Philadelphia Zoo

Philadelphia Zoo Employee Reviews

Productive fun workplace
The environment was very friendly. The staff always accommodated their employees and the customers needs. There was always room for advancement. The company offers flexible hours.
Ok job
It was just a summer job not a long term job I helped with sales an ticket count greeted guest an helped them with any questions that where asked that needed to be answered
Life at the Zoo is fun and engaging
The hardest part of the job is trying not to disappoint the visitors who are relying so much on your knowledge of the workplace and these animals. Days get so busy that you can forget a minor detail such as the closest bathroom within seconds. While working here I’ve learned that improvisation is ok in some circumstances.
Zoo
Very hot but it’s a awesome place to work at . You will Learn a lot about animals that you had no clue about and the people around you is very helpful
Collaborative coworkers, but poor management
The job itself is not that fast paced, but requires a lot of time standing even when there are few guests around. Coworkers and employee culture is stress-free, but the management is not good at communicating. Employees are penalized for manager miscommunication, especially regarding the schedules. Hours are inconsistent, employees were often scheduled to positions they did not apply for or were not trained for. Daily schedules require employees to give up break time to reach stations on-time, or risk putting other employees behind schedule. No benefits.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Good for an in between Job
Great for students in the area if they need a part time job during the spring and summer. They only keep a select few on the pay roll through the winter though, because it does get very slow. Management has probably changed since i worked there but everyone was pretty nice and got along. Watch out for the school field trips though, they all like to steal things and most of the time the chaperones didn't care.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
seasonal
My favorite job out of my whole career experience
I am still in highschool so this was the best job I was able to get while still being a student, I worked with mostly grown ups and some who were my age or in college the environment was great people were friendly to me and I made friends the hours are flexible you just need to ask and you get perks the pay is great if your someone who doesn't have prior responsibilities but it isn't enough to live on I don't think, weekly salary
the zoo was cool
a fun place to work hade fun there all & all protecting the community as they entered the zoo was a great job choice day to day coming on time watching to make sure people don't hurt thereself or the animals was a great job .
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Philadelphia Zoo?
Loved the animals and so many interesting involved people!
Great place, wish I could work there full time. Learned a lot about school groups, animals, and zoo operations. Everyone was so happy to be there, and I loved answering questions and watching the baby gorillas grow up.
Working at the zoo
Working at the zoo is pretty cool but they are not fair with scheduling , they expect you to come in sick without a problem . They don’t give you a specific break time .
Overall it was a good experience and gave me some good life skills and taught me how to be patient
It was my first “job” even though it was a internship but I learned a lot and it definitely made me ready for a real job. Throughout the 4 months I learn about being responsible with my job and how to deal with people who are having a rough day.
Fun, a little chaotic, not what I was expecting
As an intern, I was expecting to learn about the careers there and meet and work with professional keepers, conservationists and vets. Instead I was interacting with guests, leading games and monitoring the barnyard (petting zoo). I didn't dislike the work. I really enjoyed my time there! It was fun, interesting, busy work and I learned A LOT! It just wasn't what I had in mind when I agreed to the unpaid internship.
Productive and fun place to work
The culture is very diverse and it's a fast paced environment. Management is very helpful and the hardest part of the job is having to leave. Its a fun place to work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no benefits
Do not work here
This place will work you like a dog and pay absolutely nothing. All the higher ups relax in the AC and in the Convenience of there golf carts while all the others are baking in the sun doing the real work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, hours, management
Great Educational Opportunity
Overall, this was a great experience. I learned a lot over the course of working there and gained valuable experience to use in the future! The staff was great and helpful the entire time.
Membership Sales Recruiter
The commission is unfair for the effort put into the memberships you sell. You get like $0.50-$3.00 per membership sold and you're standing outside in the sun for 8 hours straight with a short 30 min lunch. It wasn't worth it for me.
Pros
Free Breakfast sometimes, free entry into the zoo
Cons
long exhausting hours standing in the sun
For the most part a pleasant experience.
A very festive calming and up beat atmosphere. Observing the beautiful animals make work pleasant. The manager of Guest Relations was very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was that it was only seasonal. It would have been smart of them to offer full time employment for those who employees who came everyday on time who may have had transferable skills to other departments.
Pros
Free admission for you and family. Sometimes free lunch.
Cons
Most jobs are seasonal
Good environment
It got boring over time. Each time I went there, I started to feel like I was in an endless loop. When people came in and were so curious and loved the animals, I just stood there bored, knowing aia saw them last week.
cool place to work
You talk to people a lot, the culture is great and friendly. The best part is seeing animals all day. You are also on your feet for a good amount of time.
Pros
the zoo is awesome
Cons
didn't get paid much
Great Place on breaks
You can see the animals on your break or after work. Food is expensive but you get a 15% discount. There are great people to mentor you, and there are people that will throw you under the bus.
Great workplace with friendly people
Philly Zoo is an amazing place to work or intern. They have extremely friendly staff and amazing animals to learn about and educate others. I highly recommend this job for anyone pursuing this type of career.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philadelphia Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Philadelphia Zoo Reviews by Location