Petco Employee Reviews in San Diego, CA

Found 121 reviews matching the search See all 4,307 reviews
I loved working at Petco
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2019
I met a lot of nice people, I had benefits, had 250 plus friends/co-workers, a great job, made lots of money enough to pay my bills. Team building events.
Pros
Great Saary
Cons
Traffic
Fun and educational work place with animals
Partner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2019
Generally a great atmosphere where everyone wants to learn more to help animals find homes and help pet parents thrive with their pets. Work with animals, veterinarians, pet food representatives, dog trainers, and groomers.
My only 3 Pros from working at Petco
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 3, 2019
1. Employee disc. In store only, better than nothing

2. San Diego Padres Baseball. Suite life is the best life

3. Pets at work. Need I say more?
Pros
Padres Baseball Tickets, Pets Allowed at Work
Cons
Insurance isn't that great, employees are super stressed, there's ENTIRELY TOO MUCH work, to get finished when the entire, company is stretched so thin, I think there are roughly 700 employees at HQ
Worst place ever
Stylist dog groomer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 25, 2019
All they care is about money, they don’t care for pets or their employees time and needs. They want you to work more pay less and life balance is hard because you always have to work overtime to meet customers needs. Corporates sucks they don’t care about you they come in and act better than you instead of working with employees and asking what we need in order to do our jobs , so many people have quit also due to bad management. STAY AWAY!!! Employees have sued petco a few times
Pros
Love working with dogs
Cons
Stressful environment, always short staffed, hostile environments, bad management, not enough vacation or pto
The manager was horrible
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 5, 2019
They did not provide any type of training and I never got any hours. The manager would only hire and hang with her friends. She would sit on her but and do nothing. I felt like I was the only person working there at times.
Fun place to work
Pricing Profitability Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2019
The corporate office is one of the best you will ever get to work in! You can bring your animals to work and have fish tanks on your desk.Have a Dog? bring it to work with you. The only Con of Petco is the none competitive pay scales.
Fun to work with people who love anials
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2019
Good workplace culture and senior management. Cares about specific groups (Women, Generations). Has improved in transparency with the new CEO. I loved that I could bring my dog to work with me every day. There are 6 dog parks on campus.
Not good
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2019
Bad culture. Unhappy people. Not strategic. Competition at the senior levels. Not about the people. Dirty offices due to all the animals and no one cleans up.
Typical retail work environment at large corporate retailer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Management was always stressed and passed it onto the rest of us, work schedules were horribly inconsistent and we were often expected to close at 11 and be back to open at 7. Absolutely terrible place to work.
very good client
senior AWS/DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2019
the good client learned a lot in AWS andIAC
very good work culture, people are very friendly in the workplace
management is typical................................
good
Cons
salary issues
Horrible Environment to work in
Space Management Planner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2019
The managers and everyone there are there to cut you down and to not promote you or move you in a good direction. If you are ready to work long hours and work with people who will throw you under the bus I recommend...you just have to be ready.
high stress work environment but okay pay i loved working with pets and their owners
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2019
its a high stress work environment the staff aren't very welcoming however i loved grooming pets and educating pet parents the pay was good because i made hourly and commission i learned a lot about grooming,pet nutrition,and training while working here the best part of my job was turning out a groom on a pet that the owner was completely satisfied with i enjoyed connecting with pet owners and guiding them towards pet care solutions
Pros
decent pay, working hands on with pets and educating pet owners to help them to better care for their pets, 30 min break for lunch and two ten minute breaks when needed
Cons
management, no opportunity to progress
I worked concessions at Petco Park
lead Concession worker supervising from 12 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 2, 2018
This was a part time job working concessions at the San Diego Padres stadium- Petco Park. Very fast paced and high volume food sales. I managed a different booth each game handling end of game finances.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Not a real 40 hr a week job
Great
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2018
I only was there for a short amount of time so idk much about it, but in that time it was pretty good. You meet new people though even if you just volunteer for it.
I dreaded coming to work
Senior Graphic Designer/Art Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 19, 2018
This was a place where employees were not valued. No matter how great a job you did, there was only negative pointed out. At least once a week, someone in my department was reduced to tears. Our projects would drag on and on and on with endless revisions. Truly a thankless job. My happiest day there was the day I left.
great place
Bartender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2018
I worked for the baseball park not the pet store. The games were fun and the people whom I bartended for were great. I would tell anyone and everyone to try this at least once in their life.
Management can be difficult to deal with
Senior Aquatic Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 14, 2018
Management varies heavily by each store. Managers are chosen based on how long they have been with the company rather than if they are competent. Each store is hit or miss with management. You get a mix of employees who loving being there and who are just there because they have to be. The animal care guidelines need to be reviewed and updated. Corporate needs to better understand how the stores run, they act as if everything is a perfect simulation, when in reality when dealing with retail that doesn't happen. Especially when you add in live animals.
Day at work
Job assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2018
Responsibilities:
- serving customers
- preparing sandwiches
- slicing meat
- preparing nachos
- maintaining order in the room

Great people, great atmosphere.
Execllent
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 12, 2018
Amazing fun working environment, enjoy the daily operations and challenges ahead to go day in and day out to make a difference on making an impact with the company.
Such a fun place to eork
AP Specialist III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92121May 9, 2018
If they wouldn’t have moved their accounting offices to Texas, I would still be employed there. Fun relaxed place to be, everyone got along and helped each other
Pros
Padres tickets and parties, lunch and catered breakfast once a month. Your could bring your pats to work anytime
Cons
They moved to Texaa

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably