Petsense Employee Reviews

Great place, if you want to be treated like you're Worthless
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJanuary 10, 2019
Title says it all. This company is a joke. They fire the good managers because they don't want to keep paying them well when they can hire a horrible one for less money. Higher ups are no help in stressful situations. They'll promise you over 30hours but in reality they're only going to give you 15-20hours a week if you're lucky, even less if your manager doesn't like you. Even if you're completing your work and everyone else's, they'll still treat you like you've done nothing and like you're a worthless member of the "team". This company does not know how to treat their employees.
Pros
20% discount, see cute pets sometimes
Cons
Fun to work, but only part time hours and no benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New MexicoDecember 8, 2018
My coworkers were great to work with and the work itself was good. However, the company doesn't want full time employees, so resign yourself to low hours. There are no benefits for part time employees and often times, they require that the only full time employees are the manager and assistant manager. Even if the store could use more hours and more people, the company itself won't allow it. It's unfortunate because they'd be able to keep more people working there if they'd give them the hours to sustain themselves.
Fair
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXNovember 26, 2018
A typical day at work, is usually 4-6 hours long. Every other day freight and shelf stocking. Day to day small tasks, including fish feeding and water replacement, moping, trash, being on time.
I've learned how to; use a register, replace and print tags, dog food quality, Freight receiving, and helping and handling customers.
Workplace culture is standard only to Uvalde TX.
Hardest part of the Job, waiting for the right time to use the bathroom without missing or upsetting customers.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the animals that come in and their owners.
Pros
Flexible hours, moderate paced
Cons
short hours, no full time options
Nice place to work for younger people
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work usually begins with the grooming phone line to be ringing without a groomer in the shop yet. You would have to make the appointments yourself depending on the groomer's schedule. I learned how to open the store and receive some merchandise when it came in. As far as management goes...well there's A LOT of improvement needed I think. If you aren't in your mid 20's then this isn't the place for you. The age range is very divided and I could feel it. The best part of the job was seeing all the dogs and cats that came in to shop.
Productive and fast paced and fun
Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKJanuary 3, 2019
Most days at Petsense were very laid back yet super productive. We almost always had something to do but the tasks are small and you are able to complete them if you have time management skills. The environment can get fast paced when its busy because you still have other tasks you need to get done. But over all its not very stressful, just fast paced and enjoyable. We had days that we had to work harder than other so we could meet deadlines and be ready for upcoming events. Management was amazing, you're taught how to do everything in a timely manner so you're not getting a bunch of information thrown on you all at once. The hardest part of this job is probably just making sure you have enough energy and strength to continuously move large bags of pet food.
Pros
Fun and relaxed working enviroment
Cons
All the heavy lifting
Great staring job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCDecember 14, 2018
Great for your first job but not somewhere to stay after awhile everything will pile on you and people will slack and the hire ups kiss the customers butt to much and lose money is very stressful only good thing is discounts and schedule is flexible if you have enough team members
Pros
discount and good schedule flexability
Cons
Stressful and corporette is trash
Terrible do not apply
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 24, 2018
Life as an assistant store manager when your manager is the MARKET MANAGER means you ARE the manager, just not on paper. So you get paid barely nothing to do everything. You work yourself to death for a company that is dying and has no idea what it’s doinf. It’s not worth it. Do not waste your time
Pros
Hours
productive and relaxed job
Stocker personnel (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CASeptember 13, 2018
the typical day at work for me way stock and clean and mop and also restock supplies and it was a relaxed job, The management we good and also learned more about stocking and restocking as days went by while working there and also helped with some social skills greeting customers
Pros
learn some new things as in skills to get better
Cons
there was no cons
Its a good high school job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXDecember 5, 2018
Pretty boring, most of the time you stand around doing nothing. Easy as pie, a four year old could do that job. Cashiering, front-facing, drawer counting down, etc.
Pros
Get to see animals, Not stressful at all, good work environment.
Cons
Kind of boring, not very good pay, Low staff
Employee review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 8, 2018
Great place to work. it is not intended for one who thinks they will be sitting around playing with cats all day. I really enjoyed working for this company. My only complaint was not having enough hours given by the company so many times there was only one employee covering the entire store.
Great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leland, NCAugust 22, 2018
The team was very helpful with customers and coworkers. Each person was always willing to lend a hand whenever needed. Stocking shelves with new inventory was the hardest part of the job. Sometimes it could take a while to get everything put away. During the slow periods, the job could get pretty boring, but it was a fun place to work.
Great place to work and enjoy your job.
Bather/Brusher/Lead Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKJanuary 5, 2019
Atmosphere of Petsense was very relaxed yet we definitely got things done. Typical day involved checking in trucks, helping customers, setting planograms. Management was stern but helpful and understanding.
Great Customers, Horrible Managers.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJuly 15, 2018
The job was fairly easy. It was fun meeting the animals and always learning new things from customers.
But management was terrible. Managers picked favorites and/or hired their friends. Always unnecessary drama within store. I was always treated as if I wasn't doing my job. Very few hours with inconsistent scheduling.
Pros
Meeting animals, learning new things, easy job
Cons
Bad management, no hours, too much drama
Relaxed and slow paced job, its good for those who are new to the work force
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Claremore, OKNovember 20, 2018
It's really a Job meant to be a stepping stone to a better career. With a steady to slow pace of work it's good for teaching new comers a decent work ethic while reducing stress.
It was Meh
Petsense - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ada, OKDecember 26, 2018
It wasn't easy. A lot of heavy lifting and you are constantly running around. It's a good environment as long as you love animals. But the people can be questionable.
Pros
animals, organized
Cons
heavy lifting, hard on feet and back
A lot of down time
Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYSeptember 8, 2018
I loved working at petsense but my manager made it hard to work around my school schedule. She made it hard for anyone to work a good schedule. I loved working with animals but it wasn’t worth missing school.
Pros
Worked with animals
Cons
Short breaks, alone a lot
Fun work environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaffney, SCOctober 22, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Petsense! I just had to find a job that I could work more hours at. This job is perfect for a high school student or a college student.
Pros
Discounted animal food
Cons
Not enough work hours
A company that does not value their employees. Management will not support their employees and will only provide negative feedback.
Lead key (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 10, 2018
Great company before Tractor Supply bought Petsense in 2016. Has gone downhill ever since. And unless management changes, will likely continue spiraling down until it is not Petsense anymore. Very negative place to work. Workload is impossible to achieve when you are working alone. And Market Manager is a joke. Do not work at this place! You will regret it!
Pros
Pets and customers are great!
Cons
Everything else.
Great Job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXNovember 23, 2018
Great place to work. The work is not very difficult, can be a little stressful at times, but overall isn't difficult. There is a weekly routine that allows even the new workers to know what the daily task is.
Horrible work place
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKOctober 11, 2018
Manager and Assist Manager took all the hours. Gave us the hours no one wanted (which was very few a day if that) Snobby attitudes. Made you do everything (even if it wasn't your duty). Would never go back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petsense. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight