Philander Smith College Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

3.1Job Security & Advancement
As an administrative assistant my job was my passion in life.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 18, 2014
Philander Smith College has an enrollment of over 700 students; therefore, your joy of working with students is part of the compensation of your employment. A typical day consisted of counseling students or directing them to the person(s) to help them resolve their issues. Often I was first the person in the office and was greeted with overnight emergencies or concerned parents via Security reports or voice mails on the phone. I checked the VP's schedule to make arrangements for necessary meetings and emailed her information activities during her absence. The staff worked as a team and sometimes in the absence of our leader my position required me to be team leader.

The highlight of the job was seeing the students matriculate through the academic process and graduate with a bright future ahead. The hardest part of the jobs was to see students sent home due to financial reasons or academic failures.The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of their lives and know that I made a difference. After graduation, I become their friend and continue to be a mentor.
Pros
Schedule was unpredictable, working late and some weekends; therefore, my schedule was flexible.
Cons
Benefits were expensive.
Very easy college student position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ArDecember 15, 2013
I had it made for work-study doing my college days. Easy, laid back position that required little or no training. Front desk job that involved greeting students, filing, typing, and keep up with the Dean of Students calendar.
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
There were no shortcomings that I can remember.
unorganized
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 10, 2013
the institution is very unorganized, poor mangement, poor morale from staff and faculty