Phoenix House Employee Reviews

Work environment became toxic as upper management changed.
Bilingual Therapist-Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 23, 2018
The site that closed due to poor management. lack of training and overworked staff created a toxic work environment. Great staff were dedicated to working with the clients and families. Great work with probation and Social Workers to improve the lives of teenager; however poor management resulted in the establishment shutting down, as well as other sites in different counties. Upper management was fired and the company was sued for not paying staff, as well as providing a stressful working environment.
Pros
great staff to work with, great resource for teens that are struggling with addiction and team atmosphere.
Cons
poor management, lack of training, deceitful working environment that impacted the overall program, over worked employees and a high turnover rate
Not recommended
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CAAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed working with the kids at this facility. The clientele helped me grow and evolve. The other staff here are vindictive and unprofessional. The management give poor communication and training. There is no appreciation here. Management are bullies. This placed is currently being sued by many current and past employees.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Long hours with poor compensation
N/a
Lead Cook/Overseer (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAOctober 19, 2018
Prepared meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) for residents (about 60 meals per time of day); attentive to special dietary or nutritional restrictions.
Praised by residents for excellence in meal quality and ability to cater to special needs
Supervised morning and evening kitchen crews x employees per shift), specifically meal preparation and kitchen/gallery clean up and inspection.
Responsible for inventory and ordering of food supplies.
Ok place to work
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 8, 2018
Phoenix House is a good place to work at times. They do not reward hard work and dedication. Long hours for managers. No raises with annual review.
Pros
working with residents
Cons
no raises do not reward hard work
Substance Abuse Residential Treatment Facility
Overnight Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 17, 2018
A typical day of work would entail, providing supportive case management to adults in a residential treatment facility.

I learned how to work with adults in the field of substance abuse and how to apply therapeutic interventions and techniques in order to assist them.

Management is very knowledgeable in the substance abuse field. They provided one on one supervision and conducted case conferences in order for us to gain knowledge, when situations arise.

The workplace culture was respectful and collaborative.

The hardest part was ensuring that every individual had the support and needs met by the time they were ready to leave the program.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the individual who suffered from mental illness, domestic violence, trauma and/or abuse surpass all obstacles become confident, independent and successful.
Pros
Superiors were available to assist staff in every situation.
Cons
Parking wasn't the greatest
LVT-PH Management is Bad! It's all about politics "Friends"
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Lake ViewSeptember 24, 2018
This Facility was once a place where most of the staff enjoyed working for LVT-PH. Change came two and half years ago and it's been just that "Change in progress". PH has NO program for the youth. PH has been placed on hold by probation several times and just recently was place on hold again (if parents,CSW's, probation, CCL only knew what's really going on). Still nothing changes and NO program. It's a setup for failure for the youth and it's sad. The RSS, CM, nursing and Fm's do an amazing job with NO support and NO working materials. They get no acknowledgment for all their hard work. Some higher ups (Including 2-Seniors) sit in their offices "catching-up"). Staff go without taking lunches. STRTP was suppose to be the Program but where's it at? Meanwhile the youth are Awoling and NO Administrators will come to provide support. They hired new Facility Managers (Residential Directors friends) yet, the documentation and other duties are poor due to poor training. Sad to see all the best FM's quit; they're overworked and burnout. New hired FM's train each other (blind leading the blind). Directors treat you with no respect and If you get respect it's because your their "friend". The turn around for staff is very high! The new Residential Director takes lead and there has been about 20 or more quality staff that have quit. The Residential Director lacks management skills, and doesn't know how to run a facility. The HR is suppose to support staff yet only supports the Administrators due to being friends. It will be a matter of time when they shut down. Why isn't the Residential  more... Director and Program Director let go? There's a reason why they aren't at Five acres or Vista Del Mar....
God bless the staff and youth.
Benefits
Cons
No management, no program, no support, no raises.
This employer has put out a lot of money to put together an on site gym for employees as well as client use.
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CA.July 31, 2018
Management does not support employees. They seem to have their own agenda and do not share it with the employees. Input from employees is not taken seriously.
Some of the management team has very few communication skills.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the adolescents and hopefully making a difference in their lives as well as their families lives.
Pros
Sharing my own life experiences with the adolescents, show empathy to the circumstances that brought the adolescents to P.H., help the clients with their options to improve their lives, and help the adolescents gain the tools needed to improve their lives in the future.
Cons
Due to limited staffing breaks are difficult to take.
Potential but ultamatley to many shortfalls for me
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandOctober 31, 2018
Lack of supervision from upper management. Lower level management staff is overloaded which trickles down to poor supervision and no support for direct line staff. Some of their depts. don't even have a reception staff to greet people. Don't really want to bash this place but I never see any movement towards improvement.
Pros
I love my team of workers
Cons
Management is to big for thier britches
Don't do it to yourself
Recovery Advocate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 24, 2018
PH is a wreck. Kids run wild, staff expected to work long hours of ot, upper management is NEVER present. You don't have to have any real experience working with youth so many employees are unqualified to work at a ymca, never mind a youth rehab. The focus is getting the kids to do what we say, not helping them get/stay clean. All anyone is complain about the kids and gossip about other staff. Toxic work environment.
Pros
Some kids were great
Cons
Upper management is a joke
Large Substance Abuse Treatment provider whose practices need to be brought up to date.
National Director of Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2018
Most of the Phoenix House programs are Therapeutic Communities. You will learn a lot about that approach. It doesn't offer the broad range of services that many (most) clients need. Except for executive staff, staff is under paid.
Pros
Large company with locations in several states.
Cons
Poor salary. Lack of a wide range of service types.
poor training and lack of communication
Case Manager/Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  LVTSeptember 11, 2018
At PH, only upper management makes important decisions without taking the other employees recommendations which leads to poor decisions such as loosing the LA Probation Department and DCFS contract.
The program manager, unit manager and mental health care manager are at PH only to gain and not to give to their patients, families nor employees.
Pros
Cons
many
Substamce abuse
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 29, 2018
Seeing clients who are scheduled for review of their progress in the program
Counseling 25 men ( DOC ) on my case load, participating in an Alternative to Incarceration Program

Families are in trouble, No males in the homes as a role model for their children an others in the communities

Provided case management and entitlement services

To transform their lives as tax paying citizens

large case load

Helping those who needed the transformation in life
Pros
Transforming lives
Cons
dealing with those clients who refuse to follow lifes rules
Counselor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the Phoenix House, the job was very rewarding. Of course, there were long hours, tough clients, inconsistency with staff and management, but it was rewarding. For the work I did, working alone or with only one other staff with all the responsibilities the pay was too low, and the hours leading to a quick burn out. If I were to work in this field again I would only consider part-time. One great perk of this job was my supervisor and the staff, they were lovely, caring people, that really cared for one another inside and outside of the job. Even though we may have had our differences we were a team at the end of the day. Another sweet perk was free food anytime of day, and we had an outstanding cook. Working here made me better at time management, in this fast-paced environment you really have to figure out your priorities and pick your battles. I gained a lot of communication skills working with such a large variety of clientele. The most enjoyable part of the job was redirecting a client to be motivated about their recovery.
Not what you expect
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 18, 2018
I have learned a lot from the job but it’s a stressful environment and it’s just not a place to be if you are a women. Can’t trust your coworkers nor anyone. You can trust yourself. Phoenix House is indeed very discriminating against people with disabilities and anyone who wants to work here shouldn’t. Because most of the employees are not there to help but to push and make themselves look good. You will get a few who are nice. The pay sucks because you work with the worst of the worst. We get paid less than a correction officer. We are employees that teach a class of 12 inmates. These guys get frustrated everyday. It’s not worth the pay to risk your life. Have your own back in this place because that’s all you got.
Pros
Cons
Heat, smart mouths, arguing, disagreement, cussing, talking behind your back
Awful environment to work for
Temp (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 19, 2018
No training and expect you to mind read and know it all, The place is always cold having problems with keeping up with bills and air condition temperature, Management is very unprofessional, rude and standoffish. Staff look at you as you if were from another planet.Never again I am glad I am not there anymore.
Pros
no pros
Cons
standoffish staff
Great environment
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Citra, FLMarch 21, 2018
Good work environment,great coworkers and management.gives opportunity to help people with drug addiction and life situations and putting their lives back together
Pros
Great environment
Cons
No pay raise
staff reaxed
Facilities Technician/painter (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 17, 2018
The staff are dedicated very helpful. my work day is very eventful I never know what my day is going to consist of. Phoenix Hose is a drug rehabilitation house we have around 80 clients at a time. I have learned house to deal with all types of personalities.I have learned that I like to help people and can handle different situations.
Pros
relaxwd atmosphere
Cons
lack of raises
Good place to work but lacking in direction
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYApril 18, 2018
Everyone seems nice and the pay and benefits are good. Management is not very organized but it is a non-profit. The employees seem content, but every office has residence/customers that are going through the alcohol and drug rehab.
Pros
Salary, benefits, and most people are good
Cons
Management has little direction
Fun place to work with really nice coworkers
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
I honestly had the best time working at Phoenix House. At first, it gave me the opportunity to work from home for most of the time. The actual work is the fun part of it. The negative things I have to say are regarding the administrative aspects. The future of our particular department was very uncertain as of late. The lack of transparency during a major company change was very lacking and therefore lowered the moral in my opinion. Also, merit increases were given to all departments of the company except mine and we were not given an clear reason as to why that was decided.
Pros
Awesome time working with great people and the community.
Cons
Lack of communication and unfair practices for the department
A good place to sharpen your counseling skills
Counselor (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2018
The Phoenix House is a great place to complete your internship and grow and develop into a very good counselor.

There is even clinical psychologists, counselors I & II, and other staff members that will assist you in passing the state exam and encourage advancement.
Pros
Ideal for completing your internship
Cons
The wait to become a paid counselor may take a while.