Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company

Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company Employee Reviews

Cut throat and the buddy system is alive and well.
Locomotive Engineer/Swichman (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 8, 2018
Do your job as safety and efficiently as possible. Never takes shortcuts in anything you do 100% percents of the times. Treat everyday like its your first day on duty.
Pros
Sometimes you get really longs breaks/lunches
Great Company, Horrible Management - Exxon Plastics Plant Mont. Belvieu
Mont. Belvieu - P&S Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXJune 7, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for, just not at the Mont Belvieu plant, the Management needs a overhaul its so bad they cant keep employees from leaving we get a new batch of recruits from time to time. If you want to transfer to a better position out of the plant good luck it wont happen even if you are the most qualified person for the job.
Overly a poorly managed industry
Disgruntled employee (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 5, 2018
I cannot go into great detail on my situation because I am still a current employee. The main take-away is that the current state of the industry is that the vendors are looking to catch any mistake that you may make. Likely, their benefit to this is to use that as leverage to get a lower rate from PSC. Some of the tankerman have been banned from barge owners for the most ridiculous of reasons or a madeup reason all together. Those that have been 'banned' lose their 'guarantee of 80 hours per two weeks' and lose the amount of hours that they can be called out to. Thus, tankerman that may normally work 50+ hours may only be called out to 25+ hours per week.
So, people that go into this position through the $14,000 school could soon graduate and be banned shortly there after.

It is not worth the price of the school to become a victim to the whims of large corporations.
Pros
Possible good pay
Cons
zero tolerance for even preceived mistakes
challenging
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 4, 2018
management could be better, schedule not very good job is good for a single man, do not get raises on time or for advancing until yearly review, industry is fine.
Great place to work.
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 23, 2018
Always had lots of OT. Pay was decent but not great. If you were open with the management they took care of you. Always have job security. Management was always open to New Opportunities if they ever were presented. Worked with some of the best coworkers I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Decent pay, OT Available, Good Management, Awesome benefits
Cons
Sometimes to much OT.
No advancement opportunity
Safety and Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMay 15, 2018
Worked there for three years, had ONE pay raise of a dollar and gave so much working for free to be a better person for the company. Management was all "YES MEN" or lazy or a control freak and micro managed everyone.
Great Leadership and great Employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2018
SGS is a great company to work for. It has great leadership and I enjoy working with and leading my employees that work under me. I would recommend PSC to anyone seeking to gain experience in the chemical industry.
Pros
Great leadership and great employees
Horrible!
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAMay 3, 2018
Worked as warehouse tech at Dow plant in Plaquemine. Worst job ever! You work 13-15 hours a day, with a 30 minute lunch (if lucky) after you’re already 10 hours in the shift. They force you to work on your off days because they didn’t hire enough people to properly run a shift. Supervision is horrible as well. All in all, I wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Extremely short breaks, long hours, forced overtime.
very good job
Loader/Lead Switchman (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 6, 2018
I love my time that I work for sgs. it wasn't just a job it was like I was working for family may 22 2018 would have been 6 year that I would have been apart of a vey great family.
Great for entry level work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 20, 2018
Great job to get experience from. Learn many different things such as: operating forklift, cleaning lines. Also always count on having some type of overtime.
Accounting
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 13, 2018
This is a high paced job. Very detailed oriented. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the daily mail. This job allowed me to implement better purchasing and payment procedures
Pros
Team building exercises
Cons
short breaks
Okay Company to work for except benefits, salary, & paid time off are horrible.
Dock Operator (Current Employee) –  Convent, LAMarch 10, 2018
If salary and benefits where better this would be a great company to work for. Minimal safety awards are given for having an excellent safety record. Also within the first 3 year you only get 3 days of paid time off.
Pros
Decent amount of time off
Cons
Salary and benefits could be a lot better.
Typical Plant
Operator (Former Employee) –  Institute, WVMarch 8, 2018
Overall a decent experience and good co-workers. Decent hours. I liked the work that I had to do. Safety seemed to be upheld. Management left a lot to be desired at times.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Management could be difficult
not a bad place
Contractor for Axeon Asphalt Refinery (Former Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJMarch 4, 2018
It was outside in all elements. Cold and heat, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Very stressful job and the training wasn't very good. Management wasn't very good either. Did not fight for us when our contract was suddenly taken away.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Bad Management and working conditions
On call- Dock operator.
On call dock operator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 2, 2018
This was the worst job I had in my life. They don’t tell you that you never have a schedule until orientation and you already put your 2 weeks in at your old job. I was suppose to be full-time but was getting 28hrs a week for 2 whole months. Then when I tried to switch positions to get a real schedule guarantee 40hrs a week the manager did everything to stop it. The pay is weak for that department as well. They all lie to get you to be a number. Then certain people go certain places so it’s like a pick and choose who you have to kiss up too. Horrible experience I’ll never in my life be fooled like that again.
Pros
Laid back job
Cons
Management, pay, no hours, can’t even live off that job.
Lead Man
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2018
Good place to get your excperience overall good people to work with. Just depends on your work group and who your direct manager is. Some managers work to help and train employees the correct company way, while others could care less.... Dock group manager could careless about his employees and believes 9-10 guys wont be there in 6 months so why bother.... his own words! While other departments are more hands on and helpful.
Cons
low pay, horrible health care
Productive. Hard working group.
Dock Operator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 19, 2018
Good work place environment. Getting to spend time with family. Gained knowledge while working here. Gained more of an understanding of the oil industry as a whole. Allowing me to push myself for something better.
Pros
Knowledge, work ethic.
Cons
Pay stopped at 19.50. Not enough hours.
decent place
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 14, 2018
SGS is a decent company to work for if you are trying to get into the oil and gas industry. Just do your job properly, be safe, and you should not have any problems.
Challenging Job, Bad Schedule
Product Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 14, 2018
I enjoyed the work but didn't like working the rotating shift schedule of days and nights, weekends and holidays. Management was fair but needs improvement. Compensation could have been better but wasn't terrible.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Senior Co-Workers don't show newcomers any respect
Keep Looking
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Low pay for what we have to deal with. Supervisors talks in riddles, never gives a direct answer. Very, very poor communication. You come to work and 2 hours before your shift ends, you find out the procedure for the task you’ve been doing all along has changed and no one let you know.

It’s supposed to be shift work, but who knows how the schedule will play out week to week. Coworkers are great, it’s about the only thing that keeps the morale pretty positive during the work day. This job has a lot of “hurry up and wait” situations.

Favoritism plays a big role in this company as well. Certain workers are granted longer hours and more days while others are not allowed to come in early or stay late to gain a few extra hours. The only way to get taken care of out here (whether you work hard or not) is to brown-nose. If you don’t, well good luck. Hard work is not noticed. There is absolutely no opportunity for advancement.

Overall this job only provides a stepping stone into a better paying job with people who actually know what they’re doing.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Always being rushed, low pay, favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company. Our community is ready to answer.