Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,063 reviews matching the search See all 4,207 reviews
regular job, regular break room, regular coworkers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ranson, WVJune 19, 2019
regular everything.
The customers were ok 90% of the time except for the regular inbred idiots that came in from the local area. Some people just simply can not be helped.
Pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXJune 19, 2019
I had a great store manager and coworkers when I worked here. This was my second job and I loved learning about animals and working with great people.
You might get luck.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2019
I loved Petco, customers were great! However, management was horrible. The General Manager had horrible management. The shift leaders thought they were better than you. No one walked what they talked. I feel sometimes Petco doesn't know how to hire their management.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Im a team player, always willing to go that extra step
Customer Advisory (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 18, 2019
Management needs people skills, hours constantly changing, no back up when call outs Management takes weekends off none for employees no matter how long one has been with the company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours for work week
Get paid as hard as you work
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GAJune 18, 2019
Basically with this job the harder you work the more it pays off. Trust me you will work hard. With management as long as you follow the rules and safe practices you'll be just fine. You also have to have an extreme love for animals because it will be tested.
Not just a job to play with cute animals all day.
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 18, 2019
While I greatly enjoyed the work I did as a groomer, I was less than thrilled with the direction the company was moving. It was starting to feel much more about pushing high sales than caring in full for the clients and their pets. Quantity over quality, so to speak. The in store managers were generally always very understanding and helpful. The job itself could be very stressful, especially on days where we didn't have enough staff on hand or extremely busy days. The job itself is both physically and mentally challenging, certainly not just a play date with puppies. Bites happened, messes that had to be cleaned up, thrashing dogs, and it all had to be handled as calmly as possible. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart. But if you enjoy a challenge, keeping busy and constantly learning new things, it's a very rewarding experience. And yeah, you might have a puppy sneak you the occasional kiss or two.
Pros
Keeps you busy, always room to learn, fast paced, creative work
Cons
Stressful at times, can be physically exhausting, pushy on sales
Very Stressful and Inconsistant
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJune 18, 2019
Working with and around animals and the people that love them is great, but the retail environment is stressful and very inconsistent (Especially in terms of scheduling).
Pros
Animals, Friendly People
Cons
Short Breaks, Inconsistent Schedule, Occasionally stressful and competitive environment.
AVOID if you care about animals
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MDJune 18, 2019
Petco corporate talks a nice game but the difference between the image they promote and the reality of stores is night and day. Expect to see regular animal abuse and neglect and expect to see it dismissed or ignored unless you have clear video evidence, which is virtually impossible with the incredibly low quality cameras we have. As a whistleblower, you can expect to be retaliated against as soon as your general and district managers figure out that you’re the one complaining.

Corporate pretends to care and the policies Petco has on paper are excellent but they are absolutely not enforced and anyone telling you otherwise has either gotten very lucky with their managers or is someone from a corporate office who has no idea what actually goes on in the stores. I have worked in 4 different stores during my time with this company and it is the same everywhere.

If you enjoy a culture where animals are an afterthought and you want to get underpaid to aggressively sell overpriced services to customers with no commission for the effort you put in, you will love it here. All the standard retail obsession over metrics is present here, with the difference that you’re expected to ignore the living animals in your care in order to hit your numbers. Again, corporate will pretend to care but when push comes to shove, you can get away with regular live animal “shrink” for years but you will be quickly fired if you don’t sell enough dog training classes every week.
Fun retail job with room to grow
CSadvisor/demospecialist/adoption captian (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 18, 2019
Relaxed work environment ideal for people new to retail and just learning the ropes of customer service. Friendly staff and customers and a solid training program. Room to advance if you are motivated, but hourly rate is minimum wage to start. Commission based jobs are available though so earnings can be increased greatly if you excell at service type jobs.
Good company
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2019
The company is a pleasant one to work for. However, if you are a high volume store, you will encounter plenty of rude customers which is the main downfall. Manager schedules everyone 30-40 hours a week, even if they are part time. The animals are always a plus yet you must be comfortable handling all of them. I started off as a cashier and then moved to the floor where I had to balance being a cashier when needed, assisting customers, handling animals, stocking, and cleaning the store. The ability to multitask at a relaxed level is a must. The pay is really not great but once you complete online training they boost you 50 cents. 20% discount. Overall, a fun place to work if you are a people person and an animal lover.
Welcoming
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 17, 2019
Coworkers are inviting and can easily help out when you need it whether it be back up on registers or help on the floor or with customers specific needs.
It was a great experience
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJune 17, 2019
I loved working there until they changed our manager. Cleaning became less important and when I had a personal problem with my car he was extremely rude to me about it, and it just didn’t pay enough to be worth the drive anymore. That being said I love everyone there and they were super supportive of me and were very welcoming
It’s better if you are a part time entry partner
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJJune 16, 2019
Petco is very fond of making you do more difficult things for less pay. My favorite of which is when they expect you to earn your future job by taking upon all the responsibilities of a higher position while not getting paid for Said position. If leadership culture at your store involves a lot of shady people doing whatever they want then you can expect that you will be shafted vigorously in almost all aspects of working there .
Fun environment
Guest Advisor/PetCoach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2019
The work is fun and satisfying, but there is a severe lack of cohesive communication from corporate to management, and between management positions. I would have stayed if there seemed to be a more clear chain of command, and a better sense of accountability for management.
Catty but the dogs are a plus
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 15, 2019
I was hired on and the first thing my new coworker said to me was “welcome to h*ll”. The manager was incompetent. I was a dog Trainer and I was supposed to be working full time especially since I was the only one. In order to meet the sales goals I needed to be full time, but he gave me 5-10 hours a week. There’s only ever two people in the store at one time, and the higher up is almost always goofing off on the back doing god knows what. Which was rough when I had to cancel transactions (often) because I needed their password. You don’t get a break. As a dog Trainer I was allowed to bring my do occasionally which was great. I had one coworker who was the dog Trainer before I showed up who took every chance she could to sabotage me but was nice to my face and management knew about it
Pros
Discount, animals
Cons
Management, Pay
Fast paced and Heavy duty work.
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 15, 2019
I work at the only A volume store in town and it is very fast paced and there is a lot to do and sometimes not enough people to do it. If you can bear with the work the first month your there it gets easier since you will know what to do. I was Hired for animal care but they consistently put me on registers for my whole shift. so we'll see if I ever get to do much else. Management isn't always consistent which is hard put just doing your best seems to be appreciated at least.
Pros
Hours, Discount
Cons
Ignorant Customers, workload
It was a friendly environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIJune 15, 2019
It was stressful at times but my employers were very nice and were always there to help. Had fun events during the seasons. You can bring in your dog if it’s well behaved and is good around other dogs.
Pros
Get to see cute dogs
Cons
Not very long lunch breaks
Great job and Great Experiences but...
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMJune 14, 2019
I worked at 2 different Petcos during my 5.5 year stretch of working for them. If the store you're applying for does not do well in sales then they won't have payroll to staff employees to do daily things. You will be overworked and underpaid doing multiple things at once such as watching the register and deep cleaning or opening an animal area within its view (even across the store.) The animals, in short, are a hassle no matter what position you are. It is very difficult to open/feed/clean and deal with customers breathing down your neck. And most customers need a good amount of time to fully explain something to them like animal care or a product. It can take up to an hour to sell someone an animal. Forget about whatever you were working on before, especially if it's just you and an associate watching the register.
Now if the store does really well in sales (60k+ a week) then you'll find there are multiple employees throughout the day. That is a great bonus for having positions filled and the ship sailing smoothly. It is stressful with more customers but time goes by quickly.

They've made the pay better since I've been there (in which they really screwed me over so I'm very bitter) and now you get a pay raise after your first 3 months of like $0.50 or something. Dependent of where you're at too physically, of course. Honestly though the pay the want to give you isn't really that good for everything you have to learn. They teach you everything but you're still constantly learning and they aren't right about everything ether. Not to mention helping customers who are "experts"
  more... in the specific field that know more than you.

It's a good starting job. I wouldn't invest my career into it unless you plan on being a Store Leader and even then, choose your store carefully. The deciding factor SHOULD be this though: Don't take the job if Walmart will pay you better because it will be so much easier at Walmart without the animals. Simple as that.

They do have health benefits and a 401k for full time employees over 21 if you're needing that but from what I've heard it isn't that great.
Pros
Fun around animals, different experience. new learning experiences, good management helps a lot
Cons
Low pay, usually low-staffed, too many tasks, customers come before animals, easily overworked, you won't rise well in pay, groomers and dog trainers are more "valuable assets"
Stressful environment due to poor management
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 13, 2019
Coworkers okay but management is... bleh.
Hiring manager illegally manipulated time cards, was fired. Working an entire store with only five semi reliable employees with little encouragement or support from corporate. Supposed to have four full-time managers, only have one. Store is in shambles. Maybe eventually the store will be a good place to work but it isn't right now.
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 13, 2019
Assisted customers on products, sold items related to animal health and was a cashier. Petco worked around my football schedule and classes. Enjoyed my time there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight