Photogenic Inc.

Photogenic Inc. Employee Reviews

Better than starving
I’ve never experienced such blatant favouritism before in my life. Kissing up to the Alamo site manager got one ahead, even if the candidate stole from the register. Really. If the site manager doesn’t care for you personally, nothing you Do is good enough. A deadbeat who jokes around with Crystal has it made.
Good for learning the industry
If you want to learn about photo tourism, it is a good place to start. However, it is a seasonal job, regardless of what they say. The pay is awful. Hours get cut during slow season, as is typical with tourism jobs. Very little room for growth within the company. It becomes boring fast because there isn't a lot to do within the job. Good for part time to learn customer service skills, cashier experience, and learning about people in general.
Pros
Work in amazing locations
Cons
Combined 10 minute breaks with lunches, late lunches, no growth, not able to move within the company, favortisim
Poor Management
Nothing more to say. The interview and orientation was fine. But the managers can make the ambiance quite unpleasant. ..........................................
Not the best place...
You almost have to force people to purchase overpriced photo packages. Not to mention how understaffed and overworked we were. The employees were nice enough, but it felt like the managers seemed to genuinely take pride in firing and writing you up. They don't pay you enough for the kind of stress they put you under.
Busy, busy, busy job
It is definitely a fast-paced work environment that requires you on your feet at all time. Weather is not always ideal, but I mean it’s an outside seasonal job in Chicago, so I expected nothing less. As my first day had really bad rain, I still felt very welcomed by everyone.
Sometimes the work got stressful especially if you had to deal with some rude customers, but supervisors and management were understanding and helpful in the situations.

It’s not too hard to pick up extra shifts if you want more hours as there are always shifts that someone needs covered. But if you want days off submit IN ADVANCE. Almost all of the days I wanted off were approved.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Poor management
They made me feel very unwelcomed on my first day and I didn't return. Everyone should be selling photos. Everyone should be able to take 15 minute breaks every 2 hours instead of sitting in the hot sun all shift. The supervisor April was very rude to me on my first day and told me to just stick to selling photos when I tried to help her.
Pros
10% Discounts on food
Cons
Rude staff and gossip all shift
I loved this job
Unfortunately, I actually was paying to work at the Hearst Castle location in San Simeon. I lived 2 hours away and beach front hotels aren't cheap. I didnt work there long, but I loved the people I worked with and my boss was great!
Stressful
If you were part time, they’ll sometimes schedule you a full time shift..I learned that there’s favoritism..The managers were nice. Some supervisors worked unfairly and were disrespectful to some workers. The hardest part of the job was standing there like a statue for the entire shift waiting for visitors and customers and trying to please the higher ups. Being that one will tell you how to do one thing and the other would say another and then you would be called out for doing it wrong or not at all.
Great bosses
Even though it was just a part time job it was a great experience. You had chances to be creative . Work on sales techniques. Meet new people. And help customers make memories.
Pros
Possible career advancement
Cons
No real benefits health or paid time off unless you're a salary worker
Photogenic Inc
Work went by extremely fast due to location. Got to learn about the cameras and different features of them. The weather was kind of harsh sometimes but that comes with the job
Pros
Day went by fast
Not worth your time
I picked up this job because I can take pictures. I didn’t really know what I was getting into but I had a positive attitude about it. Working there got old fast and I started to notice things that bothered me. We had to be pushy to get people to buy photos. It seemed like a flawed system that we had to go find the customers. I think it would’ve made much more sense to have a photo booth that people could come to if they actually wanted their photo. The management sucked and the favorites piled on the work to me and my other coworkers who noticed their bias.
Terrible Management Team
This job is literally just for college students and people desperate for money. There is so much favoritism in this location, and you will be stuck doing their dirty work while being pressured to sell more. They have you force people to take photos and then go up to people and bother them into buying a expensive so not worth it photo package. They keep track every hour how many you’ve sold. The Manager always gave the Supervisors more hours than the rest. The manager and supervisors talk about you behind your back and with other employees. Also talk bad about past employees making fun of them. Oh the manager and supervisors take 2-3 hour lunches together. There has been so many times I’ve had Mental Breakdowns because of that job. The manager also brags about how many people she has fired and talks horrible things about previous employees. They would also just sit in the small office on the boat while your out selling.
Frustrating and poor management.
Very poor management. Hours were inconsistent. Poor structure and setup. No pay raise when promised. No advancement to those who deserve it. So much inconcincity in everything.
Unorganized
They are so unorganized fired everyone without notice job sucked bosses sucked and dont have good co workers either I loved taking photos and loved the people at the battleship
Horrible place to work.
Just as a note, I’m a Caucasian person, and all the crew and managers openly made racist comments about how “horrible” white people are while I was standing right there by them.

Managers are too busy playing games on their phones and talking about dirty things to make a functional schedule for the day.

Nobody shows up in time for you to go on break.

If you have a problem with how horrible the place is run the main manager will cut your hours to get back at you for complaining. Horrible woman.

Over worked and underpaid.
Cons
Productive and fun place to be welcoming of others
This job helped me break out of my shell and talk to others. developed great social skills for life and was able to learn more about technology being there.
Pros
Welcoming work place environment
Cons
short breaks
Great people
Great work team, fair management. Just too hot and too cold sometimes since you work outside. Meet different people from all over the world, sometimes they’re cranky sometimes they’re awesome
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working under all weather conditions unless hazardous
Most unorganized place to work
This job is for teenagers and retired elders, yet they make you work like its a fortune 500 company. Management SUCKS, and workplace culture is divided. OH, dont let me forget the hours SUCK. If you have nothing better to do and like dead end jobs this is for you.
Literally worst job
This job will suck your soul out especially if you were like me, thinking that this job would allow me to have creativity and do something I love. NOTE: this is NOT a photography job even though you "take pictures" you're pretty much a stand in for a photo booth and are allowed 0 creativity. Not to mention how much waste they make by unsold photos, and the HORRIBLE MESS of the back room is absolutely atrocious I found myself dreading to come to work because of this, and also my coworkers were incredibly rude. Often planned parties in front of other coworkers and would not invite us and talk badly. Managers even get in on it too, very bad place to work overall
Pros
Cons
Too many
Stressful Environment
Working for Photogenic was a waste of my time. Co-workers were great, but the pay was not worth it, and management plays favoritism. One in particular will belittle you, if you don't kiss butt, and make her look good.

There is no creativity behind the photos. It's strictly a sales job, so if you want to do something in Photography, it wouldn't be worth it. Also, hours aren't promised. Whatever hours you're working, expect even THOSE hours to be cut in half if the company isn't making money. Honestly, if you are desperate, go for it. You get cheap food at the venues, and get to work on boats. Besides that, I would look for better options.
Pros
not so much
Cons
low wages, no guaranteed hours, management
“Work Here At Your Own Risk”
I personally would recommend this job to someone who doesn’t have a life outside of work. Unfortunately Management continues to show inconsiderate attitudes to their employees schedules outside of work and they need excessive training on how to manage. Positions to advance within the company were only given to those out of favoritism and “privilege” (if you know what i mean). Venue staff is disrespectful to the Photogenic team and Management does nothing about issues that need to be handled. The Sales Photographers are always doing Management’s dirty work while they get off early to go home, and the Sales Photographers are always on the floor selling while management sits in the office doing nothing. If you want to work here go for it.
Pros
none.
Cons
none.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photogenic Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight