Philz Coffee Employee Reviews

Helpful but stressful
Barista and Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 18, 2019
A typical day at Philz, as a supervisor, consisted of making sure all of the employees under your shift were properly taken care of (i.e. breaks, lunches). One would have to switch the cash drawer, count the safe, and communicate with the other supervisor everything that was going on regarding the store and its efficiency. Not all supervisors agreed with each one's work ethic, which resulted in a stressful environment.
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling
Cons
healthcare, poor management
Fun Place to Work, Disappointing management
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAMay 9, 2019
I have been with Philz Coffee for over 3 years, and while I did enjoy my time working there for the most part, the demeanor of the company, specifically through its new management and store leaders, went downhill very fast. As someone who was a Team Lead with a lot of experience at Philz, nothing I said about the store mattered to our new store leader, and he turned out to be extremely lazy and lied often when addressed with certain issues. Many baristas had more time on the floor than he did, yet he was unwilling to take suggestions or feedback from them. When this issue was brought to light to the Area Leader, it was dismissed harshly; aka our voices, ones who have seen 4 store leaders come and go, were not being heard and that is why I chose to leave the company. It is misfortunate, because I did enjoy my time there in the beginning and made many friends. Philz as a company needs to stop posing as a family business, as it is clear they no longer act like one. I understand the business is experiencing a great bit of growth, but they should start matching their mantra to that business model instead of lying to their new employees about the "culture" they try but so fail to create. It is a shame.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks, poor tip system, poor store leaders
Fast Pace and work heavy enviornment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 23, 2019
The workplace at Philz Coffee in San Francisco was very fast pace and busy. we had a week of onboard training where we were taught how to be a Philz team member through their "Phliz University". the experience was engaging and set me up for success when faced with my first customers. they had us memorize drinks in order to quicken work pace.
Pros
Free coffee and one meal item. Healthcare benifits are good.
Cons
mentally exhasting work.
A fun place to earn some extra money
Barista/ Server (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2019
Even though Philz is a quickly-growing chain, it feels like a mom and pop type coffee shop, and everything is personalized. Staff are encouraged to treat customers like they're our friends, which contributed to a positive environment.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
management is disorganized
Very fun and accepting work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA 91101April 1, 2019
This company was great at hiring a diverse team member crew, and were all very accepting of identities and it was very easy to create a schedule that worked for you; they also didn't have a strong dress code which allowed everyone to express themselves freely.
Pros
Free lunches and drinks while working, relaxed dress code
Met some amazing people!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 17, 2019
I loved working for Philz coffee. The history of Philz and the culture it was intended to preserve were one of the main reasons I applied there. However, like with any start up it was hard to preserve that culture amidst highly rapid growth. I wanted to work my way into the corporate office, but there was a lot of unnecessary push back.
Pros
Free Coffee and a meal on shift!
Cons
No growth potential beyond retail.
Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2019
A typical work day consist of you on a morning or afternoon shift that consist of at least two other coworkers. There is always a shift lead there working along side you and who's there for support. The customers are great. The store manager is the one who does the schedules and the one I was assigned to was the best boss I could have. She was always accommodating of my scheduling needs and when she couldn't, she would always make sure you were aware of the situation.
Pros
free lunches, great break times, schedule flexibility, great pay
Cons
not enough hours to give out. Not many locations on the east coast to apply to.
Such a fun place to work for.
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2019
In between changing the music for the store as well as lounge next door, wreaking your piercings and wild hair, a range of outfits that are allowed to wear, made the environment so much fun to be at. The manager had a huge sympathetic heart and I will miss my team!
Free coffee, great vibes, and opportunity for growth
Barista Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Most enjoyable part of the job is the culture. Management looks at an individuals character rather than their education or degree. Philz Coffee works to create a unique culture behind their unique approach to coffee.
First place I've ever worked and I love it
Barista, Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 31, 2018
Philz Coffee is my first ever job and I've stayed here almost 4 years now. Thank you for a great time over these last few years and in my finishing time, I hope to continue to keep the heartbeat of our company.
Pros
Free Coffee, Great People, Wouldn't trade this at the moment.
Cons
Advancing is confusing
A laid back job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2018
It's a very good job as either a part time or supplemental source of income, with flexible scheduling.

The hours can be rough if you aren't comfortable with early hours or closing the shop.

The route for advancement can be very frustrating if you aren't prepared to fully embrace company culture without question.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor outlook for advancement
Its not as great as it looks once you get behind the bar
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 20, 2018
When I first started, it was a smaller company, promoted within, really had a culture of bettering peoples days and supporting community. But it expanded too quickly, and became money hungry and lost its spark, started only hiring externally, and left a lot of older stores behind while building and expanding too quickly.
Great Place to work!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 20, 2018
I love Philz! Definitely a great environment to work in. Not only with the team members but the customers make it even better. Such a great culture to be apart of!
Lots of room to grow
Communications & Engagement Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2018
Thanks, Philz, for letting me grow in my career! In the almost five years I've been with the company, I've had an incredible amount of autonomy to learn and develop.
A company like no other
Barista (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2018
Philz is such an amazing and different experience than I have ever had at any other job. I feel like they really do care about there workers and customers. I highly recommend this to anyone who can work fast and put a smile on someone’s face!
Fast paced environment with emphasis on quality customer service
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 9, 2018
A typical day consisted of me usually opening the store around 5am, where customers are already there hoping you remember their orders. New customers make the job worthwhile because you can make someone's day. As barista it is your job to maintain flow of multiple, hand-crafted, pour over coffee orders. Must be able to remember individualized blends, sugar, milk, etc. As a barista you also shift from working on bar to taking out trash, working the register, doing food, etc. The hardest part was being able to keep up with the line going out the door, for those who cannot multi-task. I enjoyed the fast pace and being able to have fun interactions with customers! Also, I liked being a part of a team :)
Pros
Free tea/coffee
Cons
Pay does not help cover SF rent
Great to grow
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 6, 2018
Philz overall is a good company with a good heart, and with every growing company, there are some challenges it faces. I think this job is perfect for someone with a lot of energy, for those who are looking for a great part-time gig. You will meet some incredible people and life-long friends. The culture is pretty good for the most part. As the company has grown, the culture has fallen off a bit, but still holds onto its core. Work/Life balance as a Store Leader is non-existent if you are trying to have a life outside of Philz. Being in leadership really demands most of your time, and if your life is your work, then you will be very successful in a leadership role. There are a lot of growth opportunities with the company if you are starting as a barista. There are very few opportunities for advancement the further in leadership you grow. I have a lot of love for this company, and I believe they aren't going anywhere.
Bettering Days.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CASeptember 10, 2018
My time at Philz was something I will forever hold close. With the company I was able to meet some of my favorite people, along with dip my toes in the water when it came to business culture. While it wasn't a career for me, just a job while I got my education settled, it's a place of work that I recommend to anyone who is looking for something relaxed, easy, and all together empowering.
Pros
free coffee
Not a fun place to work
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 24, 2018
Great coffee,
Great people.
Great culture but no one follow through with the culture.
Upper management has no idea what going on in the store.
Pros
Free coffee and great employee
Cons
Upper management doesn’t support you
A loving and fun work enviorment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 5, 2018
The work life at Philz is amazing and they are very careful of who they hire. Every thing was very lovely about the place. The work is hard but it is easy to deal with because of the enviorment that they create.
Pros
Great work enviorment
Cons
Very messy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Philz Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight