PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 7,386 reviews matching the search See all 7,883 reviews
Recommend if u need a job
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 16, 2019
They take half of your commission and off discount that comes out of your half of your commission. I felt like I was getting robbed.they did have good benefits and offered groomers discounts
Toss up
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TexasJune 16, 2019
It’s fun to work there, but if you aren’t into the drama and gossip they will make you apart of it. Managers hang with associates when they aren’t supposed to. Favoritism and retaliation happens way too often. Thank you but no thank you.
All about the number
Customer Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 16, 2019
Used to be about the pets the company is now directed into making the metrics. Work life balance as a manager is nill. I was talked about negatively while I was morning.the loss of my husband by my superior.
If managers had been better.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJune 16, 2019
I enjoyed petsmart to an extent. But once the most recent assistant manager took over it just went down hill. Hours were cut because you werent her favorite. Or if they had no one scheduled for someones lunch time they would schedule someone who lived 30 minutes away to come in for an hour of work
It’s a decent place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 15, 2019
It can be a great job for high school students and for anyone that is in college but management isn’t so great. They really need work because some of their attitudes are making the place a bad place to work. No room for advancement. I can say a lot more but I’ll keep it to myself.
Stay for the dogs
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 15, 2019
Petsmart was a good opportunity while putting myself through school, but has become increasingly poorly managed. Management doesn't care about you and workers aren't properly paid for what's asked of them. The only reason I stayed for so long was because of the dogs.
Productive and fun environment to work in.
Associate Manager/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJune 15, 2019
Petsmart was my favorite job, my co workers were very helpful and positive to work with. It was overall a great experience. I would recommend working there to anyone.
Pros
We had vending machines and always free food
Cons
A lot of tasks and not many people liked helping
Poor management
Petcare (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 15, 2019
I liked working here at first. I’ve been with the company for over a year now and here is what I’ve noticed over time:
-The store is VERY money driven
-there is always more to do and even when you try your hardest, it’s never enough
-my store’s management was very manipulative and would guilt the associates if they weren’t selling enough donations or telling where every costumer was at all times which made the customers uncomfortable
-the managers would team up against associates
-the managers would stop using certain products to treat fish in the back because it would lose the store more money
-oventimes one manager in particular would leave sick hamsters out on the store floor and wouldn’t check new arrivals which once led 5 animals to die in less than a week...
-the pay was severely low for all of the work that was being completed

The list goes on
Pros
Cute animals
Cons
Poor pay, management
High stress and low pay
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INJune 14, 2019
Low pay for the responsibilities and hours of work. With little to no opportunities for promotion. It was hard to make ends meat with what they paid..
Fun work environment
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 14, 2019
Overall I enjoyed my experience working with petsmart. I was fresh out of high school and was looking for a job where I could work with animals while I was going to school. This job is perfect for people who are animal lovers and have great customer service skills.
Poor Management
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2019
The main reason why I left was due to the poor management skills at PetSmart. Not to say the managers were bad people or treated me unfairly its just that they were always late to do things/forgot.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Viera, FLJune 13, 2019
I love my job it goes from quick pace to slow pace but during quick pace other employees are always willing to help out. It’s a very relaxed job and customers are amazing
A great place to work
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2019
Overall a great and friendly place to work. You can bring your pets with you to work. The culture in the corporate headquarters and field operations is great.
terrible work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 13, 2019
petsmart was okay to work for but the managers made it terrible. they didn't back you up with customers where in wrong. and never wanted to help when we needed it.
Stressful very money motivated
Groomer/Bather (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2019
They expected you do groom 7 to 8 dogs a day average in and 8 hour work day 4 dogs in the morning with an hour lunch in between and 3 or 4 dogs in the afternoon. Averaging about an hour for each bath dry and cut per dog impossible. Estimated pick up time was 2 to 3 hours of a dog but when you have 4 dogs to do in those 3 hours it’s impossible. I often would not eat lunch and would just clock out and wash dogs on my lunch hour
Pros
Free baths for personal dog
Cons
Stressful
it was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 13, 2019
This was a nice place to work it's just it's kind of like a Shooting Gallery and having an employee to tell you one thing and then GM tell you another that is not okay. there needs to be more Consistency.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
most things
Poor Management and Co - Workers
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Watchung, NJJune 13, 2019
I WOULD NOT recommend working here. Especially in the grooming salon. If you are starting as a bather and have hope in becoming a groomer let me start by saying they don't pay you very well nor give you many hours. They do not train very well or at all. The salon manager was a joke. She was suppose to be training new employees and helping current ones and she was not doing so. Non of the employees take their job seriously. They violate company policy often by texting/ being on their cell phones even while grooming peoples pets. There is no team work. Instead of being supportive and helping one another they have attitudes towards one another. The bathers and new employees in the salon get treated the worst. The way they treat you is disrespectful and act like they're better than you. It makes for a VERY hostile work environment. The store management isn't helpful and instead plays favorites. Its all one big joke. So if you're looking to become a groomer / bather. Don't go to PetSmart. At least not that location.
Pros
Work with different dogs.
Cons
Management, safety, no over time, poor pay
Great work environment
Pet Stylist/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2019
Petsmart is an amazing experience. Fast paced, pay is good, paid time off and flexible with your schedule. They take great care of their employees and customers
Stressful environment, unsupportive management, lots of bugs
Overnight Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 12, 2019
The flies and other critters in the store are enough to make you think twice. Do not expect validation for hard work. Do not expect compensation for being the hardest working. Any way Petsmart can avoid giving you money; example, not offering full time, cutting hours during slow seasons, cutting pay increase at time of pay review, managements inability to acknowledge your hard work to people in authority. They use bug zappers and fly strips instead of implementing healthy cleaning routines. And when someone tries to go above expectations with cleaning, coworkers take advantage and leave a lot for you to clean. Not a team environment at all, with no support system from upper management. I was super disappointed after working there for more than half the year.
Pros
Experience with all breeds, you’re by yourself (no boss around)
Cons
Infested store, unsupportive management, poor pay, exhausting work for NOT enough pay
Very nice to place to work
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCJune 12, 2019
The head manager was a very nice and understanding man and flexible to work with and for! It was all about the animals and helping someone find a pet.
Pros
flexible work place
Cons
may not get your 15 minute break, but wasn't that bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
42.5K
31.9K

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight