Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company

Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company Employee Reviews

Terrible management
Loader operator (Former Employee) –  Seadrift, TXDecember 10, 2018
The management and morale of this place is terrible, they say your raise is overtime and you don’t get days off to be with family, they will straight lie to your face and talk behind your back it is a drama infested place wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to work their the pay is not competitive and there is no communication and the shift before you will always leave you with extra work their is no team work at all and it’s due to the lack of good management
Pros
The 401k and the benefits
Cons
Management, no time off, favoritism, and everyone is out for each other’s jobs
Do not go to the Mt.Belvieu location
Operator (Current Employee) –  Mt.BelvieuAugust 4, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for however Mt.Belvieu plastics plant is the worst site to work for if your looking for opportunities for advancement the only way you will move up at this site is if you know the higher up management I have seen unqualified people take the place of qualified management without ever stepping a foot in a plant due to the fact of them knowing upper management. You will not be able to transfer to another facility unless you know upper management. And I have even witness a employee who got injured horseplaying receive a promotion because of who they knew. If you don't know anyone you will not advance at this site within the company.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity
Pulling teeth to get simple help
Dockman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 13, 2018
This place drove me crazy! Its only one team lead who actually does his job these other guys leave all the work for him. It's no teamwork mentality its every man for himself. The upper management lies about pay raises and cant answers simple questions. They will cut off their pinky finger before you get overtime. Absolutely no opportunity to get ahead or even break even. Compared to other companies we get paid pennies. I want to go to corporate headquarters in Baton Rouge and show them how poorly they treat there workers. When asked for change the shift supervisor gold a group of us we can leave because he always has applicates.
Pros
Non
Official response from Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company
July 23, 2018

We take very seriously all comments related to the treatment of our employees and problems with supervision, and we’d like to get some more information from you so that we can look into the concerns you’ve raised. Please call our HR Director at (225) 343-8262.

Great company
Equipment Operator Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LADecember 6, 2018
Great company to work for! Very competitive, advancements are there for a young passionate individual. Very laid back culture! Very important too keep moral high
Pros
Overtime
No room for growth
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXDecember 11, 2018
Does not promote from within. HR played a lot of politics. Upper management did not seem to care for their tenured employees. Benefits and paid time off were good.
Great job to learn
Loader/Switching (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 3, 2018
Good secure job.Work and home is almost balanced.Great teamwork and supervisors all are ggod people to work under.The only issues we have is we miss alot of cost of living raises, waiting right now for cost of living increase. SGS do not just increase paid until the plant give it to the company.Over all great company to work for, but new employees do not stay long.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Out dated pay/each year not sure about cost of living increase
Great place to work.
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 23, 2018
Always had lots of OT. Pay was decent but not great. If you were open with the management they took care of you. Always have job security. Management was always open to New Opportunities if they ever were presented. Worked with some of the best coworkers I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Decent pay, OT Available, Good Management, Awesome benefits
Cons
Sometimes to much OT.
Awesome upper management and an overall great place to work
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 5, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for. They are very family (and pet) oriented. They are willing to work with you and your schedule when needed. I have yet to come to work anxious/worried/stressed. It is very rare to have a work environment this positive. I have yet to experience or hear about any co-worker disputes or disagreements. Everyone seems to get along really well.
Upper management is awesome, they are very fun and willing to listen to any ideas for improvements or any concerns you may have. Overall this company has your best interest at heart, and want you to succeed and enjoy working while you do.
Good Could Be Better
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 1, 2018
Great Pay Ok Benefits Could Be Better, Some Days It Could Get Busy But Overall Its All In A Days Work, Lots Of Overtime, And A lot Of Room For Advancement
Pros
Great Pay, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Need A Overhaul
No advancement opportunity
Safety and Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMay 15, 2018
Worked there for three years, had ONE pay raise of a dollar and gave so much working for free to be a better person for the company. Management was all "YES MEN" or lazy or a control freak and micro managed everyone.
Keep Looking
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Low pay for what we have to deal with. Supervisors talks in riddles, never gives a direct answer. Very, very poor communication. You come to work and 2 hours before your shift ends, you find out the procedure for the task you’ve been doing all along has changed and no one let you know.

It’s supposed to be shift work, but who knows how the schedule will play out week to week. Coworkers are great, it’s about the only thing that keeps the morale pretty positive during the work day. This job has a lot of “hurry up and wait” situations.

Favoritism plays a big role in this company as well. Certain workers are granted longer hours and more days while others are not allowed to come in early or stay late to gain a few extra hours. The only way to get taken care of out here (whether you work hard or not) is to brown-nose. If you don’t, well good luck. Hard work is not noticed. There is absolutely no opportunity for advancement.

Overall this job only provides a stepping stone into a better paying job with people who actually know what they’re doing.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Always being rushed, low pay, favoritism
challenging
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 4, 2018
management could be better, schedule not very good job is good for a single man, do not get raises on time or for advancing until yearly review, industry is fine.
Excellent culture and great management
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJuly 20, 2018
Overall, the management has your back 100%. They are willing to work with you through any problems you may have. They look out for the employees and advance people if they are worthy of it.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Security
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 7, 2018
Work life balance is great. The actual work is easy. The work culture is different but okay. The company values its employees and takes care of them. There aren't enough vacation days but most managers are willing to work with you. overall its a good company
Lack of management skills and not enough money for responsibility
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 15, 2018
A lot of micro managing. Can't work without looking over your back. Management lies to your face just to keep you satisfied. They start the on call shift higher in pay than the shift personnel. When the shift personnel are qualified at all dock and are the ones training new on call group. How do you think that makes everyone feel when you have a well qualified dock operator training a newbie whose getting paid more???? But other than that the shift lead and workers were great to work with and we built a bond within our shift something SGS failed to do as a whole company.
Pros
My shift and knowledge
Cons
Management and Pay scale
Great entry level job if aspiring for plant operations or tankering.
Dock Operator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 6, 2017
As a dockman, your day will consist of constant communication with plant and vessel personnel and record keeping all events that take place during the time you are on the job. You will learn basics in process operation, mechanical systems, products being transported, and safety. Depending on your department, most managers are decent with a firm background in the industry but make no mistake - the culture as well as the management can change overnight which leaves employees indulging in rumors as well as questioning management when production is critical. 90% logistics 10% labor is a constant with the hardest part of the job being available on-call and working more than 12 hours a day. SGS PSC does have a wonderful schedule for most places which balance work and family time.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, great training programs, great benefits
Cons
Terrible wages, micro-managing, huge responsbility
Fast paste
Package Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 12, 2018
Poor management & high stress, they lie about pay they only give you 13.39$ to start and you have to advance to get more but they don’t want you to advance because they don’t want to pay you more. BEACUSE the less the staff gets the more the supervisor gets in his bonus.
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
Management, stress, pay.
Official response from Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company
August 19, 2018

Our pay rates vary from site to site and are based on our customer contracts, the job duties and responsibilities of the position, and the employee’s level of experience/competence at hire and follow-up performance reviews. Our supervisors are evaluated and compensated based on operating performance measures that include safety and environmental protection, employee retention and development, customer satisfaction, and integrity. Their pay is not impacted in any way by increases for the employees that report to them. We devote considerable resources to employee training and development and are proud of the track record we have for helping our employees grow and advance in their careers. In fact, many of our current company leaders started out in entry-level positions.

Great Leadership. Management is very passionate about company. It will rub off on you.
Engineer/Switchmen (Current Employee) –  Channahon, ILDecember 16, 2017
Front the beginning started with phone interview, then video interview. HR was very friendly during this process. Then your on the the face to face interview with site supervisor and management. They spoke highly of company and we're very friendly. Very thorough drug screen and physical but it's needed, upon getting hired I understood why they take those measures. All the trainers were Awesome! Very knowledgeable of work and so passionate about their job. Ovreall great company so far during my process. Glad to be apart of team.
Pros
Salary, great management
Cons
Outside work can be tough if you live in cold climate
Great Company, Horrible Management - Exxon Plastics Plant Mont. Belvieu
Mont. Belvieu - P&S Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mont Belvieu, TXJune 7, 2018
PSC is a great company to work for, just not at the Mont Belvieu plant, the Management needs a overhaul its so bad they cant keep employees from leaving we get a new batch of recruits from time to time. If you want to transfer to a better position out of the plant good luck it wont happen even if you are the most qualified person for the job.
PVC Foreman Loader (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAAugust 7, 2018
Love my job, very easy place to work. Definitely changed my life. I’ve never worked at such a laid back place that offers great benefits and a comfortable wage to support a mortgage and kids.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petroleum Service Corporation, An SGS Company. Our community is ready to answer.