PetSmart

Found 10,724 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,539 reviews
animalpetdoggroomingbathersalongroomergroomers

Productive and fun workplace environment. Both Employees and customers

Featured review

PetSmart selected this as a representative review
My experience at PetSmart. The employees are welcoming, concerning, and supportive. The schedule is flexible. I learned a variety of skills needed for the store to be successful. the management encourages employee success. The workplace and culture is fantastic.The hardest part of the job was when I tried to work as a groomer. I was not successful at that so the manager found what I was successful at. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with customers. I would still be there if I had not been laid off due to COVID-19 staff reductions.

Independent work environment.

This job was a great starting point for anyone wanting experience in management, retail, cashiering, and stocking. Depending on what location you work for, usually you will gain experience in all of those fields. The management that I had worked under was very hands-off and had extreme expectations. However, I know that they have since hired a new management team.

PetSmart insights

Based on 5,565 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

Draining with terrible management

Worked there for 3 years where we were treated terribly by pet parents and other staff. They left us understaffed all of the time, there was less hours based on corporate needs regardless of how busy we were and never once did I go up for review or get a pay raise. Corporate published we had a record breaking year and we were frequently top for sales which was pushed on us when we were rotated around and frequently not in the department we were supposed to be in. Instead of a raise or a small bonus or anything really we were “gifted” very cheap branded items. Which felt like a huge slap in the face considering the abuse all staff was under by management, groomers who hated anyone who was not a groomer and pet parents. While I loved the animals I hated this company.

Worked here years ago

Just mainly filling this out in order to look at something else. Petsmart was fine, I worked there a million years ago and it paid terribly at the time.

Good working environment

Enjoyed my time here, coworkers were supportive and a good team. Managers were understanding and would want to actively help get you in the best position for you

Great people, good customers, fine job

Loved everyone I worked with. Customers were kind most of the time. The work was work, could be boring or frustrating but the people made it better. Pay was good all things considered. Scheduling was interesting. Either 10 hours or 30 and no consistency but that’s what you sign up for in retail, I know everyone was doing their best.

Anything for Profits

Petcare is a joke. They don't have the space,time,or knowledge to care for the animals they sell. So many sick and dying animals....The petshotel is worse! There is not enough time to take care of the number of dogs and cats they pile on the staff. The play rooms are entirely too small for the amount of animals they out in there.

Great learning experience but terrible managment

I was a Pet Trainer for PetSmart for about a year and with being an animal lover and passionate about animal care, it was a great learning experience for me. I worked hard to make it enjoyable for myself and others but unfortunately the retail and numbers aspect of this job made it miserable after a few months. I voiced many times for a better effort of support from my store AND assistant manager but there was no give and constantly received attitude for basic requests. They essentially didn't care for much aside from making sales and handled customer and animal issues very poorly. We were constantly under staffed and it caused unprofessional and uncomfortable situations. When it came to being understaffed in our pet care dept. the managers would be very careless which resulted in A LOT of loss of our small pets/reptiles. It became really hard to promote a place when you know what goes on behind the scenes. When working as their pet trainer, there was 0 support when i asked my managers well over several times for it. As the Pet trainer it is very much like you run your own service. Your expected of all sales for your service which is understandable to a degree. But my managers were incompetent and unhelpful and were okay with it. I asked many times if they wanted me to go over different aspects that go into training (setting weekly sale goals, courses for each month and how it works, ways to help market the class when i'm not able to, etc.) to help us all be on the same page and they'd always give me a "im busy, maybe later" answer. But would get upset when sales weren't -

Pros

store discount, cute animals

Cons

bad management, constantly understaffed, hostile environment, constantly overworked

Fun but exhausting

It is a fun place to work to be with the animals and learn new things! It is very fast paced worked. Always a go go go attitude. Very understaffed right now though

None yet

Not sure what to think yet. At first everyone seemed great and nice now I feel like no one likes me. On top of that I was having health issues W/ everything else and now my hours went to 10 hours a week to none.

Productive, fun and unforgettable

I will never forget my time working at Petsmart. I met some amazing people, experienced some of the best, and some of the most challenging times in my career but learned from it all. I loved working with the dogs and cats in the pets hotel and it was never a dull day. I started as entry level and made my way into a supervisory role so there is growth potential if you work hard.

Don’t stay for more than a year

Do not get a job here if you desire to climb up the ladder. Many talented and hardworking people ended up leaving our store because they were not compensated for their efforts. Instead you get a little card with a note saying thank you, or digital points that are worth almost nothing. These people deserved to get raises, promotions, or in the least more hours, but in the end they get nothing.

Pros

Seeing animals all the time, many different things to learn to diversify your work life

Cons

No compensation for efforts, insufficient training

It’s a love hate

When I started petsmart I loved it, then we hat a new manager and I had to fight to lean more I’m where I’m at because of ME with the support of a few groomers, management it’s poor quality. Your very lucky if you find a supported one they are there but rare. The benefits for me were amazing it didn’t brake the bake and I was 100% able to improve my life…

Very good job if you are dedicated to what you want to do

I enjoyed the people I worked with and everyone was really nice. The only bad part was dealing with the customers and sometimes felt like I should be paid more for some of the stuff we had to go through. I would recommend this job for anyone that is really determined to advance in their career and hard-working.

People make work fun and also make work horrible

it can be a fun environment to be in but most of the time, management is not on your side, whether it's immediate management or higher ups, they can just make your day more difficult. Great coworkers can make up for it.

Pros

learn new things, entry level for people who want to work with animals

Cons

compensation will never match the amount of work

Sweet salon manager and always room to move up and be a groomer.

The workplace can get stressful like many places, but the managers are all helpful and encouraging. You can start off as a bather and go to the grooming academy to become a groomer. The job is rewarding because you make pets feel their best and pet parents happy with the care you give their pets. Stressful, but overall a good place to work if you can handle stress.

draining and not supportive

my time at petsmart has been nothing but stressful and making my mental health worse. my managers and my coworkers do not defend me at all from the abuse from customers and it’s just not worth it

Low pay and micromanaging

Pay is not good and they watch from cameras. It is your responsibility to take care of 300+ cats and dogs within 8hrs including daily deep cleanings. If a dog attacks you the general store manager would call it being playing and not taking injuries seriously. They also had another employee who neglected the animals and management did nothing.

Solitary position

I actually loved working here for my summer job right out of high school. It paid a little more than minimum wage but I’m an introvert so it was happy

Worst job personally

I've had 7 jobs in my life (quit not fired from), and this has to be the worst. Working with the animals is the only up side. They gave very little hours and would get me in trouble for trying to help costumers with coupons or buying cheaper brands. I put guests first, but the company wants to milk the guest for every penny. Wouldn't recommend

Well paid, fast paced environment.

I was a Store Leader with PetSmart for about 6 years. It is a great well paid position but comes with a lot of accountability with KPI's and overall behaviors from your team. Inventory management is a huge focus and services like pet training, salon, and hotel.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Managing multiple tasks with little labor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

57%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare PetSmart with

PetSmart reviews by popular job title

• PetSmart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?