Physicians Mutual
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100
Physicians Mutual Employee Review

Physicians Mutual Agent Review - Makes sales at all costs, no support, unethical management

January 22, 2021
First off, the good. Physicians Mutual has a great medicare supplement policy. It has additional benefits that aren't typically found in medicare supplements. It has average dental coverage, but agents aren't trained to educate on it correctly leaving customers with more out of pocket than anticipated. Their life insurance product line has be gutted leaving very few options that aren't reasonably priced in the marketplace. Their annuity product line was recently discontinued and replaced with another company that most financial professionals would agree is an extremely poor option. The unfortunate - This is pretty specific to the Nashville office, however I know there are directives that are taken from upper levels. The "free leads" they provide are extremely difficult to work with. Most are from direct mail campaigns. The conversion rate on these leads is low. Because of the limited product offerings, it is very hard to make this your sole focus. Current commission compensation is below average in comparison to other Medicare carriers. Almost every agent has other streams of income with many not even earning enough to be above federal poverty line. The former assistant division manager was very clear that "only 2 out of 100" make it past 2 years in this company. The current assistant manager has questionable ethics and pushed sales at the expense of client education. Many clients purchased plans with higher premiums without being explained that there was the same plan at a cheaper rate. This caused problems with the agents that tried to maintain high ethical - more...
Pros
Fantastic Medicare Supplement product offering
Cons
leads, ethics, direction of company
December 9, 2020
Same role
Agent (Current Employee) - Birmingham, AL
I haven't been with Physicians Mutual very long but find it to be a great place to work. The products they sell are superior as well as their training! I started during Covid-19 and mainly work from home however we meet every Friday currently on a WebEx. To start the day I get on the CRM they provide and gather the free leads they also provide. After gathering the leads I start making the calls or send text or emails. They also have where you can set up seminars to educate people on Medicare. Overall this is a great place to work!
Pros
Great support and free leads
November 25, 2020
Same role
Career Agent (Former Employee) - Lafayette, LA
Overall i did not feel they were there to benefit anyone but themselves , the management just wants to look good for upper management for bonuses, bad experience
October 12, 2020
Same location
Field Trainer (Former Employee) - Nashville, TN
The company was good for what it is, but it isn't something that the average person can succeed at. You learn that only 2 of 100 new agents will make it past 2 years. That alone should tell you that it isn't for everyone. You are sold on 80-100K potential in your first year. Its possible, but not realistic. Even the best agents in their first year don't earn more than 40K. Free leads that they tell you about, really aren't work anything as most of them are current customers they want you to sell more stuff to, or people returning generic mail cards. The issue is they don't have very much brand recognition, therefore your customers question the company. Very limited product line. Med Supp is in my opinion the best in the market. Dental is average, life and annuity products are well below average. I did hit all my startup bonuses and was promoted to field trainer within 30 days. But still, the residuals are poor and it is not enough to keep me here.
Pros
work from home
Cons
commission only, very limited product line
  1. Makes sales at all costs, no support, unethical management