PetSmart Employee Reviews

51.8K
42K
31.5K
Found 5,824 reviews matching the search See all 6,197 reviews
Not a good choice for anyone
Professional Bather (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 20, 2018
I worked in the grooming salon. To be completely honest, a lot of against policy stuff happens back in the salon. Too many dogs and not enough time to dry them all. Dogs are left with the cage dryers on them for an hour or more at a time depending on the schedule. Dogs are tied and left to sit in the baths unattended, you're not allowed to turn down a nail trim so if you have four nail trims that dog could be sitting back in the bath tied up and wet for anywhere between 20-40 minutes depending on how fast you are with nail trims. The salon manager lets you have customers that you charge the minimum for, so that you can get the tip money under the table.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Coworkers stab each other for tipping customers, unsafe practices make the workplace a scary place to work
Busy Bee
Stocker/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJJune 20, 2018
I work all positions so it gets a bit crazy sometimes abut the job is nice. Hours are less then wanted at times. Pay is not the worst. Always have something to do.
Pros
learning new things each day
Cons
not enough hours
great for hands on work with pets
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 19, 2018
not enough support from management. corporate has unrealistic ideals for management and associates to handle for the rate of pay they get. they continue to add on more and more tasks with no additional hours or help allowed. there is a general 'money hungry' feel to the corporation now. a lot of their services can't match with new and up and coming companies because they refuse to spend money on updating things or fixing things that are not considered safety issue.
Pros
friendly associates, team work feel, benefits, vacation, working with animals
Cons
rate of pay, support system
Great place!
Grant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2018
Great place to work! I had to relocate but this was my favorite employer. There is room for improvement much like any other place BUT this company treats their employees well and it feels good to be appreciated there!
It's a nice place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 19, 2018
Working at Petsmart for me is great. We are like family. Sometimes when the store is busy you can feel like it is understaffed but you do your best to get the job done. I feel the management is open and there for you.
Pros
for me is working with people
Cons
nothing different then any other job.
work place for single people
Unloader/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2018
It is a good place to work if you don't have kids. I have 5 kids and they require alot of attention. working nights is not good for someone who has kids and wants to spend time with them.
Pros
good people
Cons
working nights
Fun work place
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAJune 19, 2018
A lot of customer service. Great interaction with co-workers. management is well maintained and helpful. I'm always learning something new at my store. Sometimes it can get overwhelming during the weekends as we get extremely busy but we always tackle every situation with our team player roles. I love helping our customers and making sure they have found everything they were looking for and well taken care of. It's a great place to work, I love it there.
Fun and easy going place to work
PET CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, LA,June 18, 2018
If your looking for a place that treats its employees fairly and has good oppurtunities for advancement if your willing to work for it this is a great place for that. Management when I was employeed were the best I have ever experianced they check on new employees regularly and training lasts 2 weeks where they have you assigned with an experianced member to ask questions and relay knowledge. Staff is polite and friendly to everyone and extremely helpful.
basic job
DOG TRAINER (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 18, 2018
just another underpaid job. it was fun working with the animals. the environment you get depends on the manager working, as with most jobs. uniform is too uptight for the environment
Amazing workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 18, 2018
The managers really care about their employees. As long as you show up when scheduled and help out, they will help back in any way they can. Everything is dealt with in a professional manner and the company overall is a great company to work for. Always room for advancement and if you start in one area and think you might like another, it is easy to be trained elsewhere.
Pros
Dogs
Great Job
Petcare Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 18, 2018
I love New Animal day its dope. The people are dope and honestly I can't think of very many bad things to say about this job. The animals make the job worth it just by itself and even makes it easy to work with everyone even if they are a bit abrasive.
Loved my job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Arden, NCJune 18, 2018
I loved my job at PetSmart, I honestly was just ready for a change. While there they gave me so many opportunities and opened so many doors for me. It was a great start but I'm ready to try new things.
Quick paced typical retial store
Department Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJune 18, 2018
A "typical day" at PetSmart does not exist. Obviously weekends and holidays are busiest because most people are off from work. Other than groomers, management are the only full time employees, which sometimes can make things difficult. The most difficult part of my job is the never ending additional responsibilities, policies and procedures, and communicating all of these changes to staff.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be caring for the animals and adopting them out into good homes.
Pros
Interracting with customers' and their pets
Cons
insufficient staff
Very Fast Paced
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 18, 2018
Expected way to much out of just one employee to run the whole side of the store. They put way to much work load on the Pet Care associates and expected everything to be 100% perfect.
horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJune 18, 2018
the management is horrible they dont care if you have a family you get wrote up if you call out twice a year they see you as a number they dont care about You they only care about the company they dont care about customers only the money
Pros
the money
Cons
management not family oriented retail
working at petsmart
Associate (Current Employee) –  Pinole, CAJune 18, 2018
are constantly caring for animals coming in, must be a fast worker and should be good at multitasking.

new management isnt too friendly.

close to a lot of shops and food places.
Fun job with career advancement
Merchandise and Inventory Leader (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 17, 2018
PetSmart provides a different atmosphere compared to most retail chains due to the variety of animals and entertaining customer/pet interactions. Communication is somewhat lacking in some areas but can be improved upon nonetheless. All staff members are nice and willing to work to further improve store culture and sales.
Pros
pets!
terrible management
Sales Associate, Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 17, 2018
Animals were not kept in the best conditions and we as employees could not do anything to help them. Management was terrible and some managers did not know anything about animals that were not dogs or cats.
I enjoyed working at petsmart
Seasonal Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJune 17, 2018
As a cashier it is pretty laid back. It does get busy form time to time but still pretty simple and you have other workers there to back you up if need be. They gave me pretty good pay for a part time seasonal cashier.
Stressful place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 16, 2018
Strefful place to work, always under-staffed, horrible management. Unorganized, high prices, careless associates, unfair scheduling. Bad pay, rough environment. Low discount rate.
Pros
None!
Cons
Worst store in the area to be at!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

76out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PetSmart.

Powered by Comparably