PHI AIR MEDICAL Employee Reviews

Practices safety first.
Communications Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 8, 2019
Safe environment. Always trying to find a way to make sure the staff feels safe in all areas. Believes in customer service even if it means missing a flight because the competition is closer. PHI will do what is right for the company.
Pros
Open with communication throughout the company
Cons
Schedule
Fun job, poor employer.
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 6, 2019
The company has made recent changes that reflect how much they value their employees. No true manager training. You are expected to place the company before everything else even though they preach "good work life balance". They have no problem letting you know how expendable you are.
Pros
Experiance
Cons
No appreciation for the employees.
Need better management (former employee)
PFS, BILLER I, CUSTODIAN OF RECORDS (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2019
I started as a temp & was hired as a full time PFS who did more than her share of claims. I was then moved to a biller I. I was then also the notary & Custodian of Records and managed all achieved records.
In the 5 plus years I was there, I was always a confidant of the things I overheard from the manager & assistant manager. The asst manager was the worst. After hiring another "manager" who have no experience, things went down hill fast. The alcoholic had a dislike of me. I had been there the longest and was the first to let go. It had a domino effect based on how long you worked there. People were let go by the length of time they had worked there.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Mismanagement, gossip supervisors
From first to worst in less than a year. Toxic environment.
Flight RN (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 16, 2019
Hired for one location, moved to another. Training is so-so. No assigned preceptor or FTO, bounced from base to base with different preceptors with different expectations. Turnover after the CEO’s grand plan to revamp schedules has led to a mass exodus of ataff, including educators and preceptors. Those that remain are exhausted from constantly dealing with new staff. Orientation is supposed to include at least two prep days for final “board” group scenario evaluations with educators. We received no prep days.

Questions about clinical guidelines, etc are viewed as arguments. Cliques amongst the few experienced staff left, be ready for gossip and criticism behind your back. Some educators and clinical leadership will belittle and attempt to humiliate new staff, becoming angry and perceiving any question as a challenge. Having worked in this business prior to working for PHI/Air Evac I can say that the proud reputation management touts is a thing of the past. Read reviews for PHI Air Medical and note the precipitous drop in ratings after the fall, 2017 changes, including up to 72 hour weeks and salary, not hourly compensation, which works out to several dollars an hour less than the company quotes you when overtime, etc is taken into consideration.

If you’re considering applying, wait to see who ends up buying air medical, as the company is exploring options to pay down hundreds of millions of dollars in debt saddling parent company PHI Inc.
Pros
The company invests heavily in safety.
Cons
Culture, schedule, pay (lower per-shift after change to salary). Discontent and unhappiness is baseline for staff.
Interesting Company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2018
It is a company that wants you around - they seem to be stuck in the middle of converting from a small-business mentality to a larger business one. Depending on your role here, it can be a very fulfilling place to work - or a dismal one.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed the management and staff at PHI; the group is a team and even though it was for ER Air and could be stressful everyone is great to work with.
Pros
Team work
Cons
promised a wage much higher than the actual pay per hour I rec.
Very unprofessional!!
Flight Nurse (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXAugust 23, 2018
Very unprofessional work ethics. If you upset one person they will get their buddies to help them bully you. The amount of bullying that is there would put a middle school to shame. You would think you are dealing with juveniles and not adults, this is from the management to the mechanic.
Pros
Rental car, hotels
Cons
Everything else
Amazing Company
Medical Billing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 7, 2018
Medical Billing in general can be hectic at best; billing for Air Ambulance is very tough. The work environment at PHI was electric! I absolutely love the people I worked with! Being part of such an amazing AR team was an honor. There was always support available, no matter what the issue was; whether I was stuck on a difficult claim, or having difficulty with a patient situation (flight reason); I always had someone that I could turn to for help. PHI has a great peer support program to assist with the emotional and mental struggles its employees faced, and for that I will always be grateful.
Management always stated that they have an Open Door policy, and they truly do; all the way up to the President Dave Motzkin.
I learned what serious integrity is and will carry with me their motto of 'Honesty trumps Loyalty' for the rest of my life. While PHI is a corporation, and sometimes that reared it's ugly head; I always felt like they had my best interest at heart. I absolutely loved my time with PHI and leaving was a difficult decision to make. I would apply with them again if I ever found myself back in Arizona.
Pros
available overtime; lots of free food; team mentality; goal oriented; fun atmosphere to work in.
Cons
micro-management (just recently)
Happy place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2018
Good place to work for the people were very motivated and polite always willing to help with any problems or questions that came about overall a great place
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Failing medevac company
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 19, 2018
This company will be out of business in the trajectory it is on. All the tenured staff has left. Mid level managers are clueless and left in the dark
PTO / Medical Leave Policies make it so you can't use the leave even if you need it. 10+years in and your lucky to have a usable 2 weeks of vacation time.
Used to have a safety culture. Safety Director did exactly what she was supposed to and encouraged to do and was terminated.
Pros
Nice equipment, Maintenance Program
Cons
Terrible schedule for med crew, expensive benefits
Most everyone in Patient Financial Services are nice
Medical Billing specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2018
Far too much pressure to perform. I don't compete in my job, I believe quality over quantity is important. I was told I would have 6 months to get up to speed. Within the first two months I was called in to hear that I wasn't making my quota of 25 claims per day. I was low, knowing that i had only been doing this job for approx. 6 weeks i was disappointed with this response.

In reviewing notes of those that had handled the claim before me i understood how many "met their quota" by simply stating that something had been received, noted and moved on.

Training was abysmal, they are now looking to hire a professional trainer, Hope it pays off, turnover has been high....wonder why? Look to the top to find out.

Centricity would not be a software system I would care to work in again. Far too many dance steps to get to the same outcome other software i have worked with provide.
Pros
Bonuses were unexpected by me, nice to receive.
Cons
Too competitive for me. I don't compete at work, I do my best job
Good company
Helicopter Air Ambulance Pilot (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day at work includes a preflight of the helicopter. Morning and evening briefing with the flight crews. Then just hang out and work on hobbies until you get a flight.
Pros
mbvmn
Cons
n vn
Mismanagement abounds
Flight Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2017
As a decade long employee, I have watched the mismanagement evolve (devolve) to its present state, a state of chaos, dishonesty, and favoritism/cronyism that trumps even its former state of disarray. They have just placed Air medical crews under RLA rules (as opposed to FLSA) and, while giving a moderate pay increase, have increased our working hours to 48-72 hours weekly with assigned shifts and NO OVERTIME pay-that is unless you work even in excess of these overwhelming number of hours, and even then good luck getting your pay check correct, as immediate supervisors, upper management, HR, and accounting are all on different pages as to how to pay. They are very quick to take hours of pay away, but somehow can’t manage to compensate correctly for hours worked in excess of normal schedule. There is room for advancement here...IF you manage to ingratiate yourself into the caste If cronies, brown noses, and know nothings. Education, experience, and skill are NOT qualities they promote or appreciate. There isn’t a single operations manager with even a bachelor degree, and the new regional director for one region has only basic medical knowledge. Medical/dental/vision/401k are all reasonable. PTO is ok IF you are not medical crew. Medical crews get the equivalent of 2 weeks of sick/vacation combined per year...and that is only if you are a long term employee-new employees are given far less. They force employees to travel to outlying bases against their will and on very short notice. On a few hour notice, they essentially add up to seven additional hours on top of a 24 hour shift  more... in drive time. Safety record so far is decent, but that is only due to the diligence of employees. Reporting true safety concerns actually gets you nowhere with upper management. Think long and hard before accepting a job here.  less
Pros
Overall compensation (as long as you don’t consider the number of hours you work for all the money), benefits decent, relationships with coworkers
Cons
Long hours away from home, cronyism, poor advancement opportunity, management attitude toward employees
Productive place to work
Flight Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXOctober 30, 2017
Overall great place to work. Benefits available to ful time employees including life insurance, health, dental, vision and 401K. Also-paid time off and sick leave
Great Place to work
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZSeptember 11, 2017
I loved the people, the training and the culture. The day starts with your check off- than after that the day is yours. Nap, train or all of the above.
Summary
Certified Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2017
In the coding department wasn't stressful, we had limited supervision and recognition when something done correctly. management doesn't show that they care a lot about the employees.
Safest company out there bar none
EMS Lead Pilot (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 24, 2017
Excellent company, great equipment and training, fair market pay; however, keep your resume updated, as base closures come with little or no warning. Remain out of the politics as middle management changes frequently. Do your job competently and safely be a professional pilot and you will enjoy your job.
Pros
Excellent maintenance and training
Cons
Base /job stability and frequent middle management changes; union membership required.
it was OKAY
LPN, access specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNJuly 30, 2017
I loved my coworkers, the environment was a nice relaxed business office. I worked night shift, it was busy most of the time and continued to get busier. upper management did not understand the time, effort and nursing work that we did daily. not enough communication between the Nashville location and headquarters in Arizona. day shift was rewarded while night shift wasn't rewards were on a first come first serve basis because it would usually be food for every one. Changed guidelines daily. all in all it was OKAY.
Great meals provided when bonus met
Medical Billing – Follow Up/ Collections II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2017
The work flow was great, training was not so good. Management plays favorites. Work place culture consists of lots of gossip most coming from upper management. Hardest part of the job was not making the new director mad. The most enjoyable part of the job were the employees and lower level staff.
Great Co-Workers
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2017
At PHI you work as a team. You achieve goals together and fail together. As long as everyone pulls their own weight, obtaining monthly goals and bonuses is possible. Co-Workers are all eager to be successful.
Pros
Bonuses For Meeting Production
Cons
Highly Micro Managed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PHI AIR MEDICAL. Our community is ready to answer.