. They had no regards for the staff or the way that they were treated. I did receive my nutritional certification through the program that they offered. I also was able to meet the majority of my dog sitting clients through them.
Not worth it
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Richboro, PAFebruary 17, 2019
You are expected to do just about everything a manager can do, except you don't get the authority or pay of a manager. As a keyholder you often open/close alone which means being responsible for counting the drawer and cleaning up the store by yourself.
At my location, the management was terrible. She picks favorites, never replies when needed, and sometimes straight up ignored me when I tried to ask about scheduling.
They basically require you to sell your soul to this company despite the fact that they do not offer you the pay or benefits required to do that!
I worked here for over a year promising that I would get a raise and I never did. Those who did end up getting raises only got 25 to 50 cents at a time.
They do basically the absolute barest minimum when it comes to treating you like a valued employee/human being.
Pros
seeing animals
Cons
everything else
You Will Learn to be Independent
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MultipleFebruary 11, 2019
You are on your own. Which is unexpected since this is the 3rd largest pet supply retailer in the country.
The company's expectations and support are not in line. It seems as though new ideas are introduced to overloaded workers with no thought of time management.
Every single task is approached as a priority but stores are not given payroll to properly take care of these tasks. It is expected that managers in high volume stores take paperwork or planning home in order to be able to properly plan these tasks that were not properly thought through at a corporate level.

It is impossible to staff stores. The company expects all team members to have keys to stores and to take responsibility of daily events but insist on paying minimum wage or as close to it as possible regardless of experience. You literally cannot pay people to care about what is happening in the store.

As a manager, you will be expected to work 7 days a week. You will receive numerous emails and phone calls that need immediate attention and will receive negative feedback if you do not respond. You will never have a day off or a vacation.
Pros
Visiting puppies and dogs. Working with local non-profits.
Cons
Complete burn-out. Corporate is disconnected from the reality of their front-line employees.
Fun Place to Learn the Ropes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 9, 2019
PetValu was a great place to work at. It taught me the fundamentals of retail life and gave me a sense of responsibility that i wouldn't have otherwise.
Cons
lots of training videos, single staffed, dog wash, no breaks
Fast paced, low pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 8, 2019
Management is horrible. She treats the staff like children by yelling and belittling us, and has even made staff members cry. Do not expect raises. They will try to pay you as little as possible while expecting you to multi task, be knowledgeable of all of the products, and to constantly keep your sales up along with donation intakes. The only positive is seeing the adorable furry friends that come into the store, but be prepared to clean up animal accidents often!
Pros
50% off store brand
Cons
Low pay, never enough staff
Great place to work!
Sales Associate, Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Reading, PA & Newtown, PAFebruary 2, 2019
I have been with the company for almost two years. The management is wonderful and all staff is great to work with. Definitely a good atmosphere to be apart of.
Good company
Lead Key Holder (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHJanuary 11, 2019
It's a fun environment to work in, usually the coworkers are like minded individuals who you will get along with.
Fast paced, multi tasking job where there is always something to do. A lot of cleaning is involved but I highly enjoyed my time spent at Pet Valu.
Great place for pet owners
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, MDJanuary 8, 2019
Great place but no understanding of being caught in traffic. Manager could use more heart for employees. Favoritism for certain employees. Cant work more then told.
Pros
You do get breaks
Cons
Management only really care about themselves
Writing a review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHDecember 25, 2018
Pet Valu is a nice company to work for, they keep the animals happy and the dog wash clean. A typical day for somebody opening would include feeding/watering the animals to cleaning out the different areas.
Pretty much here for the animals and knowledge on food.
Pet Expert (Current Employee) –  MDDecember 14, 2018
Pet Valu is an ok place to work. I agree with a lot of the other reviews. I feel as though we don't get paid enough for everything that needs to be done. In addition to that, management is too sales driven. I never hear the end of my manager talking about DPTs. Personally, my manager is a cool guy, but he is unorganized and doesn't respect my schedule outside of work. I'm a college student, the last thing I need is to not have my schedule respected. I honestly feel like I'm everyone's go-to, which is unfair and is an extra workload on me. On the positive side, I'm glad that the University of California, Davis of all schools certifies us and seeing the animals makes my day.
Pros
knowledge provided, great employee discounts.
Cons
low pay, not enough benefits.
Busy and fun place to work part time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, RIDecember 10, 2018
Pet Valu is a fun plae to work. There are advancement opportunities, however, they are few and in between. You are challenged with a number of cases as you are dealing with people and their pets.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Few hours and retail hours
It's an easy job if you like animals and customer service
Keyholder/Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  South Euclid, OHNovember 20, 2018
It really differs per store, it's a nice job and plenty of nice customers to talk to. You can see the cutest animals and if you like customer service it's a nice interaction. You really can't go wrong with a job like this it's just that the pay is minimum so you really aren't making money but the certification they provide after training is a plus if you ever want to get a job in an animal hospital. This is really just a part time job unless your a manager.
Pros
nice atmosphere, organized
Cons
low pay, short hours of work per week
Fun Workplace were you get to spend time with animals.
KEY HOLDER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  1209 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201November 16, 2018
-Typical work day would be consistent of following shift outline duties.
-Learned animal dos and don'ts through training program.
-Management wasn't the greatest at the location I worked.
-Hardest part of the job was opening the store for deliveries and pricing products.
-Most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with customers pets.
Enjoyable
Sales Associate/ Keyholder, Pet Valu (Current Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJNovember 11, 2018
Every day is different. Some days we will be slow, other days, we would be crazy busy. My favorite parts about my job are the customers and meeting/ learning about their pets. You tend to build great relationships with the customers. You learn a lot. You do have to go through training, which you learn about all animals, including dogs, cats, fish and small animals.
Overall experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 10, 2018
Petvalu is a flexible company to work for. Petvalu is a great company to work for if you are in high school or going into college. The on site training came natural and was easy to catch up to other employees on product knowledge.
Pros
Great store management, work around schedules
Cons
Low pay, raises not being give, distric management
Starts off great, but be prepared
DAYSHEET AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PANovember 1, 2018
I worked for the company for years and they start off great and then go downhill. Sales goals are emphasized over many other aspects, leading to problems that could have been prevented.
Pros
Discount on pet food and supplies, internal promotion
Cons
Too sales focused, not much for employee feedback
Lots of interaction
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHOctober 17, 2018
You are required to do everything in the store - laundry, animals, clean up dog feces and urine on sales floor, clean dog wash area, do dishes, all while making sure all customers in the store don’t need any help, and aren’t waiting to be helped.
Pros
Paid mileage for going to other stores
Cons
I feel like we’re underpaid for all the stuff that needs done. No benefits.
Education based customer service. Fun and energetic.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 15, 2018
Can be fast paced and exciting, depending on which location.
Often fulfilling knowing we are trained to assist customers with their pet’s needs. Engaging with the customers and making a difference in their lives through the life of their pets is very rewarding.
Pros
Certification program through UC Davis School of Veterinarian Medicine
Cons
Work life balance can be strained

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight