PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 7,004 reviews matching the search See all 7,467 reviews
Really fun place if you love animals
Cashier and early morning stock (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 18, 2019
My experience at PetSmart was very fun I was a early morning stocker and cashier and they actually taught me a lot about how to handle money and how to operate a cashier and how to stock merchandise how to do a lot in the beginning of my work experience as a 17 year old kid I feel that was one good job I actually could of stayed at forever but nothing last forever but all in all thumbs up to PetSmart.
Pros
Great management and learning about animals
Cons
If your allergic to dogs and cats would apply lol
Have to love animals and be friendly with customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bell and 7th streetMarch 18, 2019
Have to love all different kind of animals and help customers and restock and customer service and do your job right and help where ever is needed and enjoy your job
Would never work at a place that favor certian people
Customer Service Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLMarch 18, 2019
The store manager is horrible lazy and never compliments you only if she likes you .She would find a way to get you fired .I was there for 13 years and when she came to be store manager everything went down hill. She went out of her way to get me fired.
Cons
A great place for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMarch 18, 2019
.Fun place to work, amazing co-workers and managers.
.Hours are more or less fixed unless you have school or family events and take set time off.
.I would recommend somebody to work there.
.I enjoy my time there and still do.
.A great first job and will remember my time there as fun and formative.
Decent work environment, great managers and coworkers
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 18, 2019
While I worked here, I was able to establish good working relationships with all of my fellow staff members, whether they be managers or associates. This made working at this company great, as we were all on the same page and everybody had a shared sense of respect for one another.
Typical Retail Job
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORMarch 17, 2019
Worked lots of varied hours during different days of the week depending on need. It was fun to see all the animals brought into the store. Really busy days though, and often short staffed. However, this was many, many years ago.
Fun working with animals
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 16, 2019
Management could have been better but overall a fun work environment for all. I enjoyed being able to learn and grow with the company. Petsmart location is under new management.
Good place for people with little previous job experience
Core Associate (Current Employee) –  Franklin, NJMarch 16, 2019
They teach you everything you need to know about working in retail, as well as provide a lot of safety training, as you will be working with live animals.
Retail
Stock/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYMarch 16, 2019
It's a retail job doing retail things. Not meant to support a family unless a manager or been there a long time, was an ok job and it wasn't bad, people were nice to work with and helped out.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
Used to be great, now it just wants to cut corners for cost
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 16, 2019
Before being purchased, PetSmart had a great company culture with managers who were salaried, with good benefits and actually cared about the animals as well as the employees.

Post-buyout it feels like they don't care if animals die, are sick, or get *lost* as long as the bottom line is being pushed and numbers are being met. It is no longer a retail environment that felt more about helping than sales.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Company culture changed, just another retail environment
Very productive
Pet Care Specialist, Stocker and Bather (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 16, 2019
I loved stocking and helping customers find what they needed for there pets. I had many jobs such as barber, cashier and was asked to take a management position. I loved my job at Petsmart just wish the pay was higher.
Pros
Fun, busy
Cons
Pay was to low for work being done
A great company to work for
Petcare associate (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 15, 2019
The company is great to work for if you have a love for animals. You get to work by them and have a rewarding job finding new animals to homes. It is a fast-paced work environment and can be stressful at times.
Can be stressful, very fast paced
Pet Care Associate/Pet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMarch 15, 2019
It is a enjoyable job, but it can be stressful depending on management. I was trained for over a month, and kept learning during the years I worked there. However, some of the newer associates are only trained for a few days before they are expected to do everything on their own with no problems.
Pros
Breaks and lunches, many opportunities to change position
Cons
poor communication, stressful
Great opportunities to learn
pet groomer (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 15, 2019
You are expected to go a lot of work and take on grooming a lot of dogs, but they have awesome benefits/ Bathers are expected to do dogs an hour groomers have a little more control but still dont have much support.
Pros
Discount, gifts, vacation
Cons
Stressful, management.
Turn over rate is high
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 14, 2019
Management didn't act like they wanted to help. They asked a lot of you. Didn't really go in depth with explaining. Expected you to know everything. Would not properly train you.
Pros
Petting Dogs
Cons
Poor management
Terrible
Stylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2019
Constant gossip and bad mouthing of coworkers. Mexican coworkers racist against me. Catty and cruel environment. They have criminals working there. I was harassed and pushed to my limits. I was underappreciated and underpaid. Just a terrible environment all around. I really enjoyed working with the dogs. I was given way too many large dogs in a single shift and my back was in bad shape by the time I moved on.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Negative environment, unpleasant and unprofessional. Racism
Overall company values concerning pets is not good
PET CARE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  TNMarch 14, 2019
Pretty decent place to work. I loved my coworkers and managers. Only bad thing would be is that they give you wrong info about the pets and don't care. I ended up doing my own research to make sure I was telling Pet Parents the correct information. Just seems like the company just wants the money and doesn't care about the animals.
Pros
Good work environment, pays decent, good hours
Cons
corporate
petsmart
Pet Stylist (Current Employee) –  Festus, MOMarch 14, 2019
you are expected to work non stop, phone ringing off the hook, stressed dogs, walk in services out way dogs with appointment. Every time a walk in service comes in a dog with appointment gets put away, sometimes 5-10. Each time stresses dog and groomer out. No respect is given to employees.
Only expect more and more out of you.
Many more reasons not to work there.
Not enough pay
Cashier and Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 14, 2019
The pay does nothing to compensate for the amount of stress leveled on the employees. That coupled with inconsistent hours made me want to leave this position.
Cons
Stress, low pay, inconsistent hours
It was a very fast paced job with lots of animals
Bather/Brusher (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLMarch 14, 2019
First duty when coming in was to sanitize all the dogs crates, set all machines on standby. As the dogs came in on there scheduled appointment i would bathe them do glands if requested. I then dry the dogs do there nails and any privates. I assisted other groomers as needed in the bathing or drying area. I would also take care of walk in nails. At the end of the shift the entire salon needs to be cleaned and all filters are to be cleared. Duties also included answering the phone and making appointments. The best part of the job was indeed the animals and all there magnificent personalities. the hardest was the stress that came with the double bookings. All in all it was a company that could help provide growth for animal lovers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
42.4K
31.8K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PetSmart.

Powered by Comparably