Petco Employee Reviews

Found 4,161 reviews matching the search See all 4,314 reviews
No real chance of advancement
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  SouthJune 25, 2019
Was really excited for the changes the company was making only to find the glitter and promises were a distraction while they snuck in mangers from other companies to replace us with. New higher management wants to replace all existing staff with people they knew in previous jobs. Regardless of how good you are or how much you loved you job. Regardless of your sales growth surpassing other stores and company goals. Good luck with those sales now.
Great place to START
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAJune 25, 2019
I would recommend Petco as a place to work for young people who are looking to work with animals but need to gain experience, knowledge, and skills. Get what you can from your time there, then get out cause you'll never earn what you'll (eventually) be worth there...
Productive, great management, relaxed atmosphere, busy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 25, 2019
Always busy with quick Paced and relaxer tasks. Great hours and great management, got desired hours for the week. Benefits lack, and working for better pay or higher status in work environment deemed almost too difficult.
Good advancement opportunities.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAJune 25, 2019
If you love animals this is a great place to work. You can move up if you desire as there is growth. Pet customers are a different breed so you have to have patience and a thick skin.
Maybe it’s this specific petco but grooming apprentice is an underpaid grooming assistant job. Valued at $16-$17 but getting paid $12 along.
Grooming salon apprentice (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, NYJune 25, 2019
Maybe it’s this specific petco but grooming apprentice is an underpaid grooming assistant job. Valued at $16-$17 but getting paid $12 along side a fake promise of getting sent for more training to be an actual groomer. If they told me we need your help and you can stay here for a couple months but get paid more then it would be fine but that’s not the case.
Pros
Nothing, maybe experience but that’s all jobs.
Cons
No training to do the actual job. Work to pay ratio.
Fun place to work
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Eureka, CAJune 24, 2019
Great environment to work in. The company strives for pet care and pet nutrition standards. Management varies by store widely. Great employee discounts, but the pay is not competitive.
Very unorganized inconsistent company
Cherry Picker Operator (Current Employee) –  Braselton, GAJune 24, 2019
A lot of favoritism, no structure with hours. Shifts starting @4am and can end by 8-9am just not worth the time or energy. Just a very inconsistent company
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Low or no chance for advancement and inconsistent hours
Horrible Leadership, Unless you are buddy / buddy with them.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 24, 2019
Petco is an awful place to work, I was discriminated because of my gender and for my thoughts and beliefs from day 1. Was not respected by leadership, even though I did my job as well if not better than anyone on the team. (TESTED::: I turned in a project and it was scrutinized, tore apart, and I was tore down for it, the next week I put another team member's name on the project with 0 changes and turned it in and leadership said it was flawless, ) I was so disgusted with the company within 6 months that my spirit was broken, I turned into a mindless robot just there to do my job and go home, so I was called in by leadership where I was told i should be medicated..... WHAT? are you kidding me?, they got nerve i give them that. I did everything i could do to hold on, but i was literally getting stomach ulcers from this place. i feel 10 years younger and a lot healthier/happier after leaving Petco... Best day of my life was the day i put in my notice that i was leaving!
I love my job and my co workers are the best
Merchandising ops specialist (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJune 24, 2019
Awesome place to work. I have the best manager and best co workers ive ever had at a job. My manager is very flexible with scheduling. And I love taking care of the animals everyday
Sexism in work place
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 23, 2019
Some upper management is sexist. The job is a good challenge but be prepared to be irritated at how wrongdoings are handled. If you are trying to ride on someone else's shoulders they will allow that.
Easy job not that hard
Intern (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJune 23, 2019
I really like that job bc most of the time I would finish and it was pretty easy and not that hard to do . The people where very nice help me a lot . Also not that much people go in petco so u can easily get thinks done.
Retail, on steroids.
Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 23, 2019
I have been waiting for the day to be able to leave a job review on Petco. I used to come into Petco as a customer and was decently impressed with the quality of fish. However, my life had a major turn and I ended up working at Petco to make ends meet. Generally, I can’t say it’s the worst job in the world to have but it’s not very good either. Petco along with other retailers, I’m sure, are notorious for minimizing staff while maximizing profit whilst still expecting the same amount of work to get done. I’ve worked at 3 different stores, each store having a different negative experience than the first. The first stores experience, I was hired on as aquatics specialist because I had a great deal of knowledge on fish. They would not let me work aquatics very often and kept me on register, yet, would fuss at me because gravel vacuums and algae scrubs needed to get done. My second experience and where I worked the longest was probably the best out of all 3 places. I was bringing that store about 2,000 dollars a week in fish sales. The general manager had an obsession with wanting to become what’s called a “magnet store”. They would order fish and expect me to calibrate and make work what they ordered. Needless to say they ordered about 36 new skus of fish, not 36 fish, 36 skus of about 20 fish per sku, along with the planogram fish. Then they fussed at me for putting fish that were semi compatible together and ended up dying due to their aggression but was doing the best that I could In the situation. Once the magnet store situation came to a head the freshwater systems crashed  more... from the GM ordering so many fish. The stores shrink (inventory loss) was over 100% and who got the blame for that? Me. Even though I stopped ordering fish all together to compensate the fish the GM was ordering. The GM also didn’t know much about fish and only really cared about the sales. I have trained people at 2 other stores without any pay increase except mileage. The district manager for some reason really liked me and so offered to give me a one dollar raise if I transferred to a nearby store to rescue their aquatics department and buff it up. I did that, however, checking a recent paystub I was still not given a raise and that information was relayed to me over a month ago. Speaking of district managers, general store managers are scared to death of animal walks and audits by district managers. They want us to clean, clean, clean. Sometimes neglecting the animals to make the store clean. I’m really heavy on water quality and not so much looks and even if the fish are swimming around great and there’s a spot of algae or detritus at the bottom of the tank I get fussed at for that. Im guessing it’s still better than petsmart from customer information. Considering at one store I turned around sales 120% while bringing in sales at 2,000 a week at another store 3 hours away it seems in their best interest that they would want to keep me, if I wasn’t going on to something else. Once I leave in just a few weeks, if I get Into a rough patch again I will never consider working at Petco, ever.  less
Pros
Decent PTO, better than petsmart
Cons
See the explanations above.
Petco, where the customer comes before everything else, even logic.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSJune 23, 2019
I thought I’d like my position at Petco. Who doesn’t want to work with animals, after all? However, Petco has shown me that they care more about the money than the animals or people working for them. The equipment is outdated, ill pets and feeder animals are allowed to stay ill, unless they cost more to buy. We had an epidemic amongst our mice, and no one did anything about all the dying animals. They only separated some of the ill ones and still sold them even if they were potentially ill. No vet involvement whatsoever. The animals are constantly overcrowded in their cages, making them visibly uncomfortable. On top of that, many times, customers who know nothing about the animal they’re taking home are still allowed to buy them, even when they’ve not bought the proper supplies. Petco cares more about profits than the animals they say they care for.
Half of management at this store cares deeply for the animals, but the other half allows the rest of the junk to go on! It’s sad.
Pros
Nice coworkers, flexible schedule, okay pay
Cons
Incompetent upper management, ignorant customers
Petco Volunteer Town Cats Program
Town Cats Volunteer - Kitten Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 22, 2019
Really fun and soothing environment to volunteer in. I had fun caring for the kittens and it was good to decompress from a stressful day after school.
Good place for a college student to work
Assistant Manager/Merchandise Operator (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJune 22, 2019
A good place to work if you are a student or if you are looking for a place to work part-time to help make ends meet. It is a pretty relaxed atmosphere.
Don’t take a job here
Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Quad CitiesJune 22, 2019
Benefits are awful hardly anything covered before meet ductable. There no regularity to your schedule. A lot weekend hours. I’m not given enough time in the department I was hired to do. They stick you on register even though you have a department to work in. half the staff and management don’t care about animals at all it’s awful. There a certain manager that is very unprofessional and disrespect likes to make certain staff miserable. Some coworker are nice but some are very unprofessional and disrespectful. A lot of favoritism though out the store. Then general manager is decent. Yo’ll Loss hours about half the time due to budget issues. I’d recommend staying away from petco for a job it is a very stressful unpleasant place to work.rude..
Pros
Pleasant customers, store discount, animals, some coworker are nice
Cons
Awful benefits, disrespectful coworkers, some poor management
Full of adventure and new experiences
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92508June 20, 2019
I enjoyed getting to meet all kinds of new people and pets. The management was very professional and personable for new and old employees. I love for pets I'd definitely a must.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Mixed hours
regular job, regular break room, regular coworkers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ranson, WVJune 19, 2019
regular everything.
The customers were ok 90% of the time except for the regular inbred idiots that came in from the local area. Some people just simply can not be helped.
Pet store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXJune 19, 2019
I had a great store manager and coworkers when I worked here. This was my second job and I loved learning about animals and working with great people.
You might get luck.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2019
I loved Petco, customers were great! However, management was horrible. The General Manager had horrible management. The shift leaders thought they were better than you. No one walked what they talked. I feel sometimes Petco doesn't know how to hire their management.
Pros
Laid back
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight