Petco Employee Reviews for Dog Trainer

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 4,294 reviews
Working with Animals
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 30, 2019
This is a great place to start if you're not sure how to get started with animals but want to get experience. Usually a fair place for consistent work.
Fun place to work
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Eureka, CAJune 24, 2019
Great environment to work in. The company strives for pet care and pet nutrition standards. Management varies by store widely. Great employee discounts, but the pay is not competitive.
Catty but the dogs are a plus
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 15, 2019
I was hired on and the first thing my new coworker said to me was “welcome to h*ll”. The manager was incompetent. I was a dog Trainer and I was supposed to be working full time especially since I was the only one. In order to meet the sales goals I needed to be full time, but he gave me 5-10 hours a week. There’s only ever two people in the store at one time, and the higher up is almost always goofing off on the back doing god knows what. Which was rough when I had to cancel transactions (often) because I needed their password. You don’t get a break. As a dog Trainer I was allowed to bring my do occasionally which was great. I had one coworker who was the dog Trainer before I showed up who took every chance she could to sabotage me but was nice to my face and management knew about it
Pros
Discount, animals
Cons
Management, Pay
Enjoyed working here
Head Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waite Park, MNJune 11, 2019
I enjoyed working for this company. I was the head dog trainer. It was a very fast paced environment. It was very nice to be able to help customers find the best item or food for their pets.
Loved it there. Had to leave because manager was not fair
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJune 6, 2019
Stay away. Animals are not cared for properly. Not enough hours to live on. Good for students in college. They do train and give pay raises. Management doesnt even get a living wage salary.
Not too shabby
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  LouisanaJune 1, 2019
I'm a dog trainer at Petco and honestly my only complaint is the pressure put on sales. I know that's what we do, but you shouldn't have to call upper management three times a day to report 'how many lives you saved' (how many classes sold). There should be mandatory classes for cashiers to sell classes and goals for the cashiers, not just the dog trainers. If my cashiers cared more about selling classes and management didn't just say 'just teach them about dog training,' if there was incentive to sell or a warning if they didn't sell, that would make my job a lot easier.
Pros
Dogs!
Cons
Pressure
My Experience at Petco
Dog Trainer, Retail Associate, Freight Worker (Former Employee) –  Keizer, ORMay 31, 2019
This is a great first job for those of you who are looking to get your foot in the door. While it had a fun environment being around so many animals, bottom line it was a retail job. Even as a dog trainer, U found myself ringing people up over anything else. The biggest issue at the time was that we were understaffed for freight shifts which was an issue because i was told to take these 8 hour shifts unloading 50-80lb bags of dog food and 30 lb tubs of cat litter when i had knee issues. When i asked for a change in shifts i got in trouble for requesting it and got written up
Rewarding and Fun Job with Great Coworkers
Certified Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  MNMay 26, 2019
My job as a dog trainer is something I am truly passionate about. The classes and students I meet are by far the best part of my job. Most store leaders are kind and helpful. Sometimes communication is lacking between employees, but overall my experience with the people is great. I would prefer to get paid more for how important I am to the company, but I'm not in it for the money.
Not the best / Not the worst
Certified Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 26, 2019
I was hired on as a Dog Trainer. It took me 2 months to finally get into my apprenticeship. I felt like it was never going to happen because of my managers not knowing what was going on with it, so that was really annoying. I also wasn't getting my commission at first so that was fun....it's been taken care of now , but it's messed up that I wasn't getting it at all. I've been here for almost a year and the dog training can be really frustrating , but rewarding too. I've been working with dogs professionally for 4 years and had previously trained elsewhere. I love training in general, and helping people and their dogs, but the place I was at before wasn't as stressful as this. I sometimes hate it that my co-workers can sell classes without me being there because they barely tell my future clients anything about the classes & all the company cares about is a sale. My co-workers feel awesome about making a sale and I get it that they're helping me. However, it's annoying when you actually get a hold of the client and then the dog training isn't how they expect it to be because my co-workers didn't explain anything to them when I wasn't there. I've ran into the problem where people don't realize they actually have to come in and participate in the classes or their dog has more issues than what I can actually take on since we just offer basic obedience. Also dog trainers only get 20% commission on whatever the final sale is so that really doesn't help when it seems they always have sales on DT classes. The way the training ring is set up can be frustrating because some dogs can  more... also get stressed in the training environment because it's new and there's a lot going on being in a pet store. A store environment is not for every dog so then you have to give refunds because the dog clearly is uncomfortable. The managers are nice , however they don't do much and hide in the back & getting them to do anything is like pulling teeth. We get complaints a lot and have to deal with rude customers sometimes because we are really understaffed. I hate being on register and sometimes I'm the only one stuck on register which is really inconsiderate since I'm the dog trainer and I'm not even supposed to be up there, but I have to be because we're understaffed. It's annoying when I have a class waiting on me because I got slammed with a line at the register. Sometimes it will just be me and a manger running the whole store. The animals are well taken care of, but I hate it that we don't get them from the best breeders. I love some of my co-workers tho and met some really nice customers & nice clients through dog training. Benefits aren't too bad & cover pretty much everything for me & the discounts and being a PALS member help too along with PTO. I love playing with the ferrets and I actually bought one from there. I'm also all for us going artificial free with dog and cat food. It's not the best job , but it's not the worst either.  less
Pros
Got a ferret from there, benefits, discounts, Pto, working as a dog trainer, cool co-workers
Cons
Rude customers, understaffed, stressful, management could be better
My district was lacking
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 15, 2019
Despite excellent relationships with most of my fellow employees, I felt that in the district where I worked the atmosphere was somewhat hectic. Too much drama.
Pros
Extremely fun and rewarding work.
Cons
Lack of understanding for religious needs.
Depends on your store manager
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAMay 12, 2019
I worked with 5 different managers while I was there, all in the same store. Most of them were helpful, gave you the training you needed, and were pleasant to work with. I loved working with all the animals and took great pride in training classes. I loved most of the customers and had built up good relationships with a lot of them. If any of the first 4 mangers hadn't left I may still be there.

The manager I left under wasn't one of the good ones. He was nasty and rude, not just to the employees but also to the customers. He would assign tasks to employees that they had never done before and give them no training. He would then write them up for doing it wrong. He had most of the employees one write up away from termination within a couple months of being there. When this was brought up to upper management, nothing was done.

There were several employees that left under him, including some that had been there since the store opened
Pros
Discounts, animals
Cons
managment
Dog Trainer Position Is Stressful
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 7, 2019
I've been a dog trainer at this company for almost a year now. My interview was great, they made it seem like I was going to get 1 day off on the weekends and work with amazing people, animals, and be in a relaxed training environment. Then I found out I was actually hired to push the other trainer out of the store and I wasn't thrilled about being used as a piece in their corporate games. I continued with the program, become a full time head trainer at my store, and did really well, but I did not receive the weekend day off like I was promised. I was then contacted by another store in my area to see if I'd like to transfer, where they promised more clients, better pay, and a weekend day off. I transferred stores, to only discover they still weren't going to deliver on their last promise. Every time I ask, I get the same answers of "now is just not the right time", "___ is leaving and you can take over their schedule, which will give you your day off", "please be patient, we're working on it". It's been going on like this for 5 months. Now both of my old managers have transferred to other stores, and the new guys are even more incapable of helping me.

Also the amount of stress that is put onto the dog trainers is ridiculous. Every week, we have to meet a quota of classes to sell based off of the previous year. Seems simple, right? It's actually really hard to do when you're busy teaching the classes you've already sold, or are stuck up at the register when not teaching classes. They don't care who you sell the classes to either, as long as you sell them. We are forced to
  more... sell to owners who have no interest in actually keeping up the training at the home, and then they blame the trainers for it. And then there's the dreaded returns that happen because of this, and management gets really upset about it. But if I wasn't forced to sell the classes to these types of owners in the first place, I wouldn't have the return. They also try to get the other employees to sell classes for you, so when you come in after a day off, you suddenly have no idea what your schedule is, paperwork gets lost, or you end up with an aggressive dog in the class because so in so doesn't know how to screen potential clients. Talking and educating the other employees doesn't help because management goes behind your back and tells them to sell. But of course, the trainer is again blamed for this.

There are pros to being a dog trainer at Petco though, it's not all horrible. You get to meet amazing dogs and owners, the commission plus hourly makes for a nice pay check, puppy play time is just all adorable cuteness, and the hands on experience will look amazing on your resume for when you decide to branch out to something better.
Pros
health insurance, cute dogs
Cons
stressful, mentally and physically exhausting, difficult pet owners
Starts off good until you finish the probation period.
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 25, 2019
Management was no use, they sit in the back office all day. No benefits but what do you expect for part time. Fun to work with animals and customers but beware of constant bragging from store leader that he was getting donations and sales. Dog training is excellent but beware of management, 4 managers and only 2 are worth working with.
Pros
20 and 40% discount, pay starts at 7.75/hr
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, useless management
Depends on the store
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 24, 2019
Some stores have great management that really up lift the team and set goals so that everyone knows what they are supposed to do. While other locations have poor management with people who lack communication, are poor at manage schedules or being fair in the roles of the store.
It’s okay
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDApril 8, 2019
If you are an animal lover petco is great, because you’re around them all the time. The expectations of employees compared to the pay and benefits is way off.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COApril 6, 2019
Management is what stopped me from enjoying my time here, all the way up it just was horrible. I wish people were held accountable for things. Major retaliation.
Pros
Discount, animals
Easy fun job
Dog Trainer, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 4, 2019
The job was easy and fun. I doubled as both an associate and the dog trainer. I will say that the hardest part was selling enough classes to make corporate happy, but we were in a small town so I feel like selling any classes was a good thing.
High stress, Quick paced, Poor management
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waite Park, MNMarch 22, 2019
Starting out I loved it -- loved working with the animals, however it quickly became a never ending nightmare. Poor management caused high levels of stress on myself, co workers, and customers alike with upper management being unwilling to do anything about it.

Quick paced enviroment with short staff, leading to angry customers and management alike. Little to no benefits they offer 401k, health care, and possible dental care but they barely cover anything that it's not even worth it. Management is not willing to be understanding of outside work life situations.

Hours are NOT flexible nor are schedules, if you are full time you are expected to ONLY work here. Pay will not cover living expenses, discount isn't even worth it.
It was fine.
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 18, 2019
For Colorado it would not have covered living expenses unless I was a full time dog trainer or more. It's also very stressful working there. A lot of the employees just don't commit to what the manager tells them to do and so you're by yourself working two cash registers while the employees are off somewhere else wandering around because they don't want to be on the front.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Stressful
Screws Over Dog Trainers
Lead Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAMarch 12, 2019
I thought working at Petco was my dream come true. Who wouldn't want to take care of animals all day?! And the discounts were great! 20$ off anything in the store, and many food brands offered a 50% discount. Honestly, if management didn't completely suck and screw over dog trainers, I would've happily stayed at Petco. It was fairly laid back, I got to pet and interact with dogs every day, and I received LOTS of training to the point I was able to start my own dog training business (after I was out of my 1-year non-compete contract).

I was not paid a living wage as a dog trainer. If I hadn't switched jobs when I did, I would've have run out of savings and been unable to pay rent. The reason for the low pay, they said, was because dog trainers earned commission. This was true, but we only earned 20% on the final sales price for a dog training package. The company would routinely offer promotions that discounted these packages. Dog trainers earned commission on the final sales price, not the original price, so these promotions and other discounts (such as membership rewards) cut into my commission. I also worked in a lower volume store. The flag ship store sold over $1000+ in training each week, but they were in a busy, affluent part of town. My store was in a rural area and was failing. I was lucky if I was able to sell one package a week.

The kicker, which really demonstrated how little the company cared about dog trainers, is groomers received 50% commission. The company also actively advertised grooming with prominent signage and a flashy grooming area. Dog training
  more... was barely advertised, and my training area was only big enough for maybe two dogs when I was expected to have 4 dogs per class.  less
Pros
Cute Animals, Lots of Training, Great Discounts
Cons
Screws Over Dog Trainers, Pay Sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight