PetSmart Employee Reviews

Found 6,619 reviews matching the search See all 7,047 reviews
Horrible work environment with worse management
DC Associate (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVAugust 25, 2018
Not only are the production expectations ridiculously high, the new hire turnaround is jaw dropping. Not to mention, the new hires that were making more than me to start, after my fourth year of employment, when they raised the base pay to try and stay competitive with the businesses in the surrounding area. The problems that existed before I started working there were exactly the same as when I left 4 1/2 years later. I was constantly berated by and written up by managment for these problems. By far, the worst place I've ever worked and I was a package handler at FedEx ground during the holiday season.
Pros
Free lunch once or twice a year
Cons
Management, management, management
Started well, then became a nightmare
Employee (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CANovember 29, 2018
Just like the title says - started well, ended as a nightmare. PetSmart was fine for a long time. I might even say I really enjoyed it for a long time. Then after the company got bought, everything changed and the culture of the company vanished. Employees became numbers and little else.

And don't get me started on the District Manager. I've never worked for someone who was so disrespectful, rude, condescending, and vindictive. She was horrific to management, constantly making them think they were going to be fired or demoted. She even made them cry. She was awful to associates and usually didn't even speak to them. Unless she was criticizing what they were doing.

By the time I left, I hated the place so much I haven't been able to shop there since I left.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything else, especially upper and corporate management
Somewhat a good first job.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 10, 2018
This is a good job to have while you are in high school or just graduated from high school or you want to move up in the company as a manager. Just being a cashier or an associate will not benefit you in the long run even if you are full time. They do not give you a raise annually like they initially tell you. Then a lot of the times employees quit or stop showing up to work, which means hiring new staff all the time. The store I worked at was always losing employees and hiring new ones. I was there for almost 5 years, I never got a raise and I worked hard because we were always short staffed.
Pros
15% discounts and 30% discounts
Cons
Management is a joke, short lunch breaks and no raises.
Very bad managment from CEO levels
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 12, 2018
Petsmart has become more about the money and less about the people that work there. They push you to your limit ,and farther. Their expectation from their employees are unreachable. Very demeaning, misogynistic, and rude CEO's. Workplaces culture is very unsettling. Many people try to get others fired, career advancements are limited. Management back tracks on things they promise, and keeps people that have injured animals multiple times on the team even after probationary period.
Management in the store itself is doing the best they can with what they are allowed to do.
Pros
15% off merchandise
Cons
CEO management and workplace culture
Exciting to work with earthy customers who thrive on providing the healthiest lives for their pets.
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York StateDecember 5, 2018
This job had little room for advancement and promotions were a joke. Aside from that I enjoyed learning and ultimately guiding people in a solid direction when it comes to the wellbeing of their pets. I played the role off a salesman... being informative and accurate in my advise and suggestions, while making no commission. It was a learning experience that has helped me in my life after the job.
Pros
Fun to work with animals as well as learn about new products.
Cons
Poor salary, little room for advancement. My management was poor at best.
Good and recommended. Not great.
Orderfill (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILAugust 22, 2018
Friendly people, made a lot of friends. Job can be fun some days. Slow summers, very busy winters. Many opportunities to try different job functions. Regular breaks. 4 days a week. Par pay. Despite it's flaws, I recommend giving it a shot.
Pros
Friendly people, Enjoyable job, Employee suggestions are taken seriously, Excellent work-life balance during non-holiday season, Good GM, dept manager, some supervisors are laid back and make the job less stressful, Prorated vacation time after 90 days of employment, 2 weeks of vacation time every January 1
Cons
Don't get the lowest tier health insurance--it's terrible, Mandated overtime during holiday seasons, Management favoritism is a huge problem, Promotions go to favorites, Some supervisors will nitpick and put you on formal write-ups for asinine things, any write-up destroys your promotability
Fun work environment, low hours and pay
Pet Stylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLSeptember 10, 2018
The work you did was fun and fulfilling.
The management from outside in the store had little involvement in the salon often times creating stressful situations unknowingly.
Large amounts of miscommunication.
The Groomers are on commission, and only seem to care about getting their dogs haircuts done, leaving the hourly-bathers to do all of the cleaning, secretary work, and everything else under the sun.
Management plays favorites.
However, you do develop close friendships with your coworkers as you are put on display, for the customers, fumbling with untrained dogs.
Pros
Work environment/culture
Cons
Pay, Hours, Benefits, Management
energetic and fun work place, get to work with animals
Associate Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2018
I enjoy working with the animals and helping the pet parents make their pets happy. Overall PetSmart is a great place to work for a retail job. I feel they should give more overtime opportunities and give fair raises on hard work, not favoritism. Majority of my team are fair and hard working individuals. IT is also a nice welcoming environment that judges you on your work ethic not your appearance, race, or ethnicity and I love that as well.
Pros
i was able to move up to management in a short period of time, my team are great people to work with
Cons
not enough overtime, lowsalary, not enough benefits
No advancement, worst management
Early Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 9, 2018
The pay is decent and the benefits ok. The management will not respect your availability; the will schedule you when you say you cannot work, and it is up to you to cover your shift then. No chance of promotion. I was promised one 2 years ago, and every time it opened up (which was a lot) they hired someone externally, or promoted someone whom they admitted wasn't as good as me. Only work here if you are desperate and won't be here long.
Pros
Ok pay, good benefits
Cons
Poor management, no advancement
Amazing, fun, and supportive.
Pet Care Specialist, General Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 23, 2018
Working for PetSmart is a great place to start for animal lovers. Getting to spend time with the animals learning new things from experience, seniors, and management. Managers take initiative to ensure every worker is trained correctly, and aware of opportunities for advancement. Overall I loved working for this company, my managers, and with my team members.
Pros
Advancement, fair pay, great management
Cons
long hours, a little hard to work with schedule
Going downhill
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ArkansasSeptember 14, 2018
When I started, I was amazed at how supportive Petsmart was and how quickly I was booted up to a grooming position. I will always be thankful for the training I received there. I can get a job practically anywhere as a groomer. HOWEVER. In the short amount of time I was there (a year and a half), they went from being supportive to not caring at all about the employees. After all of the incidents happening with dogs dying and being injured, the employees became the enemy. Any little thing could get you in trouble and fired. We had a salon-wide meeting where they told us to consider that meeting our first verbal warning. Afterwards, any problems would automatically be a write up or go to HR and we were specifically told that HR loves to fire groomers on the spot. Petsmart thinks the customer is always right. ALWAYS. I was literally told that it didn't matter if I was being cursed at, threatened, whatever, that I had to bend over and take it. Some not so nice words were said in those meetings. Petsmart thinks they're doing everything they can to fix their problems, but everyone I know wants to leave as soon as their contracts are up.
Pros
Benefits for Full Time
Cons
Fun, wonderful job for college kids
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXOctober 25, 2018
I started working here after I turned 18, I love the work environment and also love the management. It was a really fun job and I wish I could’ve stayed they just didn’t have the hours I needed. Really easy, and fun and you get a hang around with little animals every day. What more could you ask for!! They are so keep up with your raises and how well you do at work it makes you feel really appreciated.
Pros
Animals, management
Cons
Hours
Very disappointed
Merchandise Fulfillment Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 30, 2018
Too many meetings, too many changes in management, too many different management styles. No freedom to work as your own person and product quality work. To CLEAR expectations when projects are given out which causes 3, 4, sometiems 5 itterations of the same thing. Working around pets sounds good until you are really trying to work and there is no peace and quiet.

Compensation and benefits were really good, the campus is amazing, but the culture didn't match.
Very stressful and almost always busy
PROFESSIONAL PET STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CANovember 25, 2018
Computer super slow due to bad systems. Management is not helpful. Sexual harassment ran rampant at my store and HR doesn't do much when you call them. Groomers are treated like regular retail sales floor workers with being asked to do everything while trying to be in the salon grooming dogs as well. Expect to be asked to do more you can handle because sure enough you already get paid "too much".Pay was great even going down to part time but you have to take a lot of dogs to get there. Don't expect help from anyone and know the policy if you're in the salon. You can get fired if you forget it. Expect to be harassed by customers once they find your social media to groom their dogs on the side or squeeze them in that day. expect to get yelled at by management for not doing enough work.
Pros
Good pay if you take more dogs.
Cons
poor management, HR wont help you
Goal-oriented amazing place to be a part of
Pet Care associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 7, 2018
This job really kept me going. A normal day consisted of assisting customers and facing the store during open hours, and completing closing procedures after hours. Closing procedures included making sure all animals enclosures were clean, provided clean water and fresh food, treating/observing/interacting with animals in isolation, switching from day to night lights, changing sump filters, and taking out trash. Management followed an open door policy and ran with the company goal of providing the best service to pet parents to assist in bettering the human-animal bond. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a pet-parent leave the store happy with their PetSmart experience.
Pros
Ample breaks for hours worked, great full-time benefits
Cons
Great Place to hangout w/ Furry Friends!
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  NJOctober 11, 2018
I love working for Petsmart for the fact that I'm around pets all day long. The work can be very stressful: sales goals, training staff, scheduling, working crazy long hours, poor management, and not afforded enough time or labor for staff to get all the work done. BUT the pets makes it very tolerable. I love animals and being around them can be very therapeutic during trying times at to work.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Would have been better with proper management.
Customer Service Associate - Pet Care (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PADecember 2, 2018
I was in the petcare department, though also trained for cashier and hotel.

My store had a terrible store manager for a year that brought the quality of my job down a lot. Even after he was gone the people brought in to clean his mess made it very difficult to work there, and it was made clear that the company would rather bring in New employees from outside the store than promote current employees. They also kept their employees just under the full time hour mark so that they didn't have to pay us benefits.

Corporate made it clear that they did not care about the employees, and often they barely showed care for the animals. The individuals at each store could easily make or break the quality of the job.

Had one amazing manager that made a lot of things better. He was passed up for a promotion as well. He deserved better.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
Great idea. Greedy company
PET CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Lots of higher up management shifting around from store to store. Employees dont last long. Alot of straight out of high school, first time job people so lots of lack of experience and management doesnt want to train. Two store managers and two assistant store managers have been fired from my store alone for theft. Overworked while being underpaid. Favoritism is how people get promoted. Not actual workmanship. Too many dogs have health problems in hotel because young adults dont care and managers trying too hard to be cool instead of being a boss. Quite a few dogs have died in the hotel from lack of attention. Theres so much more to name but now ive gotten mad just thinking of this place.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Underpaid, overworked, hard work doesnt pay off
Formerly a great place to make a career.
Home Office Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
PetSmart was, until a few years ago, a best in class place to work. They had excellent training, succession and mentor programs. Hiring was typically from within. The company was successful most years. Pay was decent and bonuses were quite good.

Unfortunately, the company went private in a highly leveraged buyout. They followed this up by spending $3.5 billion to acquire Chewy.com. Because of the interest on these loans, they now have little free income to continue to grow or maintain the company. The outcome is entirely predictable.

They have now fired almost all of the leadership team put in place during the buyout and have brought in a new CEO with solid retail experience. There are hopeful signs. time will tell.
Pros
Great campus. Many great people. Decent pay.
Cons
Company is still in decline.
Im sure its different in other petsmarts.
BACK ROOM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 20, 2018
Petsmart was a nice place to work except for the power struggle between management. The management at the Petsmart i worked at had a operations manager and a product manager and they both were grabbing for power so if you were OK with one the other one made your life a hard. Eventually one got fired and the other got promoted and one of the assistant manager moved up and made me train my lead while looking me over. The reason i left was because my HR manager was having family problems and I called out which put me in her sights so i left. All in all it was a fun place to work but management needs work. So i do recommend working for Petsmart but only if there isn't a power struggle, know who the boss is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
42.2K
31.7K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PetSmart.

Powered by Comparably