Petco Employee Reviews

Found 3,421 reviews matching the search See all 3,526 reviews
grooming
pet stylist, (Former Employee) –  Easton, PASeptember 22, 2018
nice relaxing set schedule. management was helpful, hardest part was working with difficult dogs, I enjoyed the salon staff and the dog clients that would come in.
Pros
always having a lunch break
Cons
not getting 40 hours a week
Good part time job
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNSeptember 22, 2018
I enjoy working at Petco. The pay is decent for a part time job and the discounts are awesome. 20% off everything and 40% off Petco brand and select other brands. It’s relatively easy to ask off if you need to. It is retail though so sometimes it is a little difficult to get the schedule how you said you wanted it. Overall decent place to work.
Pros
Dogs, animals, discount
Cons
New employees are stuck on register, lack of time for training
physically demanding
Dog Trainer and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILSeptember 22, 2018
It is difficult to work for such a large company. I have a disability and standing for long periods of time left me in pain by the end of my shift. The corporate requirements for out store were almost impossible to meet, and caused a lot of stress on the employees.
No Summary
COMPANION ANIMAL LEADER (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39211September 21, 2018
Typically unless you are an opener or have a specific job title you're going to be on the register. You get to interact with the animals some. Mostly its about customer service and profit.
Right place for animal lover!
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
The days are long, but if you love animals and helping people provide a god life for them then this is the lace for you. You get to interact with all kinds of animal lovers just like you and help them take good care of their pet's. You never have enough time to do what needs to get done and you won't have enough help on the floor to help every guest. It's stressful and rewarding all at the same time.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
long hours, work every weekend and late nights
It was OK
Dog Groomer/ Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 19, 2018
It really depends where you work how the quality will be. Depending on who the manager is the store would be amazing, If they are not good at what they do then it will suck, just like any job.
Hard work but good people
Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 19, 2018
I like working here, most of the people are great but the people who suck are never fired, and the ones who work the hardest are not rewarded enough for their efforts
Pros
Animal handling, flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks, too many responsibilites and not enough staff
calm and easy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 19, 2018
Very relax.Productive and the good thing you get to see animals mostly the cute dogs that walk in. Management was great. I was able to learn a lot of different products for dogs and cats.
Productive but need to have a lot of patience
Groomers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2018
A typical day at work would include making appointments, grooming dogs then dealing with customers who would say that they're still wet (normally dogs with thick undercoat) then i would have to dry them again, and have on repeat with all large dogs. My manager constantly griped at me for scheduling dogs for her when they're not the breed she wants to style. It's just irritating.
My Job
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COSeptember 18, 2018
Learn different aspects of Petco a very friendly place and the people there were willing to work with you and help you if you had any questions Work with my hrs and gave me a break when I needed it
Supportive atmosphere
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Point, NYSeptember 18, 2018
I liked working at Petco. I just can't afford to work there. They offer a 401k, Pto and sick time, The environment is supportive, but there are a lot of policies and procedures that have to be followed and that can make the work day stressful.
Pros
supportive atmosphere
Cons
low wages
Petco was great!
Inventory Department Leader (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 18, 2018
Petco is a great company to work for! I wish I didn't have to leave but it is unfortunate when you devote yourself to a company for years and new hires make as much as you do. Still gonna buy all my dog needs from them!
Petco company great, store manager worthless
Branson Petco grooming Manager (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOSeptember 17, 2018
Loved my job at petco, corpret was pretty good to us, store manager never did anything. The employees ran the store. Loved my job at Burch Insurance, wonderful people, great work environment.
Productive and fun place to work
Companion Animal Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 17, 2018
Typical day - busy
Learned a lot
Good management
Good workplace culture
hardest part - seeing the animals go
caring for the animals
Nothing more to say.
Can I please move on an apply for the job I'm hear for.
Very stressful and chaotic schedule
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 17, 2018
frustrating, constantly changing schedule last minute, too many hours, very stressful and very pressured. I would not recommend to a friend because I have no time to do anything else with my life whether that be college, family or just personal time.
No longer an enjoyable place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CASeptember 17, 2018
Petco at one time was a good place to work. Since the company was bought out they have gone down hill. they say theycare about the animals...not true. Very few seem to really care. The pay is terrible and there is no employee loyality.
Productive and fun workplace
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 17, 2018
I loved working for Petco and would return given the chance against peer discouragement. I like learning fast and working one on one with clients and their pets to ensure the longevity and health of their pet through acquiring more knowledge of the pet industry daily.
Great place to work minus some managers
PetCoach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 15, 2018
The culture is great at Petco. It is like a giant second family. Upper management as some of the stores prove to be difficult though and are sometimes not worth working there.
Loved my job, wish I was given more of an opportunity
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Butler, PASeptember 15, 2018
Without going into too much detail, I was treated unfairly as an employee at Petco. I was not given the opportunity I desired to advance my skills and career, as though the management was discriminatory towards specific employees. I did everything I could to keep up with my job, do as the managers asked, and improve my work, but I was repeatedly given excuses as to why I had to be tied to the register. Nothing I did was enough, no matter how hard I tried.

What's more concerning, however, is the way the animals are treated at Petco. I often watched my fellow employees (and management on occasion) neglect or poorly handle many of the animals. The company simply does not care about the welfare and health of the pets they breed and sell.
Pros
Get to meet pets and their owners, learn about animals, and care for many different types of pets
Cons
unfair treatment of employees, poor animal care ethics
Fun
Companion Animal Specialist/Team Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLSeptember 15, 2018
*Fun company to work for
*Good Management
*learned

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight