PhysAssist Scribes, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Challenging job for healthcare workers looking to further their career
ER Medical Scribe at Memorial Hermann Hospital (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMay 9, 2018
Scribing was an excellent way to gain medical experience for PA school. The knowledge you obtain from following providers and learning how to chart EMR and write soap notes is something that I was extremely thankful for once I began PA school.
Face paced
ER Scribe (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2018
very face paced job in the ER. Some positions are available in clinics, which i recommend. Hours were very long and pay was very little for the amount of work
Overstressed and Underpaid
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMarch 27, 2018
This job was an overall very stressful experience. This took place in a hospital emergency room in 12 hour shifts working for minimum wage. It is supposed to be worth it because of the experience you can gain in the position, but I don't think it was worth it at all.
Fast-paced and fun learning enviroment
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 14, 2018
Everyday I was able to learn/observe something new in the ER. The physicians I had the privilege to work were always willing to teach and explain their reasoning for procedures/orders.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
No set Lunch Break, Constant 8-12 hour work day.
Great experience
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXFebruary 25, 2018
This company is wonderful in that it provides a great experiences for students seeking to gain more experiences in the medical field and establish good relationships with physicians and other members of the health care team
Great place to learn
Emergency Department Scribe (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 25, 2018
I scribed in 3 different emergency departments. It was a great place to learn for future MDs, DOs, PAs, or NPs. The work experience depended on the physician you worked with. There are good days and bad days in the ED.
Do not recommend; check glassdoor.com job reviews
ER Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 25, 2018
Unless you plan on going to medical school and need clinical hours and experience; I do not recommend the job.

Management is basically a joke; they will move up anyone to Trainer, Head Trainer, or Chief Scribe and will completely OVERLOOK those with tenure or more experience.
No team support; almost IMPOSSIBLE to get shifts covered.
You get the flu or are excessively vomiting? Too bad, still have to go in to work because there is no one to cover you.

You qualify for any discounts provided by Team Health.
I am sure others have had a great experience working for this company; however, I have not. I have found nothing but poor management skills and no job advancement.

This job is amazing if you need clinical skills as it does provide with great experience and gives you the chance to create close relationships with ED Physicians, nursing staff, hospitalists, . Also gives you a good view of what working in the ED is like and helps you get used to the environment.

You get paid overtime and do get holiday pay. But expect to work 40-50 hours a week because there is a high turn over rate for employees and a lot of time; multiple people will quit and leave several shifts open for the rest of the team to pick up.

Short turn arounds are expected. Also expect to work days and nights within the time span of 1 day off, if any.
No lunch breaks. No breaks at all. You can take breaks depending on the pace of the ED, but don't expect them.
Pros
experience for medical school, OT pay
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, no paid time off, almost never any coverage, no team support
PhysAssist
ER Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 24, 2018
PhysAssist is a great job to work if you are interested in the medical field and want a career in being a nurse, PA, NP, or physician. The experience is abundant and you can foster great relationships with some physicians.
Pros
See new cases each and everyday and foster great relationships with physicians
Cons
No breaks, Very Low Wage, High Learning Curve
great experience, not so great pay
Emergency Room Scribe/Traveling Scribe (Current Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 17, 2018
This job is definitely more about the experience and networking potential rather than about the money. There is some opportunity for advancement, however.
Great place to work with advancement opportunities
Emergency Room Scribe (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 10, 2018
PhysAssist Scribes is definitely the best company in its field. Importance is placed on integrity, honesty, working hard, and continuous learning throughout the company, which promotes a very successful work environment. The company values not only providing the best services to its clients, but also achieving the goals of its employees.
Pros
Learn a lot about the medical field, provide an invaluable service to clients, gives you a leg up when applying for further medical education, make connections in the field
Cons
Rates of raises are slow for scribes, may feel like you are underpaid for the amount of work you do, shifts can sometimes go over the previously set time, may have difficult shift turnarounds
Good to learn medical terminology
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLDecember 27, 2017
Definitely helpful in learning all the medical terminology especially for those students who plan to go to medical school. It is fast paced and they give you plenty of hours to work.
PhysAssist
Emergency Room Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILNovember 18, 2017
Working for this company was great, however, this job is meant for individuals who enjoy quick paced environment and work well under stress. This job is mainly a stepping stone for those who wish to pursue a career in healthcare.
good for exposure only
scribe (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 3, 2017
good for clinical exposure only. no benefits whatsoever. pay is very very very subpar. company not structured well overall. On-site managers overworked and not compensated closely enough to the importance of their role/duties.
Great Experience
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 14, 2017
As a medical scribe, you follow the medical providers into the rooms and fill out from the moment they enter the ER to when they leave. Very educational and a great experience for ones wanting to be in a medical field as one learns A LOT.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Hardly help others succeed
Horrible
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 18, 2017
I would never work here again or continue, I came into this job thinking that this was going to be a great career path and this job knocked me off of healthcare for the rest of my life, I have been over worked to a point of exhaustion for money that cant even cover a bill. this company is built to destroy you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Stressful workplace
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 30, 2017
very fast paced work environment. The company expects you to learn everything in a week and if not then you could possibly get terminated. The most enjoyable part about the job was the ER experience and watching cool procedures.
Pros
ER experience, Medical terminology
Cons
fast paced, stressful, expectations are unreasonable.
Good for pre mid students
Scribe (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 30, 2017
It's the best opportunity for pre med students looking to gain maximal clinical experience. Scribes learn a lot working in emergency departments. Highly recommanded.
Great experience but poor treatment
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOApril 21, 2017
I worked for PhysAssist for 10 months in a semi rural ER. This is a great way to get experience in healthcare needed for PA school or to just see if you like medicine but I wouldn't count on it if you need a steady job with benefits. This is a job where they basically tell you that you are working for the experience and not the pay, which is code for being paid low wages. I started at minimum wage ($8.50 I believe) and after 300 hours of experience got bumped to $10/hour. They will claim you are full time but the schedules are so wacky you often will go one week working a full shift (13 hours at my site) and then have three consecutive days working the next week. Very inconvenient if you need the money for rent and aren't a student- which to be fair is who this job is geared towards. You have no benefits like time off and you have to find someone to cover a shift even if you are too sick to work (I had a fever and went in, the doc refused to work with me and my lovely chief scribe covered me even though she had already worked a half shift and had to double scribe). The management treats you like a number and won't really help you with anything. They give you awful scrubs that don't fit and if they don't work you have to buy your own, which is expensive. The shifts are long and sometimes you can literally be on your feet almost all day and not have any downtime expect to use the bathroom and scarf a granola bar. Basically you take breaks when the doctor does and if they don't take breaks, you get no breaks. If the ER is crazy busy then buckle up and get ready for some stress  more... to try and finish your charts- they have to be done by the end of the shift. You have to learn how to type super fast, learn medical terminology and anatomy, billing and coding, how to talk to multiple medical professionals, how to take criticism from the doctors and make sure your charts are accurate. For having to know that much knowledge to be successful, they sure don't pay enough.

Don't get me wrong, I got a ton of valuable experience being a scribe and I actually had a lot of fun and learned a lot. I made good friends working in the ER and experiences that I'll remember forever. The work place is usually very pleasant and fun because you work with doctors, PAs, NPs, and nurses as well as other scribes on shift. You get to see a lot of very cool stuff like CPR/codes, sutures, broken bones and everything in between. The physicians you work with are usually very nice and helpful and willing to teach (some would let us "read" x-rays when we weren't busy).

All in all, I learned a lot but I wouldn't work for them again unless I was being paid a lot more and had at least some sort of security and paid time off.
Pros
Great experience, interesting job, learn a lot of medical terms and knowledge
Cons
Terrible pay, no scheduled breaks, no paid time off, bad healthcare benefits, poor management, long hours
Political and stressful
Divisional Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2017
I can't believe I worked there for as long as I did. Management is terrible and the stress that gets put on the employees is mind-boggling. Good work doesn't get rewarded and loyalty is very one-sided. Any other company is better than this one if you are looking for employment.
Pros
Young employees=multiple happy hours
Cons
management, pay, direction of company, lack of transparency, understaffed and overworked
Terrible company to work for
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  PhyassistApril 6, 2017
As a scribe, your standard work day is lovely because of the staff you work with. However, this company's management is terrible. There are no benefits, no paid days off, no vacation days, and no bereavement periods. If you need ANY time off, it will be unpaid - so save up your money before you need to take any time. This company will say they want you to be around and move up higher - which you absolutely can - but while you're at the lowest point (mind you, they've all started as a scribe unless they're IT or the lawyer team) you will be treated like trash. This company is full of excuses as to why they can't do something for you to help you out. Also, they will lose your paperwork anywhere from one to five times. You will be constantly redirected to other people for one question rather than someone trying to help you directly. I don't recommend working for this company at all.