Petco Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 3,040 reviews matching the search See all 3,134 reviews
Great company to work for.
Merchandising Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 17, 2018
I loved my job. Great company that really cares about the animals and does not discriminate breeds. Would recommend any animal lover to work here. Good job for out of high school.
Thoroughly Enjoyed the work life
Grooming Apprentice/Bather/Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJuly 15, 2018
I worked at Petco that opened in Upper Darby. The management was wonderful and worked with my inconsistent college schedule. Floor leads and managers were friendly and supportive. The team had wonderful collaboration and cared about the pets more than the profits. Very enjoyable place to work.
Good for Animal Lovers
Guest Advisor/MIT (Current Employee) –  Raritan, NJJuly 15, 2018
Great if you love animals. Some days are busier than others depending on season, month, holidays, etc. Some days can be stressful, but, retail is like that.
Fun atmosphere most of the time.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2018
The direction of the company is constantly changing to better fit the customer needs. This can challenge individuals to succeed or struggle without proper guidance.
Pros
Fun people environment, Take your pet to work
Cons
micro management, constant directive changes
Worth the Commitment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAJuly 14, 2018
Petco pays for training to become a certified dog groomer, and then pays commission on top of hourly for your work. Flexible hours and time off, management was friendly and works with you to better your experience.
terrible upper level management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, MSJuly 14, 2018
entirely too demanding for tasks given versus pay roll hours. mnagement plays favoritets. Petco preaches animals first, but literally only two or three people at max actually check on the animals and care properly for them. work conditions (breakroom, wellness room etc) are absolutely disgusting covered with old food adn mold.
Pros
if the manager likes you, you dont have to do any actual work
Cons
manager plays favorites, unfair work environment, rules only apply to certain people, too demanding with no reward, underappreciated employees, employees treated as lesser beings, store manager does not help staff
Guest Advisor Leader on Duty
Guest Advisor Leader on Duty (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 14, 2018
Company doesn't care about you, barely cares about the animals. Always understaffed and customers are rude and ungrateful. I almost never get breaks and neither does anyone else on staff, except for the store manager who get six smoke breaks. District Manager only knows power moves and doesn't know how to actually talk to another human being. Consistently passed over for positions I'm qualified for. The jobs go to those who know someone. It's one big clique. Great if you're fresh out of high school and don't know any better. Love yourself and stay away.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No breaks, no pto until anniversary, District Manager is a tool
Good Company, Not for everyone
Aquatics Specialist/ Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 13, 2018
I would say don't work here if you don't absolutely love animals. It is a must because you will be around them constantly.

Not to mention the fact that you will be continuously cleaning up after them.
Corporate
Merchandising Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 12, 2018
The job is easy but the corporate part of the company prevents any real investment. The wages are low for the effort expected. Advancement isnt rewarded by effort but by social relationships.
Wish there was room to move up.
Dog trainer (Current Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYJuly 12, 2018
Wish there was better pay for what I do. I'm a full-time dog trainer and I get paid 10.90$ an hour; I only get 20$ a dog while Petco gets 100$ per dog
Don't waste your time
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 11, 2018
If you want to be more than a cashier who sometimes gets to teach a training class, don't waste your time. You make no money, you build no clientele, and you are not seen as a professional. If you're dealing with the Flint, Michigan store, get used to the assistant manager who thinks breathing on the back of your neck is "funny". Creepy place, creepy people.
Relaxed
Small Animal Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 11, 2018
It was very relaxed. Workers were nice and willing to help around store. Pay needed to be better. Management could have been better. It was nice to get discounts on pet supplies.
Pros
Discount on pet supplies
Good job for animal lovers
Customer service, stock, sales expert (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJuly 10, 2018
Typical day involve stocking and helping customers. Working at a pet store you must be ready for many specific questions from customers. Stocking had terrible hours.
Petco
Sales Associate, Cashier, and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAJuly 10, 2018
Every one was nice. The customers where very nice. The co-workers were all very nice and cool to be around. The manager was a very nice people to talk to
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Cricket
They don't care about you
Manager, Grooming Salon (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 10, 2018
The job started off ok, just a job to get me through college. I moved into every position available but only increased $2 the entire 6 years I spent there. Turnover in staff was rapid and frequent, I worked with 6 different Store Managers, and 7 different District Managers in my time at the same store. They didn't care about me or my coworkers, it always felt like "Us against them." I worked hard, and followed the rules, but they just took advantage of me and my compliance. I don't recommend working at Petco.
Pros
Benefits aren't too bad.
Cons
Unethical management, Low pay, Change policies with every new manager
no hours to give
Guest Advisor LOD (Current Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJuly 9, 2018
They play favorites and rarely promote within the company. Staff is eager to learn but when asking questions, theres not alot of feed back. There is always something to work on, which is good. Benefits are good.
good luck getting a lunch
Merchandise Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJuly 9, 2018
Understaffed to the point you are unable to actually preform your job duties. Scheduling needs a complete overhaul. No one was properly trained and store manager was unwilling to teach.
immature people
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJuly 8, 2018
stressful. immature grooming staff. employees are not nice. hostile work environment. management was not great. would never work there again. not good
This company is not worth working for.
Grooming Salon Leader (Former Employee) –  Irondequoit, NYJuly 8, 2018
The only things I got from this company was my grooming certificate and a really bad anxiety issue.

The first 30 days, my manager was to teach me how to bath dogs and blow them out and do nails. I went to another store whose standards were much higher and they made me cry on my 9th day of grooming they expected me to shave down and entire down in 20 minutes.

Once I finally got my certification my manager quit and I was bumped up and the store manager went out on disability. There was absolutely no teamwork to help between the managers in the store.

Managers didn't do their jobs and I had to watch small animals die for no reason. No one got along and it felt like fighting tooth and nail to keep my department from falling apart.

There was a shooting outside our store and they brought the head of all security into our store who basically told us to buy a coffee machine and tell the cops we had free coffee for them so that they would stop in because they weren't going to pay for any sort of security for us.

Find a better company that cares about its staff and animals more.
Must Love Dogs
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 7, 2018
After being at multiple locations, it really depends on management whether or not this is an okay or absolutely terrible place to work. Corporate puts unrealistic expectations on grooming and dog training.