Petco Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 362 reviews matching the search See all 4,300 reviews
Just a retail job with extra steps
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2019
You will never move up unless you know somebody, that is a higher up. This job is for college students who don't have much chose when it comes to work.
Horrible manager makes for a horrible job
Sales Associate/Product Shipper (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJuly 9, 2019
The managers are made to jump through so many silly hoops and they pass their frustration on the work crew. The workers are left with ever changing duties and even the work schedule changes daily, so you can't have a life outside of work. There is no support for staff.
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJuly 5, 2019
fantastic work enviornment. this is the pinnacle of pet retail brands. you can look other places but they just don't have the pinache of what a truly well ran petco can.
its ok ii guess
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 1, 2019
it was a good first job. i wouldn't say that it was the best job the management really slacked and wasn't really useful of needed for the employees in that location.
The Company cares more about numbers than people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 30, 2019
PetCo is a corporation first and foremost. They routinely emphasize pushing sales to it's employees but tell the customers that the animals come first. They don't. Money does. The store manager at the Corpus Christi location is petty, passive aggressive, and lazy. The only training available is web based with no follow up from management. So if your not good at figuring things out on your own you will fail until the store manager tires of you and reduces your hours until you quit. Communication is haphazard at best.
Pros
Some great people to work with, generous time off, flexible schedule
Cons
Lazy, inexperienced, and inept management, poor communication, no cohesion within management teams
Petco, where the customer comes before everything else, even logic.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 23, 2019
I thought I’d like my position at Petco. Who doesn’t want to work with animals, after all? However, Petco has shown me that they care more about the money than the animals or people working for them. The equipment is outdated, ill pets and feeder animals are allowed to stay ill, unless they cost more to buy. We had an epidemic amongst our mice, and no one did anything about all the dying animals. They only separated some of the ill ones and still sold them even if they were potentially ill. No vet involvement whatsoever. The animals are constantly overcrowded in their cages, making them visibly uncomfortable. On top of that, many times, customers who know nothing about the animal they’re taking home are still allowed to buy them, even when they’ve not bought the proper supplies. Petco cares more about profits than the animals they say they care for.
Half of management at this store cares deeply for the animals, but the other half allows the rest of the junk to go on! It’s sad.
Pros
Nice coworkers, flexible schedule, okay pay
Cons
Incompetent upper management, ignorant customers
Pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXJune 19, 2019
I had a great store manager and coworkers when I worked here. This was my second job and I loved learning about animals and working with great people.
You might get luck.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2019
I loved Petco, customers were great! However, management was horrible. The General Manager had horrible management. The shift leaders thought they were better than you. No one walked what they talked. I feel sometimes Petco doesn't know how to hire their management.
Pros
Laid back
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 13, 2019
Assisted customers on products, sold items related to animal health and was a cashier. Petco worked around my football schedule and classes. Enjoyed my time there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJune 4, 2019
Very great environment with not bad pay at all would definitely recommend people to come out and look for a job that does not require you to kill yourself so much and just enjoy what’s around you
Pros
Environment
3 weeks to get in the system, 1 week of training, fired after another 3 weeks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bryant, ARMay 28, 2019
I was fired at the worst possible time. My financial status is bad and now it's to the point I cant afford to buy food or pay my insurance and medical bills (I was recently found to have a potential of an eye damaging condition). my managers said I "should know how to behave" and I've "worked long enough to understand how to act in the work environment". What was I doing? Who knows. They gave me a vague "customers were complaining" excuse, before one manager had to "escort" (eye roll) me out of the bulding.

they refuse to give me the last check, claiming I had a pay card (I do not) and then insisting it must be direct deposit (it was not). Instead of being helpful, my ex-managers locked themselves in the office for 20 minutes, then finally came out and told me to call HR. well, HR gave me a huge run around, insisting I need to get a pay card (I HAVE NO USE FOR IT, I GOT FIRED!!) And then I would have to call the pay card company to get the money. I only ever got paid in checks and I just want my money. I cant afford anything and I'm very concerned I'll end up being dropped by my insurance, which means I wont be able to afford my medication.

So thanks, Petco. Thanks for screwing me out of a job and around $200.
Pros
Somewhat relaxed
Cons
Bad managers, poor treatment of animals
Fun job but with a lot of “buts”
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMay 28, 2019
When I was first hired I was told I’d be full time especially since most of the associates had quit around the same time. Then during my first week I was told that no I am hired part time (which was fine, annoying but fine, I got a second job). It’s definitely a more relaxed atmosphere-they train you on the register and feeding and caring for the animals-very easy work. But my first but is I have been there for 8 months and have yet to learn anything more than register and small animals, second but is I was the first of the new hires they hired but hours and opportunities are given to those who’ve come in after me, and third but is it would seem you’re only worth is how much “baskets you can fill”. This job is all about the sales you can give them. They don’t say this but they want people coming in who are knowledgeable about the animals in the store and if you don’t know anything (like me) you’re stuck at the register. If you’re not what they need it’s a dead end job.
Pros
Working with all kinds of animals, very generous discount if you have pets
Cons
Hours, sometimes you’ll only work once a week, no breaks
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin Square, NYMay 17, 2019
Provided high quality customer service and processed transactions in a swift manner
Educated customers about products and services offered in store to enhance their experience
Conducted routine cycle counts of inventory and restocked products on the floor.
If you love animals and don't need to financially support yourself, it's great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNMay 6, 2019
Working at Petco is great if you love animals, and have the patience of an angel when it comes to rude customers. The only problem is that they NEVER give you options to advance your position or pay, and everyone is underpaid except management. (Nearly everyone has second jobs.) It's fine if you're only looking for a summer or temporary job, but I would not recommend staying here long-term.
Pros
Work with animals, discounts
Cons
Low pay, little to no increase in pay, rude customers
Nice and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIApril 9, 2019
A lot of work, especially on adoption days, but taking care of all the animals and seeing all the dogs made it worth it. Nice manager and flexible work hours.
It all depends on the coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Menifee, CAApril 3, 2019
I worked at the Redlands Petco, I had amazing co-workers, I enjoyed work everyday. Even though I was only working 16 hours a week. I had to transfer to the store in Menifee California, because of family issues. My co-workers were horrible, I dreaded going back to work everyday. Managment was never on the employees side of things, even when the customer was blatently wrong and violating a policy. I ended up leaving after a shift one day, and never going back. Also, if you love animals now, give it a few months working at Petco and you wont want any animals at home.
Pros
Lots of things to learn about
Cons
Managment sucks
Only rated high so you can see how poor this place is!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMarch 25, 2019
This store is nothing but drama and favoritism. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. I’d go back to Poughkeepsie if I were to apply again. Until management is fixed in Kingston I will not be doing any buisness with them. They lie in the job summary too so beware!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, favoritism, poor management
love the work hate the politics
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 23, 2019
turn over for employees is high, usually i enjoy the work but the expectations, from the last manager, for how the customer should be treated was far higher than company guidelines, also there were a ton of issues he never reported like infestations. and i personally believe there should be a higher stress to refuse sales on animals if the customer will not take care of it properly.
Was a fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2019
Great place overall to work although if your hourly don't expect to make much. There pay raises are every 6 months and it's usually 10 cents maybe a little more depending on job performance. There is much shared responsibility within the company as for as work load is concerned, so if your a sales associate or cashier u will more than likely be doing more than just being a cashier associate. Most likely u will be required like I was to help all through out the store. Nothing wrong with that but some days they would have me in the stock room moving pallets of dog food or putting stock up. Other times cleaning up around the store and helping inventory and yes my favorite part was working one on one with the animals. So ya in a nutshell the job was okay.
Kirkland Petco
Sales Associate / Petco (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMarch 21, 2019
By far one of the worst days jobs I’ve had. The managers were awful and rude. The hours were awful and nobody really cared about you, even if you were sick and couldn’t come in they would keep pressuring you to come in. They didn’t give a rats a**
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably