Philander Smith College Employee Reviews

Great place
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 20, 2017
As an adjunct professor and former student, my love for Philander is deep. The staff and faculty are great people. Excellent place to be! I plan to be at Philander for a while.
Pros
Management Relationship
Benefits
very fun and ineresting job
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 25, 2017
i love how everything is less supervised and there isn't anyone breathing down your neck to make sure you reach certain deadlines. i also like how your work reflects you as a person instead of the relationships you have with ppl
Family Oriented
PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 6, 2017
Family oriented and down to earth. Wonderful student body! Able to learn and grown from colleagues and the student body!
Very flexible hours
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 23, 2017
As a student worker, I am able to set a schedule that allows me to continue classes and work when I am available. Student workers are paid once a month which kind of allows money management.
Amazing nice people
Little Rock Summer Youth Internship (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 8, 2015
Amazing work environment. I love to work in that environment. The staff and students were very wonderful and respectful.
Learning Experience
Freshman Year Experince Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work is very eventful. Working with the student, creating events, and meetings created a high volume type of day. But working in that environment helped me sharpen my communication skills and organization skills. I was able to manage 14 RA's and 15 first year mentors. With the help of my coworkers it was manageable and successful. The hardest part of the job was dealing the with students as they transition from high school to college, but it became the most enjoyable part because I was able to see them grown.
College atmosphere
Assistant Director of Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Memphis, INJuly 2, 2015
Great atmosphere with the ability to work with high school and college students, to help them achieve their dreams and goals.
Pros
Travel
Cons
ability for promoting real limited because of budget
Overall, the experience is what I needed to guide me to what I want my career to be.
Residential Life Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 15, 2015
Unfortunately, Philander Smith College was transitioning administration which created a hostile environment. However, connecting with students. primarily creating relationships with students, provided me the gratification of working with PSC.
Productive fun place to work
Admissions Counselor/Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 12, 2015
Productive and fun place to work. I like it. It is a 4-year liberal arts college. It is a private college so it has a personal touch with a small student body,
PSC Review
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 4, 2015
Working for PSC taught me how to make something out of nothing and to use the resources that were available to me. This institution has made a better administrator out of me.
As an administrative assistant my job was my passion in life.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 18, 2014
Philander Smith College has an enrollment of over 700 students; therefore, your joy of working with students is part of the compensation of your employment. A typical day consisted of counseling students or directing them to the person(s) to help them resolve their issues. Often I was first the person in the office and was greeted with overnight emergencies or concerned parents via Security reports or voice mails on the phone. I checked the VP's schedule to make arrangements for necessary meetings and emailed her information activities during her absence. The staff worked as a team and sometimes in the absence of our leader my position required me to be team leader.

The highlight of the job was seeing the students matriculate through the academic process and graduate with a bright future ahead. The hardest part of the jobs was to see students sent home due to financial reasons or academic failures.The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of their lives and know that I made a difference. After graduation, I become their friend and continue to be a mentor.
Pros
Schedule was unpredictable, working late and some weekends; therefore, my schedule was flexible.
Cons
Benefits were expensive.
Positive atmosphere
Teacher Mentor Upward Bound Program (Current Employee) –  Little Rock ARJuly 21, 2014
Normal day starts at 7.30 for the UB teacher mentors
Although our classtime was only 45 minutes this year most of the mentors utilized every second. The most enjoyable part of the job is students utilizing what they have learned over the summer.
Na
Assistant to Division Chair (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 10, 2014
I • Support Division Chair & Faculty: Manage the daily operations of the Affairs in my division,
research, coordination of workshops, prepare travel requests, expense actual forms, plan and assist with division conferences, assist in the preparation, organization, and delivery of materials for meetings and events. Complete special projects as assigned by the Division Chair and Vice President of Student Affairs. Order and stock inventory supplies and equipment; submit repair work orders. Oversee student file system and organize and host office social events
• Student Support: Supervise work-study students. Assist with plans for graduate school, work with Registrar to maintain information on the students in the division, provide resources for students that will help them academically. Prepare packets for degree audit. Inform students about incoming internships and other opportunities.
Very easy college student position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ArDecember 15, 2013
I had it made for work-study doing my college days. Easy, laid back position that required little or no training. Front desk job that involved greeting students, filing, typing, and keep up with the Dean of Students calendar.
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
There were no shortcomings that I can remember.
productive work and school atmophere
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 1, 2013
Its a good HBCU to attended I learned a lot while attending that college. They give you a lot of things to experience, they are very helpful and they are about there students.
Pros
being able to travel and learn and do different things
Cons
no to many learing events on campus like before
outstanding teacher of the year
Professor - Department of Humanities (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 9, 2013
here I was able to open minds, raise expectations and instruct students looking to make their mark in the world.. I still get great satisfaction when students contact me and thank me for the experience they had in my classroom....
unorganized
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 10, 2013
the institution is very unorganized, poor mangement, poor morale from staff and faculty
Fun and enjoyable place of work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 12, 2012
Great days always, I learned that you can have fun and work at the same time, management is awesome, there are no co-workers, there is nothing hard about this job, everything about this job is wonderful
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
no free lunch