PHI AIR MEDICAL Employee Reviews

Failing medevac company
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 19, 2018
This company will be out of business in the trajectory it is on. All the tenured staff has left. Mid level managers are clueless and left in the dark
PTO / Medical Leave Policies make it so you can't use the leave even if you need it. 10+years in and your lucky to have a usable 2 weeks of vacation time.
Used to have a safety culture. Safety Director did exactly what she was supposed to and encouraged to do and was terminated.
Pros
Nice equipment, Maintenance Program
Cons
Terrible schedule for med crew, expensive benefits
Most everyone in Patient Financial Services are nice
Medical Billing specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2018
Far too much pressure to perform. I don't compete in my job, I believe quality over quantity is important. I was told I would have 6 months to get up to speed. Within the first two months I was called in to hear that I wasn't making my quota of 25 claims per day. I was low, knowing that i had only been doing this job for approx. 6 weeks i was disappointed with this response.

In reviewing notes of those that had handled the claim before me i understood how many "met their quota" by simply stating that something had been received, noted and moved on.

Training was abysmal, they are now looking to hire a professional trainer, Hope it pays off, turnover has been high....wonder why? Look to the top to find out.

Centricity would not be a software system I would care to work in again. Far too many dance steps to get to the same outcome other software i have worked with provide.
Pros
Bonuses were unexpected by me, nice to receive.
Cons
Too competitive for me. I don't compete at work, I do my best job
Good company
Helicopter Air Ambulance Pilot (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day at work includes a preflight of the helicopter. Morning and evening briefing with the flight crews. Then just hang out and work on hobbies until you get a flight.
Pros
mbvmn
Cons
n vn
Mismanagement abounds
Flight Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2017
As a decade long employee, I have watched the mismanagement evolve (devolve) to its present state, a state of chaos, dishonesty, and favoritism/cronyism that trumps even its former state of disarray. They have just placed Air medical crews under RLA rules (as opposed to FLSA) and, while giving a moderate pay increase, have increased our working hours to 48-72 hours weekly with assigned shifts and NO OVERTIME pay-that is unless you work even in excess of these overwhelming number of hours, and even then good luck getting your pay check correct, as immediate supervisors, upper management, HR, and accounting are all on different pages as to how to pay. They are very quick to take hours of pay away, but somehow can’t manage to compensate correctly for hours worked in excess of normal schedule. There is room for advancement here...IF you manage to ingratiate yourself into the caste If cronies, brown noses, and know nothings. Education, experience, and skill are NOT qualities they promote or appreciate. There isn’t a single operations manager with even a bachelor degree, and the new regional director for one region has only basic medical knowledge. Medical/dental/vision/401k are all reasonable. PTO is ok IF you are not medical crew. Medical crews get the equivalent of 2 weeks of sick/vacation combined per year...and that is only if you are a long term employee-new employees are given far less. They force employees to travel to outlying bases against their will and on very short notice. On a few hour notice, they essentially add up to seven additional hours on top of a 24 hour shift  more... in drive time. Safety record so far is decent, but that is only due to the diligence of employees. Reporting true safety concerns actually gets you nowhere with upper management. Think long and hard before accepting a job here.  less
Pros
Overall compensation (as long as you don’t consider the number of hours you work for all the money), benefits decent, relationships with coworkers
Cons
Long hours away from home, cronyism, poor advancement opportunity, management attitude toward employees
Productive place to work
Flight Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXOctober 30, 2017
Overall great place to work. Benefits available to ful time employees including life insurance, health, dental, vision and 401K. Also-paid time off and sick leave
Great Place to work
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZSeptember 11, 2017
I loved the people, the training and the culture. The day starts with your check off- than after that the day is yours. Nap, train or all of the above.
Summary
Certified Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2017
In the coding department wasn't stressful, we had limited supervision and recognition when something done correctly. management doesn't show that they care a lot about the employees.
Safest company out there bar none
EMS Lead Pilot (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 24, 2017
Excellent company, great equipment and training, fair market pay; however, keep your resume updated, as base closures come with little or no warning. Remain out of the politics as middle management changes frequently. Do your job competently and safely be a professional pilot and you will enjoy your job.
Pros
Excellent maintenance and training
Cons
Base /job stability and frequent middle management changes; union membership required.
it was OKAY
LPN, access specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNJuly 30, 2017
I loved my coworkers, the environment was a nice relaxed business office. I worked night shift, it was busy most of the time and continued to get busier. upper management did not understand the time, effort and nursing work that we did daily. not enough communication between the Nashville location and headquarters in Arizona. day shift was rewarded while night shift wasn't rewards were on a first come first serve basis because it would usually be food for every one. Changed guidelines daily. all in all it was OKAY.
Great meals provided when bonus met
Medical Billing – Follow Up/ Collections II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 29, 2017
The work flow was great, training was not so good. Management plays favorites. Work place culture consists of lots of gossip most coming from upper management. Hardest part of the job was not making the new director mad. The most enjoyable part of the job were the employees and lower level staff.
Great Co-Workers
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2017
At PHI you work as a team. You achieve goals together and fail together. As long as everyone pulls their own weight, obtaining monthly goals and bonuses is possible. Co-Workers are all eager to be successful.
Pros
Bonuses For Meeting Production
Cons
Highly Micro Managed
Transfer Center RN
Access Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2017
I lasted 5 months so I was the longest RN there and I was hired in the third class. Management was the WORST. Cut our staff in half and gave us a weeks notice. Shut down the office in TN where it all started, Gave 25 people a week's notice they had no job. Normally had 4-5 nurses on during a shift, I was the only nurse after the layoff. I resigned immediately due to the working conditions. they tried a temporary solution to help. Turn over rate is HIGH! Not a stable environment.
Pros
Benefits, brand new center
Collections
A/R Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2017
Typical worked day was great, very busy it was organized in a sense you worked in a queue so you know what you were if for when you came in to work. I learned a lot about emergency transport. The workplace culture was corporate but the employees made it easier to deal with. The hardest part of the job what to hear the patient accidents and events that led to the transport and at the same time try to collection from them for a large dollar bill.
Easy job for the pay
Access Specialist III, RN (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNFebruary 28, 2017
Pays very well and hours are good if you like 12 hour-shifts. Never felt like I have had job security, however, they often are short handed. Management is not very attentive to employees' needs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No job security
Licensed practical nurse
SUPERVISOR PATIENT NAVIGATION (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 5, 2016
New department in this location, still have many issue to work out.Not a bad job but can be very demanding at times. New management still figuring things out. I think will be good in the long run.
Great safe place to work
Flight Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Flight shifts are 24 hours. The company takes pride in safety. We use the best equipment and have strong protocols. This job is so enjoyable. This job is a great experience and it is a great feeling knowing you are helping to save lives.
horrible company
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  ohioSeptember 15, 2016
If you're not part of the good old boy club you will never advance. Poor management. Rules change to meet managers needs and if you say something you will get treated horribly. Different rules for different employees. Best move ive ever made leaving. Would never go back for all the money in the world. Don't recommend anyone look to work for this company. Run and run fast.
Pros
Cons
everything including management and health care. no raises
Productive and Honest workplace.
Medical Billing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2016
Great company to work for to get experience in medical billing, health insurance companies, and patient contact.

More of a production oriented company and not too much room for advancement.

Enjoyed speaking with patients and healthcare providers and learned a great deal of multi-state information for billing.
Pros
Bonuses, lunches
Cons
Unable to manage your own time
Bonus are available quarterly
Medical Billing Specialist I/Legal Department (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 7, 2016
Bonus are available quarterly, if you reach goal earn a lunch. Sometimes the different states or departments can pick where we get our lunch from.
Pros
free lunch if you reach monthy goals
Cons
mean girls
Demands too much
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Rushville, INMay 28, 2016
You are never really off of work, they are always bothering you on your day off so that you cant escape the stressful atmosphere of the job itself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PHI AIR MEDICAL. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9