PetSmart Employee Reviews

It was fantastic until a shift in managenent.
PetsHotel Senior (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSNovember 22, 2017
I loved my job until they gave my boss a promotion. The new manager lets a lot of in-fighting happen and it's become increasingly uncomfortable. No one likes getting yelled at. If I could have a calmer team, it'd be a fantastic place.
Pros
Stable pay, career advancement
Cons
short lunch, stressful, unaccomodating
I think petsmart is good the way it is.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXNovember 22, 2017
I really would like to help out with the dogs please. I will start my job December 1st. And I will always always come after school. I also have a disability including Autism, assburgers, OCD and another one I totally forgot just to let you know.
Pros
I will definitely be bringing a lunch from home.
Cons
I would like probaly a couple short breaks at least.
Poor Operations
Acting store manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 22, 2017
PetSmart doesn't use operational common sense in running their business. They focus on the smallest of details and the most irrelevant things, but then turn around and cut payroll to the point that you can't even maintain day to day operations without your salaried managers working 60 plus hours a week.
Fun place for pet lovers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKNovember 21, 2017
Great place to work. must be able to lift 50 lbs. many times per day. Not a fast pace place except during the holidays. Very early mornings, 5:00am. Nights are not too late, 8:00pm - 9:00pm.
Pros
Off early
Cons
Struggle to get 40 hours a week
Good part time
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, MONovember 21, 2017
I enjoyed management and co workers, Work combined with fun. The work was fast pace and I enjoyed the customers Lost of opportunity to learn and grow no matter what department you start in.
Pros
fun parties in break room
Cons
No health benefits for part timers
Enjoyed working with animals
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LANovember 20, 2017
Love working with and around animals daily. dealing with customers and answering their questions about their animals was a daily challenge I looked forward to, not only as a sales associate but becoming a part of their family
Say they will but dont
Pet care lead (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GANovember 20, 2017
Most of the time there's too many chiefs. And what ever you do don't get sick and go on medical leave. Dead lines are not good when doctors are slow .not happy.
Pros
Knowlage & animals
Cons
Hurts self esteam
Company restructured into a money grabbing mess
Presentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 20, 2017
When I started in 2011 I loved working for PetSmart, however in 2014 the company was bought out and overhauled everything. They brought in outside management that had no knowledge of the pet industry. The quality of the live animals declined due to the decreased budget. Employee hours were cut while unreasonable standards were implemented. Working there became a nightmare overnight.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work
Lead cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 19, 2017
A good company to work for just not enough pay. The lunch break is not long enough for a 8 hour shift staying on your feet. They are flexible with have a family.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
30 minute lunch break only
Great Place to Work
Management, Dog bather, Pet Trainer, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INNovember 19, 2017
I started working here thinking that it would only be a winter job, but ended up finding my niche! It's a wonderful place, honestly. If you ever want a job, where you can just be you, try Petsmart!
Love working with animals
Pet Products Associate (Current Employee) –  Avon, INNovember 19, 2017
I enjoy working at a place where customers can bring their pets in with them. However the store is poorly managed. You work hard and go above and beyond and you are not appreciated for it.
Great place to work and great staff
Night Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Hanover, NJNovember 19, 2017
I work overnight so although I wil like more hours, it’s difficult BUT other than that I enjoy it. It can be stressful at times but thats like any job
Pros
Down time as overnighter, get to be around animals, always get requested days off with no problem
Cons
can get really stressful, if daytime people leave a lot of work, sometimes work alone with over 120 dogs, but if you love dogs its not too bad
Relaxed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 18, 2017
Working at PetSmart was good experience. The management is unorganized and lazy but they were really cool and chill. They treat their animals very well and they care a lot.
Great experience
PET HOTEL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CANovember 18, 2017
I was a full time night shift worker at the Pet Hotel, not in retail, but I loved my job. I worked full time, the pay was well worth it, and the job felt very rewarding.
Face Productive work place where you can advance within the company
Trainer Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 18, 2017
Very fast pace productive work place, accomplish 3 promotions and 2 certificates. A typical day for me would check everybody productions on the weekend shift just to see if they was making production if they wasn't i would offer them more training. The hardest part for me is when i offer more training and they received more training and still wasn't able to perform productivity they would have to get terminated due to not making production.
Pros
Free lunch every we make our goal
Not Too Shabby for a starter position or for management
Animal Care Specialist/Pet Trainer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 18, 2017
It's a decent place overall. Depending on what store you're applying to will weigh greatly in your experiences with the company. It depends much upon your management staff/experience/ & store location/traffic.
Pros
Discounts, animals
Cons
Pain in the rear customers & low pay scale
Unfair treatment and poor hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TX 75040November 17, 2017
I was the youngest worker, at 18, so I expected some confrontation, but nothing like this. I was treated like a child and was often excluded from in and out of work activities. Towards February, I became very very ill with the Shingles virus and they cut my hours from 20-30 a week to only 4 hours a week. Four. Hours. I couldn't make ends meet so I complained very respectfully and nicely. The gm didn't sit with me and take me seriously, instead, he continued to walk away and talk to me with his mouth full thus, I quit right then and there.
Pros
Long lunch/dinner breaks and discounts on products
Cons
Poor hours, working 7+ hours with no break, and rude coworkers
Handled transactions
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 17, 2017
My job was to handle transactions of products from the store to check out people and make sure their experience at the store was excellent. To provide great customer service
Do not work here anymore
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PANovember 17, 2017
Not here anymore, this is not my most current job, indeed you need to fix this problem. I do not want this part time job to be the first one they see!
Great Starter Job
Bather/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VANovember 16, 2017
Low pay and no benefits for Bathers, but if you want to be a groomer there is potential for a decent income. The employee discounts are nice if you have a pet as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.