Petco Employee Review

Great place for animal lovers
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAOctober 27, 2013
Great Management, loved the environment and my fellow employees. Loved working with the animals.

Other Petco Employee Reviews

Great place to work with plenty of room to grow!
Sales Associate and Clerk (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMay 22, 2018
There is such a great wealth of roles and tasks to preform. I loved caring for the small animals: birds, guinea pigs, and rodents. They were ready and willing to train me for bigger roles in the small animal department. I was often told that I could easily work my way up into corporate with my abilities.
Pros
Room to grow.
Cons
Shifts are all over the place.
Best Manager I've had Worst Private Firm Takeover Ever
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  WIMay 22, 2018
I can say, genuinely, that working at Petco made me a better person. But, not because I worked for Petco per se. My manager albiet a short time reminded me of what passion for your job looks like. He worked his way up from Groomer and knew the company and its policies solidly and was friendly/enjoying in just about every aspect of his job. Fantastic Managers do exist in retail. He held you accountable while being for the most part fair, and pretty thoughtful about it to boot willing to discuss how you could improve.

However, some whom I saw get hired into the company, (as well as learning how the store they were given thereafter when theirbcustomers told me all about it) made me realize Petco was probably not that same company my manager rose the ranks with. So too when the new private firm took over the company. I legitimately thought the company might become publicly traded, leading to a spike in growth, possible new stores/etc. Wrong. One manager position cut in each store. Guess who was odd man out? Yikes.

As to the job, its dirty/gross and you definitely will take a shower when you get home of you're even marginally hygenic. But, it's actually enjoyable. You might look out on a Sunday afternoon wishing you could've played pickup baseball with your buds that day. But you came to work, you have a job (might have been same pay you got at a certian retail chain as a backroom stocker a month after you got cut) If staffing reductions hadn't cost me the only job I ever left unwillingly, I think I'd have kept hoping to improve and working hard there. But, I'm not, so oh
  more... well.

But to be direct, its not a company to make a living with below Assistant Manager. Good for college students though.You can find enjoyment in it, but again you might not. Love guinea pigs, and went from totally opposed to dealing with ferrets (smell awful to me though still), to finding them amusing and funny little critters (but still wouldnt own), still spooked by the ball pythons though, found enjoyment watching the turtles eat, bearded dragons are permanently a no for me, and lepoard geckos are grumpy little farts. All in all I can say I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
If you get one of the lifers as a manager, coworkers, pet "parents" and the regular pets with them are great to get to know
Cons
You get a direct hire manager who sits in the office all day, pay, new ownership short sighted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight