PetSmart

Found 9,810 reviews matching the searchSee all 10,514 reviews

PetSmart insights

Based on 3,073 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive and fun workplace environment. Both Employees and customers

Featured review

PetSmart selected this as a representative review
My experience at PetSmart. The employees are welcoming, concerning, and supportive. The schedule is flexible. I learned a variety of skills needed for the store to be successful. the management encourages employee success. The workplace and culture is fantastic.The hardest part of the job was when I tried to work as a groomer. I was not successful at that so the manager found what I was successful at. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with customers. I would still be there if I had not been laid off due to COVID-19 staff reductions.

Long hours and low pay

Helping / interacting with customers was the best part of the job. I worked as an entry level manager, hours and pay were terrible. There was upward mobility in management. I left for a better opportunity.

Pros

getting to be around the pets people brought it

Cons

pay, long hours and weekend work

Depends on Location

My first location was textbook definition of toxic & horrible working environment. I have many bad stories. My new location if the complete opposite. I finally enjoy working there. But I do hear stories about other stores so I believe for Petsmart as whole company it depends on your solely location for customers, coworkers and pets.

Pros

Pets, Discounts, Meeting People

Cons

Short breaks, Work environment varies by location, low pay for labor in the salon

Over worked and under appreciated

As a professional groomer at PetSmart, I found that we are extremely over worked. We are expected to meet a pretty steep grooming quota every week, which wouldn't be a such bad thing if it weren't for all of the side tasks also expected of us throughout the days. Groomers earn a 50% commission on the grooms we do, but we also have to do other things like answer phones, clean, walk-in services, etc that we are technically not compensated for since we have a commission based salary. Expected to groom 6-8 dogs a day along with performing other tasks and expected to fit in a lunch break puts a lot of stress on groomers, which can become dangerous for the pets we work on. Also, PetSmart is constantly putting out discounts and deals for customers that take away from our pay, which isn't fair. We shouldn't be paid less because the company decided to give customers a discount. I also believe the prices for a lot of the grooms we do are too low, so we aren't making as much as we could be making elsewhere for the same grooms.Overall, I think PetSmart expects way too much from their groomers for not enough pay. They also create an unsafe working environment when groomers are rushed to finish a set amount of grooms in a short amount of time.

Pros

Paid training

Cons

Short breaks, low pay, inflexible schedules

No room to advance

I was hired with the impression that I would be able to be made full time, granted I was working full time hours but only in the system as part time. After a few months it was clear no matter how hard I worked that there was no room for advancing. I also had to have an emergency surgery after working there several months and was called everyday asking me to come in. I went back to work after a week resulting in me tearing my stitches from being told to lift things I was not able to. So of the managers were amazing but the district manager never came to our location and the store manager was rarely there.

Pros

The animals

Cons

No room for advancement, poor upper management

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Love the dogs

I loved working with the dogs and sometimes the cats. Some of the animals can be wild or stubborn but that's why you have help from employees. Energetic job

Would do it over again

Actually really appreciated my time at petsmart as a lead with keys. My only complaints would be it certainly felt like my manager didn’t have my back 100% of the time. Other than that it was a great consistent job that ultimately I would do over again.

Pros

Discount / PTO

Cons

Corporate is corrupt

Amazing work atmosphere

Amazing management and staff. They are always helpful and want you to succeed. Very flexible with schedule and I would recommend anyone to work there

Do not give you the tools to be successful

Was constantly having to order my own supplies through Amazon because PetSmart is terrible at actually filling supply orders. Management is myopic and unresponsive. Was expected to work overtime constantly to make up for short-staffing because they pay dog-poo wages. Don't work here if you have any other options.

Working with animals makes it better

Lots of room for advancement. Overall good company culture and benefits. However, very high stress due to the amount of payroll allotted to the stores. It's extremely difficult to balance tasking and customer satisfaction due to there being significantly less staff scheduled.

Benefits

Cons

Work/life balance, high stress

Jobs at PetSmart

See more jobs

Not the best training

I wasn’t trained well for my position and felt unprepared. The interview process was fairly easy and straightforward. I liked the people I worked with overall.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Wage

A basic job (with dogs)

Pretty standard retail experience, really depends on your managers. The friendly dogs are a nice touch, but you do have to deal with animals all the time which isn't for everyone.

policies mean nothing

management never cares to follow animal sale denials or make sure animals were going to a good home, it was all about the money and the sales, not actual animal care.

High stress environment

Extremely high stress environment. Corporate only cares about making its money and doesn’t care about the associates in the stores. If we had a more supportive corporation and executive management this could potentially be a good company to work for…If you like running an entire store on your own at nights with only a cashier, this is the place for you…

Pros

Associates, animals

Cons

Extremely high stress, not enough coverage because of corporate

Stressful, exhausting, but worth it

The salon is amazing and all of my coworkers were like family to me. The only issues I had working here are the fact that the store management was never up to hearing both sides of the story when customers would complain to get free things or when we couldn’t take their pet for bad behavior. Not to mention the low pay for such physically demanding job.

Pros

Free snacks, amazing coworkers, tips, dogs!!

Cons

Low pay, physically exhausting

Not to bad but could be better

Over all the company is not that bad. They could very well pay better and that would help a great deal. I enjoyed my time there before Covid hit. If I could go back as a cashier only I would.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Wages

Fun working with dogs but very poor management and team

they glorified everything during the on boarding process. the store manager and the salon leader made it seem like it was an easy going job, and made you feel like you were doing good. when i started they had three groomers quit and then hired a bunch of bathers and threw us in with very little to no training on what to do. they get away with mistreating the dogs. in front and behind the pet parents backs. groomers barely wash their own dogs and they get paid to do so but they have bathers wash them. they made me do a lot that wasn’t on my job description.. they let people talk to you how they want and walk all over you and not only that if you have a problem and you address it it’s labeled as if you’re rude and mean, you cannot stand up for your self there. managers talk behind employees backs CONSTANTLY and they think it’s un noticed. and if they don’t like you they’ll drop your hours or if you have personal issues or don’t know when you’re working next (poor communication on scheduling) and miss a day they’ll just assume you’re not coming in and take you off the schedule. i would never recommend someone to work here if you have to bills to pay because they won’t give you enough hours to do so 😂

Pros

working with dogs and pups

Cons

short paychecks. no hours. drama. poor management

They waffle a lot

My initial interview was for dog training/stocking, and they hired me but only under the grooming salon. I took it because I knew I needed the job badly and I wasn't about to spit on their offer. The job training was easy enough, a little difficult to understand but fairly simple. A few months in they let me go with accusations of aggression, but it was nothing more than doing my job alone with a large dog, and that in and of itself is a hassle

Pros

Friendly staff, understanding management.

Cons

Lead groomers were a mix of nice to downright mean, the job switch bothered me since i know how to train, not groom.

Don't work here if u love animals

The only thing I learned from working here is that the company doesn't care about the animals they sell or the people they hire, they expect way too much from part time employees and they pay is awful.

Pros

If you are knowledgeable about animal care, you can try and help others learn

Cons

Company only sees the money, the employees are treated like numbered robots, the animals are only as important to the company as the tile floor in the store

PTC petsmart

Enjoyed the people and working with animals. The people were very understanding when it came to taking time off. Clean environment and easy to get along with people. This was back in 2010

Ok place to work

Started out as a bather and became a groomer. It was fun for the most part mainly negate of the people I closely worked with in the salon. Management was constantly changing and implementing different rules which often contradicted other rules.

Pros

Dogs

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss