Petco

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Loved my team members

Petco was a great job. The pay was right for the work I was doing and the people were great. The only problem was the customers and hours. The days were long and it was very slow paced but that wasn’t a big issue.

Good workplace and cute animals

Working for Petco was really fun, I learned a lot on customer service, and on animal nutrition and care. I did a variety of roles during my time here. Management and the team were always willing to help and understanding. Sometimes the only downside is that either we were short staff, or not getting our breaks.

Pros

employee discount

Cons

sometimes no breaks, rude customers

Animals was the only good part

So working for petco was alright. I loved seeing different animals come in daily. On the other hand , they promise you one thing and do something completely else. I kept getting the run around when I was suppose to be moved to a different part of the company. Eventually left because after 3 months of constantly asking when are they going to move me , I got fed up.

Pros

Animals

Cons

Everything honestly

Bad management

What more to say than poor management. Came in happy to work and lead until being pushed out of the company by lack of empathy and encouragement. The associates that were under my leadership and sales associates were great. They were the only reason as to why I would have pleasant shifts. GM expects the most from people but refuses to acknowledge the workers. It is a shame that a joyful job turned into a spiteful workplace.

Pros

Working with dogs

Cons

Good place to start, but not to stay

I would like to preface that personality and culture of the workplace is going to vary wildly due to the different personalities of management and coworkers . Also, I had the unique experience that my Pet Stylist training started right when the pandemic was starting to affect the US, so I am going to avoid talking about it in the review. I do want to say that it did give me a solid foundation to start dog grooming. PetCo was my first job as a dog groomer, so I am not sure how much of the experience there will be similar to other grooming companies.The coworkers at my store were one of the best parts of the job. The groomers there were supportive and help me improve in so many different ways. We went through some changes in management, but the one who was there the longest when I was working did great at keeping communication open and keeping the store running.For the salon, PetCo provides your tools, but you can bring/buy your own. The customers vary so much, as do the dogs. Working on dogs while answering the phone and checking people in was pretty annoying and stressful at times, but it's part of the job. PetCo does have policies in place to minimize injuries and risks, but even following them, there are still going to be issues. Towards the end of me leaving, PetCo was pushing hard for us to sell and promote things, so much so that I sometimes felt more like a salesman than a groomer. One of the things they are pushing hard is their subscription service, Vital Care. In our store, it fell to the groomers to sell it, and we had to sell a certain amount each week or we get -

Pros

good coworkers (location specific), decent grooming training, company provides grooming tools, pushes inclusiveness and diversity

Cons

no work/life balance, pushes to sell products, low pay, high stress

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Extremely Poor Management

This is probably the worst run Petco in the area. Managers are unprofessional and unapproachable. Very high employee turnover rate. Animals were kept in poor conditions and not cared for.

Terrible Manager

As a CAL I'm a member of management but often am treated as a glorified sales person. Staff (including other managers) do not care about animal health and when issues are brought up, it's swept under the rug or ignored

Pros

discount

Cons

terrible customers

Turn and burn retail at it's best.

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Petco is basically non-existent. If you're in management you are expected to work open, mid and close and change your days arbitrarily even if you can't also change your daycare. It would physically hurt them to care less.Pay & benefits Raises are abysmal at every level even if you destroy your targets. Bonuses are difficult to achieve unless in a lower volume store but they're almost impossible in the last quarter of the year, big surprise there. Gotta pad the end of the year somehow.Insurance plans are a high cost and low coverage. Job security and advancementThere is no advancement at Petco. If a position becomes available beyond the store level they conceal it so you don't have the opportunity to apply, or refuse to interview you in favor of friends they wish to hire externally. ManagementExecutive team is a boys club with no regard for work life balance. They do a lot of staged feel good photo ops and dissertation length statements on inclusion and culture but it's just theater. The sentiments certainly aren't brought to life by the district or territory general managers.CultureNo advancement, terrible raises and overall stagnation once you reach general manager level. All positions above that are filled by the territory GM's friends and former colleagues. You will have to move to Podunk, USA if you want to move up, them good luck ever leaving because they won't want to fill an undesirable location again.OverallConstant restructuring and lack of advancement or compensation increases coupled with demeaning field leadership -

Pros

Great pet food discount.

Cons

No work life balance to take PTO or parental leave or anything else really

Not Terrible

Schedules weren’t really available beyond a few days in advance, which made it hard to make plans. On top of that, I was constantly called to come in on the few days I had off. Working around animals was always a plus. It’s fun taking care of the ones in-store and the ones visiting. Customers could be a nightmare but there’s regulars you come to know and respect.

Pros

Hanging around animals, pay was decent for starting out, not terribly complicated work

Cons

Short breaks, overworked, no benefits to speak of

Fun place to work but management is bleh

PROS: - flexible hours - getting to work w animals (obviously) - learning about animal care CONS: - not enough employees - it’s retail and people suck - management can be dismissive and unsupportive

Depending on your location it can be good or bad

The location you work at has a lot to do with how good or bad it is, I worked in multiple locations (some days I was asked to fill in on another store) and some stores were better or worse

Good company

They treat us well and they helped us when needed. We were always working as a team. The managers are great. The coworkers are awesome. Plus you get to see all sorts of pets.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Sometime exhausting

A typical retail job.

Typical retail. Wage & environment depend on direct management. Animal care training is subpar and needs serious updating to be able to care for small animals/reptiles & fish appropriately.

The horror of selling one animal for another animal's consumption

This was an extraordinary difficult job involving standing all day. There were not enough employees to cover the work to be done. Everyone was stressed. Corporate never made good on its promise to raise wages for being an essential worker during Covid. We were crowded into small spaces with no regard for our exposure or customer exposure to Covid. When Petco went public, instead of sharing the benefits of profits, employee welfare got worse. Petco products are too costly, they take advantage of their customers. Sale prices are not clearly marked and their rewards program is not administered fairly. Customers either don't know what's going on with it or the system is not administered fairly and the customer is screwed.

Pros

The local manager was ok

Cons

Nothing was ever very clear, to the detriment of employees, who were overworked and underpaid

Fun to work there

I had a terrible boss and he got fired shorty after i quit but. Beside that it was honestly enjoyable. Got to pet dog all day. All ways had lovely customers.

Pros

Pet dog all day

Cons

No good management

Good for a retail job!

Don’t misunderstand the job. It’s retail with animals. Comes with the lower than should be, pay and not amazing chances for advancement. However, all that said I loved my time with the company. Almost 4 years with several stores and managers. Not all great not all bad. But I was able to advance well and the upper management really cared. Some days I do even miss stocking dog food on the shelves. Gives you plenty of chances to learn a lot about animal and pet health. I love the healthy forward approach the company has been changing too. Definitely would work there again. As long as they pay enough.

Pros

Hours, unique tasks, people

Cons

Management, average pay

Hard to stay positive

The DM makes life hard for everyone, hard when you are all ways put down. When he leaves you can see it in everybody’s face. It never enough, love company.it’s hard to see good loving people hurt.

Pros

Good co workers

Cons

Bad management

Productive and fun place to work

In my many experiences at working at retail, it is never easy to go in and have the most wonderful day of the year, but thanks to the work environment and coworkers, it made it seem as if it was a family. Management was decent and I was promoted 4 times .. they work with you but you definitely have to show them why they should believe in you. Overall it was a great place to work.

High energy job

I enjoyed my time at petco.. the only downside to it is that you will have no life outside of work.. Mandatory overtime every day , 6 days a week, 10 hours a day..

Depends on your location

I have worked at wonderful stores in the company and I have worked at a terrible store within the company. It all greatly depends on who you work for. Management definitely plays favorites.

Fun to work

The work it self is fine. The management at most locations are great. Most locations are understaffed and have a hard time finding quality hires and keeping them. Upper management i.e. District management and higher are rude and don't acknowledge anyone other than store management and actively hamper any work others are doing at the moment to just get a word in and are very egotistical air heads. Constantly throw their weight around to make people know they are important and rarely help with customers or anything the store actually need help with.

Pros

Friendly coworkers with common interests and pets in the store all the time

Cons

Upper management is garbage and not enough people working at most locations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.2K

InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight