Petco Employee Reviews

Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAMarch 13, 2018
I enjoyed working and tending to animals. Great management and co-workers. I easily was placed in different departments. Sundays are the most relaxed days during the weeks.
It sucks
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDMarch 13, 2018
I did not like working with the people that worked here at the time. The environment was uncomfortable. The management was not always there when they needed to be.
Pros
good customers
Cons
co workers
Horrible and Chaotic
Guest Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 10, 2018
The store is always a mess, the floors in the back are disgusting, people don't clean up or put things away as they should so things are always in the wrong places, half the prices aren't right and the Med Room for sick animals is beyond gross. Managers can't seem to be on the same page, they gossip about each other to employees, half of them are trying to get the others fired, communication is horrible. There is almost never time to do computer training yet they flip when you don't have it done.
Being able to help people work with their pets, to help educate people about animals, their behaviors and how to react to them is the best. Knowing you helped lower their stress and probably kept another animal from being put in a shelter is a good feeling.
Pros
Simple job for the pay. See cute animals .
Cons
Management.
good job low pay
Aquatic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMarch 9, 2018
Great group of people to work with, just the pay was very low. The pay is understandable because there in not a lot to do in your assigned department.
Pros
pet lover people
Cons
low pay
friendly and constuctive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Santa AnaMarch 8, 2018
My work day would start after school and it would be a very fast pace environment. I would learn how to feed the fish, clean their tanks then, I would get crickets for the reptiles, also I would unload and load the trucks, finally my last part of the shift would to clean the bathrooms and stock the shelves. I would also get he carts outside the store.
Pros
getting paid
Cons
one break, and crickets
Retail jobs all suck
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NebraskaMarch 8, 2018
Assistant manager was rude. General manager was never to be found. I think I met him once. Retail is retail. Stocked shelves and cashiered. Regular expired coupon Fiasco's, but being an animal supply store, you cleaned up a lot more doody. However. Animal care is strict there in regards to if you see something isn't right with an animals enclosure, you cannot change it. Headquarters has it that way on purpose, even if you know it will end that animal. Hours were pretty well set. Taking time off was pretty easy
Pros
Playing with customers pets
Cons
The usual retail hate
Pay is eh and management was bad.
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  NVMarch 8, 2018
I started petco 5 years ago. It was great when i started but we got bought out a couple years ago and its just been down hill. They changed the grooming pay from commission to incentive payment. I have to work even harder then i had to for less pay, pretty much. If you just start here it decent pay but bc i been here before the change, its hard to let that go. Since we've been bought out, it seems the company care more about making a profit then the animals and their employees. They have little staff because the company doesn't give stores alot of hrs. The floor is left with a manager and a cashier at night. Its stressful for everyone groomers included. The managment isnt the best either. If you are not in the in they dont care. Some even try to sabotage others and throw you under the bus. Plus side they do pay for your training as a groomer. I do like some of my coworkers to. I do hope petco can go back to the way it was but i don't see that happening anytime soon.
Pros
Trained for a trade, some coworkers, pto
Cons
Everything else
petco workplace
Groomer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MAMarch 7, 2018
management could do better. policys only applicable When manger feels like it. the way they run the salon is not the best. customer interactions could be better.
Pros
getting to book own day
Cons
bad management
Decent job
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMarch 7, 2018
Long hours, cut-throat initiatives, lack of HR involvement between executive and middle management.

Great opportunities to work with non profit animal welfare organizations. Large team efforts in stores with proper management.

Issue arises between executive and middle management.
Pros
Great Benefits, Ability to help non-profit animal welfare organizations
Cons
High level Micro-management, lack of HR involvement
Good place to work, if you work with the right peopls
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 7, 2018
Working of the floor is nice. You get to learn how to take care of animals and cashiering isn't that hard. The customers can be very testing on your patience since they sometimes don't care if they are putting there animals in danger or they don't want to learn the proper caring methods for there pets. Management can be both good and bad. Same goes for the coworkers.
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Customers
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 6, 2018
Google LLC is an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products, which include online advertising technologies, search engine, cloud computing, software, and hardware.
Steep learning curve
Companion Animal Leader, Aquatics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHMarch 6, 2018
Management can really make or break your experience. Procedures change frequently. It is a steep learning curve when you first start, but typically gets better as you figure out what you are supposed to do.
Not just because I love pets.
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMarch 5, 2018
I always enjoyed working for Petco retail. The company typically was easy to work for, and not the typical corporate america mentality. They did care about their employee, if they only didn't have to pay them. Pay was minimal. Advancement in the retail was left for the most ambitious, or the meanest. I grew over the number of years, through guidance of co workers, and management.
Fun but the management can be bad
Companion Animal Manager (Current Employee) –  Easton, OHMarch 4, 2018
Since the first day I started working there, every employee keep complaining and threatening to leave. There is a crazy amount of turnover because no one wants to stay. That said, I love my job there. What my position is, is great for me. However, other employees have terrible attitudes and management gets away with not doing work at all. They always delegate everything, At the location I'm at, there is quite a lot of favoritism.
It’s okay
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXMarch 4, 2018
All I can say is it’s an okay job. Nothing amazing about it, the animals are great, the costumers are great. You just got to find the right people or it sucks.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
People
Easy-Going
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2018
I worked at PetCo for 2 years. They were a fairly laid back company that was, for the most part, fun to work for. I learned a lot about the foods we feed our animals in particular.

I really enjoyed the folks I worked with. I worked two different locations and both locations had an awesome crew. Management was always easy-going. Although the work could be tough especially on truck day management at both locations never made me feel pressured or overwhelmed.

The hours can vary from store to store. The first location I worked at I got 40 hours a week consistently. The second store would bounce from 40 hours to 9 hours real quick.
Pros
Discounts. Pay per hour
Cons
Hours. You won't move up super quick
Poor management styles, very unprofessional
Grooming Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MOMarch 3, 2018
The Grandview, MO Petco has gone through a large series of managers, the latest of which is a juvenile pretending to be an adult. She refuses to talk to her employees, except through texting, which is against Petco policy. She never is out on the floor, but always sitting in the office, watching the goings-on in the store on camera. She has lied to most, if not all, of the employees about each one's status and potential to promote or change positions inside the store. She has made up stories on multiple employees to make herself look better in the eyes of the district manager. She has made the store a very non-productive and belligerent environment in which to work. The district manager is continually trying to get "friendly" with the female employees, and seems to only want to hire similar people to the Grandview manager, based solely on looks and flirtations. The new "norm" for hiring new managers in the Kansas City Petco district, seems to now be hiring people as managers, who have been fired from multiple jobs, or having worked multiple jobs in a short time period. This new attitude promotes poor communication and a non-productive work environment, with a lot of tension created by an inexperienced manager. This leads to a lack of training, and a very hostile work environment.
Pros
work with animals
Cons
high tension, hostile environment, poor management
Relaxed but quick paced environment
Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Delafield, WIMarch 3, 2018
Petco was a nice place to work loving animals and being able to help the customers and their pets that walked through those doors. Everyone I worked with was pretty friendly and I really didn't have any complaints towards working there.
Great for going to School
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMarch 3, 2018
I was hired for grooming I wasn't trained in time before starting school so I had to work the sales floor. It was great just a little slow for me. They worked with my school schedule but management was harsh for taking time off. One manager would approve time off and the other manager would say you can't take vacation or you would be let go.
Pros
Animals
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 2, 2018
Fast paced work environment. Need to be able to mutli task and handle stress effeciently. A lot of growing possibilities from department to department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petco. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight