Play YouTube video button

Philips Employee Reviews for Field Service Engineer

Featured review
Philips selected this as a representative review
Very nice people to work with
Compliance - Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 13, 2018
Great place to work but as a contracted employee there was no opportunity for a temp to hire. Had a chance to learn new computer applications as in SAP.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Temp job
Going downhill
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 11, 2018
Worked for a company that had 65% of market when Phillips acquired them. By the time I was let go they had 25% of market.
Good things about the job was disappearing fast.
January 18, 2018

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback, it’s much appreciated!

Disheartened and betrayed
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 5, 2018
In a nut shell, Philips has changed in the past five years for the worst. In an effort to maintain margins, Philips has sacrificed customer and employee satisfaction by emphasizing quantity over quality. This is despite several big time debacles like the Cleveland factory shutdown. Moral is very low, employee's are scrambling for the exit doors because of the quarter to quarter profit at all cost philosophy. Through outsourcing and layoffs, Philips is gutting the workforce in hopes that the people left behind will work harder and smarter. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Senior management actions appear short sided and lack vision. My hope is that the individual responding to these on-line critiques will push this feed- back up the food chain and maybe this will be the beginning of a sea change in quality from the top down instead of talking about quality but doing the opposite. Philips was once great, it genuinely cared about customer service, quality and employee satisfaction. Philips can get there again but it requires our senior management to be courageous and to think beyond the next quarter.
Pros
It is great to work with sophisticated equipment that changes patients lives for the positive.
Cons
Senior mangement that appears to cares very ittle about the individual, at this company you are expendable
January 11, 2018

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share a few words on your experience in working for us. We are here to listen and really appreciate the feedback you're providing us with. We're always willing to learn and grow and input from our employees is a very valuable source. Thank you again for sharing and for all the work that you are doing for us.

Fse
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  OregonDecember 15, 2017
I loved and enjoyed working for Philips when I got hired I was promised growth in a company and that there would be long hours. Philips is great and working for Philips was a dream job. Manager, on the other hand, wanted me to run my big territory from 8-5 but it was impossible because I had 4 hours one-way drive plus projects but he kept saying no over time and need to figure out how to work within the 8-5. Working as Field Service Engineer has a lot of grey area but when someone tries to create black and white rules for you and then blame you for working running territory in a black and white schedule especially after a complaint from the customer side is not fair to FSE. Long story short my management made me work for free most of the time because they didn't want to pay overtime but I knew that customers won't understand that and that I needed to take care of them because I cared about Philips growth even do management didn't want to pay overtime. There is way more to say and write about my experience to management but I will keep it to my self unless Philips would like to know personal why I wrote all this then I would lay everything on paper. I am sure this is not what Philips is all about but my experience wasn't with Philips was bad. After i spoke up for being blamed for something i didn't do in a professional manner I was later asked to leave within few weeks after speaking up and showing facts but I guess my management didn't like that which is sad because we were all a team and needed to work together. I truly don't have an explanation for why i was treated the way  more... i was after putting all the free hours of work and delivering 120% for all my customers.  less
Pros
Great company, benefits, jobs
Cons
Philips needs fair management
December 21, 2017

Good morning,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We really appreciate the hard work and dedication, without a doubt! But we don't want our employees to over-do it. We regret hearing that you felt this kind of pressure from your manager, this is certainly not the way we want you and our other colleagues to feel. We're all about transparency, so if there is anything else that you feel is necessary to share, please do! We're all ears. We can see that you are not a current employee anymore, otherwise we would have encouraged you to discuss this with an HR manager to make your daily business life a bit more comfortable. Hopefully you have found another cool job in the meantime.

More with less
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 9, 2017
My problem with Philips was they took the ideal of doing more with less to far. It got to the point where the staff that they retained is left doing the work of a team that was higher staffed in the past
Benefits
Cons
stress
November 16, 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience as Field Service Engineer. I'll make sure your feedback is sent forward within the company. For now I'd like to wish you the best in your career going forward. Thanks for your time with us.

Loved this job
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  texasAugust 15, 2017
Loved this job. Wish I could have stayed. I was laid off due to cut backs. Unfortunately there are cut backs every year and you never know if your the next one. I didn't feel save around the same time each year
Pros
Training, they do not cut short of training.
Cons
Job security
August 24, 2017

Hi, we regret hearing that your experience in working for us didn't turn out as you wished it would. We are a company that is evolving and appreciate your feedback as this allows us to improve our services. Thanks for the work you've done for us!

Big company
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJuly 24, 2017
European company run by Americans.
Overall a good company.
Training was excellent.
A good place to work. I was offered more money and left.
The management is focused on bonuses not customer service.
Great company to work for
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 10, 2017
Field service engineers typically control their daily schedules. Management would only convene when necessary to complete tasks. The daily tasks were enjoyable, providing healthcare providers great service of their equipment. The only bad thing was windshield time, Spending hours in commuter traffic wears on you.
Pros
Continuous training, great management, new vehicles
Cons
Drive time
July 13, 2017

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! It sounds like you had a really enjoyable experience while working for us and it makes us very happy to hear that. We can imagine that the windshield time does wear one down after a while and we truly appreciate all the work you've done for us. Thank you.

overly concerned about profit
FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER 3 (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 17, 2017
too many managers that create extra work.

not enough workers to handle customer needs

upper management drives there agenda does not respond to employee feedback
Pros
good pay benifits
Cons
do not want to pay overtime . keep reducing perks/ benifits
June 22, 2017

We appreciate that you've taken the time to go over a couple of points in regards to your experience. Please do know that your work as field service engineer is very much appreciated. It's a pity to hear that you feel that your feedback isn't heard. That might be something to discuss with the HR department, or the managing personnel themselves. We hope to provide an open environment where everyone can have their input in a great variety of matters.

great place to work
Field Service Engineer for Ultrasound and PACS (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 7, 2015
enjoy working for the company great staff and colleagues. Products line if great. Company willing to help you learn other technologies by providing you training.
Great employee-centered company
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 12, 2015
good benefits
great co-workers
ability to move up within the company
i learned a lot about customer service and enjoyed the challenging environment
World-wide company with a highly varied range of products
Theraputic Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irwin, PA (Home)June 25, 2015
I was originally hired by Respironics which had just been aquired by Philips Healthcare. During the nearly five years that I have been with the company it has been in a constant state of flux due to the integration of Respironics into the corporate world of Philips. The change from a reletively small company to a world-wide corporation has been challenging; most noticabley in the lack of flexability in performing the job.

The essense of the work is unchanged. I install, maintain and service life-support equipment in the hospital environment in a multi-state territory interacting with a variety of individuals from various parts of the country. I work out of my home, travel often, define the majority of my priorities and set my own schedules. This part of the work I enjoy very much. What was lost by integrating with such a large corporation was the ability to be flexable on the job. With a smaller company, you were not only authorized to make decisions on-the-fly, you were expected to. This was the most notable change in the large corporate world and I firmly believe this has had a heavy negetive impact on customer satisfaction. This is not just my opinion. This view was repeatedly expressed to me by my customers.

I am hoping to find a company where personal initiative is still embraced and appreciated as an asset, not a flaw.
Pros
Very well established company
Cons
Virtually no room for personal growth
Too big
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2015
Philips cannot get administrative issues or back end infrastructure under control in making the company more efficient.
Pros
n/a
Cons
layoffs happen
Great corporate mindset
Field Service Engineer Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Peoria IlMay 9, 2015
Sad to leave company, but because of family issues, this stood up for their employees. Learn a great deal of information, and how a true corporation treats people.
Pros
great employor
Cons
at time long hours, but get it done
Great place to work. The equipment that you serviced was a challange.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worked out of the Memphis TN area.March 26, 2015
The training at Philips was incredible. There were all kinds of factory training schools, and you were attending one at least three times a year.
Great compensation but low work life balance
CT/MRI Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJanuary 29, 2015
Management is poor, at least in the louisiana Area. Lots of turn over with managers. Not a realistic view of customer reality and work policies. Great benefits. Not the best team work, but is systemic because of policies put in place. still you find good quality field service engineers to work with.
You can learn a lot when team working with like minded individuals. Dealing with customers sense of entitlement vs the reality of their entitlements can be hard.
Is very enjoyable to be able to help customers and earn their trust.
Great Career Overall I am satisfied with my career at Philips
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 20, 2014
The work is very interesting and satisfying. The people are great to work with.

Management has deteriorated recently, especially middle management. The focus is on reporting numbers without regard for the cost.

The work environment for Field Service Engineers is not good. Morale is very low.
Pros
The work is very interesting and satisfying
Cons
They are in a constant state of change.
great company
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Roselle, ILOctober 21, 2014
Philips is an excellent company to work for. They have amazing growth opportunities and benefits
Monthly active with co-worker
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 20, 2014
A off the clock relationship was well created to balance a hectic work place. Manager was true to their open door policy.
Pros
hang out
Cons
Fast pace work place
Field Service Engineer
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Central Illinois remote serviceOctober 11, 2014
Great job, wonderful customers, challenging work. It was a hard decision to leave this position but family advancement and the opportunity to spend more time with my children is priceless. The part of this position, I now know, was that I travel way to much. The travel took me away from my children and family. I service medical equipment, general maintenance, calibrations and emergency down service. The hospitals were in 4 states, causing the travel.
Pros
Challenging work, informed customers
Cons
Travel
Field Service Engineer
Ultrasound Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAOctober 2, 2014
Ordering parts
Calling customers
scheduling QAA's and work orders
Pros
Company car, cell phone, laptop, Going to different locations
Cons
short breaks, weekend and late night work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philips. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

62%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.