Pier 1 Imports Employee Reviews

Found 2,367 reviews matching the search See all 2,493 reviews
This ship is sinking fast
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 25, 2019
With all of the corporate BS over the last year, they’re scrambling to try to recover the many customers they lost when AJ was CEO. He drove the company into the ground with a big smile on his face. The store has basically turned into ‘discounts-r-us’ and that attracts a completely different kind of customer than what we used to have. I’ll be surprised if the company isn’t bought out or just closed down within the next year.
Pros
It’s easy to get days off, many shifts are only 6-7 hrs, even for Sales Leaders
Cons
Upper management sucks, you have to fight hard to get decent pay
Productive and fun
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 24, 2019
I have been working 20 to 24 hrs a week. Recently my hours have been reduced between 13 and 19 hours which is not what I had applied for. I need consistency in my weekly hours
Competitive and fast-learning environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 24, 2019
The work environment was very competitive but also fun. I enjoyed having to work hard for a sale or to get a customer to apply for a credit card. Management was alright but they lacked professionalism. I learned many things about furniture and how to even put it together. I learned how to better decorate my home and help others to do so.
Stressful
Operations Manager/Stockroom Coordinator (Current Employee) –  RedlandsJune 20, 2019
Pier 1 is a place with amazing product but it’s a very stressful environment. You must follow people around and beg them to basically shoo so you make a sale.
Learned Lots of Customer Service Skills
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 18, 2019
I am grateful for my experience with this company. My manager was AMAZING and so caring. I learned how to interact with all sorts of clientele during my time there. I learned how to up-sell and I learned a lot about interior decorating and quality awareness when it comes to home goods. I owe a lot of my customer service skills to this job.
Always an adventure
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2019
I truly enjoy my position at Pier 1. There's many challenges, and much to learn, but It's a simple easy job if you just give it a respectable amount of effort.
loved working there
Stockroom Manager and Interim Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ 07652June 15, 2019
Loved working for Pier 1. Treated fairly and with respect. Was given opportunities for growth. Management was great in store it was a home away from home environment . Only reason I left was the did away with my position. Otherwise I wouldn't have left.
Slow paced job with no benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 14, 2019
Managers and coworkers were great, but the work hours barely went over 5 hours per day. And I would only work about three days a week. Sometimes I went a whole week without being scheduled
Pros
friendly customers, great management
Cons
no benefits, no breaks, short work days
There is a reason Pier 1 is going out of business
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 12, 2019
Worst management ever. They care too much about pushing credit cards. They have the “customer is always right” attitude and don’t back and protect the associates. An extremely demanding job for such minimal pay. Corporate office Micromanages everything and sets unrealistic goals. They will probably go out of business soon. So if you’re looking for grey hairs and low pay. Apply today!
Pros
Learn about home decor
Cons
Literally everything
A fun place to work, cool merchandise but demanding sales, credit card and visual expectations with little support.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJune 12, 2019
Employed full-time for over 15 years, worked every shift and position from Sales Associate to District Manager. Job is fun but very demanding in terms performance of sales/KPIs, payroll, credit cards, visuals. Some recognition for achievements, but a good job can go unnoticed by distracted supervisors. Written communications from the HO are expected to be interpreted and executed with little support. Peer relationships was the saving aspect. Salary store managers expected to "work until the job is done", which for some unqualified, undertrained, unsupported could mean well past 50 hours. Lots of cost cutting in the past few years made it almost impossible to hire skilled employees that could achieve the expected results. Would go back as a PT employee to do "fun stuff" like stock and merchandising. Not interested in the politics of management.
Pier 1 imports is good place to work at.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 11, 2019
Good place to work, management can use a bit of work on their
communication. Just like every job it has its ups and downs. I would recommend trying to get into receiving if you are looking into staying really busy. I was in the receiving department for most of my remaining years that I worked there and I never really had any complaints. Keep in mind I haven't worked there in about a year. I'm sure many things have changed. Overall the company is a really great place to start, the benefits are really good and overall the associates are welcoming.
Build a family with associates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 10, 2019
Need to recognize the hard work most associates do, better raises, and stop giving the customers always right, they take advantage of the company’s willingness to make things right.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Not much money for hard work n heavy lifting, always cutting hours.
A great, friendly and wonderful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 10, 2019
Pier 1 is such a lovely place to work. Managers always thanked me for doing a good job after work and the employees were all so sweet. The work wasn't bad and the customers tended to be nice. The only bad thing was the hours and the pay but I loved the work environment there.
Pros
The best work environment I've been in
Cons
Low pay and low hours
Don't do it
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 9, 2019
While things might have changed since I was there, Pier One demanded that part time employees be "on call" for multiple days a week, during which you had to call in two hours before your shift to see if you even had to go in. It made having a life next to impossible.

Communication was utterly nonexistant, they would schedule people for events without telling them what was what, allowed other employees of similar rank to act like managers and run roughshod over you.

Their products frequently come in reeking of mildew and mold and as someone with asthma, unpacking them was a nightmare but was better than being on the salesfloor, being hounded to get people to sign up for credit cards they didn't need nor want.

I'm a very small individual and they would frequently have me single handedly placing chairs above my head along the top of the display walls... On a ladder. Alone.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pushy about upselling, on-call shifts, poor communication, no support for employees, midewy products
Okay if you like your boss
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJJune 9, 2019
Worked here for a year and I ended up leaving because management was so bad.
Store manager was overly critical and nothing you ever did was good enough. Literally everyone in my store was trying to find another job when I left. Numerous sales associates, sales leads, and even the assistant manager filed multiple complaints about the store manager and nothing was ever done about it. Most of the people who left, left because of the store manager.
The work was okay. Standard kind of retail job.
Company really really really pushed signing up for their loyalty program and for the credit card.
Great first job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 8, 2019
First job out of high school, very friendly staff and great working environment. Pay was not great but employee discount and perks was worth it. Management was nice, even the higher-ups.
Nothing great to say.
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJune 6, 2019
Cheap stuff overpriced. Nothing else to say because it is not nice. If you want to be stabbed repeatedly in the back, definatly seek this employer. You will be left scratching your head with disbelief.
Pros
small discount on stuff NOT on sale
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work, however....
Management (Former Employee) –  InJune 6, 2019
Company is always changing policies, new procedures, and how to do things. It’s like the right. Doesn’t know what the left is doing. No competitive wages. The list goes on.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Very low pay
Great place to start out
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 5, 2019
I enjoyed the creativity I got to show when I worked at this store. I was able to manage people and use my visual talent. I moved up in the company very quickly because I had people that believed in me.
Pros
Always visually appealing
Cons
sales goals
Cute place to work but lots of heavy lifting!
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 5, 2019
It was rewarding helping people find products for their home to make it a home. But I also found myself working alone with sometimes no help with big furniture. I was pregnant lifting a couch at one point! I also broke my toe when a gigantic mirror fell on it while i was cleaning it. Other than that it was a fun environment.
Pros
Fun environment and great discounts
Cons
Short breaks and sometimes heavy lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pier 1 Imports. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Pier 1 Imports.

Powered by Comparably