Petsense
64Average

Petsense Employee Reviews

United States215 reviews
I can’t speak of it now because the new owners have changed quite a few things. Had no real issues when I worked there. Management was friendly and helpful.
This job was very upbeat. I felt with hundreds of animals and their owners on a weekly basis. We made you feel like family. Our regular customers grew over the years
Management is degrading. The front of house are a bunch of lost children working. Lazy, impolite, and clownish just like the management. They do not know how to respect one another
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Worthless employees
Friendly teams, always engaged with community and social media; new product launches and great source of education for pet needs easy work day just be outgoing and welcoming stay busy and keep the store neat and orderly set end caps and date rotation
Pros
Working with local shelters for pet adoption and first responders
Cons
Commission based training could have better balance
Petsense has to be one of my favorite places I’ve ever worked at. The people are friendly, the management is great, and you learn something new all the time. There is a lot of room to work your way up, either in the groom shop or when you first come on as an associate you have the opportunity to move to Keyholder.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Petsense is a great company overall. They donate to local animal shelters and adopt out animals. They offer career advancement opportunities within the company.
Pros
Coworkers are nice, the job is easy
Cons
Not enough hours
Inner acting with customers and their pets, helping them find just the right thing whether it be a toy, treat or a new food. My manager is great always willing to teach new things to help me move up in my job. The hardest part is trying to get everything done with very little associates to help, sometimes there is only one person working, you need to answer phones, wait on customers and get shipments done.We do have fun but it gets very busy sometimes.
I do planograms, front face the store and clean the store up. I have learned how to be faster at putting up shipments and rotating bags around. I have learned how to take care of the small animals and the reptiles that we have. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the smiles on peoples faces when we help them. We make sure that we use the WAG MORE acronym to greet our customers. We make sure that when we greet them we are smiling.
I started as a key holder in November of 2017. Management changed hands a couple times and we found ourselves with no manager and I was doing manager work. With help from my awesome Market Manager and surrounding Store Managers, I made manager finally in January of 2019. MM and other surrounding SM's continued to help and support me. The only reason I had to leave is because my husband got a job transfer out of state and we are waiting for a store to open where we are currently living.
Pros
Helping customers, working with animals and happy customers. Flexible hours, friendly place to work.
Cons
You can't make EVERYONE happy unfortunately.
During this job I would make sure that the costumers always got the things that they needed . I would help them find what they were looking for. then I would ring them up at the cash register.
It’s real easy environment and people are easy to get along with. Even with the recent changes things were still pretty stress free. I liked my job. Only reason I put in my two weeks is because I was having a kid.
Never really felt comfortable working here. I was told to treat the customers like I would want to be treated but yet I was never treated well. I would be the only one doing the dirty work while all the managers sat around and watched.
I've been with this company for a while now and things started off fine. Everyone rotated weekends off, there was a clear sense of what needed to be done at work, and everyone made sure to complete all tasks given to them. Needless to say, those are things of the past. There's absolutely no room to grow beyond making the initial jump from associate to key holder if you're lucky. Corporate would rather hire an outsider to take on a position that could easily be filled by a current employee. Don't even get me started on management. If there's a problem between a worker and the store manager, you'll know. Being ignored, shunned, and socially isolated are only a few of the many childish things that come about. Gossiping on social media, false reports being sent up to the market manager fabricating stories that aren't remotely accurate, and showing blatant favoritism are just part of what I've had to deal with. In all my years of working retail, I've never felt as underappreciated, overworked, and underpaid as I do with this company. If I could work elsewhere, believe me, I would. Just about ANYTHING else has to be better than what goes on at this place. Seriously, it isn't worth it. Employee discounts suddenly went from 20% down to 15% without any kind of heads up or prior warning. Schedules are produced maybe three days before the new week starts (with instances of it being produced while already in the midst of the week that the schedule will be of) so there's little time to plan your life around it. The store manager can leave work early to work around their life but the moment - more...
Pros
Knowing when items/foods are being discounted.
Cons
Poor management, too much drama, no room for growth, no one to turn to, nobody seems to care, blatant favoritism, retaliation, double-standards, no upper management to turn to for help, the list goes on!!!
One of the WORST jobs I've ever had! Way too many expectations that were completely NOT achievable. The female employees were treated like garbage and were expected to do everything. And if something on the impossible-to-accomplish list wasn't done by any one of the employees, the manager would have a come apart! The female employees would get screamed at while the males got to sit back and pretty much put their feet up. The last week I was employed there, the manager harassed me. Such a waste. The customers and their pets were the only positive part of the job.
Pros
Cons
No healthcare, inadequate pay, awful work environment, no chance at advancement, impossible standards
The management in moultrie is great and they genuinely care about their employees. The pay is good for an entry level job maybe for someone still living with their parents, but as a keyholder making $10 an hour isn’t enough to live off of and you don’t get paid enough for what you do. With that being said, I loved the environment and loved going to work and seeing my regular customers.
They say to take 3 or 5,15 min breaks if you work more than 5 hours but you only "work" for like 2 or 3 on normal days and maybe more than 4 or 5 in the super busy days. The prices on items are super expensive on even small items that anywhere else would put as .99 cents while there's are $2.00 ( cat and dog toys).
they don’t care about their employees. they let a coworker steal from me and did nothing about it. the groom shop looks terrible because they’re not allowed to decorate it anymore, looks like a prison cell. just an awful company who only cares about money.
I love the job itself and the people that work there. Working with animals is amazing if you know how to work with them and read their body language. It can be a physically demanding job (lifting 50+lbs dogs into a tub).
this job has been the most beneficial to me in letting me grow my skills as an event coordinator and with educating me on the different types of pet products that exist.
Working here has can be fun and has the potential to be a great environment. Work is rewarding and working with animals makes you feel like you're doing something good. The downside is poor store management. In Henderson location at least. The management is rude to customers and employees alike and I've had to de-escelate customers multiple times due to my mangers attitude towards them.
Pros
Fun job. Get to work with animals.
Cons
Poor management. Bad hours and benefits.
Always a great place to be. Wonderful co-workers, supportive management. Management gave us flexibility to work an earlier shift to avoid rush-hour traffic.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Petsense. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
2.9
Ratings from women
2.3
InHerSight Score
1.8Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
1.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight