PetSmart Pay & Benefits reviews: Pet Sitter

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 8,287 reviews
It's a great place to work because you can look at animals all day.
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 9, 2019
It was a good place to work at. The pay was decent. Management wasn't all that but it was a great job to have while in school and paying minimum to no bills.
fun work place because of coworkers
PET CARE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2019
poor management, i'm the best worker yet they give me 8 hours a week and im a student plus i have open availability. also the mangers play favorites. this job you can't live off.
Pros
good team member
Cons
short hours, sucky managers
Toxic Corporate Culture
PET CARE LEAD (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJuly 31, 2019
You don't advance by being competent and honest, you advance by brown-nosing your superiors. I watched multiple people who were completely unqualified and/or clueless get promoted beyond their abilities. Hard work is rewarded with a pittance raise, usually less than 50 cents, during your yearly review. PetSmart does not give raises based on cost of living and will start you at minimum. If you work there several years, and minimum wage gets raised in your state, congrats, you make minimum wage again. New hires will then make more than you before long. Animal care is secondary to money. Sell sell sell.
Uninformed Coworkers and Lacking Managers
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJuly 23, 2019
I worked at PetSmart for about five months. I was a Pet Care Associate, also trained as a cashier, so I spent the majority of my time working with animals or customers looking for items related to their small animals, reptiles, and birds. As someone who has extensive knowledge on small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and of birds, I was really disappointed by the lack of knowledge the rest of my coworkers had regarding them. Birds don't and can't live off just seeds, and they need relatively big cages, not those tiny cages PetSmart sells. They also need outside time from their cages. Same with rabbits and guinea pigs. Many of our customers were uninformed about reptiles and their lighting requirements, and my coworkers did OK explaining, but didn't cover all bases. Coworkers were mostly nice though. Mostly our customers were awful about our fish. You can't put a plecostomus in a 5 gallon tank, nor can you just release them into the lake near your house once they get too big for you. They'll die, or mess up the ecosystem as they are an invasive species to my state. PetSmart has a policy where you can say no to a sale of an animal, but management wouldn't let you do that for fish. Now, moving away from the ignorance of coworkers and customers in regards to animals, I'd like to talk about the ignorance to mental illness and health that management has. I'm someone struggling with my health, and always have. I was put on lithium in June, and I had become progressively more sick. By the end of my taking the medication, I was throwing up daily and I was shaking violently shortly  more... after taking it each time (3 times a day). I missed a lot of work, but every single day was covered by a doctor's note. I was immediately taken off the medication once my psychiatrist became aware of my side effects. I felt better almost instantly. Work, however, was extremely lacking in understanding. Despite my notes, I was threatened with termination. Now, I understand my absences cause issues because the store is always understaffed, but I was violently sick and not by my choice. I received an action plan, which says I don't miss any work without an excuse (which I had for each time), and I would call out at least an hour beforehand. I had a couple callouts because of my mental health being very bad (mental breakdowns constantly, panic attacks, etc.). By that point I had realised the stress of this work place, where no one cared to acknowledge or offer assistance relating to my health. In fact, they could care less. I left in early July, and while I'm still struggling, I am doing much better, and found a job with actual benefits, which PetSmart refuses to have for part-time. The only way to be full-time was to be a manager. So, overall, my experience was not great. I couldn't cover everything, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. So, pay was ok for an entry level job, but the benefits and compassion lacked so severely it wasn't worth it.  less
Will hire you 'part time' but beware
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJuly 20, 2019
Just when it comes to your one-year evaluation, raise, and benefit qualifications, they tell you that because they required you to start part-time for 6 months, you had to be put in as seasonal. Time spent working as seasonal does not count towards your company time to qualify for a raise or benefits. Also, tuition reimbursement is only for advancing up the PetSmart ladder, which from what I have seen, does nothing because they prefer to higher from outside the company rather than within.
Tough managment
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXJuly 3, 2019
Hours were all over the place, closing manager over plan-o-grams was great. Helped us learn new things and kept us up to date on everything. Co-workers were great and willing to help each other.
Pros
most holidays off
Cons
short breaks
Stressful environment, unsupportive management, lots of bugs
Overnight Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 12, 2019
The flies and other critters in the store are enough to make you think twice. Do not expect validation for hard work. Do not expect compensation for being the hardest working. Any way Petsmart can avoid giving you money; example, not offering full time, cutting hours during slow seasons, cutting pay increase at time of pay review, managements inability to acknowledge your hard work to people in authority. They use bug zappers and fly strips instead of implementing healthy cleaning routines. And when someone tries to go above expectations with cleaning, coworkers take advantage and leave a lot for you to clean. Not a team environment at all, with no support system from upper management. I was super disappointed after working there for more than half the year.
Pros
Experience with all breeds, you’re by yourself (no boss around)
Cons
Infested store, unsupportive management, poor pay, exhausting work for NOT enough pay
Okay place to work
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INJune 6, 2019
Pay could be better, hours were kept 30 minutes under 40 so you didn’t get benefits but worked full time hours, store manager at the time was so bad/condescending most of the staff quit within a month of him starting.
Pros
Discounts, dogs, friendly coworkers
Cons
Managers, pay isn’t great
Great co workers, okay management, BAD PAY FOR PET CARE ASSOCIATES.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2019
I was hired as a cashier and then they changed my position to pet care without telling me. Was expected to clean all the cages, care for sick animals, stock items, customer service, cashier work, care for all of the animals, for only 12.50 an hour. I requested for my position to be changed due to misunderstanding and it was denied. I left because of the horrible pay and enormous responsibility. I would have stayed if it was 15 an hour for all of those responsibilities. I also had to recommend food i knew was not good. Hours were good especially if you are a student (although early, mostly 7-1 or 7-3) or closing shifts, but pay sucks. If you work as a cashier, then work for petsmart, dont do petcare unless you want enormous responsibility for horrible pay. Cashiers are paid to practically do nothing.
Pros
Discount, nice co workers, good hours, paid weekly
Cons
Lack of good pay
Friendly coworkers, good experiences, valuable lessons, knowledge comes easy
Pet Care Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 22, 2019
I learned a lot about animals, from how to take care of them to basic biology. I learned how to sell products and ensure customers of the facts they require. The employees were friendly and well mannered, and respectful.
PetSmart seemed like a constant battle for hours, they give out very small raises after six months, and don't allow anyone who is not in management to work more than 30 hours a week.
Pros
knowledge, experience, friendships, exposure to animals, salesmanship
Cons
competitive for hours, low pay, low benefits, short hours, slow paced
Fun work environment
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMay 20, 2019
I worked at petsmart all through High school it was my real first job. I made so many life long friends who now 15 years later I still stay in contact with. I went back to work for Petsmart as part time seasonal help and was asked to stay on part time after the holidays I stayed for another year until I was offered full time employment elsewhere. Its an easy job for the most part if you love being around animals. Also if you have pets like myself the employee discount comes in handy.
Pros
fun environment around animals
Cons
working on weekends is usually required and the pay isn't really all that much
Fun place to work
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAMay 13, 2019
Coworkers are nice, most customers are too. Managers help where they can but for Pet care your kinda on your own sometimes they ask to much of you and give little time to do it. The discounts are nice; wish we would get paid much more for all the things we do. Overall a pretty good place to work.
Pros
Discounts, management works well with your schedule.
Cons
Management asks for you to do to much in such a little time.
Quick Paced, Stressful Work Environment, Decent Benefits
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMay 12, 2019
A typical day at work at my location depends really on the attitude of the manager on duty that day and how much direction they want to relay. The benefits aren't really better or worse than any other retail job. If you like pets that's a positive of working here.
Pros
sometimes the managers provide a lunch for the staff
Cons
not regularly allowed to take breaks without being chastised for it
Bad Pay, Poor Management, Understaffed
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica, MIMay 8, 2019
I worked as a Pet Care Specialist at PetSmart for 1 year, 4 months.

The positive aspects of the job include getting to work with animals and help educate customers on how to care for them. I met a bunch of wonderful people at this job from all walks of life and I enjoyed interacting with the customers and animals. It’s a good entry level job if you are looking to gain experience. But that’s the end of the pros of working at PetSmart.

I barely made minimum wage and did not get much of a raise after 1 year of working with the company. It was barely livable. After working 30 hours a week, I would barely make above $200. It was very discouraging and exhausting.

Management was incredibly poor. Management refused to hire new people even though there was only two people in my department, leaving us understaffed and struggling to keep up with daily tasks. One manager in particular would harass me every time I worked, making the work environment hostile and unfriendly.

Our store was extremely understaffed which left us overworked and exhausted. Even on weekends — the busiest days of the week — we would have maybe three people total in the store (one in pet care, one cashier, and one manager).

One thing that got to me was the condition of the animals we received. Many came to us sick, injured, or dead. As an animal lover, this was emotionally draining, and made me dread going to work each day knowing another animal would likely be sick or dying. Management did not allow us to fix issues that caused the animals to become sick (temperature, diet, etc), so the animals would
  more... continue to suffer. It was very, very difficult to stomach.

Overall, there were positive aspects to working at PetSmart, but the bad far outweighed the good in my experience. I would avoid working here.
Pros
Get to work with animals, meet interesting people, gain experience
Cons
Poor management, low pay, understaffed, overworked
okay at the start.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 3, 2019
Working there was okay at the start but when new managers came in they started to play favorites with the staff. It got so bad that some of the employees would spend hours of the day on their phones not working while others had to pick up the extra work.Never had a job where management promoted the worst employees before.

they promise raises with each review if it goes well but what they really do is just keep you at minimum wage as the city raises it and claim it as your raise.
Pros
get to meet a lot of cool pets.
Cons
bad management lie about raises
Starter job only
Cashier/ Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 30, 2019
They Cant keep.managers . you have to beg for time off. If you get pregnant you are treated unfairly the only way to get proper hoirs is to train in several positions and you almost never get a raise. Except that required by law
Pros
Play with animals
Cons
Everything else
fun place to work
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairhope, ALApril 22, 2019
I love this job but was not given enough hours. I need more hours and they were not able to give the hours. they had lots of employees so hours were limited.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not eough hours
Good part time job
PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAApril 4, 2019
Good part time job while in school. They would cut hours quite often to where it basically was barely any money. Day camp breaks for associates became fewer and fewer. Discounts were good. The regular
Clients were always nice. It was organized.
Pros
The boarders, day camp could be fun if you weren’t stuck in that room for 4 hours at a time with no breaks
Cons
Management wouldn’t listen to concerns, raises were barely anything (15 cents), Drama, seniority issues, cutting hours, prolonged periods in daycamp
Fun place to work
Cashier/Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIApril 4, 2019
Most of management is very kind, as well as the co workers. Many employees work here for years without advancement in title or pay, unfortunately. It’s a nice job for someone that needs flexible hours.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Pay
Fun Job but managers are terrible
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAApril 2, 2019
A typical day consists of helping customers, fixing parts of the store, doing daily tasks like taking care of animals and helping around the store. The managers do not work well with others. They are contently in bad moods from outside of work and take it out on the other employees. The managers also are not reasonable and complain when people deserves raises.
Pros
other employees are cool
Cons
bad leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K
42.6K
32K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss