Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

Found 2,194 reviews matching the search See all 2,309 reviews
Pier 1 Imports
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 30, 2018
While the overall culture seems upbeat and customer first There is definitely a disconnect between how a store runs and how to get competent people trained to do this. The pay and benefits are not comparable to other chains. This causes a lack of being able to retain excellent and efficient employees. The hours allotted to training are a minimum. There is a huge emphasis on opening credit accounts to the point of retaining people who are incompetent in other essential duties. This in turn puts a lot of strain on the management personnel who have to spend a lot of time fixing issues that arise and presents an overall perception of incompetence in general with our customers. We offer unique items and our customers do love the store. Being told how beautiful our store looks definitely is a high point.
Pros
Wonderful merchandise, positive people
Cons
Lack of training
Great people, fun and inspiring
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 27, 2018
Excellent health benefits package.
Generous paid time off for sick accruals and separate vacation accruals.
Provides free and relevant leadership training classes.
A majority have a Monday-Friday workweek.
Institution contributes to your 403b retirement account.
HR provides friendly, great support, with recruitment, employee relations, and
benefits issues/questions.
Pros
Excellent health benefits package
Cons
Lack of transparency surrounding criteria for advancement
Fun environment, Interaction with customers, Advancement opportunities
Sales Leader/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Fun place to work. I was allowed to grow, develope and expand in many areas. I was trained in sales, customer relations, leadership, and management. Valuable experience overall, and it was an honor to work with and learn from an incredible management team. I left the company with more tools, confidence, and knowledge.
Pros
Fun environment, customer interaction, employee discount
Cons
No breaks until 4 hrs have been worked, LOW pay raises
Credit Card Obsessed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 28, 2018
I worked at a Pier1 as a seasonal employee, and for being a job where often nothing at all happens it was surprisingly competitive because of the credit card they offer. They would hound us to peddle it to customers. They would keep tally of how many people each employee had signed up, and would always be pressuring us to give a sales pitch to whoever walked through the door. Customers didn't like it, as they were only there to browse clearance 99% of the time. Its a minimum wage job lacking benefits outside of an employee discount. And yes, every time you an employee at that very store, make a purchase they will try to push on you that credit card.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pushy
Great company but dept poor management
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 29, 2018
I absolutely loved my job as payroll coordinator. I loved working with my coworkers and working here. I gained a wider knowledge of multi state laws, LOA processing, garnishment processing positive pay, etc. I trained and learned almost every task. I was very impressed with the way the company valued its employees. It was a very pleasant work environment. The company always was doing something to show appreciation.
However, with the change in dept supervision and reduction in force the last year, the dept work environment changed to very low moral, unrealistic goals, disorganized, divided and phenomenal undue stress. Very unprofessional mgmt.
Pros
Great benefits, wonderful company charity events.Awesome coworkers. Loved the new company mission
Cons
Disorganized dept mgmt.
They take advantage
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 7, 2018
There are no pros for working for this company. They wouldn't care if an employee was shot and bled to death on the sales floor as long as they were making their sales and bringing in money. There are no benefits. They purposely try to pay you less than you are qualified and make it nearly impossible to ever receive a raise above 20 cents a year if you're even lucky enough to get that. All of the management is extremely lazy and only cares about making their bonuses while they run their people ragged. I've worked in several stores in a management position and they are all the same. They undermine you and take advantage in any way they can. It's nearly impossible to get time off.
Great Leadership
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 11, 2018
This company helped me through my maternity leave getting me set up with programs that they offered to help me receive as much pay as I could get and helped me ease back into work after 3 months off. I never once felt that my job was in jeopardy and my manager even allowed me to come back working minimum full time hours for the 1st few weeks while I was adjusting to my new parenting role. My store manager was one of the best managers I have ever had in my career. She made sure that we knew our families came first and she always put our team before anyone else.
Pros
Benefits, pay, discount
Cons
short breaks
Pier 1 Imports
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 25, 2018
This is a fun job that requires skills in Customer Service and Sales.We work as a Team and everyone contributes to the team by working diligently on tasks at hand. The company continues to streamline it's marketing by offering new and innovative products. Pier 1 offers a flexible work schedule. On the downside, the company is not keeping up with the market with regards to salary and benefits. There is little commission on sales for Associates and Sales Leads, with regards to the volume of items being sold in the store. In addition, there isn't any incentive for career advancement as most of the people that work here consider just a part time extra income job.
P1 was a good company to work for.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 2, 2018
The organization as a whole has a great company culture. Employees are encouraged to be courteous and helpful to one another. Product knowledge courses and training seminars help associates feel comfortable with the product they are selling.
Pros
salary, benefits, paid time off, employee discount
Cons
inconsistent work schedules, too long shifts for salary employees with no over time
Fun entry level work environment with flexible part time hours
Shift Manager and Inventory Processing (Current Employee) –  Easton, PASeptember 14, 2018
The compensation for entry level positions like a sales associate position pays slightly more than minimum wage. Overall the job responsibilities are low-stress. Most positions require customer service and communication skills and on-the-job training to run the cash registers as well as inventory look-up and online order processing systems.

Some stores may also have availability for employees to mainly do freight processing and display sets/ merchandising but usually at least a few hours of selling and customer service are expected/ required.

This job employs me part-time and accounts for my second income. My manager has and the company has always been very pleasant to work for and very reasonable with flexible hours/ scheduling. Added bonus to this job: the associate discount for things to decorate with and use to accent my home; the merchandise items are unique and beautiful.
Pros
Low stress
Cons
Health benefits difficult to manage/ afford for part time employees, Hours require weekends and holidays
my time at pier one
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 12, 2018
I loved working for pier one as my first job. Little did I know that management was hard for them to replace when they needed to. Not many people who worked there for years wanted to promote either. Why? the pay wasn't that much better and the time put into the store was crazy. Management was crazy when I left the company as they went through several managers. I loved the team but many left due to the management changes. Although Pier was very flexible and appreciated their workers the benefits weren't that great and PTO was almost non-existent. Also the possibility of raises was rare. They had yearly raises and not fair ones when they were offered. Not enough to stay and a total let down.
Good if it's all you can get
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLNovember 27, 2018
I took it only because it was the first thing offered after so many months out of work, pay sucked, management was ok, but I think sometimes left and right hand didn't speak. No benefits for me, I was part time, I got another job and out of pity kept this one, but glad I left. Customers were pretty great though.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
pay, pay
Good For the time
Receiving Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 20, 2018
Chances for advancement are scarce but available. If warehouse work is something you excel at this place may be for you. Management was ok, training for positions is good.
Pros
Training, 401k, lots of pto
Cons
May be required to work holidays
na
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 15, 2018
They are a good company, job culture is good, management is decent, work life balance is good. Compensation is decent and the people are great to work with.
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 15, 2018
Very good explanation very good training very good people very good supervisor very good manager very good job perspective open hand good training experience good opportunity and good benefits good job thank you very much for your shoulder for everything
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Very fun and rewarding place to work
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 29, 2018
I loved working with Pier 1. There was a great balance between home and work. Everyone I worked with loved what they did and had fun doing what they love. Pier 1 values their associates and will make investments in their associates. They provided training tools and wellness guides. Happy associates are productive associates. The benefits provided are the best. It is truly a wonderful place to work. You have great leadership, colleagues and amazing views while working in Fort Worth's most beautiful building next to the Trinity River!
Pros
Gym with Showers on site - YMCA Instructor twice a week
Cons
Sometimes it's faster to take the stairs than it is to take/wait for an elevator.
Pier 1 Imports is a great stepping stone for those entering the workforce looking for customer service experience.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 16, 2018
Pier 1, is a great place to gain customer relation experience. The company has a long way to go as far as providing support for management and sales associates. It could be more inclusive in gathering intel from the employees who work up close with customers on an everyday basis. They would gain valuable in-site on how the company and individual stores could improve.
Pros
Associate Discounts
Cons
Inconsistent hours, low pay raises and demo presentations.
Clean with friendly atmosphere, everyone gets along well. Nice and helpful management. Training could be a little better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 20, 2018
Pier 1 Imports is a great place to work, however it is part-time only and pays minimum wage. 25% discount for employees. No other benefits except for management
Cons
30 minute lunch, no breaks
pleasurable atmosphere with positive competitiveness among coworkers
Interim Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 27, 2018
enjoyable sales position that offered advancement while ensuring flexible hours, compensation, compassion to personal needs and rewards for hard work and product sales incentives.
This was a part-time position
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ponte Vedra Beach, FLSeptember 10, 2018
There were not enough work hours available. Because of the lack of hours and the on-call nature of the job, it was not worth the compensation. The local management and staff were very nice to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pier 1 Imports. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight