Phenomenex Employee Reviews

Fun and productive
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 18, 2018
The culture and work ethic is awesome and contagious. great environment and constant company motivation and awesome events . company trips are great experiences.
Standard
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAApril 12, 2018
Normal jobs with less than market compensation. Lacks proper job growth structure. Overloaded work environment, will have to work on multiple things and be responsible for deliverable.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Less than market compensation
good place to wrk
GC and GCMS Analyst and Process Chemist (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 1, 2018
Most days were good days.

Diversity and accommodation and understanding.

Listen to, respectful.

Diverse and joyful.

The physicality involved in processes

Yearly party celebration.
Pros
Diverse gathering with sport events
Cons
Uninvited interruption to events
Very good company
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 2, 2018
The best company to work for they pay well and treat all employees and even try to help family members is need they respect all employees and have fun reward parties they insure all employees really like their job.
Pros
everything
Very relaxing
Inventory Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 14, 2017
I worked here in Torrance, CA 1995-1998. I left for another job. They did send me to school and at that time work environment was good. I worked with the inventory as a data entry clerk. I also helped out in the warehouse. It is a family owned company and they do make sure that THEY are well taken care of. They were very good to me and did show appreciation. I am sorry to read that it looks like things have gotten worse then better.
Pros
Nice work environment, relaxing and you can learn.
Cons
Raises, not enough appreciation for employees.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Scientist (Former Employee) –  411 Madrid Ave, Torrance, CA 90501November 9, 2017
Interesting work and colleagues. A lot to learn, but at times management too difficult. It felt like everyone working in my department was under a lot pf pressure and was constantly scared of being fired.
Great place to work at
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 4, 2017
Work hard play harder.
This company means business, get the job done well and on time also big on communication with both coworkes and customers. I loved this place!!, They play hard, lot of fun come with Phenomenex, join a sports team, go camping, holiday events and so much more.
Average pay, nice people, many poor managers
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 14, 2017
There are many hard workers and caring people there. Many people leave after a few years for better pay. Management does not seem to value loyalty. Benefits could also be better.
Productive workplace with bright colorful work area
Junior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 10, 2016
Our team would start our day with a daily SCRUM meeting. During the SRUM meeting, we would review our status in the current Sprint tasks. We would communicate with the team if we ran into any road blocks and come up with solutions if necessary. If all tasks were finished, we would review next Sprint items and divide tasks accordingly. I learned how to participate in everyday SCRUM and work in an Agile development environment. The hardest part of the job was to communicate my ideas to the non-technical stake holders because they would not understand the technical side of each task. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with new technologies and implementing tools to improve my coding skills.
Pros
Bright colorful workspace
Cons
No benefits, no lunches
Boring!!
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 3, 2016
I worked for this Company for 3 years. Management team is mostly made up of owner's sisters and other relatives. No advancement opportunities for entry level positions. No pay increase for hard working employees but yet the company makes millions of dollars. The owner only comes out to yell at you and he won't even acknowledge you if you are standing in front of him.
Pros
no overtime
Cons
pay

Want to know more about Phenomenex?

Ask a question
This place seems like a fun and rewarding company but it's a facade
Marketing brand manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance caOctober 11, 2015
The people at phenomenx were great but the management are all old Phenomenex employees with no prior management experience. They lack leadership tools and there really is no direction. Phenomenex is more like a "me too company" rather than a leader in the industry. The marketing a R&D department are not very innovative in their approach to what they do. They'll basically see what the competitors are doing and copy their product. The pay was also questionable. The company uses a very covert bonus structure that doesn't really reflect your performance as an employee and advancement in the company is non existent.

It's a good company for starting your career out of college but other than a resume builder it's really not that great as a company.
Pros
The people
Cons
Management, the pay structure, nepotism
Good Starting Off Company
PMQC Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 23, 2015
I appreciate my experience at Phenomenex. I gained a lot of useful information about HPLC systems and repairs/ column chromatography and chemistry in general. I also enhanced my ability to write and review SOPs, all things that have had an invaluable effect on my future jobs. The management was somewhat unapproachable and, frankly, scary. Co-workers: some were amazing and others were awful, but where is that not true? The company itself is very altruistic and I participated in the company picnics, and sports events that raised money for charities.
Excellent job at an excellent company.
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CaliforniaAugust 17, 2015
Positive environment; encouraging management; friendly colleagues; plenty of company-sponsored fun; major philanthropic focus; superb customer service and technical support. As a Phenomenex employee, you get to be in the front row of some stellar developments in the scientific community and beyond. This is work you can feel good about doing - work that is changing the world for the better.
Phenomenex
HPLC LAB TECHICIAN (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 9, 2015
Overall a very diverse work environment. The initial people I work with makes the day enjoyable. I don"t have any previous chemistry background,but learned this rather quick..now it is easy to me.
My current job is not challenging enough. I am not motivated to work anymore even though I like my colleagues.
QC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 13, 2014
1. My typical day at work
Lead longevity testing for key part numbers to validate packing improvements to support product development, ex: improving overall product consistency,
Perform evaluations of data to determine adverse trends and take correct action as needed.
Partners with Production, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, RND, QC, and QA to help implement numerous continuous improvement initiatives.
Mentor new staff in QC department
2. What I learned management that not enough support
3. My co-workers are all kind, nice, and friendly with me.
4. The hardest part of the job is that my current job is not challenging enough and I am not motivated to work anymore even though I like my colleagues.
5. The most enjoyable part of the job is work on troubleshooting media and/or on customer's complaint related quality and lifetime concerns.
Look at the Stars
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 24, 2014
Leading Biotechnology Manufacturing Organization.
Work with SPE, LC, GC products and consumables.
Great place to work o loved it there
Shipping and Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 2, 2014
Great People, I learned a lot about international shipping, Management was great, Coworkers awesome, it Felt good to work there. I would go back if they offered
Pros
Great place
Overhyped
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 27, 2014
Management is non existent. No protocol, no proper tools for employees. EVERYONE seems to complain about the pay and for an industry worth millions the employee's should be making great money and sadly they don't. This company is over hyped. It's UNIQUE story is nothing more than a sales pitch to have you commit only to get nothing back. Sure over work the employee but don't offer pay raises or advancement opportunities.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
pay, no growth potential
The best of the best, Not!
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 19, 2014
Company doesn't like to give pay raises although you've been working here for years. If you have bills, this company isn't for you because what they paying you here for Lab Tech isn't worth it. You'll fall behind your bills on a monthly basic.
Pros
Work environment is easy and fun
Cons
HR and management lie to the employees, promises of promotion are false, Hired for a supervisor job, then not made supervisor due to unstable management
Brutal
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 19, 2014
I was originally very excited to change careers from lab work to a more people oriented position. This was brutal. Every day you were told you needed to do better, regardless of your "numbers" that week. 7 years working here and I'm only getting $11.50 hr
Pros
close relationships with the people around me and willingness of my supervisor to help when needed.
Cons
lack of manpower which lead to lack of personal growth within the company. overworked, upper management is so out of touch as to what the job takes to do, doesn't give enough power to unit leaders to run things.