Phipps Neighborhoods Employee Reviews

You need to be alert
id rather not (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 4, 2018
I was a group leader at Phipps among other things. The work/life balance is great. During holiday camps/summer it can get kind of hectic. Pay is alright for a part time job. I was promised a lot of things that ended up not happening but some other great things did. So I guess it worked out in the end? oh well :T Just wasn't a big fan of my coworkers since they liked to talk too much.
Pros
Work life balance / working with kids
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement.. Sort of?
Management Lost Sight Of Mission
Activity Specialist/ Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 6, 2018
Phipps Neighborhoods is a good organization that offers a lot of training to their staff to better equip them for the job. I learned a lot about writing lesson plans, facilitating activities creatively, understanding child development, doing civic engagements and project based learning, along with many other things. In the beginning I was very excited to work for the organization although the pay was modest. I moved up from an activity specialist to a program assistant within 3 months which made me feel the potentiality for advancement was great. Unfortunately management changed and caused a big shift within the organization. Their motto is "rising above poverty". But I feel with new management they lost site of this goal and it became more about politics and avarice. They lost site of the community and because of that, they lost the support of some communities who have been thriving because of the after school program. Now so many middle schoolers won't get the chance of a positive influence this after school once delivered.
Pros
Offers a lot of training.
Cons
Bad management
Stressful
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 26, 2018
They were not organized. There was no structure to this job. And I had no free time for myself. I barely got the time to eat lunch. I was hired as a group leader but wasn’t able to teach my class the way I wanted to due to lack of supplies and support from my manager.
Great Work Enviroment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  2136 Crotona AveJanuary 18, 2018
Great place to work, Family oriented Management has your back and will train you as much as possible. They understand Diverse and work on upholding it.
productive workplace
Clerical Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2018
this was one of the best jobs that I worked at because it was very well balance for me personally also helped me manage my time very well compare to the first job that i had
Such a great foundation for Youth
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 9, 2018
Program has such a strong connection with community from parent to teacher and with other resources the children are experiencing like recreational centers The program is able to help the function of so many families in the community.
Pros
Free after school, free trips when school is out, Program actually connects and maintains great relationp with children's school teachers
Friendly and fast-paced enviroment
Front Desk Receptionist (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 19, 2017
It was a pleasure to work in Phipps Neighborhoods. I was treated with respect and more importantly, I upgraded my listening and computer skills while working on the front desk.
Pros
Free lunches
Hard working
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 6, 2017
This was a place were you were able to get to know people and find thing that may interest you in the future.Also having a job like this was a hard working job because there were alway something to do and their was no relaxing no if you were done
Pros
Get to know more people
Cons
Lot off work
Phipps Review
HSE(GED) Instructor/Career Network Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 1, 2017
Overall I found my experience at Phipps Neighborhoods discouraging and stressful. Among the list of issues, the most discouraging of all was the lack of flexibility for working parents (my manager was abusive verbally and was willing to withhold pay for my service as a worker--which is illegal).
Pros
The services provided to low income neighborhoods
Cons
The lack of professionalism and abuse from management
enjoyable setting
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Crotona Park, NYOctober 15, 2017
Phipps was a cool place where you got to take on responsibility for younger kids. The connections that you create with the kids at the job will last forever
Non-supportive management and HR department
Director of Early Childhood Education (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 12, 2017
Organization is known for lack of job security collaborating with their HR department to hire friends and others for less salary while dismissing loyal workers claiming they had to do a program restructure.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
Job security
Very cool place to work
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 9, 2017
It's a cool plays to work , friendly environment . You have to be very punctual and dress with proper attire . It's a great place to work they jus didn't have as many hours as I would like
Great place loving people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2017
The job is great seeing new faces , meeting new people and learning about people on a whole differnt level wa sjust so amazing and eye opening . i would most defitnily do it again if given the oppurtunity.
Pros
meeting new people, trying new things
Cons
filing papers
Working with participants
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 11, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping our participants.

It was difficult working with the school because the principal wasn't involved much.
Very informative and fun
Family Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 3, 2017
Working with difficult clients that didn't wanted to accept the assistance they needed .the company provided staff with training in the areas of culture diversity ,first aid (cpr) domestic violence,child abuse and neglect and case management
Cons
Salary cuts
Management Matters
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2017
Management at Phipps works on favoritism, not the quality of work produced. If they like you, they will open doors for you, if they find a reason to dislike you after you've been hired, what you'll experience is impulsive senior management who makes decisions without obtaining all the information required.

There you will find a claim to work for the community, but it is the mouth that is speaking, not the heart. Managers that find it difficult to say good morning or afternoon speak volumes about their feelings in the midst of their silence.
Cons
Management could treat the employees better and not act like they are better than everyone else.
Great place for children and teens to be.
Soccer For Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 21, 2017
A typical day at work depends on how the participants are behaving. The days are usually hit and miss. Some of the the staff members can be a bit challenging but on most days everybody does their job.
Pros
Meals are provided
Cons
Managment can be bad sometimes
good place
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2017
i learned alot at working in this job like working with kids just have me have better communication and also hafe betterskills and the lesson plans took have me t6hinking i was a teacher instead of a group leader
Challenging individuals to work with.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 30, 2017
Assisting Homeless families obtain permanent housing through intense counseling.

You learn that nothing is personal and it's genuinely up to the individual's being served to better themselves.

Management is thoughtful to staff whenever possible. Genuinely good people. Workplace culture is good.

The hardest part of the job is the insurmountable amount of paper work along with having non stop interruptions from clients while trying to focus on completing work within time frames.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing positive outcomes with clients and great colleagues.
Pros
Meeting people from different walks of life and Good co-workers.
Cons
Heavy, heavy amounts of paper work. Low pay.
Busy and Sensitive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Pretty busy with database, interactive with participants, but unfortunately some of the people are mainly uncomfortable to work with. A lot of egos to feed with a mix of control and unprofessional reactions. Besides the higher level co-workers the participants are so much fun to be around and they keep you enthusiastic.