Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,143 reviews matching the search See all 4,294 reviews
Perpetually understaffed
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 1, 2019
Perpetually understaffed stores where upper management is constantly demanding more and more tasks for retail employees to complete, while cutting hours and inventory periodically in order to help the bottom line.
AN ok place.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHJuly 1, 2019
I was new and treated like an outsider. Little to no interaction from other employees while they stuck me on the register for my whole 8-hour shift. Felt odd, like I was interrupting their social hour.
Pros
Animals, free dog training cirriculum
Cons
No benefits, not enough pay, too many hours, understaffed
its ok ii guess
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 1, 2019
it was a good first job. i wouldn't say that it was the best job the management really slacked and wasn't really useful of needed for the employees in that location.
Fun Environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 30, 2019
I loved working her for around 4 years, then they started making changes to their job titles. I was relocated and was driving 5 hours a day to and from work. I was assigned there and they would not let me go back to a store closer. I was moved 5 times.
The Company cares more about numbers than people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 30, 2019
PetCo is a corporation first and foremost. They routinely emphasize pushing sales to it's employees but tell the customers that the animals come first. They don't. Money does. The store manager at the Corpus Christi location is petty, passive aggressive, and lazy. The only training available is web based with no follow up from management. So if your not good at figuring things out on your own you will fail until the store manager tires of you and reduces your hours until you quit. Communication is haphazard at best.
Pros
Some great people to work with, generous time off, flexible schedule
Cons
Lazy, inexperienced, and inept management, poor communication, no cohesion within management teams
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2019
I loved working here I got benefits and more the discounts are amazing! Fun environment it’s not stressful like petsmart but I wanted to grow more as a groomer!
Guest Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  National City, CAJune 30, 2019
I enjoyed working here and taking care of the animals. I would recommend anyone to work here who loves animals. The company really cares about educating employees.
Working with Animals
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 30, 2019
This is a great place to start if you're not sure how to get started with animals but want to get experience. Usually a fair place for consistent work.
Only thing that's worth it is the discount
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  MaineJune 29, 2019
I worked for petco for a year they paid for my grooming training. During that time I was overworked, mistreated, discriminated against, and pushed to the limit of my physical and mental health. The manager of the store was awful and only cared about numbers. They made me work double shifts during christmas when I had a lung infection, happy holidays. Reached my limit when the salon leader broke me down to tears and vomiting, so I walked out. Don't waste your time here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management, complaints are ignored, discrimination, overworking
Please help at the store and Associate Level
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Front Royal, VAJune 29, 2019
After being given a leadership role, not only was I Not provided adequate training I was also not provided with any resources to not only perform but exceed my goal. I was given no access to reports or any other information that pertained not only to my position but my department in general. As a previous leader at other establishments I not only brought these problems up to my immediate leaders but also district leaders all being received with a nonchalant attitude as if they could care less as long as our bottom line is being met, whether at the price of animal care or that of the staff on duty, often overworking and understaffing while not adequately accommodating staff.
Really great place to work!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richland, PAJune 29, 2019
No mater what position you are in at petco you will talk with nice people and see all kinds if pets. Working with animals and helping their owners lurn and help care for their pet is one of the best jobs i can imagine.
Great job but salaries need to fit the job the experience. People need to live.
Animal Manager, Aquatic Specialists (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2019
More diversity in employees and management.
Work on making changes in diversity for all people. Have Directors Check on upper Management by asking the employees there concerns of a safe and health environment to work and feel proud of there work they complete.
Pros
Specialists in there field in Fish, Dogs or Small Animals.
Cons
Management, need to have more experience in management. Better people skills
Really nice company just needs more help and a little more organization
Grooming Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2019
A typical day at work would me coming in and greeting everyone and clocking in going to the office to get the paperwork. setting up the salon and filing paperwork before the customers come in. check in the customers and their pets and socialize with my other teammates, the hardest part about work is the customers, you never know who you're going to get. Most are sweet but you have that handful who just are not satisfied with anything you do unless its free. I love to see the smiling faces of my co-workers it brings me a lot of joy
Productive, fast paced environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 28, 2019
Great company to work for, I manage a great group of people. We stay very productive on store standards, cleanliness and keeping product on the the shelves.
Highs and Lows of working there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rib Mountain, WIJune 27, 2019
A very good place to work, the manager that wrote the time schedules didn't really pay attention for the days you asked off or if you have church at a certain time and could come in after. The main manager in my opinion should have a schedule for people to clean the bathrooms because, most people wouldn't do them except for the groomers and some of the sales floor people. It was a very nice job to work at, people are very friendly and caring.
Great Team
Guest Experience Specialist- Caring (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJune 27, 2019
I was easily integrated into the staff team as everyone was friendly and willing to explain things to me. The store manager was very supportive and helped me when I felt I needed it.
Working with animals and reptiles is fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDJune 27, 2019
It's all fun till you get a middle manager who is lazy. Been their for a year and have not advanced or gotten a raise.

Over all the experience I gained was nice
Pros
Reptiles and animald
Cons
Company attracted the worse managers
Don’t work here if you love animals.
Companion Animal Leader (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJune 27, 2019
If you have a store leader that treats Petco policy like the words of God but then ignores policy in other areas you get super burnt out. By the time I quit I literally dreaded going into work because of all of the unnecessary negative energy put off by some managers. I was the Companion Animal Leader for our store which was fun for a while until we got a store leader that only cared about sales. She also treated customers with disrespect and chased a lot of good regulars away but was still praised by our DM. They didn’t care about their employees and you’re underpaid for the amount of stuff you’re expected to do. And in my case was singled out and bullied by our store leader until I just quit.
Good place to learn grooming
Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJune 26, 2019
Commission pay in grooming salon. Fast pace working environment. Phone and computer skills required. Must love dogs and be able to handle them in stressful situations.
Great place to work, wonderful customers and management.
Greeter/Stock Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 26, 2019
I got to work with really friendly customers and my manager was very friendly and very patient as well. Always was considerate and wanted nothing but the best for me. Enjoyed his job and checked up with me and his customers frequently.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight