Petco Employee Reviews

Found 3,575 reviews matching the search See all 3,683 reviews
Your mileage may vary
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 18, 2018
I worked for Petco for less than a year, because I just couldn't do it anymore. I worked for a manager who openly hated women, wouldn't schedule anyone to work 40 hours a week, (because then he wouldn't get a bonus) wouldn't train anyone, and if you tried following Petco policy of how to care for the animals, he'd throw a fit because then you're just wasting time. One of the employees complained to HR about inappropriate things that the boss was saying, but HR didn't care. They kept promising to "look into it" but no one ever came to the store, or interviewed the employees like they said they would. We had a bad ice storm, and Corporate would only let us close an hour early, even though the National Weather Service was saying for people to not be on the roads and that conditions were going to be bad, corporate didn't care about our safety. I was a department manager and I hardly ever got more than 32 hours in a week. I had to take a 2nd job just to pay the bills. I was suppose to get a raise after 6 months, but with no training, my boss decided I wasn't doing my job well enough to warrant that, and again, corporate didn't care. How can I do my job well, if I was never trained to do my job in the first place? Best part of the job was the people I worked with. I'm still friends with most of the people I met there, though almost none of us work for that company anymore.
Pros
Discounts, also unlimited access to all kinds of adorable dogs, cats and small animals
Cons
You get pushed to sell dog training classes, and get almost no training on how to do anything.
Do not try for the grooming position
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Round Lake, ILNovember 18, 2018
Very stressful, not organized at all. Management did not follow any protocols. This store I would never tell anyone to apply for this store. The only good part was the employees on floor when I helped stock they all loved me and made me feel like a person
Pros
Employees on floor are very kind
Cons
Working in the salon makes you feel lesser of a person
Not bad
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 16, 2018
If you love animals then this place would be a good fit despite some customers that give attitudes everybody is nice and very very friendly.
Flexible schedule
Pros
Handle animals
Cons
Shortage on hours
Dead end run by burnouts
Guest Experience Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJNovember 15, 2018
There is no opportunity for advancement, nor is there any recognition of performance. The management spends as little time as possible in the store, and while there they are either complaining to employees or playing pokemon go.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Poor compensation and unreliable management
great place to work
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Winder, GANovember 15, 2018
receiving forklift operator scanned in merchandise received and put it in the area which it belong to , i have moved from winder and need employment close to home
Fun company with a relaxed atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GANovember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. Daily care of animals was a great learning experience. Typical day at work consisted of unloading inventory to store shelves and ensuring store was clean and had a friendly environment for customers and a safe place for their pets.
Pros
Animal Care
Cons
Short breaks
Not a friendly work place for people that care about animals
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Davis, CANovember 14, 2018
If you care about animals, this is not the place for you. This company only cares about numbers and sales. There is no job security and every new idea they roll out is only to save the company money, not benefit the animals or employees.
worst retail job you can have
Companion animal leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 14, 2018
Working at petco felt like you were always under staff. there was always so much work to do and little time to complete it considering it's a customer service based job. When work couldn't get done management never wanted to hear why you couldn't exactly complete the task. you'll just be written up. when you get hired there's computer training you're suppose to complete by the first two weeks. they're completely disregard that training and just throw you on the floor to fend for yourself.
Pros
great co works, team environment
Cons
hostile pressures from management
Poor management, value profits over animal/employeewelfare
PET STYLIST AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
As a dog groomer you were given unrealistic sales goals, even when the goals were met you were told to "do better." They also destroyed the 50% commission per transaction pay scale by requiring 40 hours + ridiculous sales numbers to be met before being given BELOW 50% commission which is why I left. My amount of hours worked to what I was getting paid dropped dramatically.

You were constantly having to fight for working equipment. But it was never "within budget." We had to wait over a month for a new vacuum when our shop vac broke down, and one of the locations I worked at barely had running water to wash our dogs with. We had to fill buckets because they would not address plumbing issues. Don't work here.
benefits
Cons
everything else
productive
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2018
working at petco is fun i love greeting all the customers and pets that come in, its a relaxing job people are really friendly as are my coworkers i enjoy it
Cons
not enough hours to work
friendly environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 13, 2018
Petco was a very fun place to work. They have exceptional policies pertaining to the treatment and care of their animals as well as their employees. I highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a friendly retail environment.
Great Place to grow your career
Regional Loss Prevention Investigations Leader (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2018
This is a great place to work, you can bring your dog to your cubicle. Overall everyone is pretty nice and the the work is very straightforward and repetitive.
Pros
Discounts at Petco
Fine job for younger people
Merchandizing Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Swampscott, MANovember 12, 2018
If a person is limited in skills, this is an excellent place to work. Retail is a bummer no matter how many ways you slice it, but it was a decent place to work because of the animals.
I loved this job this was my favorite job and if i could have a another shot at going back i would for sure
Mower (Former Employee) –  Saint Elmo, ILNovember 12, 2018
Petco was amazing I loved it because I used to work with my dad out there when I was 6 or 7 and i loved it ever since i have always wanted to work in the oilfield and i think it is a good experience for a kid. But it is very dangerous
Pros
They brought lunch in sometimes
Cons
You work through your lunch and dont get one but as long as we got the work done it was fine
Fun
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 12, 2018
It was a fun place to work at, but management was terrible. It was like I was in high school all over again with all the drama they would create amongst themselves
Everyone does their job and that's that
Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 11, 2018
Petco is not a place too many people have a desire to be working at. That being said everyone shows up and does their job. I have seen a lot of improvement in management and it excites me. The company has done a good job considering the fact that we are understaffed.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
unpaid short lunches
Worst place to work !
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 10, 2018
Been to 6 different Petco locations , every manager is awful. They don’t care what works for you or what would make your life easier. It’s either do it their way or your screwed. They change your schedule whenever they want so always be on the look out. Tend to jip your paycheck more often then not and gives you the hardest time when getting it fixed.
Pros
Uhm?
great fun work environment
Floor Sales Assoc (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CANovember 9, 2018
The majority of the customers that go in are great. Everyone that works there is great. The visiting pets are always a plus and always bring joy to the work area.
Very hands on
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 9, 2018
The job is pretty hands on between helping customers find what they need and taking care of the animals within the store. There is always going to be new challenges that arise either from the store or customer needs.
Its okay
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GANovember 9, 2018
The place is a good place to work at but if u have any thing bad happen to ya while ur working there there not understanding at all I was a picker and it was a fast paced environment so be ready for it
Pros
Good PAY
Cons
There dont value there employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight