Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,069 reviews matching the search See all 4,214 reviews
Retail, on steroids.
Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 23, 2019
I have been waiting for the day to be able to leave a job review on Petco. I used to come into Petco as a customer and was decently impressed with the quality of fish. However, my life had a major turn and I ended up working at Petco to make ends meet. Generally, I can’t say it’s the worst job in the world to have but it’s not very good either. Petco along with other retailers, I’m sure, are notorious for minimizing staff while maximizing profit whilst still expecting the same amount of work to get done. I’ve worked at 3 different stores, each store having a different negative experience than the first. The first stores experience, I was hired on as aquatics specialist because I had a great deal of knowledge on fish. They would not let me work aquatics very often and kept me on register, yet, would fuss at me because gravel vacuums and algae scrubs needed to get done. My second experience and where I worked the longest was probably the best out of all 3 places. I was bringing that store about 2,000 dollars a week in fish sales. The general manager had an obsession with wanting to become what’s called a “magnet store”. They would order fish and expect me to calibrate and make work what they ordered. Needless to say they ordered about 36 new skus of fish, not 36 fish, 36 skus of about 20 fish per sku, along with the planogram fish. Then they fussed at me for putting fish that were semi compatible together and ended up dying due to their aggression but was doing the best that I could In the situation. Once the magnet store situation came to a head the freshwater systems crashed  more... from the GM ordering so many fish. The stores shrink (inventory loss) was over 100% and who got the blame for that? Me. Even though I stopped ordering fish all together to compensate the fish the GM was ordering. The GM also didn’t know much about fish and only really cared about the sales. I have trained people at 2 other stores without any pay increase except mileage. The district manager for some reason really liked me and so offered to give me a one dollar raise if I transferred to a nearby store to rescue their aquatics department and buff it up. I did that, however, checking a recent paystub I was still not given a raise and that information was relayed to me over a month ago. Speaking of district managers, general store managers are scared to death of animal walks and audits by district managers. They want us to clean, clean, clean. Sometimes neglecting the animals to make the store clean. I’m really heavy on water quality and not so much looks and even if the fish are swimming around great and there’s a spot of algae or detritus at the bottom of the tank I get fussed at for that. Im guessing it’s still better than petsmart from customer information. Considering at one store I turned around sales 120% while bringing in sales at 2,000 a week at another store 3 hours away it seems in their best interest that they would want to keep me, if I wasn’t going on to something else. Once I leave in just a few weeks, if I get Into a rough patch again I will never consider working at Petco, ever.  less
Pros
Decent PTO, better than petsmart
Cons
See the explanations above.
Petco, where the customer comes before everything else, even logic.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 23, 2019
I thought I’d like my position at Petco. Who doesn’t want to work with animals, after all? However, Petco has shown me that they care more about the money than the animals or people working for them. The equipment is outdated, ill pets and feeder animals are allowed to stay ill, unless they cost more to buy. We had an epidemic amongst our mice, and no one did anything about all the dying animals. They only separated some of the ill ones and still sold them even if they were potentially ill. No vet involvement whatsoever. The animals are constantly overcrowded in their cages, making them visibly uncomfortable. On top of that, many times, customers who know nothing about the animal they’re taking home are still allowed to buy them, even when they’ve not bought the proper supplies. Petco cares more about profits than the animals they say they care for.
Half of management at this store cares deeply for the animals, but the other half allows the rest of the junk to go on! It’s sad.
Pros
Nice coworkers, flexible schedule, okay pay
Cons
Incompetent upper management, ignorant customers
Petco Volunteer Town Cats Program
Town Cats Volunteer - Kitten Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 22, 2019
Really fun and soothing environment to volunteer in. I had fun caring for the kittens and it was good to decompress from a stressful day after school.
Good place for a college student to work
Assistant Manager/Merchandise Operator (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJune 22, 2019
A good place to work if you are a student or if you are looking for a place to work part-time to help make ends meet. It is a pretty relaxed atmosphere.
Don’t take a job here
Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Quad CitiesJune 22, 2019
Benefits are awful hardly anything covered before meet ductable. There no regularity to your schedule. A lot weekend hours. I’m not given enough time in the department I was hired to do. They stick you on register even though you have a department to work in. half the staff and management don’t care about animals at all it’s awful. There a certain manager that is very unprofessional and disrespect likes to make certain staff miserable. Some coworker are nice but some are very unprofessional and disrespectful. A lot of favoritism though out the store. Then general manager is decent. Yo’ll Loss hours about half the time due to budget issues. I’d recommend staying away from petco for a job it is a very stressful unpleasant place to work.rude..
Pros
Pleasant customers, store discount, animals, some coworker are nice
Cons
Awful benefits, disrespectful coworkers, some poor management
Full of adventure and new experiences
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92508June 20, 2019
I enjoyed getting to meet all kinds of new people and pets. The management was very professional and personable for new and old employees. I love for pets I'd definitely a must.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Mixed hours
regular job, regular break room, regular coworkers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ranson, WVJune 19, 2019
regular everything.
The customers were ok 90% of the time except for the regular inbred idiots that came in from the local area. Some people just simply can not be helped.
Pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXJune 19, 2019
I had a great store manager and coworkers when I worked here. This was my second job and I loved learning about animals and working with great people.
You might get luck.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2019
I loved Petco, customers were great! However, management was horrible. The General Manager had horrible management. The shift leaders thought they were better than you. No one walked what they talked. I feel sometimes Petco doesn't know how to hire their management.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Im a team player, always willing to go that extra step
Customer Advisory (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 18, 2019
Management needs people skills, hours constantly changing, no back up when call outs Management takes weekends off none for employees no matter how long one has been with the company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours for work week
Get paid as hard as you work
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GAJune 18, 2019
Basically with this job the harder you work the more it pays off. Trust me you will work hard. With management as long as you follow the rules and safe practices you'll be just fine. You also have to have an extreme love for animals because it will be tested.
Not just a job to play with cute animals all day.
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 18, 2019
While I greatly enjoyed the work I did as a groomer, I was less than thrilled with the direction the company was moving. It was starting to feel much more about pushing high sales than caring in full for the clients and their pets. Quantity over quality, so to speak. The in store managers were generally always very understanding and helpful. The job itself could be very stressful, especially on days where we didn't have enough staff on hand or extremely busy days. The job itself is both physically and mentally challenging, certainly not just a play date with puppies. Bites happened, messes that had to be cleaned up, thrashing dogs, and it all had to be handled as calmly as possible. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart. But if you enjoy a challenge, keeping busy and constantly learning new things, it's a very rewarding experience. And yeah, you might have a puppy sneak you the occasional kiss or two.
Pros
Keeps you busy, always room to learn, fast paced, creative work
Cons
Stressful at times, can be physically exhausting, pushy on sales
Very Stressful and Inconsistant
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJune 18, 2019
Working with and around animals and the people that love them is great, but the retail environment is stressful and very inconsistent (Especially in terms of scheduling).
Pros
Animals, Friendly People
Cons
Short Breaks, Inconsistent Schedule, Occasionally stressful and competitive environment.
AVOID if you care about animals
Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MDJune 18, 2019
Petco corporate talks a nice game but the difference between the image they promote and the reality of stores is night and day. Expect to see regular animal abuse and neglect and expect to see it dismissed or ignored unless you have clear video evidence, which is virtually impossible with the incredibly low quality cameras we have. As a whistleblower, you can expect to be retaliated against as soon as your general and district managers figure out that you’re the one complaining.

Corporate pretends to care and the policies Petco has on paper are excellent but they are absolutely not enforced and anyone telling you otherwise has either gotten very lucky with their managers or is someone from a corporate office who has no idea what actually goes on in the stores. I have worked in 4 different stores during my time with this company and it is the same everywhere.

If you enjoy a culture where animals are an afterthought and you want to get underpaid to aggressively sell overpriced services to customers with no commission for the effort you put in, you will love it here. All the standard retail obsession over metrics is present here, with the difference that you’re expected to ignore the living animals in your care in order to hit your numbers. Again, corporate will pretend to care but when push comes to shove, you can get away with regular live animal “shrink” for years but you will be quickly fired if you don’t sell enough dog training classes every week.
Fun retail job with room to grow
CSadvisor/demospecialist/adoption captian (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 18, 2019
Relaxed work environment ideal for people new to retail and just learning the ropes of customer service. Friendly staff and customers and a solid training program. Room to advance if you are motivated, but hourly rate is minimum wage to start. Commission based jobs are available though so earnings can be increased greatly if you excell at service type jobs.
Good company
Guest Experience Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2019
The company is a pleasant one to work for. However, if you are a high volume store, you will encounter plenty of rude customers which is the main downfall. Manager schedules everyone 30-40 hours a week, even if they are part time. The animals are always a plus yet you must be comfortable handling all of them. I started off as a cashier and then moved to the floor where I had to balance being a cashier when needed, assisting customers, handling animals, stocking, and cleaning the store. The ability to multitask at a relaxed level is a must. The pay is really not great but once you complete online training they boost you 50 cents. 20% discount. Overall, a fun place to work if you are a people person and an animal lover.
Welcoming
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 17, 2019
Coworkers are inviting and can easily help out when you need it whether it be back up on registers or help on the floor or with customers specific needs.
It was a great experience
Merchandise Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJune 17, 2019
I loved working there until they changed our manager. Cleaning became less important and when I had a personal problem with my car he was extremely rude to me about it, and it just didn’t pay enough to be worth the drive anymore. That being said I love everyone there and they were super supportive of me and were very welcoming
It’s better if you are a part time entry partner
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Verona, NJJune 16, 2019
Petco is very fond of making you do more difficult things for less pay. My favorite of which is when they expect you to earn your future job by taking upon all the responsibilities of a higher position while not getting paid for Said position. If leadership culture at your store involves a lot of shady people doing whatever they want then you can expect that you will be shafted vigorously in almost all aspects of working there .
Fun environment
Guest Advisor/PetCoach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2019
The work is fun and satisfying, but there is a severe lack of cohesive communication from corporate to management, and between management positions. I would have stayed if there seemed to be a more clear chain of command, and a better sense of accountability for management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Petco.

Powered by Comparably