Philander Smith College Employee Reviews

Life as a Resident Assistant.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 22, 2019
As a Resident Assistant at Philander Smith College I worked with college freshman to balance their school life while growing into to the person they aspire to be in life.
Pros
Growth/Learning
Great and easy going
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 26, 2019
Philander Smith College has many different departments and I am placed in the bookstore. On a normal day, I sort mail for students and the different offices at Philander Smith College, as well as deliver mail to the administrative departments. When I am not sorting mail, I am behind the cash register, watching the floor, answering the telephone, talking to alumni about purchasing Philander paraphernalia. My job on most days are relaxed and easy going. I'd say the most challenging part of my job would be dealing with difficult customers and students.
Not much more than the grind
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 24, 2019
Work was consistent but seemed to go nowhere, hard to find advancement in small organization. Lots of politics for such a small area. No raises, even cost of living. It was a good place to launch a carer but you needed to spend time getting to know the staff before you made waves.
Pros
Few meetings
Very Productive
Mentor Consultant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 6, 2019
Ensured that each mentoring session fit in with life lessons, school policies and guidelines
Provided timely and constructive feedback to each student
Set realistic objectives and tracked progress
Serve as a role model for young men/ students involved in the mentor program
Pros
Produce Good Citizens
Cons
They need officers if youre interested
Security Officer - Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 5, 2018
Except for the pay which wasn't to bad but could be better it was pretty much easy going- A few bad apples but overall a good atmosphere to work. It only gets hectic during homecoming.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Need better pay
Reconsider!!!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2018
This is a horrible place to work. They do not care about you or what you have going. You are expected to move mountains with little or no resources. The workers are over worked and underpaid. The President micromanages everything; it’s his way or the highway. If you are not his fraternity brother, don’t bother applying... You’ll be wasting your time.
Pros
None!
Cons
No money!
Fun and busy work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 1, 2018
Worked 24/7 as an intern, mentor, and tutor to incoming freshman. I gained patience, and a passion for educating young people. The hardest part was working for most of the day. The enjoyable parts were seeing students succeed and matriculate at the college.
Great Learning Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 1, 2018
Truly a great learning experience in understanding how to balance and juggle numerous job functions at once. Great with assisting on how to think on feet and handle crisis management situations of any shape or form.
I was only an unpaid intern there.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time interning at Philander Smith College. It was a joy to attend and graduate from an empowering HBCU. I would have done the internship again if given the chance.
Assistant Manager of Intramural Sports (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72202May 15, 2018
A typical work day at PSC consists of multiple short meetings as well as follow up meetings. I learned how to be a more efficient leader while maintaining the balance between student life and two other jobs. It taught me that patience is an important virtue.
Unprofessional and unproductive.
Student Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 4, 2018
I enjoyed helping the students and enhancing their learning techniques, but the staff and faculty were always unprofessional, unproductive, and messy.
Pros
Holidays off.
Cons
Buildings and maintenance
Productive and Fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 20, 2018
Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals. Create, maintain, and enter information into databases.
Greet visitors or callers and handle their inquiries or direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
Schedule and confirm appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
Prepare and mail checks.
Prepare invoices, reports, memos, letters, financial statements and other documents, using word processing, spreadsheet, database, or presentation software.
Enjoyed working with students
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2018
The school is diverse.Pay is good but lack of job training .The students were a joy to work with when I was there. Great school but limited to growth.
competitive and fun in the same time
Mentor (Current Employee) –  ArkansasDecember 31, 2017
I love my school. the culture remainds me of my high school back home. thre people, the management is very nice. the difference between my school back home and philander smith is that back home we speak French and Swahili but here I had to learn English before a started to go to philander,
Fum enviroment working with students fresh out of high school
S.T.A.R.T Summer Bridge Program English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 15, 2017
My summer experience was very enjoyable. I enjoyed tutoring students and really made a connection with a few. The temporary professors were very nice and they were very insightful.
Non productive, stressful and an insult on your intelligence
Supervisor. Swept and mopped all (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 4, 2017
Management was very poor..... Nobody got along..... Everybody was cut-throat...... Cut hours and never got raises. Staff turned on each other...... Students left because they were being lied too
Pros
Cons
Poor management, low low pay with no chance of a raise. No chance for advancement
Diversity in employees
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 6, 2017
Hire without regard of people's difference. Opens at 8 Am -11 Pm to provide enough time to accommodate a large number of students based on their different time availabity
low pay
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2017
Philander Smith College was privately funded which caused salaries to be low. Equipment was hard to get because of the lack of money for I.T. budget.
Fast paced
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 14, 2017
This is a very fast paced environment. Philander Smith College is a very friendly environment. If you do not have patience, this job is not for you other than that I would strongly recommend Philander to anyone.
Housing
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 22, 2017
Philander is expanding its housing department and used me as are source to help with training and living learning community development plans. The administration is on to great things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philander Smith College. Our community is ready to answer.

Philander Smith College Reviews by Location