Petco
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Petco:

Petco Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA44 reviews
Petco was a great job. The pay was right for the work I was doing and the people were great. The only problem was the customers and hours. The days were long and it was very slow paced but that wasn’t a big issue.
I work hard and strive to achieve each days tasks.
Working hard for yourself and striving to achieve each days task ,honestly and being honest with yourself. Makes it possible to be honest with others.
I enjoyed working for Petco in the beginning. The stores sales are the key to everything as to the hours that are alloted every week.

No sales = less hours.

The benefits are great and the hourly rate to begin a management position is very fair.
I enjoy working at Petco. The compensation is decent but the best part about it is that Dog Trainers are treated differently than the rank and file employees. I get to choose my own schedule within certain company parameters and I don't have any hourly restrictions. I can work as much/as little as I want. Also, Dog Trainers are left to themselves to conduct their day as they see fit without interference from Management.
its a job. you’ll show up and they’ll pay you. will you look forward to it? not necessarily. is that a bad thing? depends on your outlook. will this job reinforce your love for animals? most likely No.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
It was a good job. I liked working there in the beginning but a lot of drama started happening after a few new associates were hired. Groomers were getting pay cuts and needed more dogs to make ends meet.
I think working at Petco is very interesting. I get to take care of animals like smalls, reptile, birds, aquatics. Some examples of small animals are ferrets, mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs. Some examples of reptiles are bearded dragons, crested geckos, leopard geckos, all different kinds of frogs. Some examples of birds are conures, parakeets and a couple of other birds.
Was a fun place to work in the beginning but once my first store manager left and the new one came in the store went downhill he was a jerk I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone vienna store 2818 the store manager comes up with any way to fire the people he does not like he doesn’t lead by example what a low grade job for such low pay greedy company not to mention my store manager always delayed sending sick animals to the vet
turn over for employees is high, usually i enjoy the work but the expectations, from the last manager, for how the customer should be treated was far higher than company guidelines, also there were a ton of issues he never reported like infestations. and i personally believe there should be a higher stress to refuse sales on animals if the customer will not take care of it properly.
Petco was a great place to work. I learned a lot while working there such as all the different brands of pet food and how to properly vcare for tons of animals.
Retail is already soul crushing but at petco, sometimes the cute little animals die. You get to help some people/animals but you have to live with the knowledge that most people are beyond help and their pets are going to be neglected.
I love working with the dogs. It's truly an experience that I've never had with other jobs. Training is extremely tiring and when I'm not at work, I'm too exhausted to do much of anything. I don't get paid enough to live through Dog Training alone and there is no room for raises since most positions salaries aren't much better. I had to do my mentorship outside of my home state. The company compensated for my travel, but it wasn't very motivating knowing that everyone at the store was making at least $3 an hour more than me because their state's minimum wage is a lot higher than my own state. It's also extremely exhausting to be required to work every single weekend just to provide a free service for the company. The fact that the pay is bi-weekly means that I'm completely broke for at least a week and a half. It's not worth it.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay
There were more managerz than associates so we got stuck on register most of the time. No real chance for every employee to grow within the company. It was fairly easy work, no benefits, relaxed atmosphere with regular customers and employees who all did their part to make things run efficiently.
Pros
Animals!!!
Cons
Outdated training and technology
As it was my first job, I loved it. It was a great opportunity for me the take care of cats in need of adoption and make sure they were relocated to their forever home.
Pros
Cats, nice staff, easy hours
Cons
low pay, minimal hours
Great people were great to work with, flexible hours, paid vacation. Able to interact with customers answer their questions , able to do many different duties within the store .
Pros
Heath benefits
Cons
Night work
Working at petco is a lot of fun and hands on with animals all the time. There are events that can be exciting and supportive to the whole community, such as adoption events, mobile vetco and they even provide grooming.
I did not like working with the people that worked here at the time. The environment was uncomfortable. The management was not always there when they needed to be.
Pros
good customers
Cons
co workers
I already did one for this job and I don't think it would be productive for me to fill it out a second time. I may be wasting my time doing this and I dont know how to skip
I learned how to become a groomer and was introduced to the stressful culture of grooming. I learned how to deal with physical ailments and still continue on with my work
The management is amazing and the work environment is very upbeat. The animals are amazing and the chance to participate with adoptions was a great experience
you have to be an animal lover, fish ect and you got to know things bout most animals you also get to see rare breeds and see all kinds of people and stars
Pros
great
Cons
a little stressful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.
1.1K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.