Petco Employee Reviews

Cute Animals
Nice Restrooms
Cute toys for animals
Nice customers
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Long days
Fun but trying at times
Dog Trainer and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
This was my first time working for a large corporation even though I've worked in the service industry for years so I did find some of the stress from the managers about "numbers" frustrating. I don't want to push something on a customer just because we need to make a sale- but that's me and I understand it's business. Other than that my coworkers were kind and my dog training mentor was fabulous and truly took me under her wing.
Loved the job
Companion Animal Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 16, 2017
Loved the job and management. I left due to personal reasons. Besides favoritism and unfair promotions, and not getting promised hours I have no complaints
Not bad.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 16, 2017
The company is very good to work for, pay is decent, the only complaint was my store manager was a jerk, but that wasn't because of the company in any way!
fun environment with lots of animals
Guest Advisor Leader (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CANovember 15, 2017
Many animals to work with, learned a lot about caring for pets. The management was okay, depending on the location. The culture could be pretty fun depending on the management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working around animals.
pets come first
Groomer, Bather, Salon Manager, Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PANovember 15, 2017
a fun and rewarding work environment
seeing peoples face light up after the pet was groomed was amazing
it was hard work but completely worth they will also help learn how to groom by going thru the program
the culture of the store is determined by the team
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 15, 2017
This can be a great place to work, but sadly the animal care does not always come first. Customers tend to be rude and that makes it a stressful work environment. There are never enough team members on staff
Nice and Relaxed
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 14, 2017
Working as a cashier was easy and relaxed. Never getting much of a rush and working on the floor, customers were never angered easily and always understanding
Terrible workplace
Merchandise Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NJNovember 14, 2017
I worked at a Petco for 6 years and they promise promotions to partners then hire from outside the company. They are uncooperative with days needed off. The managers are under-trained and childish.
Very slow work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CANovember 14, 2017
I don’t recommend this workplace for a friend. The atmosphere of the workplace was very slow. The manager was hardly there. I was never directed to work on specific duties.

Want to know more about Petco?

Ask a question
Petco: A Company That Cares
Dog Trainer, Guest Advisor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lemon Grove, CANovember 14, 2017
Within 3 months, my manager moved me up in store and i became a DT. My location closed and they moved everyone to different stores. They care about animals and their employees. Coming from an Unleashed store, we had extended knowledge about nutrition. As long as you love what you do, and work your butt off, you can move up quickly. Just make sure your manager knows your interested. I highly recommend this company. I absolutely love what I do.
Pros
Discounts, Pto, knowledge, amazing experience, Aninals everywhere
Cons
Manual Labor, retail
Summer job, but that's it.
Companion Animal Leader (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 11, 2017
All the same problems as retail, but add trying to take care of animals and answer questions from people who know nothing about the animals they want to purchase. Pay is not competitive, I don't make a dollar over minimum wage after 5 years of being management.
Just dont
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 11, 2017
Only way to advance with this company is if you are a favored "drinking buddy" with the rest of the management team. They do not base promotions on skill, education, or seniority.
a very stressful work enviormnett, with very poor management
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 10, 2017
i would not recommend anyone to work here due to the overly stressful work enviorment, poor management, and no overtime with disciplinary action taken if you get over time. Your written up for any little thing. The workplace is very tedious to work in and you will become very emotionally unstable.
Pros
decent pay
Great Job Inviroment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CA 91411November 9, 2017
Great paste, great team work, good customer service. Always having something to do in every different department. Enjoy learning about the different product they have. Enjoy seeing all different things they have to offer.
Wasn't to bad of a job
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYNovember 9, 2017
You had your slow days and fast days. People were willing to work with you and be understanding. Teach you how to do things and motivate you. But in all jobs there were some toxic people. As well as people who wouldn't work with what you had going for you.
Pros
Some of the staff and 15 minute breaks or 30 minutes lunches. Management working with you.
Cons
People not elaborating, Not keeping opinions out of facts, People who weren't loyal to the company, Hours were horrible
Stay away
Guest Experience Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2017
You'd think it would be nice to work with animals. This is not the case at Petco. You rarely help with animals and is mostly stocking and promoting services.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place sucks
Fun place to work with pets and supplies
Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 9, 2017
I quickly moved up to an Aquatics Specialist because I had fish tanks at home and I know how to care for them properly. Training program was great. Management, staff, and upper management were very sweet and awesome to work with. I had fun taking care of the pets that we had. My typical day way inventory on the fish, cleaning the tanks, stocking store supplies, getting fish for customers and telling them what each breed of fish was like. I learned a lot about salt water tanks and that certain fish you had to handle a certain way. I think the hardest part was when I first got the position in aquatics and the tanks had a lot of black algae I had to get rid of. Sometimes I had to work very late at night, just to get that section up and running like it was supposed to.
Pros
Training
Cons
Stocking
great place
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJNovember 8, 2017
Great job in place to work if it wasn't for personal reasons I would still be here working for the company management was great in helpful with problems that I needed answers to.. co workers were just as great as management and helpful with problems my hardest part of my job was getting pass my fair of heights operating the cherry picker
petco
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 8, 2017
due to mismanaged labor hours very few were granted and had perfect attendance and job skill! Obtained numerous repeat customers that would recognize me when not at the store.Learned the care of a variety of domestic pets and was certified pet nutritionist.
Pros
customers were nice, co workers were helpful
Cons
not enough hours or recognition/ compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.