Petco Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 38 reviews matching the search See all 4,320 reviews
Good company
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2019
The company is a pleasant one to work for. However, if you are a high volume store, you will encounter plenty of rude customers which is the main downfall. Manager schedules everyone 30-40 hours a week, even if they are part time. The animals are always a plus yet you must be comfortable handling all of them. I started off as a cashier and then moved to the floor where I had to balance being a cashier when needed, assisting customers, handling animals, stocking, and cleaning the store. The ability to multitask at a relaxed level is a must. The pay is really not great but once you complete online training they boost you 50 cents. 20% discount. Overall, a fun place to work if you are a people person and an animal lover.
They don’t have support for employees
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2019
This company has no support for their employees whenever there is an issue management never takes the time to resolve the issues they just try to sweep everything under the rug.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Schedule
pretty awesome job
Director of Pet Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
great place to work with decent pay and benefits. Get to work with animals and the company cares about the animals. Company drives for results and recent executive changes have been positive
Pros
animals
Cons
work life balance
not okay
Groomer/Bather (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2018
if you don not need to make real money or have major bills this is an okay place. But compared to other grooming salons, petco was not very reliable as face as income or as far as ensuing you had all the benefits needed and well in range of the salary they provide you with.
poor management
Guest advisor leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2018
they probably hire the most under qualified managers here. Don't get me wrong some of the coworkers I had were amazing, but our store leader was a joke.
Pros
dogs and customers
Cons
pay, breaks
Its a good job but not a good career
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
I have really enjoyed working with petco, however, the higher your position, the worse you have it. Raises are typically fifty cents and its iffy whether you'll get them or not even after you're told you'll receive them.
Great start to my grooming career
Grooming Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2018
Petco helped me find my love for grooming. I have always loved animals, especially dogs and I have always had dogs growing up, but never did I think I could become a dogs groomer. Once I started I fell in love and I have never looked back. I will always have Petco to thank for that.
Pros
healthcare 401k free training
Cons
Nice place to work. Really layer back
Merchandise Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2018
It’s the same thing everyday but a different experience. Always building one on one relationship with guest. The more you work the more family you build with your partners.
Great work environment, good management
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2017
Great work environment, manager always fair, great staff/ employees. Great learning experience, A lot of great working opportunities. Fun place to be,
Fun but trying at times
Dog Trainer and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
This was my first time working for a large corporation even though I've worked in the service industry for years so I did find some of the stress from the managers about "numbers" frustrating. I don't want to push something on a customer just because we need to make a sale- but that's me and I understand it's business. Other than that my coworkers were kind and my dog training mentor was fabulous and truly took me under her wing.
got to love animals
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
Great place to work. Gives you the challenges of running a retail store and the enjoyment of animal welfare. I have learned a lot about animals. Great work/life balance.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Competition, including on-line
Very fun, fast paced.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2017
The job was great. Very in depth training. Get to work with animals, so it's a good job for animal lovers. In grooming they expect you to book your own customers and call them to maintain relationships. Only downside was they had a manager with as little experience as I had and she was very unprofessional.
Productive and fun place to work with animals
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2017
This is by far the best job I have worked at so far. The environment is friendly and super cheerful. A typical day consists of assisting customers, stocking shelves and cleaning. I've learned to be a team player, time management and maturity.The hardest part would be product knowledge but you learn as you go.The most enjoyable part is leaving an imprint in a pet-parent's life.
Was great before payroll became tight
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2017
Worked there long ago before the market crashed in 2008. Used to provide amazing animal care and hired great team who were dedicated to animals. After the crash, understandably, most companies cut payroll to save costs. I left the company when I felt the need for payroll was crucial for the proper care for the large amount of pets in our care. Could have gotten better in the decade since I left.
Pros
Fun and interactive with pets and people who love animals
Cons
Normal business needs gets in the way of enjoying all the animals
Petco is Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2017
Petco is a fun place to work. You get indroduced to new animals and learn interesting facts about these animals. Your typical day would be customer service, cashier, and caring for animlas that are in the store.
Great Start For a First Job
Cashier & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2016
PetCo is a very great place to start out as a first job. You get all experence from being a cashier to learning the different food allergies a pet can have. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Most managers are ok depending on whom you have a shift with. The hardest part of the job was when our daily rush comes in and the store is filled with customers. Once the rush is over your job goes right back to being smooth.
Pros
Meet new people, Learn Many things
Cons
If all your care about it animals
Inventory & Pricing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2015
The company is a bean counting operation (I believe the CEO background is as an accountant) with as little investment as possible in the people who work there or at least for those in the stores. I lost the little amount of respect I had for the company when I saw a district manager force cutting hours for hourly employees (some on public assistance) in order that he could have a chance in winning a large screen TV (by cutting expenses he was able to move up the rankings) and as well as when there is no parental leave unless you are an executive- so for the most needy employees, they ignore but for those most able to take time off unpaid, they provide a generous allotment. As with most retail, pay is low and they keep it low even if you move up with promotions. In fact, I turned down promotions because the pay increase vs the hours expected to put in would mean I would take a pay cut. The only way you can survive here is if you really are crazy for animals and have no ambition in life to succeed or you are there just long enough to move on to better things. However, with very little effort or ability, you can move up quickly as more of a default void than anything else.
n/a
GROOMING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2014
it was boring and nobody did their job. the general manager walked around yelling at everybody but didnt do his own job.
pleasent
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  chicago, ilOctober 16, 2014
I enjoyed my time. My coworkers were great. I didn't have enough hours .
Productive and socialble establishment
Sales Associate/Cashier/Animal Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllSeptember 24, 2014
An average day starts off making sure all animals are taken care of. Meaning checking to see if they are equipped with food, water and change of bedding. Co-workers (sales associate and groomers) are easy to get along with. Management is ran smoothly. There's really nothing difficult about my job, but the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers, especially the children, with their new companions from dogs to hamsters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight