Petco Culture reviews

Found 652 reviews matching the search See all 4,303 reviews
productive work environment
Guest Experience Specialist (Sales Associate) (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJuly 15, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of helping costumers and tending to the animals throughout the day,i learned how to work well with others and more information about animal and customer service ,the hardest part about working there was how far it was from my home ,the most enjoyable part was seeing how happy i made the customers when i helped them.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, spend time with animals and customers
Cons
short breaks, some employees did not work well with others
it`s fun to see others pets
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marana, AZJuly 14, 2019
cashier and ans questions, learned a lot about pets diets, management could be better, playing with customers pets is the best part, workplace culture is pretty good
Pros
discounts
Cons
no breaks
Competetive .
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 13, 2019
Good place to learn about pet care.competitive pet salons in your district.always wanting more.never good enough even when "we" went above and beyond..fun place to work yet very stressful at times.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Competion
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJuly 5, 2019
fantastic work enviornment. this is the pinnacle of pet retail brands. you can look other places but they just don't have the pinache of what a truly well ran petco can.
Positive
Guest Advisor Leader on Duty (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 2, 2019
Fun place to work, great staff, enjoy the company. This place has alot of potiental people to move up in the world. I recommend working here because its a great company.
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2019
I loved working here I got benefits and more the discounts are amazing! Fun environment it’s not stressful like petsmart but I wanted to grow more as a groomer!
Really nice company just needs more help and a little more organization
Grooming Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2019
A typical day at work would me coming in and greeting everyone and clocking in going to the office to get the paperwork. setting up the salon and filing paperwork before the customers come in. check in the customers and their pets and socialize with my other teammates, the hardest part about work is the customers, you never know who you're going to get. Most are sweet but you have that handful who just are not satisfied with anything you do unless its free. I love to see the smiling faces of my co-workers it brings me a lot of joy
Great Team
Guest Experience Specialist- Caring (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJune 27, 2019
I was easily integrated into the staff team as everyone was friendly and willing to explain things to me. The store manager was very supportive and helped me when I felt I needed it.
Fun place to work
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Eureka, CAJune 24, 2019
Great environment to work in. The company strives for pet care and pet nutrition standards. Management varies by store widely. Great employee discounts, but the pay is not competitive.
Petco Volunteer Town Cats Program
Town Cats Volunteer - Kitten Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 22, 2019
Really fun and soothing environment to volunteer in. I had fun caring for the kittens and it was good to decompress from a stressful day after school.
Good place for a college student to work
Assistant Manager/Merchandise Operator (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJune 22, 2019
A good place to work if you are a student or if you are looking for a place to work part-time to help make ends meet. It is a pretty relaxed atmosphere.
Full of adventure and new experiences
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92508June 20, 2019
I enjoyed getting to meet all kinds of new people and pets. The management was very professional and personable for new and old employees. I love for pets I'd definitely a must.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Mixed hours
Pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXJune 19, 2019
I had a great store manager and coworkers when I worked here. This was my second job and I loved learning about animals and working with great people.
Very Stressful and Inconsistant
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJune 18, 2019
Working with and around animals and the people that love them is great, but the retail environment is stressful and very inconsistent (Especially in terms of scheduling).
Pros
Animals, Friendly People
Cons
Short Breaks, Inconsistent Schedule, Occasionally stressful and competitive environment.
AVOID if you care about animals
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MDJune 18, 2019
Petco corporate talks a nice game but the difference between the image they promote and the reality of stores is night and day. Expect to see regular animal abuse and neglect and expect to see it dismissed or ignored unless you have clear video evidence, which is virtually impossible with the incredibly low quality cameras we have. As a whistleblower, you can expect to be retaliated against as soon as your general and district managers figure out that you’re the one complaining.

Corporate pretends to care and the policies Petco has on paper are excellent but they are absolutely not enforced and anyone telling you otherwise has either gotten very lucky with their managers or is someone from a corporate office who has no idea what actually goes on in the stores. I have worked in 4 different stores during my time with this company and it is the same everywhere.

If you enjoy a culture where animals are an afterthought and you want to get underpaid to aggressively sell overpriced services to customers with no commission for the effort you put in, you will love it here. All the standard retail obsession over metrics is present here, with the difference that you’re expected to ignore the living animals in your care in order to hit your numbers. Again, corporate will pretend to care but when push comes to shove, you can get away with regular live animal “shrink” for years but you will be quickly fired if you don’t sell enough dog training classes every week.
It’s better if you are a part time entry partner
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJJune 16, 2019
Petco is very fond of making you do more difficult things for less pay. My favorite of which is when they expect you to earn your future job by taking upon all the responsibilities of a higher position while not getting paid for Said position. If leadership culture at your store involves a lot of shady people doing whatever they want then you can expect that you will be shafted vigorously in almost all aspects of working there .
I loved working at Petco
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2019
I met a lot of nice people, I had benefits, had 250 plus friends/co-workers, a great job, made lots of money enough to pay my bills. Team building events.
Pros
Great Saary
Cons
Traffic
Not bad for retail
Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 25, 2019
For a retail job it isn’t too bad, there is benefits and the paid time off is pretty good. The constant pressure to sale dog training and other things made the culture less than ideal.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Pressure to upsale
Don't work at Petco if you values animals.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 25, 2019
Mandatory 1 hour meeting in the morning when you should be taking care of animals. Your labor is not adjusted to include this 1 hour meeting with corporate. Labor is the most important goal. The appearance of animals is second. The actual well being of animals is when ever you have time.
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
Toxic top down work culture.
Fast placed company with smiling faces from guests and coworkers
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atascocita, TXMay 24, 2019
I really enjoy this job and the people I work with. I love seeing guests constantly come in. It’s a good feeling having genuine relationships with guests. Management is really deserving of respect and overall caring, considerate people. It can be a little difficult to progress in the company depending on your availability. Other than that, the job is great for anyone looking for a fun, hands-on, part time job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably