Physicians Mutual Employee Reviews

Great product training, but commission-only pay structure
Agent (Former Employee) –  Monona, WIOctober 8, 2018
If you are fine working on only commission you would do fine here. Their training on their products is very good. Beware if you do leave they will send you a bill for about half the commissions you were paid. You are a self-employed contractor so there are no employee benefits for health insurance, etc. You can make great money here but you want to have enough saved to actually live on for quite a while as it takes time to build up your book of business.
Pros
Good product training
Cons
Hard to live on commission-only
Great company
Agent/Salesman (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOOctober 3, 2018
I would have loved to stay, it only paid commission only. If I could have had a set salary, I would still be there. The management was awesome and the training was great.
Pros
great listeners
Cons
you work independently
Very Professional Company
Agency Field Service Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68131September 11, 2018
Busy environment, lots of call volumn and variety. Good salary and possibility of commission. Nice people. Offer good service and good products. Management is good to their staff.
Horrific
Big mistake
Help I'm drowning
Bad management
Cons
Worst decision of my career
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 31, 2018
Office location was OK - work equipment very dated.
Attendance policy was not enforced for ALL employees.
Some Management was unfair, biased, and unethical.
Repeatedly hostile and offensive work environment.
Annual increases were a joke and past due by months.
Pay was well-below industry average/competition.
Many Managers showed favoritism for certain employees.
Benefit costs and choices were average.
PTO was accrued hourly and not competitive.
Pros
Location, Free lunches, casual Fridays
Cons
Management, corporate structure, pay, unreasonable expectations
Keep Looking!!!
Telesales Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 24, 2018
In my tenure I experienced constant favoritism throughout the department. If you want great pay, this is NOT the job for you! As a professional I believe that your pay should reflect your efforts and unfortunately this is not the case at this place. Keep looking for better! Good luck!
Pros
Decent base pay
Cons
Commissions were nothing compared to what you make them!
Caring and Understanding management
Mail Specialist/Shipping & Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 13, 2018
I worked at both the home office and their print shop. The management at the home office seemed a little too stern at times, lot of brown nosing. The print shop management seemed to understand our personal needs more so than corporate. Still a great company.
Very fun place to work. Management is great.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 31, 2018
PMI is an awesome place to work. Management and training are awesome. I love meeting and helping people. They give you great leads and are there to help you every step of the way. They really want their people to succeed.
Pros
Great training/management
Cons
Home office is 2 hours away from me.
challenging
Insurance Agent/Producer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 24, 2018
my day starts with making phone calls to potential clients, setting an apptoitment to meet with them in person to get to no them and what their needs are. then go meet the person and talk about their situation and needs for insurance.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
no garauntees making a sale and paying for expenses
Competitive environment
Telesales Insurances Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2017
Co-workers were very eager to help you accomplish job duties.
Company had high revenue expectations and lack of commission to support this high revenue.

People are replaced like nothing in this role.
Pros
Great insurance benefits
Cons
Time stringent and micro-managed
One of the best in a tough industry
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 14, 2015
Good place to work if you want to work in commissioned insurance. Remember that there is no floor to your salary, no job security. You can easily have a negative income. But this company is among the best, treating its people like adults. The atmosphere is not high pressure, nobody is asking agents to twist arms of do uncomfortable things. My managers were excellent. The company provides leads and does not require agents list their 300 closest friends to go milk for sales. You are selling mostly to senior citizens. I would still be working there if the company was able to market well in my area. No insurance company does that well in rural markets with no large town in the territory.
Pros
Leads provided, good culture.
Cons
No floor to your salary. Be prepared.
Top notch environment, people, products and ethics.
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 3, 2013
This office was extremely difficult to leave due to the amazing management team and the collaborative atmosphere of the agent team, senior and administrative management.

It was easy to learn in this environment because the truth and desire to excel at understanding actual product benefits and the true differences in policies was not only necessary for success but a passion among the agents. Amazingly, it was almost a NEED of agents to make sure the entire sales staff knew these nuances and knowledge was shared with a vengeance.
Pros
top notch ethics and people, collaborative atmosphere, culture of thirting for knowledge and helping each agent know best practices
Cons
cold calling, uncertain income
Competitive work environment
Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 10, 2012
Sales team was 100% commission based. We were encouraged to purchase leads from outside sources. Additionally we were all given the same list to call from based on birthdays of potential Medicare Supplement buyers. The largest obstacle I found was that most people are now on a Federal Do Not Call list. And those that sent in lead cards, often argued that they did not, despite the fact that you were physically holding their signed cards. It is a great opportunity for those that can consistently handle rejection and Physicians Mutual has a very generous bonus program and compensation. The management was encouraging.
Pros
good direction and flexible schedule
Cons
highly competitive market
Horrible experience
Independent Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2018
This company was very disorganized and did not live up to the promises it made. They push their agents to sell Medicare supplements but probably 90% of the leads they give you is for their dental policy.

They spin it that you want to use the dental policy to get in the door to sell Medicare supplements but most people don’t qualify or their prices are way out of line with other companies . And the only product they do any advertising for is their dental policy. I guess they are keeping it a secret they sell Medicare supplements .

Their technology and processses are not at all updated. And they force their agents to hand deliver every policy . So I found myself driving an hour to deliver a dental policy that I maybe made a hundred bucks on. Again they try to spin it as a good thing but it is not their time and gas money .

Just another company that over promises and under deliverers . And then blames you when things are not working without taking any responsibly for their own problems .
Cons
Outdated company with poor management
Not bad
ASSISTANT DIVISION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 7, 2017
A lot of responsibility and ball to keep in the air. Challenging position but also is can be rewarding. Lots of independence depending on your manager
benefits
Cons
a lot
great place!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Home office basedAugust 22, 2016
Amazing place to work. They are all about family and the work life balance and offer a flexible schedule. The pay is comparable to other corporate companies. Benefits are what they are now days, no insurance is going to be like it was and Aetna is just fine.
There is really no advancement opportunities here though, you are where you are unless you want to make a lateral move to another area.
Pros
work-family balance, family-like departments, lots of employee engagement activities, lots of philanthropic work
Cons
health coverage, no advancement opportunities
Career opportunity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CarolinasDecember 14, 2017
It is my great privilege to represent this company. This company has provided me financial security , income growth, flexibility, and a career opportunity.

I have been with the company since 2009 and what attracted me as an agent was the financial strength of the company . Great place that offers you a career in the insurance industry representing an A+ company.

I love the company culture, support, free leads, incentives, convention destinations, training, innovative products, and great customer service for my existing clients.

There is no place I’d rather be ! Until I retire I will be around .

Thank you Physicians Mutual .
Started here 19 years ago and never plan to leave
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 29, 2017
I began working at Physicians Mutual in 1999 thinking it would help pay the bills for a few years until I found what I really wanted to do. The family culture and management is great. I still enjoy getting up and coming to work. My coworkers work with me in a collaborative fashion and people truly want to see you succeed ... I will work here until I retire. Do yourself a favor and apply at Physicians Mutual!
Pros
Mutual company, so decisions are made to benefit the business...not stockholders
This was a very busy place and the campus was beautiful...
Teleservices Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha NESeptember 1, 2015
I work the phones assisting members with their claims and understanding their policies. (Medicare Supplement). I learned how to plan for my retirement. Management was moved around a lot like most call centers. The co-workers were helpful as much as possible being on the phone. The hardest part was the salary were not very high and not a lot of incentive to gain more. The most enjoyable part is the job was very close to home.
Pros
The had a very nice food court.
Cons
thhe Salary did not icrease much...
Great building and nice people
Licensed Agent Insurance (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 28, 2017
Made them lots of money for little compensation for me
Very time stringent
Very high goals make it necessary to stay focused 24/7 to make "Goal:

Goals and expectations change all the time and are very hard to reach
Pros
Great people
Cons
lack of money vs ANBP I made them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Physicians Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight