Petco Employee Reviews

Found 3,698 reviews matching the search See all 3,811 reviews
Everyone besides general manager was awesome. Was a high traffic store.
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJanuary 22, 2019
In my time at Petco I learned a lot about animals and customer service. The business aspect was sometimes before the actual care of animals. Really depends on your managers.
Pros
Free 10 minute break
Cons
Management heavy
Work Review
Groomer (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 21, 2019
This is an awesome place to learn the ropes of grooming and they send you to school as long as you stay with them for a certain period of time, which I think was well worth it but when it comes to excelling, there is no doing so. I do not think groomers are paid fairly and work rules make the task of grooming a dog very impossible. The management at my store was very horrible, we were always going through managers and assistant managers, so there was no consistency what so ever. The hours are also very bad you have to work exactly 40 hours a week otherwise the manager gets upset because they have to pay you more. For being such a big corporation it was very unprofessional.
Pros
You get to work with dogs!
Cons
long hours, horrible management, low pay, silly rules
Some coworkers are ok
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 21, 2019
I do not recommend anyone to work at these places unprofessional they don’t know how to treat their employees they talk about each other behind their back’s not right
Anywhere between Heaven and Heck depending on management
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 18, 2019
When I joined, I loved everything so much the manager had to order me to leave. It was like a family. Our productivity and ratings were off the charts. The days flew by filled with joyfully working beside my coworkers I loved dearly. However, once our manager was caught and fired for embezzlement and unlawfully changing our time punches, we were left to struggle for months before a malicious and incompetent leader was put in place.

If the former manager had not committed such egregious crimes, I do believe the store I work at would be paradise for pet lovers such as myself. As it stands though, the new management has fired or chased off almost everyone of merit. Threats to fire or otherwise punish replace support and encouragement. It's rare to see the manager there for her full shift. Or the assistant manager for that matter. They fight over ownership of the store and have no concern for their employees or the safety of the store. They will back stab and bribe to get their way, including threatening and bribing us not to call HR on them.

Speaking of HR, it's a separate company that collects complaints and sends them to corporate once there are enough filings about the same thing. Your complaints will not be heard. Even illegal goings on will be ignored including expected off clock work and workplace harassment and discrimination.

If you know the management and you can stand them, it can be a good place. However the chances of that seems slim as the past 8 managers seem to have had huge issues according to staff who have been there longer than I.
Pros
cute dogs, can be nice with the right staff, discounts on pet products and services, did I mention cute dogs?, grooming training and training training, no background check, really good auto inssurance if you have a history, good health inssurance
Cons
unpaid lunches, little job security on floor, management tends to be poor, corporate doen't care about employees, poor pay, don't approve time off, shame you for using sick time
fun working with animals
Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 17, 2019
I was able to get promoted due to my experience. They expect you to make ends meet so i was able to provide a decent sales report and manage my employees effectively.
good with the right managment
Companion Animal Leader (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 17, 2019
when you have good upper management it is a great place to work. But when you have upper management that pushes hard it makes things rough like any other job. Despite beating nearly all metrics given to us over the last year or so they cut our labor hours down while increasing our work loads, all while expecting perfection. I like the company as a whole but over the last few months the district manager has been pushing to get most of the leadership fired it feels like. When you try to explain the situation we lately get a "i don't want excuses, just do it" sort of response.
Pros
great time off plans and hiring from with in company when possible.
Cons
drastically increased expectation yet not giving the time, tools, or man power to get it done.
Management was a nightmare
Part Time Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Chester, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Management was terrible and as inconsistent as the hours given. Store leadership was a joke. Everyone, including management, would disappear into the stock room and leave anyone at register to try to take care of an entire store.
very good client
senior AWS/DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2019
the good client learned a lot in AWS andIAC
very good work culture, people are very friendly in the workplace
management is typical................................
good
Cons
salary issues
Unfair to Employees
Grooming Salon Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 15, 2019
My experience working for Petco as a groomer was the worst employment experience I've ever had. Management was lax and unfair, employees were not treated with respect or given opportunities to advance. They were actually barred from advancing when they should have been able to. Management also passed their duties off to employees who were not qualified to perform them. I was also not properly trained in grooming as I was promised to be.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
No benefits, no job security
Would never recommend and will hopefully never go back.
Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 15, 2019
Great part time job if you love animals. Otherwise i wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. They treat their employees awful and have no compassion for the animals besides minimal employees who are overworked and underpaid for what they do day to day. Higher management does whatever they want with no consequences and applies policies to only certain employees. Room for advancement sure but you’ll wait for it or it will never come or the pay increase is garbage.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Pat
Horrible Environment to work in
Space Management Planner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2019
The managers and everyone there are there to cut you down and to not promote you or move you in a good direction. If you are ready to work long hours and work with people who will throw you under the bus I recommend...you just have to be ready.
Fun place to work but room for improvement
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJanuary 14, 2019
Great environment with easy going folk fun place to work unfortunately doesn't pay well even in high position and all stores seem to be understaffed and underschedule
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Very fun place to work!
Certified Positive Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJanuary 13, 2019
Every day tasks might include:
-Feed and water all reptiles, small animals and birds.
-Clean enclosures.
-Replace bedding.
-Sweep and clean floor.
-Clean windows.
-Help customers find the best products and supplies.
-Use the registers to check customers out.
-Etc.
Pros
You learn something new every day, get to see all kinds of animals and reptiles, and get to assist customers have to very best relationship with their pets.
Cons
Always having several things that you need to do, and if customers need assistance then you aren't able to get anything done.
Fun place to work, but beware of management styles.
Guest Advisor/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 13, 2019
I've been working with Petco for 3 years now. I've seen and experienced working at many different Petco locations in the DMV area, from Standard Petco stores with live animals, Vetco and prefessional grooming to their smaller boutique Unleashed by Petco stores with little to no animals, monthly Vetco clinics and self-serve washing stations. Each location has their specific pros and cons but I will sum it up and generalize. At the Full-on Petco locations, the animals were the high light of my experience. I enjoyed learning about and interacting with them (But that was a rare occasion for me). As a full time Guest Advisor LOD/ Key holder my tasks were not limited to my job description. In most Petco locations, you should expect to work in multiple different departments, doing anything and everything and you'll be expected to know a fair amount about every single service, department, and product that Petco offers. You'll even have to become familiar with local pet services outside of Petco. Don't worry, Petco provides extensive training per your department. I always joke around and say that they practically send us to pet nutrition/care college. Also, it is never frowned upon to step away and google search information you don't know for a customer. Petco is all about creating lasting impressions and really going out of our way to help our customer base. Larger Petco locations are faced paced working environments. They tend to stress animal care (Most stores don't do the best job caring for them, due to improper training), services such as grooming and dog training and keeping the  more... shelves stocked. Due to the high volume of the store, and the fact that there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done, the focus is not customer service or product knowledge oriented. I enjoyed the fast paced locations because it made the day pass by a lot faster and kept my experience interesting and brand new. At Unleashed stores, it is the opposite working experience. It is a very laid back working environment that is geared toward exceptional customer service, services and product knowledge. The Unleashed stores are smaller so therefore less stocking needs to be done and most stores do not have live animals other than the occasional betta fish or parakeets. Unleashed locations heavily focus on promoting services such as Petco Positive Reinforcement Dog training, Vetco mobile vet clinics, and Self-Wash dog bathing stations. If you like relaxed and routine work, Unleashed is the place for you. For me, it proved to be boring and it makes my time drag by. As far as promotions and raises with Petco, the company is exceptional about helping deserving people move up, transfer, and change fields. You get recognized for hard work and some participating stores allow a free lunch date between the store leader and the selected employee of the month. If you are dealing with the right district leader and store leader, they are pretty personable and motivated to help you within the company. Whatever you do, don't let a negative manager dictate your day or working experience, don't be afraid to reach out to HR, and don't let it define your experience with Petco. You will come across lazy and mean store leaders, the majority of them will spend most of their time lazing about in the office. As long as you maintain a healthy perspective, you'll be fine and enjoy your time working with the company.  less
Pros
Advancement opportunities, annual performance reviews/raise
Cons
Short Breaks, lazy store leaders, fluctuating industry
Great way to work with animals, but has its drawbacks
Merchandise Operations Leader (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 13, 2019
Petco is an amazing company if you're looking to enter the animal husbandry world and get some on-the-job training about many different types of pets. The benefits are pretty good for a retail company as well. Biggest drawbacks are that it's very difficult to have a family with never having set schedules or hours, and sometimes corporate has some unrealistic expectations. The new CEO seems to be taking the company in a positive direction, though.
Pros
Discounts, decent benefits, lots of advancement opportunities
Cons
Varied hours, unrealistic goals, constant turnover of management
stressful and very demanding. you are always under pressure, if your doing good there telling you that's not good enough and do it better.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kemah, TXJanuary 12, 2019
This company is very demanding and overwhelming at times, They expect way too much from there employees especially management. if you don't like being pressured constantly then this isn't the job for you.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
constant pressure and stress
They don’t have support for employees
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2019
This company has no support for their employees whenever there is an issue management never takes the time to resolve the issues they just try to sweep everything under the rug.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Schedule
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 11, 2019
You learn many new things about dogs, cats, small animals, aquatics, and reptiles. I've almost worked there for a full year now and I've learned so much about all these different types of animals.
high stress work environment but okay pay i loved working with pets and their owners
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2019
its a high stress work environment the staff aren't very welcoming however i loved grooming pets and educating pet parents the pay was good because i made hourly and commission i learned a lot about grooming,pet nutrition,and training while working here the best part of my job was turning out a groom on a pet that the owner was completely satisfied with i enjoyed connecting with pet owners and guiding them towards pet care solutions
Pros
decent pay, working hands on with pets and educating pet owners to help them to better care for their pets, 30 min break for lunch and two ten minute breaks when needed
Cons
management, no opportunity to progress
For the profit, not the pets
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2019
A typical day usually starts with a huddle that gives you quotas for membership signups and treat sales. you aren't allowed to have fun and be yourself while working there. Management tries to lead with an iron fist and doesn't provide positive reinforcement for your hard work. the best part of the job is the building the relationships with your regular customers and their pets.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K
31K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably