Pharmacyclics, an AbbVie Company Employee Reviews

Company with lots of strengths and some areas of improvement
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 5, 2018
Pharmacyclics was a great company to intern for. I felt that my input was valued and encouraged, and would work there again if given the chance. My manager was very busy most of the time, however, so scheduling time on his calendar was a task. I was given rigorous tasks to complete which challenged me and gave me a feeling of pride in my work. Toward the end of my internship, my tasks were slowly being given to full-time employees within the company, which I felt was a bit premature, but understandable since I wasn't staying with the company. Overall, I created wonderful working relationships and friendships from this company and felt appreciated as both an individual and as a team member.
Pros
Opportunities for growth, feeling of being valued
Cons
Strategic business moves are still underway, consistent management shifts
Doc Control in Sunnyvale is full of sharks. Do not work here!
Doc Control (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 13, 2018
Lack of proper training, leadership and communication.

Doc Control department is run by man eating sharks. They sabotage any employee they do not "like". This makes the sharks look smarter!!!

Management knows there is a high turn around in this department. But they allow the sharks to "throw out" the new employees again and again.
Pros
None!
Cons
No leadership oversight! Lack of proper training and communication.
Not a good place to work long term.
BA and Data Analy (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 7, 2018
Can learn a lot as a start-up company culture.

But the vision is not clear. If you are going against the stream to make better something, you will be in problem.
The company has good product in the market. But the people has to be also be forward thinking.

People do not want to listen if you are not a big shot, for any improvement or change that is good for the company.

You cannot work in a company where the people will say whatever they think is right. This happens because the processes are not standardized.
Exciting, Fast Moving Biotech company
Head of Commercial Development (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 17, 2018
Strong management team comprised of functional exterpert/ leaders who can do as well as manage. Leaders take ownership of projects and regularly review progress with broader teams.
Very toxic culture and amateur leadership team. They lead through fear and intimidation. Very rude
Finance (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 14, 2015
Great product--a home run. Culture--Toxic. Exec. Team lead through micromanagement, fear and intimidation. Amateurs at building a collaborative, high performance team. Very political. Compensation and promotions are out of the blue no rhyme or reason. If COO likes you and you suck up enough, you will have two promotions and large increases in one year. Everyone can work their tail off and never get promoted. Very uneven rewards and no recognition. No work life balance. It's all work. Leaders are rude and they don't deserve the titles or compensation they have.
Pros
The product. The people who were smart enough to leave for a better place
Cons
The executive team--rude and mean spirited--total amateurs.
Very Toxic culture
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 18, 2018
Culture of fear. Lack of leadership, lack of talnet, all in all a horrible place to be at. Please avoid at all costs and run. Don't even think about it!
Company was great before the acquisition
Sr. Paralegal, Intellectual Property (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 22, 2017
Company was great before the acquisition. After the acquisition, the majority of our legal team was laid off. It was a great company and I'm sure it will do well under Abbvie.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Disorganized Training
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 18, 2017
Horrible training and trainers. Impatient. Made fun of in a foreign language. Management from top to bottom needs to invest time in properly training new staff. Have patience. There's a reason for new openings, because of high turnover rates due to disorganized schedules and workers. Treat contract workers as first class citizens. Not second class people. Include them in meetings and luncheon celebrations.
Pros
Free gym/shower/Friday breakfast
Cons
Hard for promotions.
Very Toxic culture
IT Person (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 31, 2016
Managers take credit for employee work. No class when it comes to talking to people. They just dont care. Culture does not promote open communication. No growth, lack of promotion/raise unless you kiss-butt or are buddies with the manager.
Pros
some of the people
Cons
everything else
Great Place to Collaborate
IT Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Great place to be treated as a respected collaborator. Nice accommodations and perks. The company is growing and more jobs are available. Good perks.
Pros
Collaborative
Cons
Still working on reigning in their spend.
Unstable and Unprofessional
Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 28, 2016
I accepted a position moved my family out here after a less than stellar interview. I was promised that they would make up the lower pay rapidly with job promotion if I produced results.
Within less than six months I had senior directors thanking me for the stellar job.
The promised promotion to make up for the loss I took, never happened and over a year later never will happen.
Line managers lie to your face, gossip behind your back, spread inconsistencies ( aka lies), and talk to other try to hunt down personal information to manipulate. This is appalling.
Never have I seen this in a work environment to the degree. It is unprofessional boardering of discrimination lawsuits. I am just waiting to move on at a different company. Others have switched departments as frequent as every year just to get away for the rude and clueless upper management.
Pros
California weather
Cons
management clueless across the board
Hope for Cancer Patients
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 5, 2015
Typical Day: Many meetings to set up and take down, up to 1-4 per day all between 11:30- 1, and upwards of 20+ attendees.

What I learned: I learned patience is all one has when dealing with crazy timelines

Management: Management takes care of their own, they were all AMAZING. Although in any place there may be some which can be difficult to please.

Co-Workers: Best co-workers ever, many whom will stay with you during rough seas. Never saw so many people work as hard as they do, co-workers and the powers that be.

Hard part of job: Seeing the stress on peoples faces, and wanting to do anything to help relieve their stress, but I am not a qualified scientist or Dr, so I would support in any way I could, especially by making sure they eat or drink to keep going.

Enjoyable part of job: The FDA approvals and the importance of their new drug Imbruvica. It is extremely rewarding to be on that crazy train to see the end results.
Pros
Cancer Drug Approval
Cons
Timelines and a few people whom could not be pleased.
Great Product
Manager, Collaboration and Vendor Management (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 9, 2017
Company has a great product. Communication standards needs a little work.

I am able to have work life balance an flexibility with my schedule.

A lot of projects and great place to build your resume.

I work with a lot of good people.
Great place to learn
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 3, 2014
Typical day usually requires some sort of testing whether it be KF, disso, assay/impurities, or GC. PCYC was willing to train me from the beginning so i learned everything from cGMP documentation, how to run LC's, to audit readiness, etc. Management in QC is excellent, other departments may vary. Colleagues in the Quality department are great. Teamwork is crucial. Hardest part of the job is getting over how urgent everything is. Everything always seems to be most urgent and due ASAP. The most enjoyable thing about the job is knowing my work has contributed to helping patients.
Typical work day
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 12, 2017
I have nothing to say at this time. I'm just a contractor. I focus on the tasks that are assigned to me, my goal is to meet my deadlines. I work well with the team.
Was great for the first few years.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 21, 2016
No longer the company that I was happy at a few years back. Lots of Micromanagement from the new management. Poor culture and bullying going on within different groups.
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays. Shuttle service from Northbay.
Cons
Clueless management
Changes all the time
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 25, 2017
we were great until we got to 300 employees, us admins all worked great together when there was 5 of us. After that the new associates where out for their own.
Pros
n/a
Cons
workplace culture
If you care for your career, don't work for this company!
current employee (Former Employee) –  silicon valleyFebruary 10, 2013
Employees: stressed out and confused
Management: arrogant, selfish and incompetent
Projects: disorganized and un-real
Culture: 'push you around', 'sink and drown',
Pros
stocks seem to be over-rated
Cons
stock will fall once the study fail
Interesting place with very few good people
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 15, 2017
Busy with a lot to do and managements needs some training on communications skills on speaking to all levels with people. Overall as long as work is done your ok.
Pros
Great cafe for employees at a good rate.
Cons
Healthcare is expensive due to merge with AbbVie
Boring and tiring environment
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 10, 2017
company uses people and tosses them out and because of that there are constant job opening announcements. for one job there are 3 managers and everyone has different opinion.
Pros
free breakfast on Friday
Cons
Management is poor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pharmacyclics, an AbbVie Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8