Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company

Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company Employee Reviews

Good Could Be Better
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 1, 2018
Great Pay Ok Benefits Could Be Better, Some Days It Could Get Busy But Overall Its All In A Days Work, Lots Of Overtime, And A lot Of Room For Advancement
Pros
Great Pay, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Need A Overhaul
Enjoyed working for the company itself.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 14, 2018
Have a great deal of respect and pride working for this company. Have, however, had problems with my immediate supervisor. Have gone through appropriate channels to report circumstances.
Fast paste
Package Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 12, 2018
Poor management & high stress, they lie about pay they only give you 13.39$ to start and you have to advance to get more but they don’t want you to advance because they don’t want to pay you more. BEACUSE the less the staff gets the more the supervisor gets in his bonus.
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
Management, stress, pay.
Official response from Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company
August 19, 2018

Our pay rates vary from site to site and are based on our customer contracts, the job duties and responsibilities of the position, and the employee’s level of experience/competence at hire and follow-up performance reviews. Our supervisors are evaluated and compensated based on operating performance measures that include safety and environmental protection, employee retention and development, customer satisfaction, and integrity. Their pay is not impacted in any way by increases for the employees that report to them. We devote considerable resources to employee training and development and are proud of the track record we have for helping our employees grow and advance in their careers. In fact, many of our current company leaders started out in entry-level positions.

PVC Foreman Loader (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAAugust 7, 2018
Love my job, very easy place to work. Definitely changed my life. I’ve never worked at such a laid back place that offers great benefits and a comfortable wage to support a mortgage and kids.
Awesome upper management and an overall great place to work
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 5, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for. They are very family (and pet) oriented. They are willing to work with you and your schedule when needed. I have yet to come to work anxious/worried/stressed. It is very rare to have a work environment this positive. I have yet to experience or hear about any co-worker disputes or disagreements. Everyone seems to get along really well.
Upper management is awesome, they are very fun and willing to listen to any ideas for improvements or any concerns you may have. Overall this company has your best interest at heart, and want you to succeed and enjoy working while you do.
Do not go to the Mt.Belvieu location
Operator (Current Employee) –  Mt.BelvieuAugust 4, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for however Mt.Belvieu plastics plant is the worst site to work for if your looking for opportunities for advancement the only way you will move up at this site is if you know the higher up management I have seen unqualified people take the place of qualified management without ever stepping a foot in a plant due to the fact of them knowing upper management. You will not be able to transfer to another facility unless you know upper management. And I have even witness a employee who got injured horseplaying receive a promotion because of who they knew. If you don't know anyone you will not advance at this site within the company.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity
Great job to learn
Loader/Switching (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 3, 2018
Good secure job.Work and home is almost balanced.Great teamwork and supervisors all are ggod people to work under.The only issues we have is we miss alot of cost of living raises, waiting right now for cost of living increase. SGS do not just increase paid until the plant give it to the company.Over all great company to work for, but new employees do not stay long.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Out dated pay/each year not sure about cost of living increase
Chemical Operator
Chemical Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 3, 2018
Shipping and receiving all chemicals.
Work with CSR and Plant manager to make sure shipments were ready for shipment.
Writing permits for maintenance
Have TWIC Card
Excellent culture and great management
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJuly 20, 2018
Overall, the management has your back 100%. They are willing to work with you through any problems you may have. They look out for the employees and advance people if they are worthy of it.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Pulling teeth to get simple help
Dockman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 13, 2018
This place drove me crazy! Its only one team lead who actually does his job these other guys leave all the work for him. It's no teamwork mentality its every man for himself. The upper management lies about pay raises and cant answers simple questions. They will cut off their pinky finger before you get overtime. Absolutely no opportunity to get ahead or even break even. Compared to other companies we get paid pennies. I want to go to corporate headquarters in Baton Rouge and show them how poorly they treat there workers. When asked for change the shift supervisor gold a group of us we can leave because he always has applicates.
Pros
Non
Official response from Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company
July 23, 2018

We take very seriously all comments related to the treatment of our employees and problems with supervision, and we’d like to get some more information from you so that we can look into the concerns you’ve raised. Please call our HR Director at (225) 343-8262.

typical job with sgs
Loader (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 11, 2018
My duties were to load all hopper railcars with pvc powder in a safe & timely manner. We also weighed railcars for proper loading guidelines for safety standards.
Pros
Balanced work time with texas swing shift
Cons
maybe required to work a lot of overtime when turnover ratio picks up at spur of moment
Productive work place
Process Loading Operator (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 7, 2018
My responsibility was loading per schedule it was a fast pace job little breaks also stressful at times trying to meet company target and got very little advice from the supervisor in charge.
Pros
No lunch eat when you can
Cons
Very short breaks.
Security
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 7, 2018
Work life balance is great. The actual work is easy. The work culture is different but okay. The company values its employees and takes care of them. There aren't enough vacation days but most managers are willing to work with you. overall its a good company
Not so bad place to work good benefits
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Donaldsonville, LAJune 26, 2018
Not so bad of a place to work. The company had good benefits. Pretty laid back job most of the time. The higher up people will be quick to throw you under the bus to cover themselves.
Contract work
Engineer/Railcar Switchman/Leadman (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJune 19, 2018
If you ever worked in a plant as a contractor you would know what to expect. Pay not as good as operators. They treat you like you owe them and that yo should be honored to be treated as such.
Pros
Its a consistent job
Cons
Its a terrible place to be
Lack of management skills and not enough money for responsibility
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 15, 2018
A lot of micro managing. Can't work without looking over your back. Management lies to your face just to keep you satisfied. They start the on call shift higher in pay than the shift personnel. When the shift personnel are qualified at all dock and are the ones training new on call group. How do you think that makes everyone feel when you have a well qualified dock operator training a newbie whose getting paid more???? But other than that the shift lead and workers were great to work with and we built a bond within our shift something SGS failed to do as a whole company.
Pros
My shift and knowledge
Cons
Management and Pay scale
Cut throat and the buddy system is alive and well.
Locomotive Engineer/Swichman (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 8, 2018
Do your job as safety and efficiently as possible. Never takes shortcuts in anything you do 100% percents of the times. Treat everyday like its your first day on duty.
Pros
Sometimes you get really longs breaks/lunches
Great Company, Horrible Management - Exxon Plastics Plant Mont. Belvieu
Mont. Belvieu - P&S Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXJune 7, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for, just not at the Mont Belvieu plant, the Management needs a overhaul its so bad they cant keep employees from leaving we get a new batch of recruits from time to time. If you want to transfer to a better position out of the plant good luck it wont happen even if you are the most qualified person for the job.
Overly a poorly managed industry
Disgruntled employee (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 5, 2018
I cannot go into great detail on my situation because I am still a current employee. The main take-away is that the current state of the industry is that the vendors are looking to catch any mistake that you may make. Likely, their benefit to this is to use that as leverage to get a lower rate from PSC. Some of the tankerman have been banned from barge owners for the most ridiculous of reasons or a madeup reason all together. Those that have been 'banned' lose their 'guarantee of 80 hours per two weeks' and lose the amount of hours that they can be called out to. Thus, tankerman that may normally work 50+ hours may only be called out to 25+ hours per week.
So, people that go into this position through the $14,000 school could soon graduate and be banned shortly there after.

It is not worth the price of the school to become a victim to the whims of large corporations.
Pros
Possible good pay
Cons
zero tolerance for even preceived mistakes
challenging
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 4, 2018
management could be better, schedule not very good job is good for a single man, do not get raises on time or for advancing until yearly review, industry is fine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company. Our community is ready to answer.