Petsense Employee Reviews

Nice place to work for younger people
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work usually begins with the grooming phone line to be ringing without a groomer in the shop yet. You would have to make the appointments yourself depending on the groomer's schedule. I learned how to open the store and receive some merchandise when it came in. As far as management goes...well there's A LOT of improvement needed I think. If you aren't in your mid 20's then this isn't the place for you. The age range is very divided and I could feel it. The best part of the job was seeing all the dogs and cats that came in to shop.
Terrible do not apply
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 24, 2018
Life as an assistant store manager when your manager is the MARKET MANAGER means you ARE the manager, just not on paper. So you get paid barely nothing to do everything. You work yourself to death for a company that is dying and has no idea what it’s doinf. It’s not worth it. Do not waste your time
Pros
Hours
Fun work environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Gaffney, SCOctober 22, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Petsense! I just had to find a job that I could work more hours at. This job is perfect for a high school student or a college student.
Pros
Discounted animal food
Cons
Not enough work hours
Horrible work place
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKOctober 11, 2018
Manager and Assist Manager took all the hours. Gave us the hours no one wanted (which was very few a day if that) Snobby attitudes. Made you do everything (even if it wasn't your duty). Would never go back.
Horrible
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLSeptember 30, 2018
Management is a push over they allow a hostile environment. Corporate wont step in a help, they keep giving second chances over and over and over again.
productive and relaxed job
Stocker personnel (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CASeptember 13, 2018
the typical day at work for me way stock and clean and mop and also restock supplies and it was a relaxed job, The management we good and also learned more about stocking and restocking as days went by while working there and also helped with some social skills greeting customers
Pros
learn some new things as in skills to get better
Cons
there was no cons
A lot of down time
Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYSeptember 8, 2018
I loved working at petsense but my manager made it hard to work around my school schedule. She made it hard for anyone to work a good schedule. I loved working with animals but it wasn’t worth missing school.
Pros
Worked with animals
Cons
Short breaks, alone a lot
Great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leland, NCAugust 22, 2018
The team was very helpful with customers and coworkers. Each person was always willing to lend a hand whenever needed. Stocking shelves with new inventory was the hardest part of the job. Sometimes it could take a while to get everything put away. During the slow periods, the job could get pretty boring, but it was a fun place to work.
Typical retail experience with more cons than pros
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Covington, GA / Tifton, GAAugust 6, 2018
The job itself isn't difficult. Like most retail positions it can be stressful dealing with the public. Petsense offers little pay, hours, benefits, and advancement opportunities compared to other competitors or similar positions. Once you advance to key/lead key holder, you are held to a much higher standard with a lot more responsibility for a penny raise. I personally had been a key holder for 3 years and worked in a total of 5 different stores, 2 being home stores, 1 being temporary new store setup assistance, and the last 2 working out of town as acting manager until they found a replacement. I was hoping to get promoted to Store Manager in one of those positions as I had proven my capability multiple times and had the responsibilities of an Assistant Manager without the pay, hours, or benefits. Basically I was getting used until they could fill the position from outsourcing versus hiring someone from within the company who knows how it works and should be ran. Needless to say I am glad for the experience in retail the position has given me, but I will not be returning to work for Petsense and would advise against considering them for work unless you are looking for a part time position, or a Store Manager position with experience elsewhere.
Great Customers, Horrible Managers.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJuly 15, 2018
The job was fairly easy. It was fun meeting the animals and always learning new things from customers.
But management was terrible. Managers picked favorites and/or hired their friends. Always unnecessary drama within store. I was always treated as if I wasn't doing my job. Very few hours with inconsistent scheduling.
Pros
Meeting animals, learning new things, easy job
Cons
Bad management, no hours, too much drama
Very nice management
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 10, 2018
This place was very laid back. Manager is very nice. employees were nice. I believe they do need a new way no keep files in the grooming salon to make it easier to find information on customers that come in.
A company that does not value their employees. Management will not support their employees and will only provide negative feedback.
Lead key (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 10, 2018
Great company before Tractor Supply bought Petsense in 2016. Has gone downhill ever since. And unless management changes, will likely continue spiraling down until it is not Petsense anymore. Very negative place to work. Workload is impossible to achieve when you are working alone. And Market Manager is a joke. Do not work at this place! You will regret it!
Pros
Pets and customers are great!
Cons
Everything else.
Fun Workplace
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 9, 2018
Fun to work at but the pay sucks. It does not pay enough to making a living. It a good started job. Got to learn about the importance of good quality dog and cat food.
Very rewarding if you love animals
Corporate Office Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 6, 2018
PetSense has a great culture. They care about family and the work life balance is great. My issue with the company was there wasn’t any room to grow but, that was more about what my position was in the company. The Human Resource department was awful. There wasn’t any confidentiality. If you told HR of an issue you we’re having personally everyone would know.
Easy going work place as long as you do what your supposed to
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Zachary, LAMay 1, 2018
Everyone works the registers and help customers; help with checking in orders and restocking the shelves; clean and care for the cats in the store; assist with other jobs as needed
Pros
discounts
Cons
heavy lifting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 23, 2018
Managers still clock in and leave for hours while on clock. Make Assistants do everything. Terminate your employment for using the open door policy. Writes resignation letters for employees that manager has no grounds to terminate and threatens them if They don't sign it. Everyone is scared of manager.
Cons
Noone seems to take initiative to talk one on one with employees and believe them.
productive fun job
pet styling (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 16, 2018
It is a clean fun place to work. Good for advancement and growth. Good location and products. Quality pet supplies and food. It's a good job if you love working with animals and people.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Terrible Management
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  nunya, kentuckyApril 15, 2018
In my two years there were four managers and none of them lasted over 4 months. The managers stole from the store and then blamed it on the employees.
Worst Company to work for
Lead Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXApril 12, 2018
Manager let personal issues affect work, has out wordly said she didnt want to be a manager. Force groomers to push bad food and add ons/specials or they get in trouble. Expect groomers to answer/book dogs while bathing or grooming at the same time but while also not leaving dog unattended and that you get it out on time.
They will put dogs on you that you cant handle, or breeds you arent comfortable with. They over work their groomers and pay very very little. 100% not worth it.
Terrible chain of command
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSApril 9, 2018
No open door policy... reprimanded for others mistakes... no help with issues that arise... the store is also infested with bettles and spiders... injuries that occur could be avoided with the right tools and materials but are considered expensive so injuries continue

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petsense. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight