Petco Employee Reviews in San Diego, CA

Found 123 reviews matching the search See all 4,426 reviews
Poductive and fun workplace, great food
Athletes for Education (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 21, 2017
Working for this company was really great, there was awesome food and entertainment also team members. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the guests. Very positive environment.
Pros
Energetic and fun
Petco
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2017
Petco was a great stepping stone for me in my advancement as an animal trainer. I learned a great deal. The management is very informative and supportive. The morale of the staff is often negative. This may be specific to one store. The benefits are decent for full time employment.
Pros
Benefits for full time employment are nice
Cons
Immature work environment
Productive, Relaxed
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Working here has been a great opportunity and an honor. the guests are great. the food is great. its very relaxed. the entertainments fun and really cool.
Pros
Great People, Great Food
Cons
none at all
it was fun at times
Vendor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Alot of standing on ur feet and dealing With drunk people its just alot of selling food and alcohol during the baseball season and during the week and during the weekend
After hitting $2B in annual revenue it ceased being a fun place to work.
Pricing Systems Development Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 31, 2017
It's a high volume, deadline-driven environment so it can be exhilarating, however Constant reorgs tend to be intimidating.
Good Introduction
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working for petco was a great introduction to the animal world. Their management needs work; at the end of the day they only care about numbers, not the employees, customers, or the animals. I learned a great deal on how to deal with animals and their different needs, much through the employees and their care for the animals.
Pros
45 minute lunch breaks, 10-15 minute breaks during shifts. Benefits.
Cons
Management.
Productive and fun work place. (Seasonal)
VIP Food Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2017
Cool place to work for. Friendly staff, fun nights working, professional environment. I enjoyed the fact that they like to satisfy there customers by going out of there way to make them happy.
Pros
Free lunch, free ball game, friendly fun environment
I loved this job.
Front Desk Receptionist/Security/Phone Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 26, 2016
A typical day was filled with incoming call to associate in the building and I would insuring that all guests, to the building were to be announced or check-in. I also made appointments, while some executive assistant were out. I also assisted the operator with in coming call to the que of the customer services center.
Pros
I was able to bring my dog to work with me.
Cons
The commute to work and back.
Tension Filled Atmosphere, Fear of Annual Layoffs
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2016
Brick-and-mortar pet retail is declining and becoming more fragmented led by online competitors. Who is going to go into Petco for Iams when they can by designer organic dog food for the same price online? The employees feel the pressure to perform and work with their heads down. You can bring your pet to work at the office there, but seriously lacking in all other culture and comradery. High turnover rates.
petcooo
Suite Runner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2016
Meets Requirements:
•Does not require constant supervision.
•Error rate is acceptable, and all work is completed timely.
•Forms and required paperwork are completed on time with minimal errors.

Exceeds Requirements:
•Managers and co-workers have commented on high levels of accuracy and work productivity.
•Takes pride in work and strives to improve work performance.
•All memos, reports, forms and correspondence are completed on time with no errors.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun and Exciting job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2016
My day at petco park was always very exciting. I learned to supervise stands and make sure everything was running smoothly. My co workers were always excited to be working and we always enjoyed getting together before work to talk about how we would make it a great day and provide great customer service. The hardest part of my job was having some drunk customers because they would not understand when we would tell them that we could no longer serve them beer. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing regular customers come to our stand only due to our great customer service.
Pros
free lunch, great events
Cons
carrying heavy items, staying long hours sometimes until the a.m
Fun place to work
Ticket Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2016
Professional company with professional workers. Great management, great coworkers, easily the best job I've had. Parking can be tough working in downtown.
Where you work if you love pets!
Wellness Market Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 20, 2016
Petco is a great place to work if you love pets. Most of the people that work for the company are passionate about animals. I have worked in the stores and at the corporate offices.
The retail stores, I feel that most people working are extremely intelligent about the products and services and pride themselves in that knowledge.
The corporate offices have a lot of departments that although do a good job, they can take time to get projects done. You do get to bring your pets to work and although projects can take some time, you have pets to play with, even though there really isn't down time.
The thing about Petco that has always bugged me is the job titles. The titles never match up to the real world position names, some can be a bit cryptic and as soon as you know what the job does, it changes.
Pros
Bring pets to work (Corporate), Passionate, fun co-workers
Cons
Cryptic job titles
Great atmosphere
Left Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2016
I dont get to see the games often in my position but the work environment is great. People are great. Management is iffy at times but overall I believe it's a great place.
Bring your pets to work
MERCHANDISE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2016
I spent a long time at petco and learned a great deal. The pet industry is filled with wonderful passionate pet parents and I am better for that experience.
Petco is a good place to work if you can maneuver the corporate world and while its a great place to learn retail and the pet industry it can burn you out after a while.
Pros
You can bring your pet to work, they do pay well and do try to make the atmosphere a fun one
Cons
Upper Management is not always aligned
Part Time/seasonal position
Usage of a Pressure Washer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2016
I learned how to use a pressure washer, worked with no supervision. I didn't find anything hard about this job. I enjoyed all of the physical work that was involved.
Petco Park!
STAND ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2016
fun place to work at, great crowd to serve to, great diversity of workers to work with and make work that much more enjoyable
Good experience with solid company
Inventory Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Standard office hours include regular daily and weekly activities.
Learned about office skills including computer and cross department synergy.
Experienced helpful managers.
Hard working cooperative coworkers.
Continued growth and development in competitive market challenging.
Great satisfaction in job well done reflected in thanks and congratulations from peers and management. Contributing significantly to company success.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment
Cons
Medicre benefits
Fast Paced and Friendly
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 25, 2015
A typical day at work is stocking and prepping to begin with. During rush hour we have a very fast paced team, we work together, we have runners for each cashier, we have enough food preps and cooks to keep the food stocked up. The managers are kind and very directive in detail, they will show you themselves how to complete an assignment and assign an overseer for your aid.
Pros
Free lunches
Relaxing fun workplace
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2015
Really enjoyed working here and wished they had better opportunities for advancement. Everyone was great to be around and always pushed each other to give their best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight