PetSmart Employee Reviews

Professional Dog Bather
Professional Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Moorestown, NJApril 2, 2018
The only reason I wont quit this job is simply my love for the animals. I would do anything for animals in need. The Job itself is INCREDIBLY TOUGH. Its something that must be completely thought out if you wish to join the salon work force.
Pros
great work family
Cons
pay rate
A good job.
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJApril 2, 2018
It's a good job. Hours are fine, and the enviroment is great. I worked in petcare, so my day was spent cleaning aquariums, and helping customer get the suppiles and correct information about their pets.
Pros
Got to be with animals the whole time.
PetSmart is a great start
Dog Bather (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXApril 2, 2018
the most enjoyable part is connecting with animals and the customers that love their pets. Although sales for premium packages are very important to them.
Retail & stocking
PET CARE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAApril 2, 2018
Stocked inventory and ran thecregister. For me the register was difficult with face to face customer interactions. My coworkers were great and the managers were very helpful & nice.
Pros
The pets that customers brought in.
Cons
Short breaks
Cashier
Sales, Customer service, petcare (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXApril 1, 2018
Cashier was easy and hard depending on the time of day or year (holidays). Learning the basics was easy once you do it enough. Managers were great and helpful, hard to get full time or get pay increase.
Fast paced and low staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  PRApril 1, 2018
To cut off costs and lift the company income hours are being reduced for the employees. This concludes in one person completing a job that's supposed to be made by 3. The environment and clients are the most enjoyable part of the job but, management is lacking most of the time. When you ask for back up or help the delay is too much for the clients that leave extremely upset. The hours are flexible but consider that the less availability you have the less hours you will get.
Bad manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILApril 1, 2018
Worst five weeks of my life. The minute the new manager walked in the door so negative I knew it was going to be bad. I put my resignation in at five weeks of him taking over that pet smart.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No lunch no help not enough time to accomplish the tasks
Very petty and No Advancing
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2018
I worked at petsmart for a year, where they threw me in the salon without knowing a thing and then punished me for not knowing anything by cutting my hours and not booking me clients for three months.I was just a maid service.
Pros
Good Clientele
Cons
No Benefits and Low pay
It was a wonderful company before it was sold
Groomer (Former Employee) –  eastonMarch 31, 2018
I was extremely happy with my first 5 years with the company. I was able to advance from bather, to groomer, and than salon manager. The company truly cared about animals and the happiness of its employees. however after it was sold the new company made drastic staffing cutbacks and it lowered its standards for animals care and customer service. The employees tried extremely hard to meet these changes however it's nearly impossible when the hours are cut and understaffing happened, The online booking system and it's misbooking was what finally made me leave the company. I put safety over profit. I also want to provide the best arrive to the customer.

Stores within the chain and the stress levels varied a lot based on the store and operations manger.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Online booking mistake, demand to sell add on services
I loved my job. did NOT love managers.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMarch 30, 2018
I looked forward to go to work. All dogs should pass a handling test but some bad dogs will pass through due to apathetic management. co-workers WERE great until a "no fun allowed" policy was enforced. People who SHOULDNT be leaders end up in the leadership position likely because of brown-nosing. Make sure you set boundaries for yourself even if it is a first or second job. ex: dont let them give you roller coaster schedules especially if it is a part time job. YOU have to keep the upper heads ACCOUNTABLE because not only is your safety in question, but also the safety of other pets.
Pros
get paid to play with dogs all day!
Cons
lazy/underwhelming/incompetent management, corporation mentality at the expense of a dog's well-being
Decent First Part-Time Job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 30, 2018
Going in with no previous work experience at all, this company has done its best to train me to the fullest extent for my position. This is the busiest location in the city of Las Vegas, and an average day the store is usually packed! The best part of the job for me was greeting all of the cute pets and helping pet parents find just what they needed for their little friend. The hardest part was dealing with theft. The company policies regarding it are very basic.. If a known thief making a bad return made enough of a ruckus, depending on the managers on duty, would get away with it almost every time. If you're not the type to mind things like this, it's a very easy and low stress job!
Pros
Friendly coworkers, Low stress environment, Get to meet many cute animals!
Cons
Difficult to earn raises
loved working there
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLMarch 29, 2018
if you dont like all pets dont work in a place like this. mangers in cape coral fla all got fired. distric manager got fired for punching somebody.
would like to work for this company again in a better envoirment
Pros
animals
Cons
bad managment
Fun place to work if you love animals
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIMarch 29, 2018
This is a great place to work for if you have a love for animals, or if you're a student that just needs a job and something to take the stress off of you. Can be relaxed at times, busy and fast paced the next.
Pros
Vending machine, doggie day camp.
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Great job for animal lovers
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23230March 29, 2018
It was all about the animals and the satisfaction of having all shelves full of product and hearing the customers awknowledge and reward you. Thus maxing out your quartly bonuses! I would always reward my staff members (3) $100.00 Every 4 months. I really enjoyed working there. You would make many animal friends as well has your customers that would come in daily and chat with you.
Pros
Animals, Merchandising, Satisfaction, Rewards, Team
Cons
Wages, And benefits
Really good company, but retail is retail
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAMarch 29, 2018
Customers will wear you down. It's fun working there when you're able to help people and keep a positive attitude. It helps to have a manager with the same outlook and goals.
very great place to work at
Customer Service / Early morning stocker (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMarch 29, 2018
enjoyed my time at this location the group was amazing. whenever there where issues it was resolved maturely. everyone was focus and on task , we took care of each other.
Fun place to work
Morning Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 29, 2018
Great place to work if you could get the hours promised. The people are great and if you like animals this is the place to work. You get good discounts for being an employee.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
not enough hours
Place for Dog & Cat Lovers
Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 29, 2018
Simple job, good for students who need to make a few extra bucks. Working at the Pets-hotel means interaction with dogs and cats on a daily basis. You are entrusted to care for dogs and cats who are deeply loved by their own owners.
Pros
TLC with dogs and cats
Cons
Low pay rates
Was a good starting point, but soon found out what it was all about
associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 29, 2018
management and district leaders are not supportive, they are one sided, always changing rules and policies, company is now all about the money with the new owners when it used to be about the pets and saving lives.
Starter Job
Customer Service / Cashier / Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMarch 29, 2018
Persmart is a great job to start it especially if you love animals when I first started there I wasn’t really a animal lover but I started to love them they are way better then working with humans at times!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PetSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.9K
31.4K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

76out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PetSmart.