Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company Employee Reviews

Featured review
Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company selected this as a representative review
Great company
Equipment Operator Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LADecember 6, 2018
Great company to work for! Very competitive, advancements are there for a young passionate individual. Very laid back culture! Very important too keep moral high
Pros
Overtime
Slow paced work environment
Lead dock operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 14, 2019
Was a good place to work learned how to manage employees, as a shift lead here was responsible for making sure all docks An facilities were in running order as per company an USCG regulations
Great company
Loader/Unloader- XY (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 21, 2019
This was is a good company to work for if you are a someone willing to work late. Their is room for advancement if your will to ng to work to that position. Great schedule and good people to work with love.
Pros
Great loading supervisor
Cons
Low paying site
Don’t get paid enough to get cold and wet at the same time.
Washrack operator (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXFebruary 20, 2019
Horrible front office. Don’t believe the “incentives” portion of the company. There are no bonuses. No advancement unless you’re a foreman and sit in the office all day and leave the crew to do all the work by themselves. Supervisor micro-manages everything. Unless this site lives up to its “incentives”, “advancements”, and gives better pay. You’re better off somewhere else. This is more of a fresh out of high school type of job to get plant experience. Nothing further than that.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, “incentives”.
N/a
Shift Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 17, 2019
The company is very buddy orientated. Promotions often come to people that are more "friendly" with the upper management rather than to people who have been on site with longer with more experience.
Terrible
Loader (Former Employee) –  Convent, LAFebruary 12, 2019
Every one who works here starts off ready to work. Then you get screwed time and time again, and you're ready to leave by month 2.
THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT JOB!
This is something that'll be enough to pay some bills till you can find better.
Site supervisor is a complete D bag. He's the worst person I've ever worked for.
Pros
Pays bills
Cons
Everything else
Great company to work for
SWITCHING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Covestro Baytown Tx.February 12, 2019
Outstanding company that presents many opportunities for growth and advancement. Sgs makes sure you have the tools and know how to complete your daily task and provides support when needed.
Good place to build resume experience.
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXFebruary 4, 2019
Your job is secure as long as you work accurate and safe. Great place to work when the Supervisor isn't trying to micro-manage things he has no experience with.
Pros
Fair pay rate for the area, safety first
Cons
Politics
tight knit work groups
Foreman/Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 31, 2019
I really enjoy working for PSC, I am just trying to get a job as a production technician. My first child is due in May of 2019, and I am trying to better myself to provide for my family.
February 4, 2019

We're happy to hear you are enjoying working for us. We wish you much success in your PSC career and as a new parent!

Not a Good Place!!!! Horrible Management
Switchman (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Not a good company... Management is all about themselves. They don’t practice safety until someone gets hurt.. Don’t apply here!!! They make up new rules every day just to fit management needs. Only about pleasing their customer even if it is unsafe. Will not listen to you when you have things that can improve your work. No open door policy like they say. Management wants you to report your co workers. Change your hours, pay under the table, let people slide from taking drug test!!!
Pros
Cons
Management, Stressful work place
February 4, 2019

We take very seriously comments regarding our safety policies, drug testing procedures and management. We would like to talk confidentially with you regarding your experiences working for PSC. Please call (281) 991-3500 and ask to speak with our HR Manager in Pasadena.

No place to work
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Management is horrible the leadman ride with foreman around and don’t work don’t know when U getting off on nights no advancement favoritisms is high
February 4, 2019

We take very seriously comments regarding management of our plant operations. We would like to talk confidentially with you regarding your experiences working for PSC. Please call (281) 991-3500 and ask to speak with our HR Manager in Pasadena.

“Leadership” needs extensive training
Chemical loader (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJanuary 21, 2019
At the plant we were contracted to work at, you needed to be in a certain circle of people to hope to advance. Qualified and experienced people were passed over numerous times because of this. Zero accountability from supervisors as far as enforcing rules for everyone. Some people were punished for somethings, while others were not. Most of the people I worked with were the laziest people I’ve ever seen.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Lazy coworkers, terrible supervisors
not enough pay and vacation coverage
UTILITY OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Garyville, LAJanuary 21, 2019
we don't have a life working for SGS due to regular 12hr work shift days and when off we're always on standby with no incentive pay. I think we deserve we deserve more money for the jobs we do and hazards we work around.
Pros
the job is decent enough to stay a float with a family
Cons
not enough pay for the job we doand hazards around us
N/a
Truck Driver, Package Loader, SAP(ECC), Drummer (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Okay plant to work at, but no considered the best. Pays better than most jobs, but could be a little better. Management is pretty good as well. Will recomen
Contract job
Dock Operator - Marine (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 29, 2018
Steady work and hours were available, but like with any contracting company advancement, and pay was lacking. Work schedule was good and work experience gained.
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
No room for advancement in career
Hours are bad but pay is good
Tankerman (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 14, 2018
6 days on, 3 days off on-call schedule is kind of rough. Especially when slow. Sometime you'll be up all day and get called out right before you go to sleep.They do have an app to show you where you are in rotation but it can still be hard to gauge when you'll be called out.

Pay is good and they give you a 40 hour/week guarantee but that is not hard to lose. And if you lose your guarantee while it's slow you are screwed.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Schedule, work-life balance
No room for growth
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 11, 2018
Does not promote from within. HR played a lot of politics. Upper management did not seem to care for their tenured employees. Benefits and paid time off were good.
Terrible management
Loader operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXDecember 10, 2018
The management and morale of this place is terrible, they say your raise is overtime and you don’t get days off to be with family, they will straight lie to your face and talk behind your back it is a drama infested place wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to work their the pay is not competitive and there is no communication and the shift before you will always leave you with extra work their is no team work at all and it’s due to the lack of good management
Pros
The 401k and the benefits
Cons
Management, no time off, favoritism, and everyone is out for each other’s jobs
The job was alright with the right people
Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LADecember 5, 2018
The supervisor and I had 2 different opinions on how things should be ran. He wouldn’t ever have anything fixed properly and it shouldn’t have been running when not fixed properly
Pros
Lunch was paid for
Cons
12 hour night shifts
customer oriented
tankerman (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 22, 2018
overall its a great company to work for. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the work load of barge traffic on the lower Mississippi river with more competition in the industry to date than in the past. So the work load has dramaticly declined.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
once you reach five years you are pretty much topped out except for pay
Good Could Be Better
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 1, 2018
Great Pay Ok Benefits Could Be Better, Some Days It Could Get Busy But Overall Its All In A Days Work, Lots Of Overtime, And A lot Of Room For Advancement
Pros
Great Pay, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Need A Overhaul

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company. Our community is ready to answer.