PHOENIX ZOO Employee Reviews

Great work environment for those who love customer service
Guest Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85008March 19, 2018
I was hired for the holiday season and was kept on a little after before being let go. It was one of my favorite jobs I've ever had and I highly recommend it. There is a lot of diversity and tons of fun people. It's much slower during the warmer months and during the day versus the nightly Zoo Lights, but the heat and slower pace of that time would be the only drawbacks in my opinion.
Pros
Animals
Fun and Supportive Workplace
Senior Guest Services Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2018
Everyone deals with stressful customers and or guests, the zoo has no lack of them either. But the zoo stands by their policies and their employees, if you do your job and know your job well they will have your back 100%
Pros
discounted food, tickets, and free experiences for employees.
Cons
Short breaks, High volume of guests now and then, blackout days for requesting time off
Life at the Phoenix Zoo
Horticulturist/Irrigation (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 15, 2017
I am a biochemistry major who has always loved plants. I had a great time working as a horticulturist at the Phoenix Zoo. I had to leave due to school, but it was a great place with more wonderful experiences with all of the employees and the animals and everything else that I could have ever imagined.
Pros
freedom of work, regular hours
Cons
uncertain expectations, no room for growth
I love it
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2017
I love the environment and the people that work at the zoo. Everyone is there because they love what they do and are passionate about similar things. It makes for a very productive working environment and going to work is a joy. Low pay but still a great place to work.
Fun/ nice people
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
I had a hard time at this job just because the management liked to pick favorites and I wasn't one of them. I loved being out in the zoo and helping guests with what they need.
Fun professional work place
EXHIBIT GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2017
The Phoenix zoo is a place that allows you to grow as an animal enthusiast, educator, and service representative.It is competitive which keeps you on your A-game but everyone is supportive and there is honestly no better place to work.
Zoo Life
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 5, 2017
I didn't get to work with any of the animals, it was all people to people interactions but they were still fun. Almost all my time was spent outside which was beautiful warm.
Pros
Working at a Zoo
Cons
Not working with the animals
It was ok
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
It was an ok job. Not too good but not too bad. Great employees, but if you were working alone in an area you couldn't use the bathroom at all even if it was super slow. It does work around your schedule but you don't get many hours a all.
Ready for a change
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2017
The Phoenix Zoo has been a great experience, just ready to broaden my horizons in a new and exciting career. I am greatful for the time I have spent with them and look forward to watching them grow their conservation efforts.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No paid breaks
Phoenix Zoo review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2017
The Phoenix Zoo was pretty cool. I worked in the food court so it was like any other job in the food industry. Fast paced a lot of yelling. Very hot as well. It was an alright job
Has potential to be a great place to work but..
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2017
This place has so much potential but the management could be better with development of the staff. Upper management should guide and help middle management but it would appear as if they don't. The turnover rate in most departments is something that should be looked at and seriously considered. It is appaling. Something is not right. This is not just that its hot or that it does not pay the best issue, this is a management issue.
This is a non-profit Zoo, the pay discrepencies between upper management and the rest of the people who work so hard, show up everyday and keep the zoo running is also very unbalanced.
Pros
free membership, dedicated animal keepers, great hourly staff dedicated volunteer staff
Cons
Troubling turnover rate, management that doesn't listen
Enjoyable for a first job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2017
Who doesn't want to work at the zoo as their first job! I was a student when I worked there and they were very flexible with my schedule which was a must. Awesome people to work with as well.
Learned a lot
Animal Diet Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2017
I learned a lot about how to work with different kinds of people. It's a very fast-paced, ever-changing job. Physically and mentally demanding. Occasional fun experiences.
Pros
Satisfaction providing something important for the animals
Cons
Some things are made more complicated that could be much simpler.
Wasn't amazing
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2017
I worked here to get by my freshman year of college. The pay was okay for it being my first job but hours were awful. During the holidays I'd work doubles due to it being short staffed and would sometimes have to miss class in order to help out.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Pay, managers, hours
You are able to do what you love as a career.
Part Time Primate Keeper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2017
It is a wonderful place to work. Working with animals keeps you on your toes, and it is always a challenge. If animals are your passion, you can't ask for a better workplace.
Decent part time work
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2017
Working for the phoenix zoo was a fun experience. While I worked there, I learned how to be efficient and manage large crowds. There was a large quantity of employees, so being a team player s most definitely a requirement.
Pros
Zoo membership, discounts, always on the move
Cons
Almost no advancement
great place if your're just starting out or looking to retire
Zookeeper/Animal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2017
I loved my time at the Phoenix Zoo and wouldn't trade it for the world. I wish that more full time opportunities had been available when my new supervisor took over. A change in management was exactly what our department needed, but by that time, I was burnt out from working two part time jobs, that I needed to part ways. I would also like to see the zoo offer some benefits to part time employees. However, every zookeeper know the sacrifices we make to take care of these animals and it's one worth making.
Pros
work with best animals, great supervisor, great work experience
Cons
not many job openings, no benefits for part time
fun
Cashier/Runner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at the zoo. However, I didn't enjoy being micromanaged. Overall, it's a fun experience. Plus, you get to go to the zoo for free
fun environment to work in.
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Main Gate, Camel Rides, and Monkey villageDecember 12, 2016
Working as a Photographer at the zoo is a great job. Everyone's like family. The perks to work at the zoo are awesome and our management are great people.
If You Can Work At The Phoenix Zoo, Do It!
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2016
I loved my 17 years with The Phoenix Zoo, I began as a volunteer and left as a Park Ranger after 17 years due to moved out of state. Being a Park Ranger with The Phoenix Zoo was the best years of my working life, loved it! It is a non-profit zoo so do not expect to make a lot of money working there, is the way it is but if you can afford to live on the wages I highly recommend it!
Pros
Interacting and educating the public, working around and with the animals, the whole zoo atmosphere, terrific managers, working outdoors
Cons
hot summers