Petco Employee Reviews for Dog Trainer

Ratings breakdown
Found 160 reviews matching the search See all 3,143 reviews
Wish there was room to move up.
Dog trainer (Current Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYJuly 12, 2018
Wish there was better pay for what I do. I'm a full-time dog trainer and I get paid 10.90$ an hour; I only get 20$ a dog while Petco gets 100$ per dog
Entertaining, Fast paced, with a lot of cool animals
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJune 29, 2018
When I was a dog trainer before class I would sanitize the entire room, set up barriers and chairs, collect all the equipment and set up/lay it out. Attend to clients paperwork, check to make sure vaccinations are up to date. Hardest part of the job was being denied help from a manager/co workers when I needed necessary assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to watch the dogs/dog owners succeed and become a great well trained team!
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
very poor management, Not helpful nor respectful management.
can be fun
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Indio, CAJune 27, 2018
it can be a fun place to work. during summer hours get cut if you aren't full time which can be hard with bills to pay. Besides that you meet some good people
Love the job, just don't get paid enough
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJune 23, 2018
I get to do the things I love there (learn, teach, take care of animals, and get paid to lift stuff). I now have multiple pets that I have a lot of knowledge about and can properly take care of. The store leader is amazing. She has really pulled the store back into line after it was not doing well.

I think the hardest part of the job is feeling like you don't get paid enough for some of the stuff you have to go through. There are just some people who treat you as a servant and not as a customer service worker.

The best part of the job is being able to help people make the best decisions for their pets so they can have long, happy lives.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Pay isn't very good, no real advancement unless someone quits
ok place
Sr. Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 30, 2018
I was an ok place to work especially if you enjoy animals and helping people. The hours can be a little long and it often was stressful to get dog classes sold.
was great when i started
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXMay 29, 2018
Petco was a great company when I started three years ago! but it is no longer the case. they care more about the money then they do their customers or employees.
Pros
fellow employees, discounts
Cons
mangement
Obedience Dog Trainer
Dog Obedience trainer (Former Employee) –  Montrose, CO 81401May 28, 2018
Loved working with the dogs! People are another issue especially when they pay the money to train the dog but don't follow through with the homework.

I learned animals are smarter than you think they are.

Management was mostly aloof.

I worked on my own with classes mostly so didn't have lots of time to interact with employees...but when I did we had fun.

Hardest part of the job was seeing the wrong owner of a good dog.

Most enjoyable was interaction with the animals....that was the best and a passion of mine.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
Clients not following up on assignments
A pit that is, at first, pleasant but is ultimately a pit.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2018
Far more retail than people would believe, but a treasure trove of knowledge for those who look. It's hectic and people don't teach you what you need to know. You sort of figure it out and are smarter for it. You feel accomplished looking at the happy, satisfied animals. You hate the people that own them.
Pros
Easy access to Pet Service training
Cons
Unrealistic Corporate demands
Fast-paced yet also fun and relaxed. Great people who just are still learning how to work as a team.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMay 21, 2018
Overall Petco was a fun, interactive place to work with great co-workers; however, we were not always good at working as a team and kindly guiding each other. Sometimes the "managers" would become bossy and micromanage. I didn't always care for the Store Leader but everyone else loved him, I loved the assistant manager known as the GEL and hope she stays there a long time. I'll miss this place for the fun I had and the students I taught but I hope I can find somewhere that will appreciate people like me who try to improve the program. I personally do not recommend the Dog Trainer program but sales team member is a much better position.
Pros
as a sales team member much independence
Cons
30 min lunch, too many "managers"
Productive store, poor management
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAMay 4, 2018
I go into work dreading not what I do but the people I work with ( mostly management ) knowing we are under staffed and disappearing for hours on end when I’m theee only one on the floor, being cashier, helping customers out and also selling dog training classes, I’ve been screamed and yelled at for bluntly not knowing something or “saying the wrong thing” when I’m asking for back up to the front and I refuse to work in a work environment where I am not appreciated and are miserable when I’m there 40+ a week ( not to mention I was suppose to be given mileage for driving to the sac store twice a week for 6 weeks, asked everyday finally got it three months after) HR has been contacted by many employees
Pros
The animlas
Cons
Not everyone has the best work ethic
Hated it
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99208April 6, 2018
Terrible management, terrible hours, terrible people. Just all around terrible. Would never go back even if there wasn't another job in the entire world.
dog training fun
DOG TRAINER/MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 6, 2018
had to take second job because of low pay.Spent 6 months getting hours straight kept making errors in hours i could work.would have to do freight would not have enough employees.
benefits
Petco
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 5, 2018
Petco is a good company, my manager at store 2416 was second to none. Our store team knew what we were doing and helped a lot of people provide good care to their animal companions whether furred, feathered or scaly. This cannot be said of all petco stores, for many suffer from undermotivated staff who have no idea what the heck they are doing as far as animal care and should barely be able to take care of a plant let alone a bearded dragon. More effort is needed to educate their staff.
poor at best
Aquatics Specialist & Dog Trainer& Partner (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXMarch 29, 2018
this is a terrible place to work. I do not recommend Petco to anyone! they do not care for the animals correctly at most locations. they are constantly understaffed and I feel it is on purpose.
lots of work and crazy scheduling
Customer Advisor,Sales Associate, Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 25, 2018
A lot on my feet, demanding, lots of work but not enough pay. Understaffed yet hours get cut. Gone through a lot of managers some wonderful, others jerks. Learned a lot about people, pets, pet care and pet nutrition. A lesson in patience. Most enjoyable people and pets, hardest the hours that one sometimes has to work, open availability and no set schedules.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours, scheduling, overworked or not worked and a bit underpayed and many times underappreciated.
Animals should come first
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, CTMarch 17, 2018
If they focused on the animals instead of the customer as the primary focus of care then the store would be a much better place to work. Its all about making the human happy at the cost of the main reason everyone goes into the store,
Pros
The animals. Co workers.
Cons
Short staffed. The management.
It’s okay
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXMarch 4, 2018
All I can say is it’s an okay job. Nothing amazing about it, the animals are great, the costumers are great. You just got to find the right people or it sucks.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
People
fun and educational
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Franklin Square, NYFebruary 26, 2018
I was able to learn alot about animals, especially about dogs. not only that i learned how to manage my own schedule and also promote myself to potential clients.
good experience
Dog Trainer / Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Exactly what you would expect working in a pet store to be like. Taking 45 minute lunches was great. My particular store would've done better if given larger location.
Pros
45 min lunches
Cons
high turn over rate
Amazing place!
Dog Trainer/Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 20, 2018
Loved this job, loved the culture, loved being around animals and animal lovers all day. I haven't a bad thing to say about my experience working for Petco.