Petco Employee Reviews for Dog Trainer

Found 190 reviews matching the search See all 3,591 reviews
Poor training, no accountability for dog trainers
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 14, 2018
My biggest problem with Petco is most of their dog training mentors are not teaching the curriculum and Petco send a very inconsistent message of wether or not that okay. The dog training position is mostly a sales position and my trainer had very poor sales... hard to learn from someone less skilled than you
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Poor communication, slow to solve problems, poor training
Too stressful
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAOctober 14, 2018
Lame. Petco is totally lame. Would not recommend working there unless it's only temporary. Management was poor. Scheduling was always messed up. employee aren't paid enough. Given unrealistic amounts of work to do in very short periods of time.
No management at my store
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 11, 2018
When I was hired as a dog trainer there was a store leader. Just after I started that leader transferred and another leader was not hired. The person put in charge did not do his job. I never saw a pay stub because my information was inaccurate in the system, and the manager could not be bothered to help me fix it. Another store closed and they brought in a second dog trainer and the management neglected to tell me, I was demoted for no reason with no warning. The new dog trainers schedule was given priority and my classes all had to be moved around to suit hers. Every time I would ask if a time was available I was told she had a class then that times came and she had no class. She would tell me everything I was doing was wrong, when in fact she taught her classes wrong and she would tell customers lies about me so they would buy her classes. This was after a customer bought a class from her, saw me teaching and asked to change trainers.
My other coworkers were lovely. I enjoyed working with them a great deal.
Pros
enjoyed working with my coworkers, got a discount on items for my pets
Cons
poorly managed, treated like a place holder by corporate, it was more important that i sell classes then I teach them
Negative Experience
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 10, 2018
No advancement, no breaks, terrible pay, no training, zero communication, schedules always late, no back-up on register for 4+ hours at a time. Management is terrible, dog trainers need to run register whilst a dog class is in session, leaving clients waiting. Zero back-up when clients arrive and forced to run register because the rest of the team are in the manager's office. Many times i had to rearrange or cancel dog classes because the manager did not assign me to that day in the schedule, even though she herself outlined what days i was allowed to train dogs. Management excepts no responsibility for anything and does not listen to concerns. In my short time there, the manager fired 9 employees, made two quit, and kept hiring more and more people which reduced everyone's hours but still provided no support where needed in the store. People with zero experience in the field where promoted to seniority in departments, whilst my experienced colleague was left on minimum wage and unappreciated.
Pros
Working with Animals
Cons
Short lunch, missed lunches, terrible management
Great at store, but sucks at corporate level
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYOctober 2, 2018
Job advancement and pay is dependent upon other people in the store being able to competently selling classes makes it hard to advance or plan pay. Many of many in store managers were great but the company jerks you around some times on paid time off, or career advancement. Great at store level, but sucks at corporate level as nothing ever seems to get done in any type of timely fashion.
Pros
Great discounts, and flexibility on scheduling.
Cons
poor chances at advancement, pay not great for the work effort put in.
Working with dogs is fun
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arroyo Grande, CASeptember 28, 2018
I really enjoyed working with customers and their pets. Training dogs was very fun and rewarding. However, there were issues with disability accommodation that made it difficult to continue working there.
Pros
Store discounts, yearly Vetco coupon
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, low pay, difficult to communicate with HR and management
fun, fast paced, educational
Dog trainer, Food specialist, shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CASeptember 27, 2018
Pet co isn't really where i would see a career but it did teach me a lot. From a variety of animals, to different nutrition, as well as a variety of animal accessories.
Laid back place
Dog trainer (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WISeptember 23, 2018
It depends on who you have as a manager that makes the place. Petco lacks training for people. But overall I'd say it's a good place to meet long time customers and seeing all different kinds of animals is really fun
Pros
Paid vacation time
Cons
No benefits, not enough pay, little hours
physically demanding
Dog Trainer and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILSeptember 22, 2018
It is difficult to work for such a large company. I have a disability and standing for long periods of time left me in pain by the end of my shift. The corporate requirements for out store were almost impossible to meet, and caused a lot of stress on the employees.
opportunity for advancement
Lead Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TX 77640September 12, 2018
Very poor work environment. Co workers call in and are not held up to their responsibilities. The slightest amount of work ethic can result in career advancement
Its a good job but not a good career
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
I have really enjoyed working with petco, however, the higher your position, the worse you have it. Raises are typically fifty cents and its iffy whether you'll get them or not even after you're told you'll receive them.
unproductive, inefficient micromanagement
dog trainer/ Merchandise Operations specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 9, 2018
not a good one. Management is the main area to improvement, and as an entire company. business is slow, but the actually company puts no money into advertisement they just blame the employees at a low wage level.
Pros
Discounts on overpriced product
Nice place for animal lovers
DOG TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 31, 2018
Great company to work for if you are an animal lover, however at the end of the day it is a big corporation and money usually comes first. Overall not a bad place to work.
Horrible place to work
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAAugust 31, 2018
The manager would not let me use my pto, he promoted cashier's with no managing experience, I was also the dog trainer and he would not allow me anytime at all to take care of my class, if there was a return he would take the commission from my check, overall he was devious and corporate won't do anything about it. This is the worst place to work. If you enjoy being lied to and dealing with idiot higher ups this is the place to work. Also the mol and cal at the federal way store cause drama and are rude, they're friends so that makes it worse. They are too idiotic to wrap their heads around management.
Pros
Cons
Rude managers, no raises
High paced and enjoyable environment
Dog Trainer and Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNAugust 30, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my years of being employed by Petco. It was my first job at 18 and I continued to work there for over 6 years. I quickly moved up from an associate to a dog trainer, then eventually to the Dog and Cat department manager.
Great workplace
Dog Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2018
Fun working with dogs and lots of learning experience. Customer service is very important. He more customers that leave happy the better you will look asan employee
Always walked out with a smile.
Department Manager and dog trainer (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAAugust 16, 2018
At petco, it's all about animals coming first, this is the most important thing. It's a retail job but with a great twist. Always a new problem to solve which I enjoyed alot.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Short staff at times
Not the wort employer
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 15, 2018
The top two managers in store care about team members, but I believe are not given the tools necessary to support and encourage. Currently ow morale, but every workplace has its ups and downs.
Pros
Working with and learning about different animals, discount on quality pet foods and supplies, helping customers learn how to best care for their pets, nutrition discussions
Cons
Negative attitude of some on team, poor morale, low pay, little recognition, limited advancement opportunity
you get back what you put into your job
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAAugust 5, 2018
My manager was fantastic and I would work for him again in a heart beat. Petco is a typical retail type environment where coworkers and managers really make or break the job so environment may change from location to location. You get what you put into it. There are plenty of resources to learn and advance if you want to do so. I worked at petco part-time through college and it was a perfect starting position.
Pros
flexible schedules
Management is very disorganized and take advantage of staff
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  HampshireJuly 31, 2018
If I didn’t like animals so much I would not be working there
The place is not well managed ,there is no team connection
And they are very cut throat with hours
Pros
Working with animals
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K

Diversity score

64out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably