PHOENIX ZOO Employee Reviews

Fun work, had the opportunity to talk with guests
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix Zoo, AZSeptember 17, 2018
I helped guests find the animals they were wanting to see, I gave information on animals that were in their enclosures and on animals we had out of their enclosures such as (scorpions, tarantulas, smalls snakes, lizards, etc)
Pros
I was able to visit the zoo with up to 6 other guests free of charge
Cons
There were not any cons that i can recal
Extra Holiday Money
Guest Experiences Senior Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2018
On your feet all day assisting guest with directions to other parts of the zoo. Repeating the same tasks multiple times a day. Days vary dramatically from quick paced always moving to a slow crawl varying with the amount of guest on site.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
short breaks
concession sales associate
Concession Stand Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 1, 2018
the job was very sketchy when I worked there and things never added up as they should have. it was nice job for what it was worth but i wouldn't recommend it long term or for a career.
Great work environment for those who love customer service
Guest Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85008March 19, 2018
I was hired for the holiday season and was kept on a little after before being let go. It was one of my favorite jobs I've ever had and I highly recommend it. There is a lot of diversity and tons of fun people. It's much slower during the warmer months and during the day versus the nightly Zoo Lights, but the heat and slower pace of that time would be the only drawbacks in my opinion.
Pros
Animals
Fun and Supportive Workplace
Senior Guest Services Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2018
Everyone deals with stressful customers and or guests, the zoo has no lack of them either. But the zoo stands by their policies and their employees, if you do your job and know your job well they will have your back 100%
Pros
discounted food, tickets, and free experiences for employees.
Cons
Short breaks, High volume of guests now and then, blackout days for requesting time off
Life at the Phoenix Zoo
Horticulturist/Irrigation (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 15, 2017
I am a biochemistry major who has always loved plants. I had a great time working as a horticulturist at the Phoenix Zoo. I had to leave due to school, but it was a great place with more wonderful experiences with all of the employees and the animals and everything else that I could have ever imagined.
Pros
freedom of work, regular hours
Cons
uncertain expectations, no room for growth
Has potential to be a great place to work but..
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2017
This place has so much potential but the management could be better with development of the staff. Upper management should guide and help middle management but it would appear as if they don't. The turnover rate in most departments is something that should be looked at and seriously considered. It is appaling. Something is not right. This is not just that its hot or that it does not pay the best issue, this is a management issue.
This is a non-profit Zoo, the pay discrepencies between upper management and the rest of the people who work so hard, show up everyday and keep the zoo running is also very unbalanced.
Pros
free membership, dedicated animal keepers, great hourly staff dedicated volunteer staff
Cons
Troubling turnover rate, management that doesn't listen
Fun professional work place
EXHIBIT GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2017
The Phoenix zoo is a place that allows you to grow as an animal enthusiast, educator, and service representative.It is competitive which keeps you on your A-game but everyone is supportive and there is honestly no better place to work.
Ready for a change
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2017
The Phoenix Zoo has been a great experience, just ready to broaden my horizons in a new and exciting career. I am greatful for the time I have spent with them and look forward to watching them grow their conservation efforts.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No paid breaks
great place if your're just starting out or looking to retire
Zookeeper/Animal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2017
I loved my time at the Phoenix Zoo and wouldn't trade it for the world. I wish that more full time opportunities had been available when my new supervisor took over. A change in management was exactly what our department needed, but by that time, I was burnt out from working two part time jobs, that I needed to part ways. I would also like to see the zoo offer some benefits to part time employees. However, every zookeeper know the sacrifices we make to take care of these animals and it's one worth making.
Pros
work with best animals, great supervisor, great work experience
Cons
not many job openings, no benefits for part time
Zoo Life
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 5, 2017
I didn't get to work with any of the animals, it was all people to people interactions but they were still fun. Almost all my time was spent outside which was beautiful warm.
Pros
Working at a Zoo
Cons
Not working with the animals
Fun/ nice people
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
I had a hard time at this job just because the management liked to pick favorites and I wasn't one of them. I loved being out in the zoo and helping guests with what they need.
If You Can Work At The Phoenix Zoo, Do It!
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2016
I loved my 17 years with The Phoenix Zoo, I began as a volunteer and left as a Park Ranger after 17 years due to moved out of state. Being a Park Ranger with The Phoenix Zoo was the best years of my working life, loved it! It is a non-profit zoo so do not expect to make a lot of money working there, is the way it is but if you can afford to live on the wages I highly recommend it!
Pros
Interacting and educating the public, working around and with the animals, the whole zoo atmosphere, terrific managers, working outdoors
Cons
hot summers
Learned a lot
Animal Diet Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2017
I learned a lot about how to work with different kinds of people. It's a very fast-paced, ever-changing job. Physically and mentally demanding. Occasional fun experiences.
Pros
Satisfaction providing something important for the animals
Cons
Some things are made more complicated that could be much simpler.
Fun and helpful place to work.
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2016
first off you get into the zoo for free for as long as you work there. You can get a lot of the exhibits for free as well, and if you want food all you have to do is show that you work there and you get an amazing discount which really helps out. people there are fun and helpful, easygoing when they can be but mostly just business when they need to be.
Pros
good environment helpful staff and great company.
Cons
short breaks.
Fun, interactive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2014
A typical day consists of a lot of heat and a lot of faces. Constant contact with customers as you're giving them directions or showing them where the animals in a certain exhibit are. You learned something new about the animals everyday. Management is really easy going, since it was self-scheduled you only showed up when you wanted to. Co-workers were really nice, since it was volunteer, only people who wanted to be there were there. The hardest part was dealing with the heat, in the summer it was really difficult to walk all the trails constantly. The most enjoyable part was just being there, seeing all the animals, learning about them and the general atmosphere.
Pros
discounts, free membership
Cons
heat
Lead Insturctor
LEAD INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2014
Set up and tear down camps
Prepare food
Delegate and organize nightly duties to instructors
Greet campers
Set expatiations for Staff, campers, teachers and parents
Teach and educate groups conservation and natural environments for animals.
Handle animals with safety protocols
Lead night hikes
Handle guest concerns
Communicate with Rangers and Supervisors any concerns that may arise.
Complete proper paperwork for each shift.
Ensure that all duties have been completed at the end of shift.
It was ok
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
It was an ok job. Not too good but not too bad. Great employees, but if you were working alone in an area you couldn't use the bathroom at all even if it was super slow. It does work around your schedule but you don't get many hours a all.
Exciting Career Working With Animals
Keeper I and Zooteen Mentor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 25, 2013
This is a hands on position working directly with animals. Typical days include feeding and cleaning up after various animals, interacting directly with zoo guests, and monitoring health related issues of the animals in your care. This is an incredibly physically strenuous position especially in the summer months. Keepers work outside often in temperatures exceeding 105*.
Decent part time work
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2017
Working for the phoenix zoo was a fun experience. While I worked there, I learned how to be efficient and manage large crowds. There was a large quantity of employees, so being a team player s most definitely a requirement.
Pros
Zoo membership, discounts, always on the move
Cons
Almost no advancement