Philadelphia Insurance Companies Employee Reviews

Racists, shady environment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSFebruary 8, 2019
The vibe and atmosphere here really sucks. People look at you with their noses turnt up. I feel like I don’t belong here. It’s kind of shady, a lot of crazy looks and whispering.. it sucks especially since this is supposed to be a ‘corporate and professional’ job. There’s a bunch of small cliques in the office. Not everyone is bad but MOST are. The management team sucks and they have poor people skills. A lie or rumor can get carried throughout the office , instead of being professional and talking about it people run with it. Seems like you have to kiss butt to advance or even get acknowledgement from someone. There’s a lot of rude people in the office no one speaks back if you greet them instead they look at you like you have something on your face. I can only imagine what the CEO would think of the Leawood office.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management, people
Highly recommend
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2019
There are many opportunities for advancement within the company, and many benefits. I feel very well taken care of by the company, and they are always planning ways for the office to let off steam, be it the office going to a baseball game, happy hours, inter office games, potlucks, you name it. The work - life balance within the company really sets the standard other companies should reach for.
Pros
Benefits, fun, dependable coworkers
Overall a pretty decent company
UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHDecember 13, 2018
They were mostly ok to work for I was able to take advantage of 2 promotions and as a result 2 pretty significant pay raises in a pretty short period of time. But at some point and for some reason I started having issues with my supervisor and her second guessing me and she became very critical with everything that I did...in short she became very difficult for me to work with and I never found out why. So other than her I like my job and my co workers.
Pros
Benefits and location of our office
Cons
My supervisor
Fun place, community involvement and educational incentives
UNDERWRITER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ewing, NJDecember 11, 2018
1)Consult Underwriters regarding new or renewal accounts.
2)Rate accounts and make accounts compliant in the appropriate state.
3)Overall management is willing to guide and support.
4)The most difficult part of the job keeping Rule and Regulations to be compliant.
5) Volunteering for non-profit organizations.
Pros
Team Phly - Employees
Cons
Heavy work load and expectation
Productive and fun workplace, amazing culture
Accounts Receivables Representative II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2018
PHLY Ins is by far one of the best companies I ever had the pleasure working for. Their culture, their work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, healthy life style...I could go on forever why this is a great place to work. I only left due to relocation to a former company with an offer I could not refuse. I recently moved away from this job to be closer to family, but would love to work for PHLY again. Highly recommend anyone applying to work for such a great company.
Pros
work/life balance, onsite fitness facility
Productive Workplace
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSOctober 25, 2018
Great place to work except management not knowledgeable on all the products and procedures. Management is also not empathetic of the needs their employees.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
great company, needs new management
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 23, 2018
great company with great benefits, but management needs to be replaced, if you are going to work here go in on the claims or underwriting side of the company
Pros
free food, company outings
Cons
management
philly review
Commercial General Liability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 18, 2018
Great Company that attempts to keep up with competition. The systems are not up to par with other industries but they actually care about their employees. It is typically a final destination for most claims professionals. Change in company leadership did start to change that a bit where workloads and expectations did not seem to be reasonable.
Got let go without notice...very underhanded...they lie
Former Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bala-Cynwyd, PAOctober 17, 2018
I was placed here by The Dubin Group, back in September. The interview process was suspect, because they moved rather quickly in hiring me (I was interviewed on a Friday and hired the next day). I went through a lot of trouble just to produce all of the paperwork they needed, and I was told that the position was a three-month, temp-to-perm position. The manager was supposed to sit in on my interview, but for some reason she was not present.

The people who interviewed me were nice enough. They seemed willing to help...and to train, or so I thought.

The woman training me, was a doll! She was kind and patient, and she obviously knew her stuff. However, it was obvious she was overworked; it made me sad that she was doing the work of four people, plus training me! They are short-staffed, and some of their employees are barely able to come up for air.

The expectations of the company were unrealistic, and I had no idea I had to meet some quota, as this was the explanation I got from my recruiter when she called to tell me my assignment had ended.

I learned a lot about the insurance industry, but to be successful at this job, one must have a solid background in insurance. I did not. I wasn't fast enough. But they did nothing to help me.

I concur with the other reviewers that they were heartless in just letting me go without an explanation. I felt lied to about the duration of the assignment, and I felt extremely terrible because almost everyone with whom I spoke, was made full-time after three months. Again, they ended my assignment after THREE WEEKS, when I was told
  more... it would be three months, with the potential to go full time.

I met some really cool people, and that was the saving grace. I liked my supervisor, as well. I never heard much from her, during the day, but I liked her. They never gave me a chance to improve, and for that reason, I cannot honestly recommend this company to anyone.

They need to provide better training, and they need to allocate the responsibilities with more care. Also, the manager seemed like a robot. I was not impressed with her at all.
Pros
Very nice people, laid back dress code, very involved in the community.
Cons
Poor training, deceptive about job duration, low salary, will let you go at a moment's notice.
Corporate Job
Assistant Underwriter II (Current Employee) –  WestminsterOctober 15, 2018
Philadelphia became a corporate job with no emotional ties to the position. There's no chance for advancement or promotions. Increased cost of living and pay is not equally considered. Management is not open to any suggestions or opinions.
Pros
Cons
Relocation

Want to know more about Philadelphia Insurance Companies?

Ask a question
Enjoyable Work Atmosphere
Claims Examiner General Liability-Temp to Perm (Current Employee) –  Northern CASeptember 9, 2018
The job at Phly is always enjoyable. Each day flies by. However the job is a temp to perm and the top level management does not seem to be in a hurry to make it a permanent position, even though they say they are hiring. I would love to continue working here, but the temp salary is a little on the low side and I am having to pay 100% for my benefits with no paid vacation at this time.
Pros
Bagel Fridays, Interactive with Sales Dept
Cons
Unpaid benefits
Philadelphia is just a job.
Regional Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 9, 2018
Philadelphia is just a job. It is not a fun place to work and it does not seriously offer advancement. Hard work and educational achievements are not recognized. They do however offer good (but not great) benefits but they will not think twice about letting you go without notice.

I would only take a position there only as a last resort.
Pros
Good healthcare, good benefits, decent computer systems, financially a very stable organization.
Cons
Employees not appreciated, working hard and furthering your education does not help you. They will let you go without notice.
Generally a good place to work
Assistant Underwriter I (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJuly 29, 2018
I love what I did there. We got a new manager in our department about 3 years ago. She kept telling me she would let me work at home before she would let me retire. That changed, I guess her word wasn't worth very much. I truly loved every aspect of what I did.
Pros
Was able to work at home on Tuesdays.
Cons
Most days, didn't have time to take my breaks. Also when company moved, not allowed to work at home.
Micro-managed, no training on company policies and very heavy work load
Senior Property Desk Examiner (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 27, 2018
No training until you make a mistake then they jump on you and tell you not to do again. Management looks through all your files and then comments if you make a mistake but NEVER gives a compliment for good work. Only derogatory comments are received and all by e-mail.
Workload is increased greatly to answer all the emails sent by various levels of management.
Management assumes you know what they are talking about without asking prior experience.
Learned a lot but it was all done the HARD way.
Workplace is nice and coworkers are friendly.
Be Aware that your pending will exceed 150 most of the time in the property department with claims in the $500,000 reserve range. Salary but work hours are as much as you can take - 60+ hours per week.
I enjoyed working with the independent adjusters in all 50 states, however, you are not given any guidance on this. It is trial and error and referral from co-workers if they are not to busy to answer you.
Plan on volunteering at least one if not more days with various non-profit companies and setting up a team to go with you.
Pros
Nice work place in Highlands Ranch, Co
Cons
management micromanagement, work load, and long hours with no appreciation for hard work done.
excellant company
CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 23, 2018
Great work place, great management team, room to grow. Management always listen, low work load. Training was always provided, management was approachable
horrible organization
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bala-Cynwyd, PAJune 6, 2018
I have never worked for a more covertly racist establishment. This is not a place for women of color - they do not promote black women at all...only white women and men even when black women are more than qualified for reach opportunities.
A lot of free food and jean days.
Customer Services Representative II (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 2, 2018
Everyone is very friendly and great to work with. Vacation and Sick time off is standard. The day before a holiday, you get off 2 hours earlier. Training is okay, could use more time to learn new projects.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Training
Does not accommodate
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 30, 2018
Very uncomfortable place to work. Unconventional corporate environment. Lack of caring. White on white. Not many people of color work in claims. Dysfunctional.
Not great
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 10, 2018
I worked here for about a year. It initially seemed like a very good company but I soon learned they will let people go without any remorse. I left after a year.
Great company, good people.
Account Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMarch 28, 2018
A typical day at work was laid back yet productive. I learned a lot of general office and professional skills. Management is good, they are always trying to keep the teams motivated. The workplace culture was great, everyone was super friendly. The hardest part of the job was the learning curve that needs to be met but the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people in a professional environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Our community is ready to answer.