Phoenix House Employee Reviews

Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 7, 2019
Working here is vary stressful. Low pay even if you work hard they don't give raises. Job closed due to company not in complaint not due to work. Moved clients
been working as a counselor 1 my experience was a work place with lots of mess
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAJuly 6, 2019
a bad management, no job security lots of unfair judgment against employees . secretive friendship behind the scene were working more than the Director rules and orderings in the house .
Not at all worth working for
Journey (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAJuly 2, 2019
This company will promote untrained counselors overqualified qualified counselors. This company also promotes a hostile work environment based on race and color
NIGHT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 30, 2019
They truly give people who have had some previous involvement with the criminal justice system a chance. I got to spread my wings and I was able to help some folks in the process.
Pros
Really inspiring place to work
Cons
wasn't given enough hours
Low Pay Not Enough Hours
LPN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 29, 2019
Nice place to work. Pay was low and hours were not enough. CO workers were good to work with. Location was close enough to home. However hours were sparse and pay was too low to make up for it.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Low Pay
Presently Phoenix House undergoing major change
Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 27, 2019
My day started with eagerness to find out what the clients had accomplished that day. I learned to listen and let the clients talk when they needed an outlet. The management was always a source of contention. The rules changed from day to day, just like the weather! Most employees were in Recovery. This should have been an advantage to the clients since managers and other staff members had been in clients situation. I found that to not be true. Compassion was lacking from many staff members. I felt that some members of the staff at Phoenix House saw it as just a job, not being as helpful as they could have been. They could lift them up or tear them down. Clients are real people with real situations, seeking help.The hardest part of my job was when a client was discharged. Sometimes the client was deserving of discharge if a drug test came back positive. It was difficult to see a client discharged over having a cell phone, which they all knew was against policy. The most enjoyable part of my job was just being around the clients and hearing their stories.
Quick learning
Senior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 24, 2019
As this was my very first substance use Program that I worked for, I learned a lot very fast as I have experiences in my job title elsewhere. I loved it at Pheonix House.
Small Department Great Learning Opportunity
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJune 7, 2019
A key benefit of working in a small IT department is being involved in many IT related issues. Many of your task will be outside your core responsibility but you will gain better insight into the bigger picture.
Poor overall
Substance Abuse Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 5, 2019
Poor experience overall. Management is not supportive. Workplace culture is poor. Staff is poorly trained and educated. Learned many things that one should not do as a professional.
Pros
Cons
everything
not applicable
Counseling Therapist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 2, 2019
Not applicable at this time due to lack of time of employment. I have no more comments since it has been awhile. It is unimportant to comment now about my past experience.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
All right
First Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXJune 1, 2019
Work with inmate gave out meds to the inmates. I transfer clients from the jail. I serve food monte client to the canteen, I took the class to the doctor's.
Pros
This jod was ok.
Cons
Something was always diffrent.
My short employment with Phoenix House
Journey counselor (Former Employee) –  HIgh Desert state prison -CCRC Susanville, CAMay 30, 2019
It wes a good job until our program manager left to go on to another job. The new manager was manipulated by the staff under her. The staff were all friends before their employment. The Phoenix House did not come to the prison to check on their hired help and they were out of control.
The Phoenix program material was excellent and the inmates were really getting it. I was very impressed with the progress they were making and with the cognitive behavior Theapy taught there. I liked the population I worked with although challenging, they were receptive to what was being taught. They encouraged each other and really put the program in practice. Morale among the inmates in the program was high. I liked the motivational interviewing training that were given by Phoenix house foundation.
Pros
Offered CBT, evidence based, program material to teach, they taught motivational interviewing techniques, they laid out well planned progran material to be taught, they had an excellent program, their program built up confidence and pride in the program participants, it was a rewarding job, it was encouraging.
Cons
Not enough supervision by Phoenix House upper management, employees became their own bosses, empoyees taught the classes the way they wanted to, and it was not according to the Phoenix program manual.
They are closed
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, KSMay 23, 2019
business is closed. No longer open. Period. Why make me do this if it doesn't matter. Seriously. Need a way to skip this. Business went under. No longer taking patients.
Horrible place to work at
Recovery Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CAMay 21, 2019
The management is not supportive, they failed to do things right according to state mandate, treat the kids very bad and hispanic staff like slaves over worker 55 plus hours a week can't leave until overnight arrives. If they don't arrive you don't go home!!! Happened several occasions over night staff fails to keep children safe (they sleep). The management dismissed to keep other staff safe and makes staff write false reports. No bathroom breaks an occasional lunch. Straight chaos!!
Pros
Cons
Everything!!
Great place
Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2019
Best place that I've ever worked. The contract ended
Phoenix House, helped mae the transition to the new vendor easy to get through. Ive been trying to work for Phoenix House again.
Pros
Salary
Cons
In my opinion there wasn't any.
Staff/management has a non-caring attitude
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Citra, FLApril 27, 2019
Please ,know as a Christian and wonderful evaluations from all my career choices.. I came to Phoenix House to help other in Citra,Florida, caring for the women in the drug treatment program was my goal. But the women staff in the women unit and management were some of the heartless people you could ever meet.. The counselors, showed no care for the women and gossiping and cursing was the women staff daily routine .. NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK IF YOU WANT TO CARE FOR OTHERS.. You will just find others against you..
Pros
Women in drug unit are wonderful
Cons
Women staff and management, poor w/no quality of substance abuse, achievements for the women
excellent
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2019
Happy positive atmosphere... talented and caring personnel
management always positive - never negative
always there for staff and each other.
Questions always answered and assistance in guidance
Good place to help people with addiction.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 8, 2019
My day started with checking to see what program aspects were scheduled and then holding residents to the schedule. We typically had a meal and snacks along with free time to hang out or exercise. Residents had professionals to work through their program with them so staff generally just made sure the other aspects were completed like daily chores, homework and hygiene. I learned that many individuals have fallen through the cracks simply because they don't have people to care about them enough to guide them and intervene. Management was great but some supervisors aren't very friendly and can make things difficult by changing rules on residents and staff on a whim which was the hardest part. The best part of this job is seeing someone finally realize they can be sober and happy.
Pros
Helping people better themself.
Cons
Ego and power trips from supervisors.
DON'T work for this company!
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Citra, FLApril 2, 2019
If you do anything wrong they will fire you. It doesn't matter how long you have been working there or how good of a job you did. They do not believe in verbal or written warnings for a violation. There is NO job security working for this company.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Good training and supportive management, team collaboration
Counselor II, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 27, 2019
Phoenix House is a good company to work for. Team collaboration, supportive management, good training, good benefits although the pay wasn't that good for the work to be done.
Pros
work environment
Cons
pay rate