Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,046 reviews matching the search See all 4,187 reviews
Great job and Great Experiences but...
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMJune 14, 2019
I worked at 2 different Petcos during my 5.5 year stretch of working for them. If the store you're applying for does not do well in sales then they won't have payroll to staff employees to do daily things. You will be overworked and underpaid doing multiple things at once such as watching the register and deep cleaning or opening an animal area within its view (even across the store.) The animals, in short, are a hassle no matter what position you are. It is very difficult to open/feed/clean and deal with customers breathing down your neck. And most customers need a good amount of time to fully explain something to them like animal care or a product. It can take up to an hour to sell someone an animal. Forget about whatever you were working on before, especially if it's just you and an associate watching the register.
Now if the store does really well in sales (60k+ a week) then you'll find there are multiple employees throughout the day. That is a great bonus for having positions filled and the ship sailing smoothly. It is stressful with more customers but time goes by quickly.

They've made the pay better since I've been there (in which they really screwed me over so I'm very bitter) and now you get a pay raise after your first 3 months of like $0.50 or something. Dependent of where you're at too physically, of course. Honestly though the pay the want to give you isn't really that good for everything you have to learn. They teach you everything but you're still constantly learning and they aren't right about everything ether. Not to mention helping customers who are "experts"
  more... in the specific field that know more than you.

It's a good starting job. I wouldn't invest my career into it unless you plan on being a Store Leader and even then, choose your store carefully. The deciding factor SHOULD be this though: Don't take the job if Walmart will pay you better because it will be so much easier at Walmart without the animals. Simple as that.

They do have health benefits and a 401k for full time employees over 21 if you're needing that but from what I've heard it isn't that great.
Pros
Fun around animals, different experience. new learning experiences, good management helps a lot
Cons
Low pay, usually low-staffed, too many tasks, customers come before animals, easily overworked, you won't rise well in pay, groomers and dog trainers are more "valuable assets"
Stressful environment due to poor management
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 13, 2019
Coworkers okay but management is... bleh.
Hiring manager illegally manipulated time cards, was fired. Working an entire store with only five semi reliable employees with little encouragement or support from corporate. Supposed to have four full-time managers, only have one. Store is in shambles. Maybe eventually the store will be a good place to work but it isn't right now.
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 13, 2019
Assisted customers on products, sold items related to animal health and was a cashier. Petco worked around my football schedule and classes. Enjoyed my time there.
No leadership.
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 12, 2019
Very poor management. Management cant schedule or delegate job duties. Management blames and never takes responsibility. Always understaffed. The only reason to work at Petco is for the discount.
Pros
Animals
Enjoyed working here
Head Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waite Park, MNJune 11, 2019
I enjoyed working for this company. I was the head dog trainer. It was a very fast paced environment. It was very nice to be able to help customers find the best item or food for their pets.
Educating
Animal Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALJune 11, 2019
This had been an education and rewarding experience overall. If you do love animals I would recommend This job. The company is great but as with any job, the people are in a particular niche, so take that as you will.
Was fun to work at
Ship from store specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJune 10, 2019
It was a good working atmosphere but sometimes they were so unorganized , the over stock carts and places where they suppose to be was a bit sloppy and the way they worked was a bit unfair too
Pros
You can take up to 3 10 minute breaks
Cons
There working system was a bit unorganized
Terrible and Stressful enviroment
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2019
Management would prefer you to rush through as many grooms as possible so they make the extra buck regardless of quality of work. Managers are constantly pushing numbers and don’t care about employees whatsoever. District leaders seem to only care for “cute” associates-HIGHLY inappropriate with female employees. They make petco seem great but don’t be fooled, it’s a trap.
Pros
Customers dogs
Cons
management, underpaid, overworked, ignored by management
loved immediate management; hate the company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIJune 10, 2019
When Petco decided to close the Drs Foster and Smith facility, they offered no assistance for customer support to help the customers. We were left high and dry and expected to answer questions from customers that we had not been provided by corporate. We were left in the very precarious position of taking care of customers without any support from corporate.
Lazy Management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLJune 8, 2019
All that the managers would do was take smoke breaks and think about what they were going to have for lunch while they stayed in the air-conditioned front office. They would leave new employees on the floor by themselves and have a line going to the door because no one would come out and check on the new employees on register for the first time.
Cons
Good place to work at especially if you are good with animals
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2019
I loved being able to help people on the care of their animals, being able to work with some of the animals as well. Everyone here is good at teamwork and leadership there jobs are taken very seriously.
Fun to work around animals; grossly insufficient hours and toxic work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAJune 7, 2019
I enjoyed some parts of Petco. It's a joy to see so many animals every day at work. However, i found that i never got to do much besides run the cash register;no raises i'm aware of(after more than a year),and i lost my job because of an apparent vendetta the store manager had against me which led him to scapegoat me for customer complaints,none of which could be attributed to me.
Stressful and Filthy Environment, never enough employees present.
Petco Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJune 7, 2019
It is purely a retail job, little benefits, little pay, long hours, no breaks except lunch, unsanitary conditions, illness and infection is common amongst new employees, many damaged or totalled equipment will go unrepaired for long periods of time, if at all, that are required to get jobs done effectively. Working conditions can be hazardous but due to the policy if any injury happens it's likely the "employees negligence". Not sure how Petco is even in business. Managers typically neglect their position leaving the least paid employees to essentially run the entire store. It is usually 1 person. Upper management is overly demanding, verbally abusive, and unethical.
Very predictable routines and good manager to work with
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 7, 2019
Very predictable routines and good manager to work with with the exception that on some days we don't get items we need from shipping or we'll get too many of the items we don't need and results in overstock. Another complaint is the lack of hours given to the managers from corporate.
Eh
Gest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 7, 2019
They will try to squeeze you of everything they can by dragging you along. Managment is hit or miss. They give you good hours at first and then they trickle it down and refuse to give more hours saying they dont have any. Unless you have been working there for years (and I mean like 10 plus) your just cannon fodder. If you get put in a good store where they care about the animals and customers it's great. However management is most of the time garbage and they dont care about the people who work below them.
Pros
Animals and helping the public learn more
Cons
Everything else
Not a great environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJune 7, 2019
The company as a whole is like other retailers, demanding higher and higher results from an underpaid, highly transitory staff. Standards of cleanliness for the store were not kept up.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 7, 2019
Petco is a very upbeat company to work for, if you love animals. It’s not as big of a company as Petsmart but Petco cares about there employees & there customers
Pros
Animals
Cons
Lifting heavy items
Typical Retail
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 7, 2019
Most of the issues I had with this company was directly related to unprofessional direct supervisors. As far as companies go, it's a retail store, so you get what you get.
I loved working at Petco
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2019
I met a lot of nice people, I had benefits, had 250 plus friends/co-workers, a great job, made lots of money enough to pay my bills. Team building events.
Pros
Great Saary
Cons
Traffic
Good people work there, but they aren’t the best at their manager positions and it’s kind of a disaster.
Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 6, 2019
Friendly staff, slightly mismanaged. Constantly overstaffing and asking people to go home. Low ranking employees like to think they have authority over others.
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Mismanaged

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight