Petco

United States6,160 reviews

Found 6,160 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,442 reviews
animalpetdoggroomingstoregroomersgroomerreptile

Loved my team members

Petco was a great job. The pay was right for the work I was doing and the people were great. The only problem was the customers and hours. The days were long and it was very slow paced but that wasn’t a big issue.

high stress environment

Petco is a great place if you're just starting out in the Grooming industry. They do offer free training, but it's minimal and you'll still finish half-trained. They don't value quality, only pushing numbers. Very low base pay compared to other grooming places, and has a high workload. Potential to make a lot of money, but groomers often forced to rush through grooms and give clients subpar work in order to meet goals and make commission. Some of the management is lovely, but higher-ups are disconnected from the department that they've never worked in, so they have unrealistic expectations. Coworkers are often very pleasant, they can really make this company worth staying for. The animals are also fun to work with!

Petco insights

Based on 3,756 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Excellente workplace, fun environment and great team members to work with. Management is not at all a good fit.

Loved taking care of animals, serving customers, creating a bond between team members.The store manager was somewhat not the best person to work with, rude towards team members and customers.No good causes to charities (they throw away open products, due to handling) instead of donnating to rescues or shelters.

Had great management

I had great management and great co workers, pay was good and overall enjoyed the job. The only downside was I didn't agree with the company morally, which is why I left in the end.

Needless to say, the management here is horrible. No one ever has their head in strait. It’s like a burning dumpster fire. Management is so bad my location didn’t even have a general manager.

Honestly pretty good for retail

I worked at Petco for almost 3 years and loved my coworkers and management. it’s just the mean/abusive to animals customers that will kill you internally.

Petco

It's was ok at first cleaning cages and the store Then it became real dark I'd leave for a few days off and come back and animals would be missing dead or in bad shape.

Eh

Some stores are really great and some have pedos as general managers. District manager won’t help with gm even if you beg for it. Super political corporate driven company. Results-money- are the only things they care about when it comes to store function.

What is the best part of working at the company?Good people , passionate about pets and animals What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Leaders are not approachable. Do not promote employee growth , personal and professional. Super tight budgets. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great peers but leaders have chips. Fun environment but occasionally forced fun

What is the best part of working at the company?Against mothers & woman breastfeedingWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Only having 15 mins to pump for my twinWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Nice but they don’t care they want moneyWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Customers are nice it’s slow so a lot of time to clean & get set home

Awful awful

Management was AWFUL and talked bad about customers and the pay is so bad for the work you do. It's been a few years though so idk how much has changed but i really don't recommend this place.

Decent, yet stressful due to management

At the beginning of this job it was quite enjoyable being able to work in aquatics, the basic to-do could be mindless fun at points for me. But I had many times when I would be taken out of the work needed to be done to do other things which would set me off track, there was a period of time where management had me cover the front for around a week or more which caused me to fall behind on the basic needs for my section. Sometime throughout that, management had gotten someone else to cover the aquatics section. The temporary management at the time could be nice, and friendly at points but would switch around to be threatening to an extent, they had made me feel unsafe and suffocated consistently which was the main reasoning for why I had quit.

What is the best part of working at the company?Meeting animal lovers and their pets.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Physical exertion, constant standing, handling heavy pet habitats.Feeding snakes.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Most people are new since I left. I hope it's gotten better.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Lots of walking, animal care. Customer service.Stocking merchandise.

toxic

I had to go in with a fever and bronchitis so I didn’t get fired. There is also a lack of training that comes with their lack of structure. I’ve worked her for over two months now. My training was put on pause around week 2 and it still hasn’t resumed.

Don't work there

Terrible atmosphere. The girls are just there looking to find dates and dress nasty for attention instead of working.No way to grow as friends work together to get nothing done.Don't waste your time or effort.

Pros

Cons

Everything. No fair treatment

Poor management

I absolutely enjoyed working there until new store manager, animals were not a priority to them but were to me and would constantly be nagged about cleaning too much. Management constantly trash talked employees than laughed about it.

Not bad, not great

Not much room to do anything but register. Wasn’t really allowed to leave register to do anything else when it was slow. Hard to take care of the animals when there are people coming in. Wasn’t much staff at the time, may be better now

What is the best part of working at the company?The petsthat come in the storeWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?You can never get a day off. Don't dare to ever be sick!What is the work environment and culture like at the company?You're onyour ownWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Being stuck on the register when it's not in your job description

Bad

Not a good workplace, no care for animals, fish dying left and right, hamsters dead everyday, management doesnt help or do anything, lots of favoritism, run while you can

Decent as a first job

Everything was very methodical and reliable. I knew exactly what to expect, the co-workers and other visitors to the shop (Such as people promoting their animal adoption agency) were wonderful to have around, and I knew exactly where everything was and how it was supposed to be set up.Management was very hands-off, and I frequently went to my co-workers for help before I went to my manager. It was rather difficult to approach them. There wasn't a lot of understanding when actual problems that interfered with my ability to work cropped up, which made doing my job very difficult and rather distressing.

Pros

Friendly environment, getting to be around animals very frequently, helpful coworkers

Cons

Distant management, frequently shorthanded and couldn't leave area

Get to interact with animals both in store and customer owned

Ok for a cashier position, but would not recommend for a management role. No work life balance and no job security. Favoritism by upper management is disheartening.

Pros

Paid sick leave and time off

Cons

Zero job security, favoritism from upper management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Petco with

Petco reviews by popular job title

• Petco