Petco Employee Reviews for Dog Trainer

Poor pay, low job advancement opportunities
dog trainer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 15, 2017
Low pay, after being informed of higher pay and increases. Certain positions have little advancement, or it changes. Stressful environment. Low quality of day-to-day utilities in store. Some management are great, some horrible. Same with coworkers.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
low pay, hours, old registers
Boring
Dog trainer (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 25, 2017
If you need a job for bills this is not the job. The pay is poor and a days work was pathetic. Nobody wanted to buy dog training classes because their to out priced. If you want a job that is exciting and upbeat, this is not the one. Sometimes there would be a full hour of just one customer coming in. Boring, and no advancment options. This is not a career, this is a job.
Pros
Customers to chat with
Cons
Low pay, boring, pathetic
Not much room for advancement
Dog Trainer / Adoption Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYSeptember 16, 2017
I worked here for two years before I finally quit. In that two years, I only barely stayed above minimum wage, even after going full time as a Dog Trainer. In addition, we got a new assistant manager that would not schedule anyone properly and several people had to trade shifts because they were outside of their availability. The only plus side was that the GM of my store was wonderful, and there were always animals around.
Great at times, not so great at times
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  La Costa, CA, Portage, MISeptember 15, 2017
Petco has been a great company to work for over the last few years. There are always pros and cons at any job. Personally I love working with animals especially in dog training. Working to strengthen the bond between dogs and their owners is the biggest pro I have with the company. The biggest con would be the lack of communication and support from management within the company. So all in all, there are great days and there are bad days.
Pros
Paid time off, working closely with animals, job security
Cons
Short breaks, sporadic scheduling
Great job but not employees
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 11, 2017
Love the job, ability to advance at rapid rate, tight schedule, fast paced, never be bored. However, management is not as professional as needs be; problems often go unresolved or not taken seriously, sometimes tasks become unattended due to poor time management.
Pros
discounts, animals, new product
Cons
management
Fun Place to work
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 1, 2017
I enjoyed working there because the work environment was very relaxed and friendly. I enjoyed getting to work with animals. The hardest part of the job was definitely dealing with unpleasent customers. I enjoyed working with all of my coworkers. I learned a great deal about animal care and retail while working there.
Having A Job I Have Been Working Towards
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 25, 2017
I always wanted to be a Dog Trainer, alot of the information I have is self taught or read through the many dog training books I own. When this job was offered to me, I was thrilled!
The average day for me, is to be a hand as a cashier until my classes show up!
Management could be better, there is alot of inconsistencies that is frustrating, for instance when I can offer classes and my time away from classes.
The hardest part of my job will have to be making sure the pet parent can understand when I try to explain a solution, but even then, i usually do a hands on approach if a client needs it.
The most enjoyable part of my job is to train my dogs!
Pros
Training Dogs, 40% discount off my Dogs Food, Fun enviroment
Cons
Healthcare, Pay
Horribly lazy management
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 21, 2017
The majority of the managers sat around and did nothing all day long. While the Assistant manager and myself ran the floor. For the majority of the time it was him and i taking care of the store.
Pros
opens late closes early
Cons
everything else
Fun place to work for a lover of all animals
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KSJuly 12, 2017
Extremely enjoyable workplace for anyone who loves all types of animals. Knowledgeable staff in a place where animals are everything. Excellent basic dog training program!
I loved my job there.
Dog Trainer and Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 5, 2017
I was hired as a dog trainer, but I'm not very good at sales and I learned that I don't like teaching people. Fortunately, I had a really good manager who saw my strengths and had me regularly do things that suited me much more. I'm sure, as with any store, if you get the right manager you could enjoy this job very much. The animals were a big plus, too!
Pros
There are a lot of dogs!!!
Cons
Hourly wage too low for me to continue there.
Dog Trainer at Petco
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2017
A typical day at work includes self-marketing to sell dog training courses, working on inventory, the register, and customer service. Dog Training courses are hard to fill but when they are in session the guests are positive and the training the dogs is a positive experience.
customer service opportunity with focus on pet care
DOG TRAINER/GUEST EXPERIENCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 23, 2017
Learned how to interact with customers and provide pet care recommendations to customers. Provided animal care to in-store animals. Demonstrated sales techniques to try to sell Petco services.
Pros
discounts on supplies
Cons
low staff, always multi-tasking
Great place for pets, not so much for employees
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Port Orange, FLJune 21, 2017
Since I've started my job at Petco, I have been pushed around, bullied and walked over. I was hired as a dog trainer, and am never allotted any time to focus on my dog training. I am expected to do trucks every week, stand at a cash register for majority of my shift, and still run classes, help people in the store, sign people up for classes, introduce myself to customers, do workshops, seminars, puppy play times, answer phone calls, keep the store fronted, clean animal accidents, and everything in between all for a very insulting wage. Get a grip, Petco! Take care of your employees and your employees will take care of you!
Love working with Dogs and Cats, Petco lets you enjoy your passion
Part Time Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJune 19, 2017
Love working with dogs, best part about my job. Management support and encourage ideas to sell classes and promote dog training. My Dog Training Mentor is/was awesome with helping me be able to teach my own classes
Great first time job for any animal lover
Dog Trainer/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2017
Overall Petco is a good place to start. It isn't the highest paying job and takes a while to grow with the company but it is a good first time job for someone looking to start their career. You get to learn quite a few different skills from registers to stocking and customer service.It's always enjoyable seeing all the friendly faces that come in to always get your help and seeing all the fun critters that walk through the doors.
Not the place to work if you are career oriented and have bills to pay.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Christiana, DEJune 14, 2017
If you like retail, this is the place for you. I was hired as the head dog trainer and spent 100% of the time at the register for the first 5 months, then was pushed through the dog training program. After all training was finished I felt like a used car salesman. Petco says they are all about the animals but are really about the money. All their training is how to sell, sell, sell, be pushy and don't take no for an answer. Pay was pathetic and no room for advancement. Manager at my store was the best. Absolutely loved him,but all managers are different. Loved the customer base and coworkers, but petco is big corporation and no different from all the others, your just a number. I was disappointed to find out it isn't an American owned or operated company and was embarrassed as a employee that they don't recognize our service men and women. All the money they rake in and can't give a military discount. The breaks were pathetic as well. Great starter job for the young, who still live at home and don't have bills to pay.
Pros
Nice work environment and customers
Cons
Low pay, short breaks, greedy company, and no benefits unless your full time, which is hard to get
Stressful situation with bad management
Dog Obedience Trainer, Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  NJJune 13, 2017
I loved training my dogs but I was treated like I was an idiot and my manager did everything she could to make it miserable for me. I went out of my way to make my classes fun and exciting and nothing I did was ever appreciated...........ever!
Loved my co-workers!
Pros
Loved my dogs
Cons
Management has no clue what they are doing. Can't live on what they pay.
An overall easy job
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 9, 2017
I love dog training and taking care of animals. it was great selling an animal to customers. I loved watching people light up when they got their new pets.
Fun place to work because of ll the animals.
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNMay 28, 2017
I love it here but I'm not getting full time hours as a full time employee. And there is no way for me to move up. They have wonderful benefits and environment.
Poor work/life balance, good coworkers
Key Holding Manager/Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMay 22, 2017
I worked at an understaffed store and would work sometimes 10 days in a row, this allowed for zero work/life balance. Great place to work with animals and enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
Work with animals, good coworkers
Cons
Poor work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.