Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,155 reviews matching the search See all 4,307 reviews
I enjoyed my time
Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJuly 12, 2019
Petco was a place where I could grow into the professional person I am today. It was an interesting time everyday day where it seemed like I learned something new every day. I was able to build my extensive background in caring for many different animals and learn to care for my own animals even better
Worst company I have worked for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAJuly 11, 2019
If you like your work environment to be the embodiment of Mean Girls, this is the job for you! I’ve never in my life met such catty people including management. I received almost zero training in the 7 months I worked for Petco, then got yelled at for my lack of knowledge on things they didn’t train me on. The final straw was being relocated during a move and told I would only get 4 hours a week despite being guaranteed at least 20. What a joke. Manager in both locations put people against each other and always sat in the office doing nothing. Would get mad if you had to call them up to override register, which was very often because their system sucks, despite them not training you on it.
Pros
50% discount, pets
Cons
Management, catty, hours, toxic
Horrible Business
Guest Advisor (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYJuly 10, 2019
Not only does Petco expect its staff to work outside of NYS labor laws, it gives its staff none of the resources necessary to carry out their very high expectations. Petco as a corporation has been pushing “pride” and lgbtq+ support but ignores HR calls and refuses to fire managers that openly threaten lgbtq+ staff
Okay place to work
Customer Service/ Animal Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 10, 2019
Pretty much the same as working at any other retail job except you get to do it with animals. You'll enjoy it as long as you enjoy teaching people about how to take care of pets and don't mind the retail side either.
Nature of work was ideal
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 10, 2019
Management, no matter the level lacked the sympathy of life outside of work. Overall, there is little to no advancement. As a part-time or first job its beneficial since you get a sense of responsibilities.
Company is fantastic...however...
Aquatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 10, 2019
There are certain positions at this company where minimum wage makes sense, for example an entry level cashier position. Once you prove to the team that you're promotion materiel, the hoop jumping begins. There is opportunity to move up, but it's very limited depending on your location. There are a lot of "lifers" in this company, which stand in the way of new blood being able to get where they, quite frankly, deserve to be.

Management leaves a lot to be desired, however that changes from location to location. I've worked at several stores, and only one has had terrible managmnet.

There are pros and cons, but the cons do outweigh the pros. Raises are minimal, and there's no way you're surviving on a wage from this company unless you're part of management.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 9, 2019
I did this job back when I was in high school, and was in the workability program. Pretty much all I did was facing products, and helping customers out. It's a good job.
They don’t care. Just want warm bodies.
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  They don’t care to fix whatsbroken less its DT/GrJuly 9, 2019
They don’t care what you’re good at or what you can do nor do they care when you make accomplishments that improve the business. You can Fix leaks that are causing shrink, You could improve sales in any number of departments and they won’t care unless it’s dog training or grooming. No recognition and no attempt to put you in a position where you could better your career and the company. If you are too loud/vocal about trying to fix what’s nrokem...in the can you go. They know it’s broken they just don’t want to fix it unless it’s dog training or grooming related no matter how good you are
Horrible manager makes for a horrible job
Sales Associate/Product Shipper (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJuly 9, 2019
The managers are made to jump through so many silly hoops and they pass their frustration on the work crew. The workers are left with ever changing duties and even the work schedule changes daily, so you can't have a life outside of work. There is no support for staff.
Poor Management
GES (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 8, 2019
Not sure if it was my store only, but my manager left and was replaced. New store manager doesn’t know how to do her job. Schedules changed without me knowing multiple times; without speaking to me first. Manager was rude and belittling to me when asking for a transfer to a closer store rather than driving and extra 20 minutes to go to work. They denied my transfer for “attendance issues” when I hadn’t been late in three months .
Friendly passionate work environment
GUEST SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 8, 2019
If you work at Petco you love some type of animal and the workers are very passionate about their jobs with the animals. If I could work again there I would
Needed better management
Dog Bather/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 8, 2019
I was supposed to have training for 2 months but the manager didn’t care about teaching me. I was ignored and didn’t learn any grooming or bathing techniques until my 3 month. I was scolded for not having any clients when none of the other groomers would share. All the groomers left because of drama.
Stressful and overwhelming because of lack of store sales = lack of hours given
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 8, 2019
A very stressful work environment where you have to juggle customer service and animal care. It's hard to remember something you have to do once a customer takes your attention for 20 minutes to an hour. Constantly battling with the manager for sound communication and understanding of work load. Always rushed and still reprimanded for not being done in time even though I'm working as 3 people at once. Literally running from department to department because of lack of employees, and hours on our payroll.
It's okay
Guest Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJuly 8, 2019
I like the communication with customers and managers. It is fast paced. From time to time, you do bud heads with frustrating customers on the daily. But it's a good starter job.
Very good place to work
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJuly 7, 2019
I really liked my job. Sometimes it got a little stressful but the best part was seeing customers that keep coming back “regulars” being able to know what they need and why they need those things.
It was a nice experience for my first job
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stonecrest Hills, MDJuly 6, 2019
Had the chance to work with many different employees and get to learn new skills and Ides.Working with the many different animal's was also an exciting experience being an animal lover myself.
Terrible management with tons of drama filled employees
Guest Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 6, 2019
I have not worked in retail in quite some time so I honestly didn't know what I was getting in to. The employees, especially some of the managers were extremely rude, deceptive, and manipulative. Drama was everywhere you turned. Gossip would be spread around and the store manager did not hold anyone accountable. It seemed there were clics that formed in the store and if you weren't part of these groups you were cast out and treated very poorly. The store manager consistently lied to employees regarding, raises, pay amount, promotion potential. The "Pet Coach" was a horrible girl who caused a lot of tension among the staff. She was disrespectful to management and rude to guests and staff. All this information was brushed under the table by the store manager and when asked to be relocated, the request was denied. 3 people within the past 3 months have left the location due to the hostile work environment.

I'm not sure if all stores are like this, but the Highlands Ranch, CO store is definitely NOT a place I would recommend working at.
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJuly 5, 2019
fantastic work enviornment. this is the pinnacle of pet retail brands. you can look other places but they just don't have the pinache of what a truly well ran petco can.
Not worth it...
Groomer/Bather (Former Employee) –  California, MDJuly 5, 2019
Get your training elsewhere as well as your animals!............... They hire anyone though...........do not expect anyone to remember yoyr name.......
awesome job, but lack of payroll per day.
Companion Animal Leader (Current Employee) –  Waite Park, MNJuly 5, 2019
I love my job! I hate that we don’t get very many hours to schedule people. There are many tasks and animal care maintenance that have to be completed on a daily basis. They’re extremely hard to complete when you are also the only one trying to cover the sales floor. Sometimes there’s only 2-3 people working per shift. We need at least 4-5 to function properly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight